Lions and League Free Agents?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote: Wow...you are not thinking clearly about this...the Kevin Glenn we saw did things that he normally does NOT...his whole career has told us that...so either the wheels suddenly fell off of Glenn's bike or Glenn was thrown to the wolves and developed bad habits trying to survive! I am NOT a Kevin Glenn fan and have never been, but he represents the ONLY experience and decent QB on this team...he was SECOND in the CFL this season in passing yards behind Ricky Ray...his 17 INTS were an anomaly...he doesn't do this...he has also always been an accurate QB, not this season? Glenn or the Lion's mess? Its a small puzzle and all we need to do is put the pieces together...there are clues everywhere as to the real culprits.

Bringing Glenn back next season is CRUCIAL for the Lions if he will take back up money...LULAY IS NOT EVER AGAIN going to be a regular starter...not with that shoulder...never...its time to move on...so our QB roster whether you want to believe it or not is now John Beck and Travis Partridge...that's it...the trade of the century is now a FA and Lulay won't play again...

Trouble in Lionsland...big trouble...and Mike Benevides has any answers to fix it? He couldn't figure out a way to preserve a 7-5 lead in OTT until the weather Gods arrived to save the day...
Hmm yes I am thinking clearly about this. Perhaps you aren't thinking clearly about this, with your clear agenda against the coaching staff (most of which is valid). The Glenn we saw this year was quite similar, if not identical, to the Glenn that Hamilton saw in 2011. Just because he had a strong 2013 in Calgary doesn't mean that's the type of QB he is. In fact, his history suggests that's not the case, and as he ages he's going to get worse and worse. You can't blame the coaching staff for Glenn making stupid decisions by forcing the ball when he should be throwing it away. He tried forcing the play far too often this year and that led to picks (a lot early on this season, and we saw it even in the playoffs). He's not mobile at all, makes far too many poor decisions, and his arm strength isn't what it used to be. If he's also flustered too easily that he can't deal with pressure and over throws/under throws his targets then we need a QB who is more mobile and more mentally strong. You want Glenn to still be here because he's a veteran, yet I don't want him to remain here because while he's a veteran he makes too many rookie level mistakes.

I definitely agree that we cannot go into next season penning Lulay as our number 1. Nor can we go into next season with John Beck or Travis Partridge as our backup to Lulay. That's a recipe for disaster. But similarly we cannot go into next season having Kevin Glenn in a position where he's likely to play several games.
Pauser, I have tremendous respect for you...I know that you understand the game, but sometimes we can use a guy as a scapegoat...Glenn is becoming that guy after doing a lot of good things this season in a system that was designed to fail. I don't want Glenn to be our starter next season, but he might have to be until the new guy is ready...we can effectively use Glenn for another year to help us transition to a new, young QB...at least with Glenn we can go .500, without him, we might be looking up at OTT...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
ballhawk
Legend

The Riders have 27 free agents.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
The_Pauser
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote: Pauser, I have tremendous respect for you...I know that you understand the game, but sometimes we can use a guy as a scapegoat...Glenn is becoming that guy after doing a lot of good things this season in a system that was designed to fail. I don't want Glenn to be our starter next season, but he might have to be until the new guy is ready...we can effectively use Glenn for another year to help us transition to a new, young QB...at least with Glenn we can go .500, without him, we might be looking up at OTT...
I suppose we have differing views of what we want/expect out of next season. From this post it sounds like you're willing to use next season as more of a transition year where we tread water until we get one of the younger guys ready, and likely don't really go anywhere in the playoffs. Personally I would rather swing for the fences and try to bring in someone who can change this team overnight. Is my view possible? Tough to say, especially with Tate being under contract it does seem unlikely that Calgary would want to load us up.

I don't think Glenn is being used as a scape goat. I think everyone agrees that the offensive system in place was actually worse than what we had with Chap. That being said, I expected more composure out of a veteran like Glenn. Being flustered in the pocket is something you'd expect from a rookie or a young QB, not a seasoned vet like Glenn. Honestly, I'm starting to warm to the idea of bringing in Dan Lefevour. He's in a similar position as Reilly was in before Reilly became a starter (being a young QB who's shown some promise in limited time), and his running ability brings another element to our offense. Roll with Lefevour, Partridge, Lulay, and Rodgers next year (or perhaps another signing from the US college ranks) and see what we can do.

I also want to see our O-line addressed. I think Olafioye is probably the only one who started the final game of the year who should be safe. Hadrick has looked good, but I'm also curious to see how Fabien performs in camp, now another year removed from surgery. Ramsay looked OK, but I want to see more of Hunter Steward who looked great before getting injured. Norman had a disaster of a season, and I believe should be replaced (with another Canadian) if an upgrade is readily available. Otherwise open that spot up to competition with Cam Thorn. Finally, we need to find a replacement for Dean Valli.

The only other upgrade I would like to see on offense is Iannuzzi's spot. I don't think Poblah has looked like he can really take control of it, and Iannuzzi has been a bit of a let down. Perhaps Adekolu or Tomusiak will emerge, but another young Canadian WR would really spice up the competition.

On defense, I'm bummed out that Marsh won't be back, but it does make sense. We can roll with Yell, Lee, RP, and Parks, and save some cash on the salary difference between Marsh and Lee. I would look to bring back LaRose, unless we can go with an import at safety in which case I would see if we can bring in Tyron Brackenridge. Doubtful though, and since McGarva is coming off a serious leg injury you absolutely have to bring back LaRose (unless of course another upgrade is available, perhaps through the draft?) Keynan Parker looks like he will remain a backup for a while.

Our LB's look solid as ever, though I personally don't see a spot for Jamal Johnson on this roster. I would like to see Bo Lokombo more involved in the rotation next season, though he obviously isn't going to displace Biggie or Solly.

On the DL, I think it's clear that Mitchell is gone. Westerman is an absolute must re-sign, and I would like to see us draft another Canadian D-Lineman. Menard has looked good, but I don't know that he'll ever become a starter, but it would sure be nice to have some more depth in case Westerman walks or goes down to injury. Does Khreem Smith have another year in him? He is in his mid-30's now, and I don't see much behind him on the roster. Bazzie looked good for a rookie, though I still have some questions about his size and consistency. ET is also getting long in the tooth.

Finally, we need a new kicker. Import, Non-Import, I don't really care at this point. Just get me a kicker who can hit a 50+ yard field goal, punt for 45 yards+, and nail those long kickoffs. I know I'm asking for a lot, but the Swayze Waters/Liam Hajrullahu's of this world do exist.

All in all, my priorities this offseason would be:

1) Address the QB position
2) Address the offensive line with more Canadian depth/a new starter
3) Address the defensive line with some youth
4) Bring in a new kicker

And that isn't even touching on the coaching staff as of yet. I love Benevides as a person, but it's clear a new voice is needed. I don't know that Richie Hall or Paul LaPolice is that guy though. Furthermore, I would strongly target Jeff Garcia as an OC. He's definitely helped improve the Montreal offense and likely isn't going to move up anytime soon with Dinwiddie as their OC, and he also has the WB connection. Dan Dorazio should be demoted to a "consulting" role, and Kelly Bates should become our full-time O-Line coach. I'm not sure Dorazio is a guy who can just be fired after all the years of service he's given to Buono, but a demotion to a consulting role can allow him to save face while allowing the team to move on from him. I don't know what Joe PaoPao adds to this team, and would consider replacing him with someone like Geroy Simon. Geroy was always a leader here and is much respected in the locker room. After letting go of so many veterans, we could use someone like Geroy in a coaching leadership role. Finally, Mark Washington would be on the bubble. While his defense looked great for most of the season, it's clear our lack of aggressiveness was greatly exposed at the end. His only saving grace though was in his post-season interview where it sounded like he was willing to re-visit his scheme and make some changes. If he's willing to coach a more aggressive defense then he should be given another shot.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Great post Pauser. The only thing that I would add is that I would like the Lions look at Bo Lokombo at Free Safety instead of LB.

I like the idea trying to get Lefever at QB as he would also be an easier sell to the fans than Glenn.
The_Pauser
Legend

DanoT wrote:Great post Pauser. The only thing that I would add is that I would like the Lions look at Bo Lokombo at Free Safety instead of LB.

I like the idea trying to get Lefever at QB as he would also be an easier sell to the fans than Glenn.
Thanks.

I was initially sour on Lefevour because I had my sights set on Tate, but after thinking about it this wouldn't be that bad of a move.

Lokombo at FS would be interesting. I don't know if he's too big for the position though, but he does have decent speed. It's worth looking into though.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

ballhawk wrote:The Riders have 27 free agents.
That's a lot. If Brackenridge is among the 27, the Lions should make a concerted effort to sign him.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
That's a lot. If Brackenridge is among the 27, the Lions should make a concerted effort to sign him.

Brackenridge is an INT. isn't he? If that is the route that the Lions go, playing an INT at FS, then Torri Williams might be better than biding for a free agent.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

Brackenridge is an INT. isn't he? If that is the route that the Lions go, playing an INT at FS, then Torri Williams might be better than biding for a free agent.
Williams was tried at safety at the start of the year and got a lot of reps in place of LaRose in passing situations. He struggled at the position and had a hard time reading the play. LaRose reclaimed most reps in the second half of the season. Williams was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. It's a hard position for a rookie to learn.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Brackenridge is an INT. isn't he? ......
Thanks DanoT, you've solved a question thats been bugging me for a few seasons now. Why does JR Larose drop so many sure PICKS?

Now its clear....because he's a NON-INT.... :wink:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MexicoLionFan wrote:Wow...you are not thinking clearly about this...the Kevin Glenn we saw did things that he normally does NOT...his whole career has told us that...so either the wheels suddenly fell off of Glenn's bike or Glenn was thrown to the wolves and developed bad habits trying to survive! I am NOT a Kevin Glenn fan and have never been, but he represents the ONLY experience and decent QB on this team...he was SECOND in the CFL this season in passing yards behind Ricky Ray...his 17 INTS were an anomaly...he doesn't do this...he has also always been an accurate QB, not this season? Glenn or the Lion's mess? Its a small puzzle and all we need to do is put the pieces together...there are clues everywhere as to the real culprits.
I wouldn't be putting too much stock into Glenn finishing 2nd in passing yardage. A big factor in that was injuries to other QBs and Crompton not getting the starting job in Montreal until game 8. Only Burris started more games. The likes of Reilly, Willy, Collaros, Durant and Mitchell all missed anywhere from 3 to 8 games. Glenn likely would've finished more like 6th or 7th if not for the misfortunes of others.

Glenn's INT figures are also a lot less of an anomaly than you think MLF. His INT/Pass Attempt ratio of 3.55% in 2014 wasn't much above his career average 0f 3.15% coming into this season. Based on his 479 attempts 15 interceptions would've been right on his career average. This marks the 6th season in the last 10 and 5th in the past 7 where he threw 16 or more picks. Looking at his career it appears seasons like 2005 and 2013 when he threw only 7 INTs are the anomaly. 2014 was more the norm for KG. 17 seems to be an oddly familiar number for Kevin Glenn as he's hit that mark on 4 separate occasions in his career; 2005, 2010, 2011 and 2014.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Kevin Glenn can be a very valuable, effective QB in the right system, with the right coaching staff.

I will take the view of John Hufnagel. Calgary knew how well he could play, in their system.

How would Kevin Glenn have played here, with a better offensive package? With better pass protection? With better coaching?

Just IMO, but it seems to me he would have been quite satisfactory.

As well, I shudder to think how we would have fared if he had not been so durable this year.

Kevin Glenn has near HOF numbers. If he had won at least one Grey Cup, IMO, he would be a lock for the HOF.

Is he the ideal quarterback? No.

I suspect that even Ricky Ray would have looked vulnerable playing in our system. And I recall that there were fans in Edmonton that wanted Ricky Ray gone.

In defence of Kevin Glenn who has given yeoman service to our team. I hope he is back, as a backup once again. Without him the cupboard is truly bare.

Just IMO.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Kevin Glenn can be a very valuable, effective QB in the right system, with the right coaching staff.

I will take the view of John Hufnagel. Calgary knew how well he could play, in their system.

How would Kevin Glenn have played here, with a better offensive package? With better pass protection? With better coaching?

Just IMO, but it seems to me he would have been quite satisfactory.

As well, I shudder to think how we would have fared if he had not been so durable this year.

Kevin Glenn has near HOF numbers. If he had won at least one Grey Cup, IMO, he would be a lock for the HOF.

Is he the ideal quarterback? No.

I suspect that even Ricky Ray would have looked vulnerable playing in our system. And I recall that there were fans in Edmonton that wanted Ricky Ray gone.

In defence of Kevin Glenn who has given yeoman service to our team. I hope he is back, as a backup once again. Without him the cupboard is truly bare.

Just IMO.
I hope Lulay ends up as OC, and Glenn and Beck are back to vie for the starters job behind a Kelly Bates coached O line with Fabien at RG (backed up by Valli), Hunter Steward at LT and Thorn pushing Norman to start at C and Partridge and Rodgers competing for 3rd string QB.
The_Pauser
Legend

I thought I read somewhere that the Lions picked up McCallum's option. Is this for real?
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:I thought I read somewhere that the Lions picked up McCallum's option. Is this for real?
Yes, according to Mike Beamish.
The_Pauser
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:I thought I read somewhere that the Lions picked up McCallum's option. Is this for real?
Yes, according to Mike Beamish.
Yikes! I don't get it. I really think keeping Paul hurts the team more than anything. He can't punt, he can't do kick offs, we need to shelter him on FG's. What's the point of keeping him around?
Roar you Lions roar!