Post Mortem on the Season, Als 50 - Leos 17

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
LU wrote:As they packed their belongings following a 12-minute meeting, some players admitted there was not a universal belief that the roster decisions were always made by Benevides this year but by Buono.

“Some of the older guys were kind of getting burned out by some of the things that were taking place,” veteran Ryan Phillips said. “You can get a sense which moves are being made by whom.”
That is not good. It is a bit shocking. The Head Coach has to run the team.
Suitor on 1040 yesterday said he was told by MB himself that MB & WB worked together on composing the gameday roster every week. They even ran that clip a few times through the day.
WestCoastJoe wrote:
LU wrote:Buono defended his position, pointing out instances where he internally opposed player decisions by Benevides that he supported for public consumption, making it clear he isn’t about to change his approach.

“I can’t vanish,” said Buono.
I disagree. As GM, Wally does have to disappear from practices, from player decisions, from many, many things that are the province of the Head Coach.
I wondered earlier in the season whether WB's rooftop presence at practice bore any parallel to what went on in Ssk a few years ago with Miller and Marshall but IIRC, while you felt it meddlesome at the time, you weren't concerned to that extent. Does this prompt any re-evaluation? I suppose it may still be quite different in at least degree.

I wonder how much input Popp has on Higgins's gameday roster? Or Hervey on Jones's? Etc
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Live or die by the blitz. That has never been Wally's approach. Nor Benny's in his brief time at DC. Nor Mark Washington's in his brief time at DC.
Does it surprise you WCJ about the latter if it was the approach of the former? Glen Suitor was quite revealing yesterday about Wally's micro-management
in his TSN1040 interview. Said Bene does not have the authority to make roster decisions. His boss is involved in the decision making.

DH :cool:
Herein lies the problem. It's not Benevides' team. Benevides is the puppet with Buono pulling the strings.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
David wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Live or die by the blitz. That has never been Wally's approach. Nor Benny's in his brief time at DC. Nor Mark Washington's in his brief time at DC.
Does it surprise you WCJ about the latter if it was the approach of the former? Glen Suitor was quite revealing yesterday about Wally's micro-management
in his TSN1040 interview. Said Bene does not have the authority to make roster decisions. His boss is involved in the decision making.

Herein lies the problem. It's not Benevides' team. Benevides is the puppet with Buono pulling the strings.
ABSOLUTELY TLK...this is a mess because Wally is still running things from just out of the direct light...it reminds me a little of the wizard of oz...Wally behind the curtain pulling the strings...you can guess who the scarecrow, tin man and lion are...

Joe, thanks so much for posting all of this and your observations...the newspaper guys are being cautious in their comments not wanting to incite a riot in the public or lose access to the team, but they have made it as clear as they feel its safe to that its a very unhealthy, unusual construct in BC, that there are major problems and that little is likely to occur if Wally is in charge...and clearly Wally is in charge...Skulsky's comments changed immediately prior to being told that Wally was coming back by Braley...his criticisms went directly to Mike Benevides thus towing the company line. Braley and Skulsky know exactly what is wrong with this team but Braley is concerned that pulling the plug on Wally could turn into a complete rebuild and kill his chances to sell the team...I think that is fearful thinking and a mistake. It is very clear from all the reporters that VERY FEW proven coaches will want to come to BC with Wally...who take on a job where you had to keep Dorazio and McMann???

People may not like the suggestion that Wally uses his personal views and beliefs to favour some over others, but there is now no longer any doubt that he does and why some BIZARRE roster decisions are continually being made...JR LaRose, Marco Iannuzzi, Kito Poblah, Dan Dorazio, Chuck McMann, Mark Washington what do they all have in common with Wally? You do your own investigation (if you care to know the truth) and find out. Wally is RUTHLESS to almost all, even the public in his comments, but soft as a lamb with a select group of others who are failing the public trust!

If things stay status quo we are in BIG TROUBLE! Fans have been brainwashed to think that this season was Kevin Glenn's fault and so he will be run out of town to get rid of the memory. But a little news for you, Johhny Unitas could have QB'ed the Lions this season and looked like Glenn in the Eastern Final. It wasn't Glenn's fault (and I am not a big Kevin Glenn fan) and now by running him out of town WE HAVE NO ONE PROVEN AT QB...no one! Lulay is NOT coming back people...he may try but it will not last...and if the Lions waste money, time and resources on Lulay's return in the face of finding a permanent solution, it will only further set us back.

I said in my post that we needed to unite here and FORCE Buono and the Lions to make a serious change before this thing fully exploded (because guess what, it hasn't)...I don't see the unification...people who complained all year about a horrible on field product are prepared to think that its Khari Jones and everything will be okay when we find a replacement...WAKE UP...if you thought that Khari Jones was "bottom of the barrel" this season wait to see what you get next year...NO ONE OF CONSEQUENCE will come to this train wreck...no one with a brain will want to coach UNDER MB and no one will take on Dorazio as an OLine coach...it is a guarantee for failure...I heard Khari Jones was acting before coming to the Lions...well, he had better take some more lessons because good luck ever getting another CFL job after that disaster....AND IT WASN'T HIS FAULT...he was hungry and foolish enough to walk right into a bear trap! SNAP, it just took off his head!

As Joe said, the players have now come out with their concerns...NO BELIEF in our ability to be successful with these coaches...no understanding of who is running the team and making the decisions...if we think that MB is a Puppet (as TLK said so well) WHAT DO YOU THINK THE PLAYERS BELIEVE????

If the Lions MGT is foolish enough to keep Wally as GM and Wally has no made it perfectly clear that he is tampering and has NO INTENTION of stopping, even if we do fire MB we won't find anyone with a brain, because outside of desperate, who would take this job? Dickenson or Ritchie Hall would both demand to be given FULL CONTROL over the coaching staff and the roster, plus be given assurances that Wally backed right off from practices and in the press...would Wally agree to this? Not from his incredibly EGOTISTICAL comments yesterday...Wally made it very clear that he is in charge with the Lions and that he has NO INTENTION of backing off...that just scared most everyone away...it also just CEMENTED the beliefs among CFL players that Wally is an ego-maniac and in full control of the Lions...unless we trade for players and bring them in from the States, we are going to get ANYONE to agree to come here under these circumstances. Wally Buono's approach to football is a SQUARE...the CFL is now a shape that is round...continually trying to force your square into the round hole defines Einstein's definition of INSANITY. Which is a suitable moniker for this franchise in trouble...and unless we unite together and let the Lions know that we won't stick around for Custer's Last Stand, that is exactly what is going to happen over the next two years to Wally...the game has past him by...people and relationships have passed him by...you cannot micro manage...you do exhaustive searches to find the best players and coaches and then TRUST and SUPPORT their every move! That's Wallys job and he's not doing it...does anyone here actually think that Benevides was the best candidate available to take over the Lions? If you do I've got some land in...

Chris Jones, John Hufnagel, Corey Chambliss, Mike O'Shea, Kent Austin, Scott Milanovich are all light years ahead of MB...and he won't EVER get there unless he leaves the Lions and does what Joe said...start again...work in the CIS for a while...get a job in the NCAA...work his way up to a positional coach in the NFL...make contacts, learn different ideas and perspectives so that you can have a plan and make sure it is aware of what's out there...and that's the key...Washington, Jones, McMann, Benevides DON'T HAVE A CLUE what Chris Jones is all about and what he trying to do..."oh, he just blitzes a lot"...that is only a response to a symptom...Jones will blitz and blitz and blitz until its not what is best...then he CHANGES/ADAPTS to what works...his isn't a coach that likes to blitz, he's a coach that likes to WIN!

Could you imagine what would happen if Ed Hervey ever sat down with Jones and told him how to populate his roster or how to run his defence??? Hervey would be looking for his teeth!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
LU wrote:As they packed their belongings following a 12-minute meeting, some players admitted there was not a universal belief that the roster decisions were always made by Benevides this year but by Buono.

“Some of the older guys were kind of getting burned out by some of the things that were taking place,” veteran Ryan Phillips said. “You can get a sense which moves are being made by whom.”
That is not good. It is a bit shocking. The Head Coach has to run the team.
Suitor on 1040 yesterday said he was told by MB himself that MB & WB worked together on composing the gameday roster every week. They even ran that clip a few times through the day.
WestCoastJoe wrote:
LU wrote:Buono defended his position, pointing out instances where he internally opposed player decisions by Benevides that he supported for public consumption, making it clear he isn’t about to change his approach.

I disagree. As GM, Wally does have to disappear from practices, from player decisions, from many, many things that are the province of the Head Coach.
I wondered earlier in the season whether WB's rooftop presence at practice bore any parallel to what went on in Ssk a few years ago with Miller and Marshall but IIRC, while you felt it meddlesome at the time, you weren't concerned to that extent. Does this prompt any re-evaluation? I suppose it may still be quite different in at least degree.

I wonder how much input Popp has on Higgins's gameday roster? Or Hervey on Jones's? Etc
From a management point of view, this is a dysfunctional mess. And of course the players sense it. The players can recognize certain decisions as coming from Buono, and some coming from Benevides. One can feel the hand on the decision. Same as a child can tell who made a decision, Mom or Dad.
The GM has to get out of the kitchen. The Head Coach has to make the "suit or sit" decisions. The Head Coach has to set the philosophy of offence and defence.
Suitor on 1040 yesterday said he was told by MB himself that MB & WB worked together on composing the gameday roster every week. They even ran that clip a few times through the day. -- sj-roc
Wally Buono is still the Head Coach of this team. Mike Benevides is the one who takes the blame for the losses. Very convenient for Wally, although I am sure he did not plan it that way. Wally cannot let go. Wally thinks he is doing the best thing by keeping his hands on the steering wheel. But he is screwing up the team.

Honestly, as GM, he should be fired for this.

This is shockingly blind. Benny's head must have been spinning for most of the year. Ok, Wally is saying publicly that he supports this decision, but we argued over it in private (my words). :dizzy:

Conservative defence. Wally's defence. Vanilla offence. Wally's offence. Lack of detailed game prep. Wally's preference. Lack of adjustments. Wally's preference. It is all on Wally. Play it safe attitude. Wally's approach. Focus on execution over Xs and Os "trickery": Wally.

Wally is the Head Coach. As noted on here by TLK, Benny is the puppet.

Any failures on the field can be laid at the feet of Wally Buono.

Ive been critical of Wally for his Head Coach hiring decision. I still am. But I was thinking the failures on the field were on Benny as Head Coach. Now I have to say that it seems clear Wally tied the hands of Mike Benevides. He undermined him. Two guys struggling for the steering wheel. Of course Benny lost the room.

This mess is all on Wally.

As one of the sports writers said, what self-respecting Head Coach would want to come in here and work in this environment?

Whatever happens from here on out, it will be interesting, but it won't be pretty.

It is a shambles, on its way to a train wreck.

Sad to say, this sports management situation is becoming one for business school study. Not in a good way. How a once-proud organization lost its way and fell into decline and decay.

Just IMO ... I know others will see it differently. Oh, it's not that bad. Just give it time. Wally will sort it out. With Benny or back with Wally, it will be all right.

From what we have seen and heard, I do not think so.

Wally on the Rooftop, every single practice. Or Wally on the Tower, every single practice.

Hank Stram coached from the Tower. Bear Bryant also. But they were the Head Coaches. And that is what Wally Buono is: the Head Coach.

The future? ... My guess is Wally relieves Mike Benevides of his duties as Head Coach. And Wally reinstates himself as Head Coach. Alternative: Wally keeps Benny as Head Coach, but Benny is just a figurehead. Wally will be the Head Coach, as he has never really given that up.

And, as noted, what self-respecting Head Coach would come here to be a figurehead, or worse, a puppet?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

And from Mike Beamish ...
“Football is a very structured game,” McCallum said. “If you can’t follow simple instructions, how are you going to perform on the field? If you’re ignoring where you’ve been told to park, if you’re talking in a meeting when you should be listening, there’s something wrong. From the time you get here, until the time you leave, it’s about doing your job and paying attention. When you get out on the field, and you don’t know what you’re supposed to be doing because you were goofing around … it compounds.”
“There is only a small minority of guys who have that turn-it-on, turn-it-off switch,” Phillips said. “The majority of guys aren’t built like that. There were things (behaviours) in practice that got us out of our disciplines. It brought about scenarios where we had more losses than we probably should have. For the guys who do come back, we’ve got to come back re-focused, with a sense of urgency, one that’s about putting personal agendas aside and focusing on our jobs. We’ve got a lot of growing up to do as a team.”
There has been some discussion as to whether Mike Benevides lost the room.

These kind of comments from players would seem to indicate that he did. And yet, what chance did Mike Benevides have to get players to buy in, when they all knew it was Wally's team? Who calls the shots? Who sets the game day roster? Who sets the philosophy of conservative or attack? Who watches every detail from the Tower? Or the Rooftop?

Blame it on Mike. Sure, he is the Head Coach ... in name and title. But it seems to me Wally Buono has never given up the reins. Wally is still the Head Coach, but once removed from the field, up to the Tower.

And Wally has a "lifetime" contract from David Braley. The Lions are Wally's fiefdom.

Change Head Coaches? What highly qualified HC would come here under these circumstances?

Either Wally stays with Benny, or Wally resumes the Head Coach title himself. At least if he did resume the title, we would know where to place responsibility for the results on the field.

It is a complicated ... mess. And it is going to take a long time to play out to its unhappy ending.

David Braley wishes to sell the team. He had better hurry, as the value of the brand is in decline. Conversely what prospective new owner wants to buy an outfit that is becoming more dysfunctional every year? It will take a new owner to start the rebuilding program. Do we need a rebuilding program? Not so much with the players, but with the management (and on into the coaching), it seems to me.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What a mess ! Benevides a puppet head coach, Wally Buono de facto head coach, and David Braley the owner who gave Buono a lifetime job and has no plan to fire him. If Benevides get fired I would like to see Buono return to the sideline. No hiding, let him face the wrath of the fans. I'm beginning to have some sympathy for Benny.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:What a mess ! Benevides a puppet head coach, Wally Buono de facto head coach, and David Braley the owner who gave Buono a lifetime job and has no plan to fire him. If Benevides get fired I would like to see Buono return to the sideline. No hiding, let him face the wrath of the fans. I'm beginning to have some sympathy for Benny.
Yes, with all that is coming out, Benny had no chance...but remember, Benny also had no idea on how to help his embattled assistants...if a dumb fan like myself can see the HUGE ILLUSION the Lions D was by week 8, you don't think other teams (especially in the west) didn't figure it out as well??? Its Benny's job to direct his coordinators...clearly there was none of it...in fact, based on Joe's outstanding insight, I think it was WALLY who was giving direction to the coordinators...both Jones and and Washington talked this past offseason about ATTACKING the opposition...neither did any of it...they played boring, predictable systems continually trying to fit a square peg into a round hole...even Washington hinted at this Sunday with his post game comments...it was almost as if Wash was forcing Wally's hand by making those comments publicly giving him room to change up the defence next season to what HE ACTUALLY WANTED! Who knows, but the Lion's Defence was a bubble the size of the US Mortgage scam that finally blew up...somebody needed to say or do something before MTL...

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

Fans speak out, in Lowell Ullrich's column ...

Ouch. Some may think regular Lionbackers posters are harsh and tough. These fans leave a scorched earth, and it seems Wally is the primary target.
Dear Leos: Fans have strong opinions on the B.C. Lions

BY LOWELL ULLRICH, THE PROVINCE NOVEMBER 19, 2014

Dear Leos: Fans have strong opinions on the B.C. Lions

B.C. Lions quarterback Travis Lulay talks to the media as players clean out their lockers at the Surrey training facility Tuesday. The team is being criticized for not always being honest about his health.

We asked, you delivered. We asked for your thoughts on the CFL season that ended in embarrassing fashion for the B.C. Lions this week and, as usual, Province Sports readers didn’t hold back, especially where general manager Wally Buono and coach Mike Benevides are concerned. Here’s an edited sampling of the responses received to Province Sports and football writer Lowell Ullrich the last few days.
Problem starts with owner

The problem is rooted way deeper than the assistant coach or even the head coach level. David Braley is on record as saying the club is for sale and that he has multiple serious offers. Now is the time he should accept one. Braley’s success with the Lions can be traced to one astute move — he brought Bobby Ackles back into the fold. We are in grave danger of squandering his legacy.

As a fan I have been particularly frustrated by the Travis Lulay situation. I believe that the club has been less than forthcoming about his health the last two seasons in order to secure season ticket renewals.

Leaving Buono in charge will just lead to more of the same as Benevides or some of the assistants will be scapegoated like Jacques Chapdelaine was. I agree it is time to “burn the ship” but Braley should light the torch and Wally should go down with it.

— Laurence Betts, Burnaby
It all comes back to Buono

The GM doesn’t seem to have the NFL connections that Ackles had for recruitment. We need offensive line and defensive secondary players. Dante Marsh and Ryan Phillips have been here too long; why the TV media keeps interviewing them is beyond me. There hasn’t been a capable safety since Barron Miles. What happened to the pressure? Where did Alex Bazzie go the last half of the season? But the number one problem was the lack of ability of the offensive line. A mediocre quarterback who can’t roll out or make the reads fast enough is a dead duck. It all comes back to Wally.

—Robert Everett, West Vancouver
Don’t scrap everyone

This year was disappointing to say the least. However, I don’t think it is time for dumping all that has been built because of one bad playoff game. The injuries were difficult to overcome. Trying to play an offence built for Travis Lulay with Kevin Glenn turned out badly. Also, we need to find some better Canadian receivers. This year’s group was pathetic. There are some holes to fill for next year, but I don’t believe there is a need to scrap everyone and start over.

— Carolyn McArdle, Port Moody
Blame it on Wally

Why should Buono be brought back? After two years of decline, so many players over-evaluated by Wally, so few replacements brought in to help, no decent starting quarterback and the worst Canadian talent level in the league, why should he continue to run this team?

Also, every player knows it’s Wally’s team, not Mike Benevides, which seems to be compounding all the other issues. Every decision can be blamed on Wally and should be.

This team will be poor for at least three more years and not until they can start to draft better Canadian players. He hasn’t done a great job of drafting either.

— Gary Graves
It’s the coach, obviously

The game Sunday was not only a total disgrace, but a total embarrassment to all the loyal B.C. fans in this province. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist or even a new fan to the game to realize the problem is with the quality of the coaching.

— Frank Pew
Defence worn out

The defence carried the team. However, they looked worn out in the last three games, and no wonder — they were on the field way too much over the course of the season due to the ineptitude of the offence.

This year was a classic example of why quarterbacks get the big bucks, too much of the glory when things go well and too much of the blame when they go sour. I would like to be a fly on the wall in Wally Buono’s office!

— Ken Grieve
Benevides started slide

The slide to mediocrity coincidentally began the day Benevides took over. This year a journeyman QB replacing an injured Travis Lulay had so many two-and-outs and/or turnovers that the vaunted defence (just like the Sedins) were running on fumes.

— Ian Sexton
Lions a joke

I’m ashamed to say I’m a fan. In three years Benevides has taken a contender and made a joke of a once proud football team. Benevedes doesn’t seem to be head-coach ready, Khari Jones should be let go and somebody has got to find replacements for J.R. LaRose and Dante Marsh.

— Stephen Van Balkom
Ditch the dictator!

This team was poorly coached. The lack of continuity did not do much to instil player confidence. Further, in-game, coaching decisions were ill-conceived.

Who’s fault is it? To me, this year’s disgrace rests solely on the dictatorial shoulders of Wally Buono. He is definitely past his best-before date and should exit stage left now so that a replacement can be hired soon enough to try to save next season.

— Bill Lott
The odds, as I see this situation unfolding ...

60-40. Wally relieves Benny of HC duties, and reinstates himself as the Head Coach.

40-60. Benny returns as Head Coach.

Both prospects exciting. No?

Wait until we hear about the changes to come. Players. Two or three new coaches. Yee Hah ... Systems and schemes? Nah ... Block and tackle. Back to the Stone Age.

David
Team Captain

I don't disagree WCJ. I could see a situation in which the Wally puts himself back on the sidelines until a suitable coaching candidate is found, and either dismisses Bene outright or demotes him to Special Teams coordinator (as he has term left on his contract).

What I'd like to see:

Head Coach: Dave Dickenson
O-Coordinator: Jeff Garcia (working in tandem with Dave, with DD 'grooming' him as he's new to the position)
O-line: Kelly Bates
Receivers: Geroy Simon
Special Teams: Craig Dickenson or Barron Miles

I am fine with D but want to see a more aggressive approach.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:I don't disagree WCJ. I could see a situation in which the Wally puts himself back on the sidelines until a suitable coaching candidate is found, and either dismisses Bene outright or demotes him to Special Teams coordinator (as he has term left on his contract).

What I'd like to see:

O-Coordinator: Jeff Garcia (working in tandem with Dave to 'groom' him)

Santa is always looking for requests, especially this time of year.

Looks like a good list, but I can't see DD wanting to make the move, he is in a better position in Calgary than Benevides was in BC as OC when he turned down TO. The only thing that DD might consider is the real possibility of departing the Stamps before the conclussion of Cornish's career. With his head injuries, he is one hit away from calling it a career. Without Cornish, the Stamps aren't the offensive team that DD can hang his hat on, but a defensive based team if they win games. That also made me think a little, how much of DD's success has been based on having the best running back in the CFL over the last couple of seasons? Perhaps he isn't quite as good as we think he is....
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Joe, the more I think about it, the more I see Wally firing MB and taking over the reigns, which is fitting that he goes down with the ship that he built and never let go of...BUT mark my words, we won't get ANYONE of consequence to replace Jones as the OC and it will mean that McMann and Dorazio return...if this occurs, or Wally keeps MB and just tries to replace Jones this team will crash and burn...we don't have a QB right now and perhaps won't for another 2 years...this franchise is at a crossroads...no doubt about it...Wally's old school philosophy of "line 'em up and enforce your will" is OVER in the CFL. This has become a VERY SKILLED X's and O's league with bright, bright coaches all over the country...even in OTT Rich Campbell is a smart guy, and his team was the best 2-16 football team in history...if they get some more players and a good young QB, that team is going to be good...the same can be said for the Bombers who already have a good young QB...again, how much better will EDM be with better players??? How about HAM if one of their QBs steps up and begins to dominate...SSK will retool...

If Wally thinks that he can come back with Vanilla coordinators, run a tight ship, and get back to the playoffs he has another thing coming. Unless the Lion's get a Chris Jones, Rich Campbell type DC their D is going to struggle...and without MAGIC our offence is only going to get worse without a QB...part of me is okay with Wally coming back because it will lead to a full house cleaning within 2 years...the problem will be how many people will care at that point?

All this falls on Wally and to that extent, David Braley...great guy, but an owner MUST be hands on or he MUST have a Bob Ackles type President who is hands on. Buono clearly does NOT listen to or fear Skulsky, and as such Wally has been doing everything he has personally wanted. Ackles would NEVER have allowed Wally to simply appoint MB without a full coaching search being done...unless Braley takes a hands on approach, or empowers Skulsky, Wally will run the franchise into the ground, completely believing that he is helping the team...Wally believes in what he preaches!

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

David wrote:I don't disagree WCJ. I could see a situation in which the Wally puts himself back on the sidelines until a suitable coaching candidate is found, and either dismisses Bene outright or demotes him to Special Teams coordinator (as he has term left on his contract).

What I'd like to see:

O-Coordinator: Jeff Garcia (working in tandem with Dave, with DD 'grooming' him as he's new to the position)

This is close to what I recommended a few days ago and it would be a great move for the Lions...the key would be assurances to DD from Wally...if Dave took this on he would demand certain things from Wally, would Wally be willing to live up to them???

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

What I'd like to see:

I agree, other than wanting Craig Dickenson for special teams. He hasn't impressed me in his stints with other teams but if he's part of a package team with his brother, that would be OK.

The most likely move is that Wally takes over coaching himself. I hadn't thought of demoting Bene to special teams coordinator but that would make sense financially. And his most successful stint as an assistant was with special teams.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

What I'd like to see:

Oh my. To dream. To have hope.

I actually think Dave D would not mind moving back into his place in White Rock. And Dave D might think John Hufnagel is a long ways from giving up the HC gig.

Would Wally be willing to give up total control of the football team, as should happen with a fully qualified Head Coach? Personnel. Systems and Schemes. Playbook. Game prep. Philosophy on O and D. That is what it would take. It might take a nudge from David Braley.

Re player personnel. The staff bring them in, with HC as part of the group which makes the decisions. But the HC must make the decisions on who stays, who plays, and who gets the apple, map and bus ticket out of town.

I like the shopping list, David.

Geroy? Yes. Part of a healing process. Would Geroy want to be a receivers coach? Does Geroy hope to be a Head Coach some day? I can't see Geroy only wanting the entry level of coaching. I have not really thought of Geroy in a coaching capacity. Geroy might be more interested in the business side of things. And by that I do not mean GM.

STs? Receivers coach? The other positions are more crucial at this time.

Defence? We don't even know if that was representative of what Mark W really believes in. Wally has a heavy hand, and he prefers to play it "safe." Conservative all the way.

Fans live in hopes.

Almost a pipe dream, compiling this very attractive list.

Oh Yes, and that represents Xs and Os mastery on offence. Dickenson and Garcia. A fan could hardly hope for more.

Watching Dickenson on the sidelines, one can see the wheels turning. One can also picture him in quiet times, in an easy chair, eyes on the ceiling or closed, dreaming up new schemes, new plays, new ways to attack tendencies or minor weaknesses, game to game.

For a guy his size to even get a cup of coffee in the NFL speaks volumes about his football intelligence.

And Kelly Bates for O Line coach? Oh my God. Please. LOL

I refer to the O Line thread which takes on a life each year.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27474

Back in a darker, more grey world, it seems to me we will get Wally back as Head Coach. Three yards and a cloud of dust on offence. On defence ... Four man pass rush. No blitzing as that just gives up big plays. Big cushion with the DBs. You know, the offence has to make 12 precise plays to go all the way down and score. Nothing fancy like overloads on the LOS. Play like men. Out execute your opponent. Enforce your will on them. (Playing Devil's Advocate here, as attack was always my approach as an amateur coach in any sport).

cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: I agree, other than wanting Craig Dickenson for special teams. He hasn't impressed me in his stints with other teams but if he's part of a package team with his brother, that would be OK.
Can't be any worse than McMann, right?