Chris Jones does not shake hands after games ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I had heard this. I had never seen actual evidence (of a non-event). LOL

So I looked it up. I had mentioned on here that Bud Grant did not shake hands post-game. Nothing against the other coach. Grant would wave, and then trot to the locker room.

Found this article ...
Eskimos head coach wants to shake post-game tradition

By Chris O?Leary, Edmonton Journal August 2, 2014

Eskimos head coach wants to shake post-game tradition

Edmonton Eskimos’ head coach Chris Jones doesn’t believe in post-game handshakes with the opposing coach.

Photograph by: DARRYL DYCK , THE CANADIAN PRESS

EDMONTON -- He’s 4-1 in the standings, but Chris Jones is 1-4 in the post-game.

The Edmonton Eskimos head coach drew some attention to himself last week when he didn’t shake hands with Calgary Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel at the conclusion of the Eskimos’ 26-22 loss.

The lack of a post-game shake wasn’t anything specific to Hufnagel or their history together, Jones said. Jones was Calgary’s defensive co-ordinator from 2008 to 2011 and when he left Calgary to join the Toronto Argonauts, the Argos drew a $5,000 tampering fine from the Canadian Football League.

There was no handshake, but more accurately, there haven’t been any handshakes; at least none initiated by Jones this season.

“I haven’t shaken hands with anybody,” Jones said on Saturday afternoon after his team’s practice at Clarke Park.

“Don Matthews, he never did it. I’ve watched the people that I’ve been brought up around and I give the signature wave just like Don did and then I walk off the field, just like Don did.

“So it’s nothing against Huff or anybody else. Osh (Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea) came over, he jogged over as I was talking with (Bombers receiver) Romby Bryant and I didn’t even see him,” Jones said of the Eskimos’ win in Winnipeg on July 17.

“I was going to wave to him too and he was already right there, so that’s the only time that I’ve ever had an official (handshake).”

Opposing coaches shaking hands is often a part of the hurried post-game picture in most pro sports. It’s not something Jones wants to humour.

“If we win … what can I say to help that guy? You know what I’m saying?” Jones said. “He’s only doing it because he has to. Or he thinks he has to.

“If they happen to win, they have nothing that they can say that I want to hear. (Argos head coach) Scott Milanovich is one of my best friends in the world and when we play Toronto it’ll be the same way. It has nothing to do with Huff.”

Pre- or post-game banter isn’t high on the coach’s list.

“I don’t make a point to go around and politic. I’m here to do one thing and that’s win football games. That’s it,” Jones said.

“I’m not here to worry about my next job, or whether so-and-so likes me. I could care less.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“I haven’t shaken hands with anybody,” Jones said on Saturday afternoon after his team’s practice at Clarke Park.

“Don Matthews, he never did it. I’ve watched the people that I’ve been brought up around and I give the signature wave just like Don did and then I walk off the field, just like Don did.

“So it’s nothing against Huff or anybody else. Osh (Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea) came over, he jogged over as I was talking with (Bombers receiver) Romby Bryant and I didn’t even see him,” Jones said of the Eskimos’ win in Winnipeg on July 17.

“I was going to wave to him too and he was already right there, so that’s the only time that I’ve ever had an official (handshake).”
“If we win … what can I say to help that guy? You know what I’m saying?” Jones said. “He’s only doing it because he has to. Or he thinks he has to.

“If they happen to win, they have nothing that they can say that I want to hear. (Argos head coach) Scott Milanovich is one of my best friends in the world and when we play Toronto it’ll be the same way. It has nothing to do with Huff.”
Well, I agree with that. What do you say to a coach whose team has just lost big time to yours?

I would have been greatly surprised if Jones had disdain for his fellow Head Coaches.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

But Jones better respect certain traditions.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/08/22/f ... ble-antics
Fans likely to forgive winning Eskimos bench boss Chris Jones after fine for missing anthem, no to mention other questionable antics

By Terry Jones, Edmonton Sun

First posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 05:33 PM MDT | Updated: Friday, August 22, 2014 06:20 PM MDT

ChrisJones0823 Chris Jones failed to get the Eskimos on the field in time for the national anthem in Ottawa, something team CEO Len Rhodes says won't happen again — ever. (Ian Kucerak, Edmonton Sun)

EDMONTON - At 4:30 p.m. local time Friday the the following statement was released:

“The Canadian Football League announced today that it has fined Edmonton Eskimo head coach Chris Jones $5,000 for disregarding pre-game timing protocol during their last three road games. This led to their players entering the field of play late which disrupted pre-game timing and operations.”

Eleven minutes later the Eskimos sent out their own statement:

“We apologize for the team’s on-field absence during the national anthem last Friday in Ottawa. It was not intentional and does not represent the tremendous respect the Edmonton Eskimo Football Club holds for the nation, the league and fans. The absence was the result of an internal miscommunication we have since corrected. Going forward, the team will align with the protocol set out by the league as to not disrupt pre-game timing and game day operations.”

Six hours earlier, in an interview with your correspondent, Edmonton CEO Len Rhodes “guaranteed” the Eskimos will show up for the opening kickoff against the Toronto Argos Saturday at Commonwealth Stadium. For this game. And for every other game on the schedule.

“Absolutely. It will not happen again,” said Rhodes.

Last weekend in the nation’s capital, a day after the team toured the Parliament Buildings and with Prime Minister Stephen Harper in the stands, the Eskimos were not on the field for O Canada.

Twice previously this season the Eskimos were tardy for the anthem.

But they’ll be out there today, at 2:07 p.m., ready for the song.

“Absolutely. It will not happen again,” said Rhodes.

“Ed Hervey has had that discussion with the head coach and everyone has assured me this will never happen again,” Rhodes told your correspondent Friday.

To this point it appeared Rhodes had his head buried in the sand, praying for another 50-50 carry over, but the Eskimos CEO’s words, followed by the late Friday afternoon announcement by the league, make it clear Jones has finally been dealt with by somebody.

If the appearance all week has been that the Eskimos were trying to sweep the whole thing under the rug, that’s not the case, swore Rhodes.

“There’s been a lot of internal discussion on that and we’re making sure that in the future it doesn’t happen again. Whether it’s in our own stadium or somewhere else, when our team is expected to be on the field for the national anthem, that’s going to be done.

“Obviously the club, myself, Ed Hervey and even the coach, don’t condone things like that.

New head coach Chris Jones has been a compelling study here this year. He’s done an exceptional job of pounding out a lot of dents in the franchise left there from last season’s 4-14 car wreck.

But Jones has been personally responsible for for adding more dents in the already battered shell of what used to be the league’s proudest, classiest and most professional franchise, the example in all areas for all other teams to follow.

Jones’s decision to not allow his team to attend Monday Morning Magic, the fabulous tradition dating back to the Tom Wilkinson, Warren Moon era of helping handicapped and disabled kids on midway rides with compassion, caring and their own big-kid joy, which was so striking the first year, the tough old Conklin Shows carney boss of the day, Colin Forbes, said it made him cry.

“In the future we will be there like we’ve always been there with players. Ed and I have both made a commitment that we are back at Monday Morning Magic. There’s no doubt about that.

“He knows the importance of it. We’ve had those discussions,” he said of his head coach.

“Monday Morning Magic is essential. Ed shares it entirely. And the coach realizes how important it is to our community. And the anthems is something we will not allow to occur again. It in no way reflects us.”

The bottom line for many is Jones’s 6-1 record.

After last year’s 4-14 season, a significant percentage of Eskimos fans don’t care if Chris Jones doesn’t have his team on the field for national anthems, shake hands with other coaches, let his players participate in Monday Morning Magic or wreck 65 years of media relations.

As long as he’s 7-1 at the end of the game Saturday, that segment of the fan base is probably OK if he goes out at the at the start of the game and pees on the goal posts.

The Eskimos are coming off a coach in Kavis Reed who was a big believer in restoring ‘The Eskimo Way.’

The ‘Eskimos Way’ hit the highway when Reed was fired.

But there’s no reason you can’t have both. For most of Eskimos history, Edmonton fans have expected both. Because the franchise lost its way is no reason not to expect first place and first class to return together again.
Jones had better respect the anthem. And he had better respect commitments to the handicapped, et cetera.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well we are talking about something other than his team and their upcoming performance. IMO, a 'good luck' handshake is certainly the way to be during the playoffs. If the losing coach wants to say 'good luck' it only makes sense.
The anthem is certainly something to be respected. Both teams need to be out there, IMO. As for other stuff like the player INTROS, I think its up to the team. The Riders certainly BLEW that off during the opening of last years Grey Cup. Certainly not a big deal, IMO, but it is something the fans (some anyways) look forward to....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

As a senior mens' amateur soccer coach I normally didn't shake hands post game (sometimes yes depending on opponent) as I didn't play.

I also refused to allow my players to do 3 cheers for the opposition as that is kids' stuff. I 'd call them over. Say something like "well played" or that was crap and shake hands and come back. They'd do the shaking.

I was called out once for that but that coach was yelling at me all game.

In the CFL it is just meaningless but the TV catches it.

I've never understood why QBs from opposing teams meet unless they knew each other.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy