Lions' Quarterback Roster ... 2014, 2015 ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

dtrain wrote:What about this option:
Trade for Drew Tate?
He can't be content as a #2 in Calgary, not sure of the length of his current contract, but Huff must realize this.
In my mind, best option other than a healthy Lulay, which simply isn't bankable.
Lions need to offer fans something to get excited about.
All the previous options mentioned above do not make me want to renew season tickets.
I don't blame Glenn for all the wowes of 2014, but i have no interest in seeing him back in orange.
I think a trade like this would give the team a much needed buzz that they'll need, good for the league too, not enough QB depth league wide to have a guy like Tate as a backup.
If you trade for Tate then you need Kevin Glenn in case of injury. I suspect Hufnagel if he gave up Tate would take Glenn PLUS some other valuable asset - meaning the Lions likely won't trade.

Glenn can only be successful in a system like Calgary where they have a good O-Line who can give him time to make the reads and a running scheme that enables even a back up to come in and perform ably. They don't panic when Cornish goes down.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnHenry
Champion

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:For those considering Tino Sunseri as a viable option for the future, may I say two words and a number:

Kerry Joseph, 41.
I suggested signing Sunseri along with D. LaFevour with hopefully one of them progressing to become the starter. Sunseri's stock is fairly low at this time, so he could probably be signed for a fairly low salary, if he thought he'd get a chance to play (although 70% of Riderville fan forum voters want him resigned, but not Joseph or Doege).

Unlike most people it seems, I was favourably impressed with Sunseri. I believe the Riders made a colossal misjudgment in benching Tino for K. Joseph. I think the Rider's braintrust in hindsight would agree with that. They may have "burned their bridges" with Tino and he might be open to moving on. While LeFevour is an good scrambler, Sunseri could turn out to be the better passer. Many scrambling QB's turn into pocket passers by their 3rd or 4th seasons, after the hits and injuries take their toll.

Other QB candidates include J. Beck, T. Partridge, K. Glenn, T. Lulay, B. Brohm (who looked very good in his last game). But after watching Rogers wobbly passes in the 5-second twitter video announcing his signing, the jury could be out on him.

With Tate, I don't think he's Wally's kind of QB and I wouldn't see the Lions trading for him.

I had supported K. Glenn earlier in the season and suggested the Lions sign him long-term to a premier backup's salary. That still probably makes since, as long as Lulay is healthy enough to start or another prospect can come to the forefront.

:roar:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As Wally suggested, we might be in for some humble times for a year or two.

I would expect Wally to sign Kevin Glenn.

If we thought this year was bad, next year could see us down with Ottawa, without an experienced QB.

John Beck could be a dud. Or he could rekindle that magic he had in college. Dunno ...

I like the look of Partridge.

Que sera, sera ...

So much depends on the HC signing.

And the QB.

Travis Lulay? He gave us one Grey Cup. :thup: Dunno if we can expect more from him. His injuries are a tragedy. The leadership he provided was extraordinary.

We see how fast a team can recover, as with Edmonton. We will see ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote:With Tate, I don't think he's Wally's kind of QB and I wouldn't see the Lions trading for him.
WestCoastJoe wrote:So much depends on the HC signing.

And the QB.
And therein lies the complex question we won't know the answer to for a while. Who will be playing the bigger role in determining BC's 2015 QB path? I am a believer that given the importance of the QB position such a pivotal decision must be a consensus thing with input from GM, HC and OC. However I would submit that if the determining factor is who Wally's kind of QB is then has anything changed? This time around I think it has to be about who is the new HC's kind of QB and less about who is Wally's.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Bobbyp
Champion

I say Tate as well .
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
The_Pauser
Legend

Bobbyp wrote:I say Tate as well .
As do I. He would clearly be my top target in the offseason. Followed by the FA Dan Lefevour.

I would not even consider bringing Glenn back as an option.
Roar you Lions roar!
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Hambone wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:With Tate, I don't think he's Wally's kind of QB and I wouldn't see the Lions trading for him.
WestCoastJoe wrote:So much depends on the HC signing.

And the QB.
And therein lies the complex question we won't know the answer to for a while. Who will be playing the bigger role in determining BC's 2015 QB path? I am a believer that given the importance of the QB position such a pivotal decision must be a consensus thing with input from GM, HC and OC. However I would submit that if the determining factor is who Wally's kind of QB is then has anything changed? This time around I think it has to be about who is the new HC's kind of QB and less about who is Wally's.
I agree 100%...I will be excited about our new QB when our new HC and OC decide on who THEY WANT to operate their system...until then I can't say very much...I like Partridge and think he should be brought along...he should have been our #2 this season IMO.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MexicoLionFan wrote:I agree 100%...I will be excited about our new QB when our new HC and OC decide on who THEY WANT to operate their system...until then I can't say very much...I like Partridge and think he should be brought along...he should have been our #2 this season IMO.
I don't think having Partridge at #2 this past season would've been wise. We are talking a kid who was playing NCAA Div II football last year, the same level as SFU. That they didn't try to force him into a role he may not have been ready for is likely for the betterment of his development.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:I agree 100%...I will be excited about our new QB when our new HC and OC decide on who THEY WANT to operate their system...until then I can't say very much...I like Partridge and think he should be brought along...he should have been our #2 this season IMO.
I don't think having Partridge at #2 this past season would've been wise. We are talking a kid who was playing NCAA Div II football last year, the same level as SFU. That they didn't try to force him into a role he may not have been ready for is likely for the betterment of his development.
I agree. But of all the QBs on the roster this season, he's the one I'd most like to see play next year.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

While watching a recent midweek MAC game involving Northern Illinois, they got to talking about former NIU QB Jordan Lynch who still wants to pursue playing QB. The NFL isn't interested. Desmond Howard said Lynch plans to try Canada. Guy's not the greatest passer, but he could develop. He has decent size for the CFL and is a great runner, holding numerous NCAA QB rushing records and his passing stats are more than decent: 49 TDs to 14 INTs in his 2 seasons as a starter and 6,000 yards. And he's open to coming here. Give him an invite, cuz someone's going to.

EDIT: Content.