Grey Cup Tickets

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Ravi wrote:
Out of curiosity, why was Scott Ackles not called upon to run this Grey Cup? Furthermore, why hasn't he been called upon to run the Lions' franchise?
I would love to see Scott Ackles with the Lions in some capacity. He has much to offer.
I too have found it all so curious too.

Why he left Calgary as President - a good job IIRC- to come back here to run the GC in 2011 was odd and now not on the scene.

I see in Dr Sport Greg Douglas that Jim Young - Dirty 30 - has 4 tickets and he left his cell number in the column as he is guest of some other outfit now but had four from before. Apparently he will also autograph them.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Plus the fact that season ticket holders had the opportunity to purchase additional tickets at the same price as STH before it went on sale to the public.
Sorry, I don't follow that... STH had opportunity to purchase at same price as STH? Could you correct (or elaborate on) that?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Ravi
Legend

Can you get a more negative report on the eve of the Grey Cup game than this one which appeared on CTV's national news tonight?: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/organizers ... -1.2125564
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:Can you get a more negative report on the eve of the Grey Cup game than this one which appeared on CTV's national news tonight?: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/organizers ... -1.2125564
That was probably written in Toronto. I haven't heard of any price-slashing, let alone "rock bottom prices." And the 1,000 "great seats still available" are singles or nosebleeds.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Ravi wrote:Can you get a more negative report on the eve of the Grey Cup game than this one which appeared on CTV's national news tonight?: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/organizers ... -1.2125564
That was probably written in Toronto. I haven't heard of any price-slashing, let alone "rock bottom prices." And the 1,000 "great seats still available" are singles or nosebleeds.
The price-slashing is referring to aftermarket brokers.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Plus the fact that season ticket holders had the opportunity to purchase additional tickets at the same price as STH before it went on sale to the public.
Sorry, I don't follow that... STH had opportunity to purchase at same price as STH? Could you correct (or elaborate on) that?
If I recall correctly, season ticket holders could purchase Grey Cup tickets at a reduced price before they went on sale to the general public. In 2011 STH were given an opportunity to buy additional seats (aside from their own seats) at the reduced price.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
The price-slashing is referring to aftermarket brokers.

BTW, it WAS written in Toronto. Or at least, the writer self-identifies his co-ordinates as Toronto on his twitter page: "Journalist. Writer for CTVNews.ca and weekend web editor for The Hockey News. Comic fan. Toronto, Ontario." Maybe he should stick to hockey.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If he's from Toronto, what would he know about hockey ? :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:If he's from Toronto, what would he know about hockey ? :wink:
That's prob where the Debby Downer angle comes from.
Ravi
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:If he's from Toronto, what would he know about hockey ? :wink:
That's prob where the Debby Downer angle comes from.
Did anyone see CTV's national newscast tonight? Please watch if you haven't already although it will get your blood boiling. This same reporter - Peter Akman - made it sound like there were 20k empty seats at tonight's game. :shock:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

We all know that the Centre of the Universe can sell out the Grey Cup. Never mind the fact that a lot of fans come masqueraded as empty seats.
Ravi
Legend

Here is the report that I was just referring to: http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2126126

This was preceded by Sandie Rinaldo asking the reporter what the "real story" of the Grey Cup was.
dupsdell1
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:We all know that the Centre of the Universe can sell out the Grey Cup. Never mind the fact that a lot of fans come masqueraded as empty seats.
He was right on some points last Sunday there were 7000 tickets still available but a lot of these seats were not given away , in fact only about a 1000 were to military and needy sports organizations, there were 1300 seats unsold but everyone showed up and had a great time on tv looked completely packed , and that is what the CFL wanted to look like, did you guys know that I was at the super bowl last year and there were about qa 1000 tickets unused and scalpers were selling right before games time a 1500 ticket went for 550 . of course if there is any negativity that happens to the cfl those idiots will do anything they can to spoil it. especially from back east , in fact when I was in Toronto at the 2007 grey cup in Toronto yes it was sold out , but the party before the game was pathetic nothing to do except throw a couple of footballs were I found this celebration one of the best and I have been to a lot of super bowls and grey cups.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:Here is the report that I was just referring to: http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2126126

This was preceded by Sandie Rinaldo asking the reporter what the "real story" of the Grey Cup was.
"All the empty seats". Feh. Well, where's all the visuals of section after section of emptiness? Oh right, there were none. This is why the kids always say, "Pics or it didn't happen."

The media can be VERY lazy sometimes. Just go along with whatever narrative happens to be already out there. Why bother having to write a whole new story when the facts start to get in the way?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:We all know that the Centre of the Universe can sell out the Grey Cup. Never mind the fact that a lot of fans come masqueraded as empty seats.
He was right on some points last Sunday there were 7000 tickets still available but a lot of these seats were not given away , in fact only about a 1000 were to military and needy sports organizations, there were 1300 seats unsold but everyone showed up and had a great time on tv looked completely packed , and that is what the CFL wanted to look like, did you guys know that I was at the super bowl last year and there were about qa 1000 tickets unused and scalpers were selling right before games time a 1500 ticket went for 550 . of course if there is any negativity that happens to the cfl those idiots will do anything they can to spoil it. especially from back east , in fact when I was in Toronto at the 2007 grey cup in Toronto yes it was sold out , but the party before the game was pathetic nothing to do except throw a couple of footballs were I found this celebration one of the best and I have been to a lot of super bowls and grey cups.
We all know the NFL is the be all and end all. The media can be so naïve sometimes focusing on the negatives.