Lions and League Free Agents?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:Lions re-sign Jabar Westerman, Kito Poblah, and Mike Benson.

The Westerman re-signing is huge IMO. Personally I had thought we would lose him to an Ontario team as I felt he wanted to go back and play in his own backyard. So happy to have him back! He really came into his own in the second half of the season and rebounded nicely after a bit of a slow start and some legal issues. Hopefully he continues his development and becomes a reliable every down starter going forward.
All good signings, two starters and a long-snapper. I'm sure Westerman's play in the latter part of the season helped solidify his value.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Always been a fan of Jabar Westerman. Was very, very happy when we traded up to get him in the draft.

Excellent signing.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The Kito Poblah signing is a bit of a surprise. Not impressed with his play this year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:The Kito Poblah signing is a bit of a surprise. Not impressed with his play this year.
Poblah needs someone to throw him the ball. Beck was better than Glenn at targeting his wideouts, which is one of the many reasons that I don't want to see Glenn back next year.

LU offers his take on the signings:
Westerman deal a boost for Lions’ Canadian content
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not so much of not getting the football thrown his way, but his dropping of passes that were thrown his way.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:The Kito Poblah signing is a bit of a surprise. Not impressed with his play this year.
Poblah needs someone to throw him the ball. Beck was better than Glenn at targeting his wideouts, which is one of the many reasons that I don't want to see Glenn back next year.

I think I'd be disappointed if one of Haidara or Adekolu doesn't pass Poblah on the depth chart before next season begins.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:

I think I'd be disappointed if one of Haidara or Adekolu doesn't pass Poblah on the depth chart before next season begins.
Poblah catches like a Canadian college receiver, always facing the QB. He doesn't have the skillset that would have made his re-signing a priority to me, especially with the likes of Haidara and Adekolu in behind him. That said, I am sure that a legitimate HC will have enough of a look to select the best fit for the Lions. With Glenn in as QB WO's aren't going to see many balls in a season as BCFAN suggested. I still think that you hold onto Glenn until someone moves above him, we as fans may not like it, but the alternative as I am looking now, is even more bleak.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:With Glenn in as QB WO's aren't going to see many balls in a season as BCFAN suggested.
Not so much wideouts as withouts.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Rammer wrote:With Glenn in as QB WO's aren't going to see many balls in a season as BCFAN suggested.
Not so much wideouts as withouts.
True on that account, the good thing when you have the withouts position, it is hard to knock you out of the spot, with no evidence of you doing anything wrong.
South Pender
Legend

Rammer wrote:Poblah catches like a Canadian college receiver, always facing the QB.
Odd, since he played college ball at Central Michigan, although CM is not exactly a Tier 1 football school.
South Pender
Legend

Rammer wrote:I still think that you hold onto Glenn until someone moves above him, we as fans may not like it, but the alternative as I am looking now, is even more bleak.
Absolutely. Gambling on making silk purses out of sows' ears Beck, Partridge, and Rodgers alone would be folly IMO. I think the jury's is still out on Partridge (although I for one am not too hopeful), but I really doubt that Beck is the answer and I believe that Rodgers lacks the arm strength needed on the wider Canadian field for deep out patterns. If the Lions could get Dan LeFevour out of Hamilton, this would be promising. LeFevour has good size, very decent speed (4.66), a strong arm, quick release, good decision-making ability, and played, interestingly enough, at the same school Kito Poblah did--Central Michigan. I think he could be the "next one."
ballhawk
Legend

Interesting, on the BC Lions roster (BC Lions website) the names #31 Marsh, #51 Matechuk, #2 Glenn, and #96 Mitchell do not appear. Yet, other free agents not signed, Arakgi, LaRose and E. Jackson do appear. Any explanations?
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
Rammer
Team Captain

ballhawk wrote:Interesting, on the BC Lions roster (BC Lions website) the names #31 Marsh, #51 Matechuk, #2 Glenn, and #96 Mitchell do not appear. Yet, other free agents not signed, Arakgi, LaRose and E. Jackson do appear. Any explanations?
There are glitches with names being input and others taken off, but at least two of those names are going, so it makes you think about the other two....
ballhawk
Legend

Rammer wrote:
ballhawk wrote:Interesting, on the BC Lions roster (BC Lions website) the names #31 Marsh, #51 Matechuk, #2 Glenn, and #96 Mitchell do not appear. Yet, other free agents not signed, Arakgi, LaRose and E. Jackson do appear. Any explanations?
There are glitches with names being input and others taken off, but at least two of those names are going, so it makes you think about the other two....
I think this is a huge development. All other names from the Lions last game (see depth chart), including the injured and PR are on the roster list. There is something to this. Did LU not see this?
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Good eyes...glad you spotted it. Feel sorry for Matechuk. Long snapper is one of those positions you just don't seem to notice unless he's injured or not playing well. Apparently he had one of his fingers amputated......