Post Mortem on the Season, Als 50 - Leos 17

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

Fans speak out, in Lowell Ullrich's column ...

Ouch. Some may think regular Lionbackers posters are harsh and tough. These fans leave a scorched earth, and it seems Wally is the primary target.
I think the fans got it right.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Joe, the more I think about it, the more I see Wally firing MB and taking over the reigns, which is fitting that he goes down with the ship that he built and never let go of...BUT mark my words, we won't get ANYONE of consequence to replace Jones as the OC and it will mean that McMann and Dorazio return...if this occurs, or Wally keeps MB and just tries to replace Jones this team will crash and burn...we don't have a QB right now and perhaps won't for another 2 years...this franchise is at a crossroads...no doubt about it...
As frustrating as it was watching the offence this year, I can't help but wonder is this really Khari Jones' offence ? When he was introduced as Chapdelaine's replacement, he mentioned about an ATTACKING offence. All season long we've been witnessed to a CONSERVATIVE offence, and defence despite been told otherwise. Is this a result of Buono's micro management style of doing things conservatively ??
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:Joe, the more I think about it, the more I see Wally firing MB and taking over the reigns, which is fitting that he goes down with the ship that he built and never let go of...BUT mark my words, we won't get ANYONE of consequence to replace Jones as the OC and it will mean that McMann and Dorazio return...if this occurs, or Wally keeps MB and just tries to replace Jones this team will crash and burn...we don't have a QB right now and perhaps won't for another 2 years...this franchise is at a crossroads...no doubt about it...
As frustrating as it was watching the offence this year, I can't help but wonder is this really Khari Jones' offence ? When he was introduced as Chapdelaine's replacement, he mentioned about an ATTACKING offence. All season long we've been witnessed to a CONSERVATIVE offence, and defence despite been told otherwise. Is this a result of Buono's micro management style of doing things conservatively ??
TLK I wrote about this yesterday on both Jones and Washington...both said ATTACKING styles...and then not long after the hire, Jones was saying that he didn't have to do much, it was basically Chaps offence and he just needed to call the right plays at the right time...there is a distinct possibility that both coordinators were cooped by Wally and told to tame down their systems...as both ended up doing the opposite of what they said. I think that Washington's comments after the game Sunday were code for "it wasn't me, I wanted to be aggressive", both were being pressured this season...now the question, by whom? Wally or Benny? Or Benny for Wally?
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Enjoyed Wally's press conference ...

Some notes ...

Part 1

Did Mike lose the room? WB is not in the room. He sees what anyone can see on the field. Penalties, etc. Not good enough.

I thought Wally held back some tears, when he talked about the pain brought on a family, when the father loses his job, his dream, his livelihood.

9 and 9 was mediocre. Penalties. 2 and outs.

Wally says he did not help enough.

Was he too involved? WB says a GM has to be involved with some decisions. He felt he did allow autonomy for the coaches.

Part 2

He told Braley and Skulsky that he would only coach on an emergency basis.

Team needs a fresh start. WB says he is not fresh. Not new age. Doesn't understand the youth and players of today. Needs new blood.

Anybody in mind for HC? Kind of dodged a bit. Has someone in mind. No names.

Benny asked for a quick resolution. Otherwise Wally might have waited a week or two.

He wants the Lions to be feared. WB mentions Solomon as a player with pride and performance game in and game out. Players need to establish an identity, and that builds the team's identity. The staff try to bring that out.

Excellent press conference in my opinion. Wally at his best.

Others might see it differently, perhaps.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Pretty good press conference from Wally as he seem very open and honest in his evaluation.

He mentioned that a 9-9 season along with the direction that things were going as being not good enough on a couple of occasions. Actually the 9-9 record flatters the Lions.

Just going from memory:
I recall the most recent win over Bombers, the Lions were outplayed for most of the game, but the D line pulled off a bunch of sacks in the 4th to get the win.

The 7-5 victory in Ottawa should have been an 8-7 loss but for the severe weather intervention causing Ottawa to miss a FG.

The Lions were outplayed most of the game in the early season win in Calgary. It seemed that at crucial points in the game a Lion stepped up and made a play, but overall the Lions were out coached in that one.

For the rest of the early season my memory might be faulty but I don't recall any close games where one could say that the Lions could or should have won except that they couldn't get a break or two.

This could easily have been a 8-10 team or worse. But it is a good thing that they made the playoffs and got the opportunity to be so embarrassed that Wally was forced to take action.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote: This could easily have been a 8-10 team or worse. But it is a good thing that they made the playoffs and got the opportunity to be so embarrassed that Wally was forced to take action.
For sure. Our team would have continued to rot from the inside out. This makes a possible recovery a bit quicker.

So much depends on the guy Wally chooses. And I can't help but think that Dave D was the guy Wally wanted.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The most telling comment for me was the need for a "fresh" start and that it does not include Buono returning to the sidelines. I agree that he has a candidate in mind. Hope whoever he hires has the full authority to make changes as he sees fit without any interference from upstairs.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Liked what Buono had to say. Wanting the BC LIons to become feared again. Wanting the team to have an identity.

I think it takes courage for him to admit what many of us probably also think of him---that he just doesn't get certain aspects of players/coaching today. Buono obviously still feels (as I do) that he can contribute and has stuff to offer in the position of GM but at the same time, TIMES HAVE CHANGED.....

Liked them both but Part 2 was probably more enjoyable, IMO.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

After watching a big chunk of both semi-final games, I was kind of wondering ...

How far have we, the Lions, fallen behind the top teams? Hmmmmmmmm

Well Calgary has developed, and has ready to play, both Bo Levi Mitchell and Drew Tate.

Hamilton has both Zach Collaros and Dan LeFevour.

(Wally mentioned how we might be 2 or 3 years behind in our development of QBs, two or three years before we can see a top level QB on the field that we have developed. Pessimistic? Dunno ... But it ain't pretty.)

Calgary has, at its top, Xs and Os masters such as John Hufnagel, Dave Dickenson and Rich Stubler.

Hamilton has Kent Austin, who, in three years of Head Coach work, has three trips to the Grey Cup. I would have to credit him also with Xs and Os mastery. Steinauer ain't bad either. And methinks Tommy Condell is no slouch.
CONDELL COACHING HISTORY

2013-14 Offensive Coordinator / Receivers Coach Hamilton Tiger-Cats
2010-12 Asst. Head Coach / Wide Receivers Coach Cornell
2007-09 Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks Coach Southeastern Louisiana
2006 Offensive Coordinator Saskatchewan Roughriders
2004-05 QBs and Receivers Coach / Passing Coordinator Ottawa Rengades
2002-03 Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks Coach Louisiana-Monroe
2001 Special Teams Coordinator / Tight Ends Coach Louisiana-Monroe
2000 Receivers Coach / Pass Game Coordinator Stephen F. Austin
1998-99 Tight Ends Coach / Asst. Offensive Line Coach McNeese State
1997 Special Teams Coordinator Winnipeg Blue Bombers
1996 Running Backs and Linebackers Coach Albany Firebirds
Receivers Coach Hamilton College
1995 Running Backs Coach Illinois Wesleyan
Oh my ...

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CONDELL COACHING HISTORY

I don't know if Condell is a good coach or not, but I wonder about a guy who has held 12 jobs in 20 years. Coaches generally don't move unless they're fired or offered a promotion.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
CONDELL COACHING HISTORY

I don't know if Condell is a good coach or not, but I wonder about a guy who has held 12 jobs in 20 years. Coaches generally don't move unless they're fired or offered a promotion.
(In the interview process, each job experience would be explored.)

(In the relationship between Austin and Condell, Austin must think all those experiences Condell has had are an advantage. And it seems evident to me, Austin thinks highly of Condell.)

And yet he keeps getting jobs.

Biggest recommendation? Hired by Kent Austin at Cornell, and again at Hamilton.

Both Collaros and LeFevour played with confidence this year, with him as OC.

Not putting his name out there for a spot with the Lions. But IMO his resume is deep.

IMO many assistants in football are like itinerant workers. I would not necessarily look at Condell's frequent change of jobs as a bad thing. Needs to be looked at deeper.

We have an assistant who has been here for 12 years. Great stability. Must be the top O Line coach in the country, one might think. Or ... He might have a tough time getting volunteer football coaching work, if he is released this year. And we just released another coach who has been here 12 years. Stability has two sides to it. If the people in place are top notch, stability is all to the good. If they are not top notch, or if they stagnate, then the franchise loses momentum, and begins to slide down the slope.

It seems to me Austin is the real OC in Hamilton. However, as I indicated, I have a hunch Condell is a pretty good coach. And he hasn't been with Austin for 12 years. Much exposure to different programs and staffs.

Blitz
Team Captain

The hiring of a new Head Coach and who returns and who doesn't return as assistant coaches is going to prove very interesting.

Here are a few thoughts on the process.

1. It will be difficult to bring in a very good Head Coach if he isn't given autonomy to hire his own assistants and play who he wants to play.

2. In the past, the offensive scheme was determined by the offensive play book back from Wally's early Calgary days. Khari Jones was forced to use the same play book that Chap used and Chap, both in B.C. and Calgary, was forced to use the same play book that Cortez used, who had used the scheme that Hufnagel had introduced - the spread offence. There were two exceptions to the spread offence.

3.The first exception to our offence was in 2007, when Chap had left at the end of 2006 to go to Edmonton, frustrated that Benevedes was being groomed as the heir apparent. Hufnagel was hired as a consultant. He was no longer a spread offence devotee. His NFL experience and his ability to change his offensive philosophy led to Hufnagel pushing Wally to use a more run oriented philosophy. With Kruck calling the plays our Leos led the CFL in offensive scoring. However, the run first philosophy was not liked by the receivers who went to Wally. The result. Chap was hired back to run the old offence.

4. The second exception to our offence was in 2011. Our Leos had continued to deteriorate from 2008 to 2011 under Wally and with another terrible start to the season many fans and some of the sports media were calling for Wally's head. Chap was given a more free reign to make adaptions to the play book. He was still stuck with Dorazio but Chap introduced a lot of motion and misdirection into the offence. Our offence turned around, we won the Grey Cup and had an excellent offence in 2012. We strugged to run the football in mid-season in 2013. Dorazio changed the run blocking scheme towards the end of the season and voila - we ran for over 200 yards per game for the last 3 games. But then Chap was shown the door to protect Benevedes and Jones was hired. It was back to the old spread playbook under Jones.

5. The only exception to what I will call the Buono "Calgary" defense (basic zone defense, drop the linebackers into pass coverage, rush four) was under Dave Ritchie and the first season of Rich Stubler as defensive coordinator. Ritchie was an attack defensvie coordinator. It drove Buono crazy. Buono would try to call defenses over Ritchie during games until the players asked Buono to stop doing it. Benevedes took over after Ritchie retired and we were back to the old Buono conservatvie defense. We won the Grey Cup in 2011 because Benevedes finally got Buono to give him 5 and then 6 defensive lineman to get pressure. Wally does not like blitzing except as a change up. In 2012, we played Stubler defense and set records but Stubler was under a lot of pressure to play more conservative. Stubler was also forced to insert Sol E. into the lineup, after Buono signed him, and that disrupted the defense toward the end of the season, which had been record setting. Stubler was forced to run a more conservative style in 2013. This season Mark Washington has run a Buono style defense.

6. Buono gets way more credit as a coach than he deserves. He is a very good manager of a team in the Head Coaching position but he is a lousy coach and he is especially a lousy game day coach. Buono was demanding, set a tone for expectation, was ruthless, and demanding. His assistants coach. Buono ran the short yardage offence for years and years and did a terrible job but the problem is that Wally thinks he is an excellent coach. What he really is is a no-nonsense manager style of leader who needs good assistants.

7. No future Head Coach who has a lot going is going to want to be stuck with the old Calgary play book, the old Calgary defense, stuck with Dorazio and McMann, and having Wally making roster decisions and coaching decisions. The only way that happens is that the candidate is desperate for the job. Khari Jones was stuck with the old playbook but his inability to at least utilize the best plays out of the playbook or make adjustments in formation or motion for a whole season shows that he is not up for the job and Jones is also a spread devotee.

8. I wouldn`t discount the possibility that Buono may have to coach for a season if we can`t get a good candidate but Buono wants his legacy as going out winning a Grey Cup to be intact. Its also important to remember that for 3 seasons before we won the Grey Cup, we were a sliding football team.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the detailed review, Blitz.

Wally's fans won't like it. But all one has to do is look at the shambles we find ourselves in. (And some might think we are not in a shambles.)

No QB. No Head Coach. Pounded 50-17 in the playoff game. No playoff wins in three years. Free agents turning us down. Coaches turning us down. Massive turnover in the staff coming. No massive turnover? That would be even worse.

And some might say it is the talent and attitude of the players that has been the problem. I do not see it that way, but even if it was true, I would ask: Who brought these players in? Who has coached them into their present state?

In discussing the dismissal of Mike Benevides, Wally mentioned how difficult it is to follow a legend, speaking of himself. And Wally said he was called a legend even at the time he was in Calgary. Hmmmm ... Well, Wally does have a legendary record. But I agree with Blitz that one could make a case that Wally is no Xs and Os genius. He is no great game day manager. He believes in conservative schemes, very, very light on tactics and strategy, instead relying on top level execution by the players.

In his long career, Wally has only hired one Head Coach. And, with that huge responsibility, he chose a protégé, one with a shockingly thin resume, but a protégé that allowed Wally to keep his philosophy of coaching in place.

So here we are, on the outside looking in.

We are shopping for a Head Coach. Hope we find a bright new star, or a steady, strong enduring star.

It is going to take some good karma to land a Head Coach with the credentials to do it his way. And this is especially true in view of the heavy hand of Wally Buono in the direction the team takes. Wally on the rooftop. Wally on the tower. Wally feels he is helping with the heavy oversight. Not in my view ... That should go into the contract of the next Head Coach. GM to not watch practice from On High.

Too tough on Wally? When he came to B.C. we became the flagship of the league for a few years. And we missed a number of chances to win more Cups. And it seems to some of us that we backslid after the 2006 Cup win. And we backslid after the 2011 Cup win. The 2011 Cup win in itself was like a miracle after a horrendous start to the season. We had a strong cast and crew in 2011, but it seems to me the extraordinary leadership of Travis Lulay, with much support, led us to that title.

Too tough? Well, we've just had a train wreck, or so it seems to some of us. And this was set in motion in the coaching changeover starting in 2012.

So although Wally wears a strong shield of Teflon, deservedly so, IMO his tendency to stay with what worked for years, long past being state of the art, has knocked our franchise way down the standings.

Can we recover quickly? Well ... As noted, I think we need some good karma.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: I wouldn`t discount the possibility that Buono may have to coach for a season if we can`t get a good candidate but Buono wants his legacy as going out winning a Grey Cup to be intact. Its also important to remember that for 3 seasons before we won the Grey Cup, we were a sliding football team.
He has discounted any possibility of his returning to the sidelines.
dupsdell1
Champion

Buono is not going back to coaching , People not going to happen