Lions and League Free Agents?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I wonder whether this might be the right time for the Lions' defense to consider a 3-4 alignment if we can obtain a DC who can coach it up. We are rich in fast, mobile linebackers--what with Elimimian, Bighill, Lokombo, and Hoffman-Ellis--this seeming to be the current defensive strength of the team. This would lessen the need to beat the bushes for D-linemen, but we would need, I think, to be able to field a legitimate nose tackle who can occupy two blockers in the middle. Not sure Taylor is that guy, but he might have another year in him. With Smith and Bazzie playing DE, I think we'd have a formidable defense--just as long as the front seven can be trained to work a 3-4 to maximum advantage. As an example, look at the 49ers defense with four really great LBs. In an effective 3-4, you need to have at least one of your OLBs able to create a fast pass rush from the outside (Clay Matthews with the Packers, Aldon Smith/Ahmad Brooks with the Niners). I think we have that with Bighill at least. Just a thought.
Certainly an idea that has been pondered before. Finding the right kinds of guys to fill the roles is always the problem and you need a solid backup too. You may have an all-star nose tackle but if he gets hurt, how much dropoff does his replacement bring about.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I wonder whether this might be the right time for the Lions' defense to consider a 3-4 alignment if we can obtain a DC who can coach it up. We are rich in fast, mobile linebackers--what with Elimimian, Bighill, Lokombo, and Hoffman-Ellis--this seeming to be the current defensive strength of the team. This would lessen the need to beat the bushes for D-linemen, but we would need, I think, to be able to field a legitimate nose tackle who can occupy two blockers in the middle. Not sure Taylor is that guy, but he might have another year in him. With Smith and Bazzie playing DE, I think we'd have a formidable defense--just as long as the front seven can be trained to work a 3-4 to maximum advantage. As an example, look at the 49ers defense with four really great LBs. In an effective 3-4, you need to have at least one of your OLBs able to create a fast pass rush from the outside (Clay Matthews with the Packers, Aldon Smith/Ahmad Brooks with the Niners). I think we have that with Bighill at least. Just a thought.
You would need a dominating tackle to make the 3-4 work. Right now the Lions don't have one.
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:You would need a dominating tackle to make the 3-4 work. Right now the Lions don't have one.
Well, you certainly need a NT who can play (and I mentioned this), but he doesn't necessarily have to be that dominating. That's why I wondered whether Taylor could be that guy, but, if he can't, we might be able to trade for or draft one, or acquire one through free agency. Just as examples, the Packers lost their all-star 337-lb. NT, B.J. Raji at the beginning of the season and have had to go with his backup, Letroy Guion, and Dom Capers' Packers 3-4 is doing well. Similarly, the 49ers have 3rd-year NT Quinton Dial, who is not really dominating, but the Niners' 3-4 is functioning excellently. Although you do need a decent NT, it's really the quality of the linebackers--speed, instincts, hard-hitting ability--that makes a 3-4 formidable.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote: It means perhaps bringing in someone like Drew Tate (via trade...again my number 1 target if Calgary would move him) or LeFevour and rolling with the hot hand. .
LeFevour: :yes:

Tate: :puke:
The_Pauser
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
The_Pauser wrote: It means perhaps bringing in someone like Drew Tate (via trade...again my number 1 target if Calgary would move him) or LeFevour and rolling with the hot hand. .
LeFevour: :yes:

Tate: :puke:
Tate has been a star when he's been given the ball. His only problem is that he couldn't stay healthy (so in that regard he might not be the best candidate).

Lefevour is a lot less proven, but in limited action he did look promising.
Roar you Lions roar!
South Pender
Legend

I sense that the main objection to Tate is not his physical talents, but rather what's between his ears. At the very least he's been seen as a renegade with authority problems, and this attitude could spawn dissension in the locker room. Probably not as serious as the Percy Harvin situation in Seattle, but a concern nonetheless. With some serious challenges facing any new head coach in getting the Lions playing well, the last thing he needs is a loose cannon rolling around on the deck.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LU has compiled a team-by-team list of potential free agents. There are lots of big names on the list, including Calgary SB Nik Lewis and C Brett Jones, Saskatchewan S Tyron Brackenridge and DE Ricky Foley, Edmonton DE Odell Willis, Hamilton CB Delvin Breaux and Montreal SB S.J. Green. Most will probably be locked up by their teams before they become free agents on Feb. 10, 2015.

Drew Tate and Dan LeFevour are not on the list. The only QBs are Kevin Glenn, Kerry Joseph, Tino Sunseri, Brian Brohm, Josh Portis and Stephen McGee.

EDIT: LeFevour is on Hamilton's list.

An early look at ’15 CFL free agents
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting that, BCF.
B.C.: QB Kevin Glenn, WR Ernest Jackson, ST Jason Arakgi, LS Jordan Matechuk, S J.R. LaRose, DB Dante Marsh, DL Khalif Mitchell, P Ricky Schmitt, LB Jamall Johnson.

Calgary: C Brett Jones, OL Stanley Bryant, DB Brandon Smith, DE Shawn Lemon, OL Edwin Harrison, SB Nik Lewis, WR Brad Sinopoli, WR Simon Charbonneau-Campeau, FB Matt Walker, DB Keenan McDougall, DL Micah Johnson, ST Glenn Love.

Edmonton: LB Rennie Curran, OL Thaddeus Coleman, OL Tony Washington, OL Matt O’Donnell, OL Simeon Rottier, DB Ryan Hinds, S Chris Rwabukamba, DL Don Oramasionwu, DE Odell Willis, DB Marcell Young, ST Corbin Sharun.

Saskatchewan: DB/KR Tristan Jackson, S Tyrone Brackenridge, DB Rod Williams, DB Carlos Thomas, DB Woodny Turenne, DL Brandon Boudreaux, DL Trevor Guyton, DL Hilee Taylor, DE Ricky Foley, DL Terrarius George, LS Tim Cronk, FB Neal Hughes, LB Kevin Regimbald, LB Brian Peters, ST Sam Hurl, LB Diamond Ferri, DB Tristan Black, LS Chad Rempel, OL Ben Heenan, QB Kerry Joseph, QB Tino Sunseri, FB Jerome Messam, WR Scott McHenry, WR Korey Williams, SB Weston Dressler.

Winnipeg: QB Brian Brohm, LB Johnny Sears, LB Ian Wild, DB Matt Bucknor, DB Desia Dunn, DB/KR Demond Washington, OL Glenn January, LB Zach Anderson, WR Romby Bryant, LB Mike Cornell, OL Gord Hinse, WR Aaron Kelly, QB Josh Portis, OL Devin Tyler, RB Carl Volny.

Ottawa: OL Alex Krausnick, OL Joe Eppelle.

Hamilton: WR Luke Tasker, CB Delvin Breaux, KR/SB Brandon Banks, WR Sam Giguere, DL Justin Hickman, OL Tim O’Neill, QB Dan LeFevour, WR Bakari Grant, WR Greg Ellingson, OL Greg Wojt, OL Marc-Antoine Fortin, QB Stephen McGee, LB Marcellus Bowman, OL Marc Dile, DE Antonio Coleman.

Toronto: OL Tyler Holmes, WR Spencer Watt, RB/SB Anthony Woodson, OL SirVincent Rogers, OL Jarriel King, DB Jalil Carter, DB Alex Suber, WR John Chiles, WR Jason Barnes,DB Jamie Robinson

Montreal: WR S.J. Green, RB Tyrell Sutton, LB Bear Woods, LB Winston Venable, DB Jerald Brown, DB Geoff Tisdale, DL Aaron Lavaris, DL Scott Paxson, WR Duron Carter.
Ernest Jackson is on our list. Best if we get him re-upped.

No way Calgary lets Brett Jones slip away. Ditto Saskatchewan with Ben Heenan. Ditto Hamilton with Brandon Banks, methinks.

Dan LeFevour in on Ham's list.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote: Dan LeFevour in on Ham's list.
Right. I missed him. I've edited my original post. I would love to see LeFevour and Partridge backing up Lulay next year.
The_Pauser
Legend

Is Matt Walker the guy who came in for Calgary when Cornish went down? If he's available I would certainly look to bring him in. When Harris went down we suffered with the ratio a bit. Bringing in a solid backup would be wise.

I'd also throw a lot of money at Heenan and Jones, though I doubt they go unsigned. Lefevour is on my list and makes a ton of sense. Rickey Foley would be nice (especially if he brings Brackenridge with him). And I'd also look at Rottier and Eppele.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

So Taman states Heenan will go to free agency. That the riders have a number and if it doesn't match with what Heenan wants they will let him walk. Interesting...
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lots of good FA's out there but will any of them be willing to come to the West Coast ?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Its nice to have these options but ultimately, other than QB, talent is not really our problem...coaching and teaching are, or the lack thereof...we all need to wait until the new staff is picked and learn what they propose to be successful before knowing our needs...because I can assure you that with a great OLine coach, we are not needy at the OLine position, including Matt Norman!

For me, we need to get MUCH BIGGER and BETTER on our DLine, especially inside...the DLine has almost always been a BC Lion strength, it no longer is...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:Lots of good FA's out there but will any of them be willing to come to the West Coast ?
It can be somewhat like whistfully pondering what to do with a lottery win. Fact is at least half of those names will have disappeared from that list by the time February 15th rolls around.

Banks I think will again try for an NFL chance.

LeFevour could be the biggest FA fish. I think he'll definitely be in play and there will be interest from multiple clubs. As much as Austin would like to retain him the writing is on the wall there. Collaros is firmly entrenched as Hamilton's QB of both the present and future. Barring injury to ZC there is no starting opportunity in Steeltown in the foreseeable future. No doubt he will test the FA waters for a situation that offers a much quicker path to a starting gig. With Lulay's health very much in question BC would indeed be such a place. Saskatchewan also could make a play with their lack of QB depth and Durant coming off a serious arm injury. However Ottawa I think will offer the stiffest competition for his services. Desjardins boldly went after Burris and dumped Glenn. I don't believe they were ever looking at Burris as more than a 2 year bridge to buy themselves time to secure a QB for the longer haul. They may be willing to pull another bold move this year if they think LeFevour can step in and start. Anybody wanting him bad may have to trade for his rights and attempt to sign him before free agency hits.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.