Post Mortem on the Season, Als 50 - Leos 17

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Game Day Blog ...

Are we ready? We will know very soon.

Not many teams have finished third and gone on to win the Grey Cup, says Cuthbert.

Benny is barking out instructions to Kato. Benny in his Belichik hoodie look. Hey, I'm a casual guy. Fashion statement hoodie.

Higgins has a little note pad. Looks very calm and composed.

Q1

BC ...

Tim Brown back to receive, with Iannuzzi.

2 to 85. 10 for 1st. 10 for 9. SL for 1st. Nice start. SL for 7. Pound the rock. Big hogs moving them out. TB for 1st. TB for 1. Blitz gets KG. Hmmmm Been there, done that. PMc shanks it for 17. Been there. Good drive, no points. Still very, very vulnerable to the blitz. D'oh ...

Mtl ...

Jabar stuffs run for loss. Drop but BC offside. Bazzie. We have seen this before. Overthrow. 2 out.

BC ...

Some good, some bad so far.

KG overthrow. SL stopped short on pass. Gonna be a defensive domination game? 2 out.

Mtl ...

Flag. Benny chearleading.

Sweep for 9. Flag for horse collar on Parks. Cheap call looks like. Rutley good run for 9. 1st. Rutley for 4. Incomplete. Hey, JRL makes a play. Attaway, JR. Single point, rouge.

BC ...

SL for 7. KG "best insurance policy in the business." With Calgary, Yes. Gore for the 1st. Incomplete. Pressure D. KG might have rushed it. Overthrow by KG. Short punt by PMc.

Mtl ...

Cromton takes a big hit. Solo and Bazzie. Marsh big run. Special play vs the Lions' tendencies. Solo tip, but complete. Carter should have had that bomb. Parks avoided the PI.

BC ...

KG underthrown. He looks a big gunshy.

End of Q1 ... Mtl 1-0 Defensive battle
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q2

BC ...

KG Int.

Mtl ...

Int by Parks. Nice pressure by Williams.

Low scoring. Lots of mistakes. Looks like an even match.

BC ...

SL for 4. SL drop. Good pressure on KG. We don't look all that ready for the pressure.

Mtl ...

Good return, but penalty. Green for 1st. Rainey for 7. Run stuffed by Taylor. Crompton limping a bit.

BC ...

Neither team going anywhere. Neither looks ready to challenge Hamilton IMO.

7 man O Line, SL for 2. Mtl ready for that run. Pressure once again by Mtl. Talk about not using pressure would seem to be baloney. 2 out. Another poor punt by PMc. Mtl winning the field position game.

Mtl ...

Crompton for 2. Solo stops a big play. Rutley nice catch and run. Kristian Matte one of the many, many Nat O Linemen developed by the Montreal O Line staff. Green for 7. Green for the 1st. Pass for 2. Int by Biggie. Penalty. PI? Parks again. Down to the 10. Not liking the call. Benny fighting with his headset once again. I am OK with review processas a policy. Green TD. Alouettes ready to play.

Our Lions were ready mentally and physically. But we had insufficient offensive game planning, it seems to me. Still not ready for Montreal pass rush pressure. And we get little pressure on Crompton, except for the good blitz by Williams. 8-0 Montreal.

BC ...

Roll out. Penalty. Travis Partridge in. Keeper. Hard hit. Hey, we had a designed play based on tendencies. Whoo Hooo ... KG overthrow. Jackson for 21. TB for 12. We show some life. TB pass incomplete. Mtl not fooled. But it coulda bin. With a precise throw, it could have been. Pressure. Not ready. LOL So much for Mtl blowing smoke about not blitzing. PMc FG. 8-3 Mtl.

Are we liking what we see? Not especially. We still look kind of sloppy.

Mtl ...

Suitor wonders if BC will blitz more. Hmmmm ... I doubt it. Crompton is very calm. Nice run by Rutley. Very well blocked. Another strong run, well blocked. O Line at the second level of D. Green for 1st. Incomplete, throw away. Suitor asks if the Lions will pressure. Ummm ... No. Solo great play. 21 terrible penalty. Overthrow. 1:15 left. Mtl TD, Carter. 15-3. Surprised? Nah ...

Which team had better preparation? Crompton is very calm. Benny rags on Phillips. Pointless posturing. The horses are already out of the barn.

BC ...

Penalty on the return. Been there. 2 out. Near pick. KG not sharp, to put it mildly. 42" left in the half. Mtl in BC territory.

Mtl ...

Rutley for 7. 2 out.

BC ...

Cuthbert: "Not much has worked in the first half." LOL SL for 7. Our coaches will sneak into the locker room.

Schultz and Dunigan not liking the call on Phillips. Tend to agree. But RP should have walked away.

41 yards passing for Glenn.

Starting this thread early.

Do I feel pumped to blog the second half? No. But I will do it anyway.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

cromartie
Hall of Famer

Handy tip if you're thinking of changing the doors out on your house, be sure to measure the bathroom doors separately from your bedroom ones. They tend to run a bit more narrow. Learned that the hard way.

A good day to remodel the house, from the sounds/looks of it.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q3

Mtl ...

Green. Deslaurier. Rutley. Nice drive by Mtl. Rutley. OLine into level 2 on Solo. Rutley to the 3. Pathetic coaching effort by the Lions. Are the Lions mailing it in this quarter.

22-3 Mtl.

All Canadian O Line for the Alouettes.

BC ...

Jackson for 1st. SL for 7.

Mtl ...

Jet sweep. Rutley. Green to the 5. TD for Rutley. It's a rout.

Montreal 30-3 over the Lions.

(Calling Wally Buono. How do you like your decision now?)

All Canadian O Line for the Als.

BC ...

Penalty. Benny looking for someone to shout at.

Penalty. Lions all offside. That's it, Benny. No one else to talk to ... Talk to good old Joe PaoPao.

Shambles.

Penalty. Partridge thrown to the wolves.

Cuthbert and Suitor trying to find good things to say.

Iannuzzi muffs the quck kick attempt. LOL Oh my God.

Penalty.

Montreal ball. LOL

Benny ... Benny ...

Mtl ...

Marsh down at the 1. Marsh TD.

Anybody want to play QB for the Lions?

Montreal 36 - Lions 3

A pasting ...

Bye Bye, Benny ... Good Bye

Ummm ... Is Benny in over his head?

Did the Lions prepare Travis Partridge this year? Doesn't look like it. Heavy hit on Partridge. Alouettes penalized. Dumb hit. Hebert has been there before. The Als showing no mercy.

Benny looks to be in shock.

End of Q3 ... 36-3 Montreal over the Lions

Rammer
Team Captain

What a comeback this would be....Benevides is setting me up. :rotf:
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q4

Dear Lord, make this quarter go fast, Please.

BC ...

Penalty.

Penalty.

Benny, Benny. Benny wanted this job. Wally went for it. Benny just did not have top level credentials. Huge mistake. Some of us have been harping on it for quite a while. JC's credentials were better by miles, but he was a very convenient scapegoat. Stubler's credentials were better by miles. Benny played it right, and got the job.

Talent. Good IMO.

Coaching. Worse than amateurish.

Thousands of high school coaches throughout North America with better credentials. That is how Don Matthews got his start.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Montreal 50 - BC 3

Surprised? No.

I had not given up, but I could not bring myself to make a prediction on David's thread.

What will Benny and Wally say to the media?

Mercy rule? No mercy rule, Sorry.

Total humiliation for the Lions' franchise. It's on Wally. He promoted Benny. Then he extended him. Is Wally even thinking of status quo next year?

Higgins making some notes on his little notepad. Very calm.

Thanks to all of our very knowledgeable, passionate posters. Have a good off season.

PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

The absolute worst Lions game I have ever seen...bar none :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Tough game to watch. Nice to see Tim Brown (with the support of his blockers) have a solid day. Gotta think he'll just be given the chance he deserved this season, next season....
jwbavalon
Rookie

The fat lady has sung, Elvis has left the building.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

jwbavalon wrote:The fat lady has sung, Elvis has left the building.
She left the building at least eight weeks ago. Her shadow takes a while to clear out, however.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

:puke: The 50-17 score actually flatters the Lions. :puke:

I'm glad there are no stats as I couldn't stomach them. :puke: :puke:
Dusty
Champion

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.......
dat
Rookie

Wow. What can you say after that gem ? I've been watching the Lions for the last 45 years and that's' probably the worst game I've ever seen. Last year Stubler and Chapdelaine took the blame for the playoff exit and the HC escaped blame. At least they were in the games last year. It's one thing to lose but another thing to get blown out and embarrassed. The Lions coaching staff basically gave up in the third quarter when they put Partridge in. The buck has to stop somewhere and this team was completely unprepared to play the last three weeks. Penalties, poor execution on both sides of the ball. The only guy that came to play was Tim Brown and a few plays from Logan. The game wasn't out of hand at halftime but then again the other team makes better adjustments and the Lions get blown out in the third quarter. In the last 3 years the Lions have gone from 13 to 11 to 9 wins this year. If the Lions hadn't had 2 games against Ottawa they probably would have been under . 500. And this is a year where we're hosting the Grey Cup. Today the Lions looked like a high school team and the HC has to take some of the blame. It's his team and there weren't many guys that looked like they could or wanted to play today.

DAT
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wally has a lot of tough decisions to make prior to his going to Hawaii