Good-bye Dante

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm not a stats guy but I wonder if there was ever another CFL short side corner that played that spot for 11 years?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:....

Dante made a ton of plays over the years however if there was one play I wish he could have a do-over on, it was the interception last year that he nearly ran back for a TD. He accidentally stepped out of bounds while running it back on the 5 yard line. Instead of a TD, Lulay came in and two plays layer dislocated his shoulder running it in for a TD. If Marsh scores as he should have, the last two years could have been much, much different.
This. Remember that play oh so well. Seemed like such a basic mistake and in the end it cost us big time.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Big Time wrote:....

Dante made a ton of plays over the years however if there was one play I wish he could have a do-over on, it was the interception last year that he nearly ran back for a TD. He accidentally stepped out of bounds while running it back on the 5 yard line. Instead of a TD, Lulay came in and two plays layer dislocated his shoulder running it in for a TD. If Marsh scores as he should have, the last two years could have been much, much different.
This. Remember that play oh so well. Seemed like such a basic mistake and in the end it cost us big time.
No team nor no seasson(s) is about one person or one play.

If there was a do over I'd suggest the opposite to what Lulay said he 'd do - Not try and take on a DB and just go out of bounds. Trust the RB to do their jobs. There are better QBs than Lulay who wouldn't do what he did and some are in the HOF and others on their way as their careers are long from playing well for a lot of years as they don't risks that get them hurt and put their team at risk of a losing season or lost game.

Check the media - the HC lost some players at points. There were players even parking where told not to - McCallum said it was done in a way that reflected their overall attitude and team approach. How teams are off field (practice, learn, prepare) mirror what happens on field. Now we are hearing stories from unnamed mostly players who are saying there were issues.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Watching his statements was kinda refreshing. He made it clear he's doubtful he'll be back and that not having guys like Banks probably hurt this team.... I'll be sorry to see him go unless he retires (because he wants to!). Sure not going to enjoy him strutting to the endzone during a PICKSIX on whomever is taking BC Lions QB snaps next season........
Dusty
Champion

I think Marsh is at a career stage where he is "1 season more" and like many others, that is a dangerous place to be. Marsh might be missed, but he can be, and should be replaced. In fact, Ryan Phillips is at the same place in his career and I would not be bothered is either player did not return to the Lions except on a visiting team. Both can be beaten and will be in the coming year.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:A fantastic BC Lion...one of my favourites because you never had to worry about Dante...very good pretty much every single game...plus he was a big hitter and caused a lot of fumbles! The 2011 and 2012 seasons with he and Banks on the short side were just beautiful to watch...SHUT DOWN city...they were such a dynamic duo for this team...

I am actually glad Dante leaving us at this point, he doesn't need to go through the mess that's coming...

To Dante Marsh, all my love and thanks!!! He has to be considered the best Lion's CB in history with his longevity...what an honour for Marsh and for me to have watched him play all these years!!!!!

All the best Dante!!! Please say hello to Korey Banks from all of us!!!
And this means enough to me that I'll mention it twice.

Dude would straight up tackle a guy. I mean, put the head down and drive the shoulder into you, whether you were a RB or not. He wasn't like a lot of other Corners and Halfbacks who would try to ole or fingertip you. He took pride in hitting in a way that was rare for his position. I've always admired that about him.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

cromartie wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:A fantastic BC Lion...one of my favourites because you never had to worry about Dante...very good pretty much every single game...plus he was a big hitter and caused a lot of fumbles! The 2011 and 2012 seasons with he and Banks on the short side were just beautiful to watch...SHUT DOWN city...they were such a dynamic duo for this team...

I am actually glad Dante leaving us at this point, he doesn't need to go through the mess that's coming...

To Dante Marsh, all my love and thanks!!! He has to be considered the best Lion's CB in history with his longevity...what an honour for Marsh and for me to have watched him play all these years!!!!!

All the best Dante!!! Please say hello to Korey Banks from all of us!!!
And this means enough to me that I'll mention it twice.

Dude would straight up tackle a guy. I mean, put the head down and drive the shoulder into you, whether you were a RB or not. He wasn't like a lot of other Corners and Halfbacks who would try to ole or fingertip you. He took pride in hitting in a way that was rare for his position. I've always admired that about him.

Yep...this is why I think he has to go down in history as the best BC corner...consistently very good play, great hitter, no injuries, good leader, great team attitude, honest...just a great football player and he and Banks define why the CFL is SO IMPORTANT...without a this league there would never have been Dante Marsh's, Kory Bank's, Pinball Clemon's, Darren Flutie's, or Ron Lancasters...besides all the great CDNs, this league has given incredible careers to a host of phenomenal American talent!!!

Love Live the CFL!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

An amazing talent. Best all-round boundary corner I've seen in a BC uniform so I hope he makes the Ring Of Honor, certainly the Wall Of Fame.

Can't help but wonder if there hadn't been the friction and acrimony that was hinted (with Bene over missing a run-down and not staying in town for rehab for which I side with Dante, and rumblings of discontent with Mark W) that he would have been back next year - perhaps restructured contract or reduced role?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MexicoLionFan
Legend

David wrote:An amazing talent. Best all-round boundary corner I've seen in a BC uniform so I hope he makes the Ring Of Honor, certainly the Wall Of Fame.

Can't help but wonder if there hadn't been the friction and acrimony that was hinted (with Bene over missing a run-down and not staying in town for rehab for which I side with Dante, and rumblings of discontent with Mark W) that he would have been back next year - perhaps restructured contract or reduced role?

You know David, while as a coach you don't want "cancers" on the team, you NEED some guys that will speak their mind...it actually helps a coach a ton to understand the mood of the team before anything goes too far in any direction...so of my absolute favourite players were the kids that were a little standoffish at first and did speak their mind, always in a respectful tone mind you...Marsh always struck me as the kind of guy that wouldn't say anything, to anyone, until he felt he needed to...those are comments that as a coach you need to hear!

Plus, by having a strong bond with the veteran players, the vets feel more empowered to "watch over" the younger guys as they know you have their back...if and when Benny lost this team, it was when he lost the Marsh's, the Phillips, and the Glenn's of the team...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

I was somewhat conflicted, MLF. Ordinarily I prefer when things are kept within the confines of the lockerroom. Not a big fan of players "speaking out." But this was an exceptional situation, so I applaud Dante Marsh, Ryan Phillips, and Paul McCallum for giving us insight into what's really going on (McCallum seemed to be more critical of the players but, by extension, it's an indictment of the organization for fostering that environment).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

They have that opportunity because frankly, of the three, the only one that sounds even possible to be back is Phillips and so if he is speaking out, I suspect that he doesn't believe he is going to be back either.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Yup, it really was odd seeing these guys be so frank. Often the chats with the media, you know guys are trying to say the right thing (or even more importantly NOT say the wrong things). Refreshing but its a shame it takes a season ending blowout to hear how they really felt....
dat
Rookie

Yes, Dante Marsh was a great DB and a good leader with a great work ethic. One of my all time favourite Lion DB's along with Larry Crawford and a few others.

DAT
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

War of Tweets with Arceneaux claiming Marsh was on HGH. Strong, condemning words.

Check this out for a lack of love.
Some excerpts of the conversation, edited for clarity:

Marsh: U are basic cable; respect a (Hall of Famer) and make me a believer.

Arceneaux: That wasn’t a good game, nothing spectacular at all. U sat in zone (defence) for 10 years in B.C.

Marsh: You sound mad. I played man (defence) U just couldn’t read what it was. Everything looked the same.

Arceneaux: You never been a man-to-man corner ...

Marsh: U must have forgot I played (short-side) corner. U can’t play zone all the time ... when u play more than a decade and considered one of the best to ever play ... talk 2 me.

Arceneaux: Korey Banks made your career ... when he left you was just another 30+ year old on HGH.

Marsh: I’m blessed with great genes and a tremendous workethic.

Arceneaux: ... No need to be mad at me. U blackballed yourself ...

Marsh: Mad? At who? I’m good. U sound stupid. Maybe I will let you hold one of (my) rings. (You) won’t get one ... focus on winning five games and playing a full season.”
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That's pretty nasty.
Last edited by TheLionKing on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.