Fire Benny!!!!!!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:November 1st, Edm 37 - BC 3. Pounded.

November 7, Cal 33 - BC 16, with Calgary barely breaking a sweat, running vanilla systems.

November 16, Mon 50 - BC 17. Annhilation. Humiliation. In your face mugging. Hey, Benny is the Head Coach (in name). Put it on him.
A November to un-remember.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Again, brilliant Joe...do we know where Blitz is? I am having Blitz withdrawals...I would love his input on this as well...
Thanks, MLF.

I am having withdrawals from the commentary of Blitz as well.

I need to read his view on this situation. I expect Blitz might be nursing some wounds. No one bleeds orange more than Blitz.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:November 1st, Edm 37 - BC 3. Pounded.

November 7, Cal 33 - BC 16, with Calgary barely breaking a sweat, running vanilla systems.

November 16, Mon 50 - BC 17. Annhilation. Humiliation. In your face mugging. Hey, Benny is the Head Coach (in name). Put it on him.
A November to un-remember.
SJ you could see it coming though because our Defence was ripe for the picking...I don't care who the coach is, if you don't get pressure on the opposing QB, you simply won't win playoff football games...you have to attack and force offences to play scared...just think of all the great defences that won all those championships in both leagues...psycho Defences...with EDM in the Seventies, everyone talks about Wilkie and Moon, but it was Kepley and Fennell...those two were NUTS...Kepley used to bite people regularly in the pile and Fennell would look you square in the eye and tell you quietly that he was going to kill you...very, very intimidating guys...we have two of the best, scariest LBs in a LONG TIME with Sol and Biggie...let them roam and hunt..when Sol started with the Lions he scared offences to death...now he's a tackling machine, sure, but NOT the same big hitter, intimidator...put Torri Williams in at safety and let him do some damage too...we need to attack!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree MLF, I prefer an ATTACKING defence (Don Matthews, Dave Ritchie). Make your opponent adjust to what you're doing rather than adjusting to what they're doing. Dictate the game. Force the issue. Attacking defence results in turnovers.
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I agree MLF, I prefer an ATTACKING defence (Don Matthews, Dave Ritchie). Make your opponent adjust to what you're doing rather than adjusting to what they're doing. Dictate the game. Force the issue. Attacking defence results in turnovers.
Attacking defenses can also result in big gains against them when the attack is in the wrong place or is anticipating the wrong play. A good OC and quarterback can make a blitzing defense pay dearly. As I mentioned in another thread, no one all-out attacks a Peyton Manning offense. What the Lions D needs is a much better pass rush from the front four than we have had this season, with the LBs able to drop into coverage if necessary. I'd prefer this to too much blitzing--particularly against the better quarterbacks in the CFL.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The media suggestion of the shadow of Wally the Roofer casting his image over the team with the sun behind his back (if they started early enough....lol) for me doesn't pass the smell test as this is not enough of a sign - but there were others that suggest this year might end bad for Benny. I love that image haha. Maybe get a huge blow up of Wally and make it huge and real to place Wally's image over the entire field. Wally's outline. And one at the other end like Notre Dame so when the D works out there they see his shadow.

It might be a symbol that the HC had a short leash (err has one) but more telling were Wally's statements that practices aren't being run effectively,
and Mike didn't coach well in a game.

The Roof Top Sitter is possibly what some players saw as the HC on the bubble - based on some of these other things.

But to me, these were significant too:

> the HC hasn't set the tone for this team. Skulsky piling on about penalties this week.

> His message has gradually got less focused and more unclear. Pre-game speeches started sounding like Kavis Reed was being channelled.

> His demeanour on the side line went from belly bumping early on and rah rah and back slapping to looking like a fan plucked out of the stands and asked to be HC.

> Players fingering with no names other players.

Where Wally should have a lot of 'splaining to do' is how he could justify a bogus search where able candidates wouldn't interview even as they knew mini-Wally was a lock to get the job. You'd have to be from the moon of possibly some Gulf Island where the marijuana has affected your brain not to know the race for HC was over before it started.

One thing in the defence of His Majesty Wally - he has NOT ever hired a HC prior to His Wallyness Mike Benevides but he has had lots of assistants - some of whom he'd toss under the team bus (Kruck) as soon as it suited him or he needed to do something. Even his assistants weren't always safe like some of them.

I believe His Wallyness (known as the inside princeling) was never interviewed. He just promised Wally - more of the same thinking it would get the same Wally result as HM Wally. But he was not Wally and never could be. He inherited the assistants - then ran them out for his own - and now we see the only assistant who of the two Coordinators who stood up at the end was Washington - showing that he understood that something wasn't right in the last game.

But Washington had the clown princeling trashing his def. players - not smart. Benny did to Washington - re phillips, marsh - westerman - what Wally has done to him this year. Interfering by public comments.

As Chris Burns has said - a lot of stuff coming out of this Lions team isn't what you hear from a championship club.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MexicoLionFan
Legend

So true Toppy, Wally had a chance to grab Hufnagel, Chris Jones, Dave Dickenson, Mike O'Shea, Scott Milanovich, Kent Austin, Rich Campbell, etc...he passed on the creme de la creme of CFL coaching for a guy that has no answers and very little experience...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein