Lions and League Free Agents?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ballhawk
Legend

ballhawk wrote:
Rammer wrote:
ballhawk wrote:Interesting, on the BC Lions roster (BC Lions website) the names #31 Marsh, #51 Matechuk, #2 Glenn, and #96 Mitchell do not appear. Yet, other free agents not signed, Arakgi, LaRose and E. Jackson do appear. Any explanations?
There are glitches with names being input and others taken off, but at least two of those names are going, so it makes you think about the other two....
I think this is a huge development. All other names from the Lions last game (see depth chart), including the injured and PR are on the roster list. There is something to this. Did LU not see this?
In my report last week I failed to mention that #6Ricky Schmitt was also not on the Lions current roster. This is obviously now taking on important and sinister ramifications which we will find out about tomorrow. In a nutshell, there had to be a reason.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

ballhawk wrote:In my report last week I failed to mention that #6Ricky Schmitt was also not on the Lions current roster. This is obviously now taking on important and sinister ramifications which we will find out about tomorrow. In a nutshell, there had to be a reason.
Kevin Glenn, Dante Marsh, Khalif Mitchell and Ricky Schmitt are not being invited back next year, according to LU. I'm not surprised by any of those moves. Glenn is the only player on that list whose status wasn't clear before now.

Ullrich: Lions set to rebuild without some key vets
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Talked to a Rider fan at the Grey Cup. Riders have 20 pending free agents.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
ballhawk wrote:In my report last week I failed to mention that #6Ricky Schmitt was also not on the Lions current roster. This is obviously now taking on important and sinister ramifications which we will find out about tomorrow. In a nutshell, there had to be a reason.
Kevin Glenn, Dante Marsh, Khalif Mitchell and Ricky Schmitt are not being invited back next year, according to LU. I'm not surprised by any of those moves. Glenn is the only player on that list whose status wasn't clear before now.

Ullrich: Lions set to rebuild without some key vets
I'm a little surprised by Marsh but only because he's a vet who I did NOT think looked bad out there. The other three of those, struggled this season, but, IMO, Marsh didn't.

Will be interesting to hear the fallout from tomorrows presser......
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Add one more veteran to the list:
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
#BCLions linebacker Jamall Johnson has also been told he won't be back.
Again, no surprise.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:Add one more veteran to the list:
Again, no surprise.
Not at all. Even when he signed last year I thought it would wind up being a one and done situation. He did what was asked of him rotating with Josh Johnson depending on down and yardage situation and playing special teams. Don't know how they figure to fit Hoffman-Ellis and Lokombo in but clearly room has to be made for them to have more significant roles and playing time.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Not surprised at Schmitt. His KO production fell off nearly 5 yards/kick in the last third of the season. First 12 games 65.35/KO average. Last 6 games 60.81/KO average. His punting, especially directional punting, just wasn't consistent enough either.
South Pender
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Again, no surprise.
Not at all. Even when he signed last year I thought it would wind up being a one and done situation. He did what was asked of him rotating with Josh Johnson depending on down and yardage situation and playing special teams. Don't know how they figure to fit Hoffman-Ellis and Lokombo in but clearly room has to be made for them to have more significant roles and playing time.
Agreed. I think Lokombo will develop into a fine run-and-chase OLB for the Lions and will help with the ratio. He has very good speed, and could even be utilized as a nickel LB or even at safety on some downs. The Lions could be great at LB with Lokombo and Bighill on the outside and Elimimian in the middle. Hoffman-Ellis also looks very good on paper--excellent speed and strength.
The_Pauser
Legend

South Pender wrote: Agreed. I think Lokombo will develop into a fine run-and-chase OLB for the Lions and will help with the ratio. He has very good speed, and could even be utilized as a nickel LB or even at safety on some downs. The Lions could be great at LB with Lokombo and Bighill on the outside and Elimimian in the middle. Hoffman-Ellis also looks very good on paper--excellent speed and strength.
I agree with this. Hoffman-Ellis looked solid in his very minimal playing time. I don't think we really need to waste any cap space on signing a league FA, though it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring someone in for training camp from one of the Free Agent camps down South (just for competition). Lokombo should get a bigger role this year. He was the top rated prospect in his draft year for a reason.
Roar you Lions roar!
Dusty
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:
South Pender wrote: Agreed. I think Lokombo will develop into a fine run-and-chase OLB for the Lions and will help with the ratio. He has very good speed, and could even be utilized as a nickel LB or even at safety on some downs. The Lions could be great at LB with Lokombo and Bighill on the outside and Elimimian in the middle. Hoffman-Ellis also looks very good on paper--excellent speed and strength.
I agree with this. Hoffman-Ellis looked solid in his very minimal playing time. I don't think we really need to waste any cap space on signing a league FA, though it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring someone in for training camp from one of the Free Agent camps down South (just for competition). Lokombo should get a bigger role this year. He was the top rated prospect in his draft year for a reason.
Yes, IIRC, Hoffman-Ellis only played in one game and he was very active. He looked gassed by the 4th quarter, but that could be a function of the poor offence. All our LB's looked unprepared for blitzing, but Hoffman-Ellis seemed to bring real speed, so should fit in with the LB squad. Lokombo is a bit unknown (at least to me), but could be a diamond. Could he be the ratio key to allow a NI Safety?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Hoffman-Ellis also looks very good on paper--excellent speed and strength.
Not just on paper. In the two days I watched in training camp he was all over the field making plays. I recall him making 1 pick for sure and may have racked up a pick both days. His season finale audition only seemed to confirm what he showed in camp.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
South Pender wrote:Hoffman-Ellis also looks very good on paper--excellent speed and strength.
Not just on paper. In the two days I watched in training camp he was all over the field making plays. I recall him making 1 pick for sure and may have racked up a pick both days. His season finale audition only seemed to confirm what he showed in camp.
Hoffman-Ellis was noticeable in camp, and not just for his hair. I saw him make pick-six on a ball bobbled in the air by Gore. It was an opportunistic play but my comments in the training camp thread were framed by how poor the B.C. receiving corps looked in camp. That was a problem that plagued the Lions all year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Again, no surprise.
I'm surprised he lasted the season. His best days are behind him. Didn't see any of the crushing hits we've become accustomed to.
The_Pauser
Legend

I am also happy to see that Glenn won't be back. Nice guy and all, but he isn't the right man to lead this offense. While I also think Khari Jones needs to go too, we need someone younger behind C. I don't think we can put our eggs in the Lulay basket either, but going into next season projecting Lulay as the starter and Glenn as the backup is a recipe for disaster and shows that we have not learned from the mistakes of this season (funny how some people harp on the coaching for being stuck in their ways, yet want to bring back the same failed personnel).

A fresh new QB behind centre is what is needed. And no, that doesn't mean writing off Lulay. It means perhaps bringing in someone like Drew Tate (via trade...again my number 1 target if Calgary would move him) or LeFevour and rolling with the hot hand. If Lulay stays healthy and leads this offense next year, great. Then we deal with having two starters. Better than having none.
Roar you Lions roar!
South Pender
Legend

I wonder whether this might be the right time for the Lions' defense to consider a 3-4 alignment if we can obtain a DC who can coach it up. We are rich in fast, mobile linebackers--what with Elimimian, Bighill, Lokombo, and Hoffman-Ellis--this seeming to be the current defensive strength of the team. This would lessen the need to beat the bushes for D-linemen, but we would need, I think, to be able to field a legitimate nose tackle who can occupy two blockers in the middle. Not sure Taylor is that guy, but he might have another year in him. With Smith and Bazzie playing DE, I think we'd have a formidable defense--just as long as the front seven can be trained to work a 3-4 to maximum advantage. As an example, look at the 49ers defense with four really great LBs. In an effective 3-4, you need to have at least one of your OLBs able to create a fast pass rush from the outside (Clay Matthews with the Packers, Aldon Smith/Ahmad Brooks with the Niners). I think we have that with Bighill at least. Just a thought.