Lions and League Free Agents?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Dano I watched Beck carefully and I don't think he can be an effective CFL starter...he does not see very well down field and his footwork in the pocket is sloppy...this means sacks and INTs...Partridge actually impressed me...his mechanics need to get better, but he has a strength of will that is missing from Beck's game...if Partridge could be surrounded and helped, he might become a good CFL QB...but if we try throwing him to the wolves like Kevin Glenn he will just turn back to his bad habits and it will be a disaster...ANY QB asked to play in our 2014 Offence will fail! We need massive change!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
The_Pauser
Legend

So people shoot down Drew Tate, but promote Dan Lefevour, Matt Nichols, and John Beck? I don't get it. I would personally prefer the proven QB who's shown he can play at an elite level, than three question marks. But perhaps those promoting the other three are looking to do a complete rebuild?
Roar you Lions roar!
Spud387
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:So people shoot down Drew Tate, but promote Dan Lefevour, Matt Nichols, and John Beck? I don't get it. I would personally prefer the proven QB who's shown he can play at an elite level, than three question marks. But perhaps those promoting the other three are looking to do a complete rebuild?
Why are you so high on Drew Tate?
Also, I believe people were shooting down Drew Tate's attitude. We don't want another QB with a "Chicken salad out of chicken *poop*" attitude or who will get upset with teammates.

Nichols & LeFevour have both shown promise and are only 27 without any attitude issues attached.
David
Team Captain

The Pauser, just watched this brief exchange with a reporter from a couple of months ago and decide for yourself if Drew Tate would be a good fit here (contractual obligations aside). Keep in mind, he's saying this within a structured, well-organized, and professional organization like the Stampeders - about one of the brightest offensive minds in the CFL no less.

I can only imagine how an opinionated, slightly flaky, and self-absorbed quarterback would do here in B.C. (besides fit right in with the general population out here, lol).....

[video][/video]

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
The_Pauser
Legend

I'm high on Tate because he's proven he can be a dynamic QB in this league. He has a career QB rating of 101.3, which is the best amongst active QB's with more than 100 pass attempts (eliminating rookie QB's like John Beck with a very low sample size). His major flaws include a questionable attitude, and being prone to injury. He's good at protecting the ball, he's got a solid arm, and he's mobile.
Roar you Lions roar!
Spud387
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:...His major flaws include a questionable attitude, and being prone to injury. He's good at protecting the ball, he's got a solid arm, and he's mobile.
Don't you think "being prone to injury" is something the Lions want nothing of? Considering the history with Dickenson, Buck & Lulay?
The_Pauser
Legend

Spud387 wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:...His major flaws include a questionable attitude, and being prone to injury. He's good at protecting the ball, he's got a solid arm, and he's mobile.
Don't you think "being prone to injury" is something the Lions want nothing of? Considering the history with Dickenson, Buck & Lulay?
Not sure there's much of a choice (though now that I'm aware of his contract extension signed before this season it makes his availability less likely). If the choice is between a player who's proven he can be a top QB in this league, though has in the passed struggled to stay healthy, or a guy who hasn't proven anything and still has a lot of question marks, give me the guy who's shown that he can be a great QB. Given the personnel on this team, now isn't really a time to go through a full blown rebuild mode. Anyone who thinks we can go into next season with John Beck, Dan Lefevour, or Matt Nichols as our starting QB is seriously kidding themselves.
Roar you Lions roar!
Childress
Rookie

When talking to several of Tate's teammates, off the record, I have yet to find any who have an issue with Tate's attitude. I know some are going to suggest that they would never tell me if they did, but they tell me all sorts of things and that wouldn't be anymore over the top.

Drew Tate does not like the media. I'm convinced on the video posted that he was simply toying with the reporter. "The problem is all Dickie." He shocks the reporters, they back off, and the team shrugs it off and Tate has a good laugh about it with Dave later.

I can understand a hesitation due to his injury history - which is the big question around Tate. Also, he is not a free agent. It would take a lot from the Lions to convince Calgary to trade him to a rival. Huf also understands the value of a backup QB who can play and win. Tate may be staying put for another year if no team offers an attractive trade for him.

Who else needs QB help?
BC needs a starter.
Edmonton needs a backup.
Saskatchewan needs a backup.
Winnipeg could use a backup, but their young guy may be okay. They probably focus on their many other holes.
If Lefevour leaves, Hamilton needs a backup.
Ottawa must be talking about replacing Burris. I don't really know what direction they will go. They also could look at promoting Demarco to starter and having Burris back him up, or the two platooning.
Montreal is probably pretty happy with Crompton backed up by Marsh.
Toronto is probably content with Ray/Harris and Calgary is probably happy with Mitchell/Tate.

So, the only free agent QB is Lefevour. QBs that could be had by trade include Tate, Nichols, Sunseri, Burris, Glenn, Marsh.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Yeah, I watched that clip and he tried to play it tongue and cheek, but that was frustration and anger coming from a QB that missed a TON of open receivers...I wouldn't want that guy...

The Lions are going to have to bring someone in...there is no quick fix to this problem...it used to be that your QB , if he panned out, would play for the next 6-10 years...but not in BC...they only last 6-10 games...Wally stuck with Dorazio through all of our great QBs and now we have NONE LEFT! We have better keep Glenn for insurance and teaching purposes, whoever we go with he is going to need time and help! Again, I like what I see from Partridge...QBs have to possess that something...I think Partridge might have it...

Albert Einstein
The_Pauser
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:Yeah, I watched that clip and he tried to play it tongue and cheek, but that was frustration and anger coming from a QB that missed a TON of open receivers...I wouldn't want that guy...

The Lions are going to have to bring someone in...there is no quick fix to this problem...it used to be that your QB , if he panned out, would play for the next 6-10 years...but not in BC...they only last 6-10 games...Wally stuck with Dorazio through all of our great QBs and now we have NONE LEFT! We have better keep Glenn for insurance and teaching purposes, whoever we go with he is going to need time and help! Again, I like what I see from Partridge...QBs have to possess that something...I think Partridge might have it...
I don't get why you don't want a guy who missed a bunch of receivers in one game, while playing outstanding in most of his others, but continue to advocate keeping a guy who made so many rookie mistakes as a veteran? What is it about Glenn that you like so much? Because from what I watched this season he is completely washed up and not a fit for this team at all.
Roar you Lions roar!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Odie wrote:My immediate thought would be current Ti-Cat Dan LeFevor providing he is healthy again. He is a young, mobile QB who would seem to fit into the Lions Offence. He showed flashes of brilliance and has some CFL experience - ......
:whs: IMO, he's the guy currently clipboarding who is most deserving of a true shot at starting. Loved how mobile he is and that is something that I respect out of Lulay too. IMO, a mobile QB is a big part of a solid offence here.....
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

If I was OC I'd want 3 QB's that are similar in attributes so the offence game plan doesn't have to change much. Given the last year or two in the CFL, not many QB's last an entire season. On that basis, I'd rule Glenn out as 1st, 2nd or 3rd string. This game requires mobility and the ability to read progressions quickly, while being mobile. Glenn hasn't got that at all. In addition, in order for him to have any chance of success he requires an O line that is a Berlin Wall....whats the chance of that next year?
I remember reading a comment about Flutie and why NFL coaches wouldn't give him a real shot at being #1, and it was because of this - they would need to design their entire offensive scheme around him and have 2-3 guys behind him that could run the same offence. That wasn't going to happen. Same up here with Glenn...we need mobility. He ain't mobile (plus one sack and he's toast).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
So if we look outside the organization, who do you bring in?
I wonder what Casey Printers is doing these days. :rotf:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:Yeah, I watched that clip and he tried to play it tongue and cheek, but that was frustration and anger coming from a QB that missed a TON of open receivers...I wouldn't want that guy...

I don't get why you don't want a guy who missed a bunch of receivers in one game, while playing outstanding in most of his others, but continue to advocate keeping a guy who made so many rookie mistakes as a veteran? What is it about Glenn that you like so much? Because from what I watched this season he is completely washed up and not a fit for this team at all.

Wow...you are not thinking clearly about this...the Kevin Glenn we saw did things that he normally does NOT...his whole career has told us that...so either the wheels suddenly fell off of Glenn's bike or Glenn was thrown to the wolves and developed bad habits trying to survive! I am NOT a Kevin Glenn fan and have never been, but he represents the ONLY experience and decent QB on this team...he was SECOND in the CFL this season in passing yards behind Ricky Ray...his 17 INTS were an anomaly...he doesn't do this...he has also always been an accurate QB, not this season? Glenn or the Lion's mess? Its a small puzzle and all we need to do is put the pieces together...there are clues everywhere as to the real culprits.

Bringing Glenn back next season is CRUCIAL for the Lions if he will take back up money...LULAY IS NOT EVER AGAIN going to be a regular starter...not with that shoulder...never...its time to move on...so our QB roster whether you want to believe it or not is now John Beck and Travis Partridge...that's it...the trade of the century is now a FA and Lulay won't play again...

Trouble in Lionsland...big trouble...and Mike Benevides has any answers to fix it? He couldn't figure out a way to preserve a 7-5 lead in OTT until the weather Gods arrived to save the day...

Albert Einstein
The_Pauser
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote: Wow...you are not thinking clearly about this...the Kevin Glenn we saw did things that he normally does NOT...his whole career has told us that...so either the wheels suddenly fell off of Glenn's bike or Glenn was thrown to the wolves and developed bad habits trying to survive! I am NOT a Kevin Glenn fan and have never been, but he represents the ONLY experience and decent QB on this team...he was SECOND in the CFL this season in passing yards behind Ricky Ray...his 17 INTS were an anomaly...he doesn't do this...he has also always been an accurate QB, not this season? Glenn or the Lion's mess? Its a small puzzle and all we need to do is put the pieces together...there are clues everywhere as to the real culprits.

Bringing Glenn back next season is CRUCIAL for the Lions if he will take back up money...LULAY IS NOT EVER AGAIN going to be a regular starter...not with that shoulder...never...its time to move on...so our QB roster whether you want to believe it or not is now John Beck and Travis Partridge...that's it...the trade of the century is now a FA and Lulay won't play again...

Trouble in Lionsland...big trouble...and Mike Benevides has any answers to fix it? He couldn't figure out a way to preserve a 7-5 lead in OTT until the weather Gods arrived to save the day...
Hmm yes I am thinking clearly about this. Perhaps you aren't thinking clearly about this, with your clear agenda against the coaching staff (most of which is valid). The Glenn we saw this year was quite similar, if not identical, to the Glenn that Hamilton saw in 2011. Just because he had a strong 2013 in Calgary doesn't mean that's the type of QB he is. In fact, his history suggests that's not the case, and as he ages he's going to get worse and worse. You can't blame the coaching staff for Glenn making stupid decisions by forcing the ball when he should be throwing it away. He tried forcing the play far too often this year and that led to picks (a lot early on this season, and we saw it even in the playoffs). He's not mobile at all, makes far too many poor decisions, and his arm strength isn't what it used to be. If he's also flustered too easily that he can't deal with pressure and over throws/under throws his targets then we need a QB who is more mobile and more mentally strong. You want Glenn to still be here because he's a veteran, yet I don't want him to remain here because while he's a veteran he makes too many rookie level mistakes.

I definitely agree that we cannot go into next season penning Lulay as our number 1. Nor can we go into next season with John Beck or Travis Partridge as our backup to Lulay. That's a recipe for disaster. But similarly we cannot go into next season having Kevin Glenn in a position where he's likely to play several games.
Roar you Lions roar!