Lions @ Alouettes. Game Day Thread. Eastern Semi-Final

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

ziggy wrote:
Rammer wrote:Okay, Jones is gone, but why isn't Benevides shown the door as well. This is a crappy coached team, with too much talent to waste.

How can Glenn look like a starting rookie in his first game? No desire to watch this all over for 2015.
Where's the talent Rammer? Not on Offence! Open receivers are either overthrown or drop the ball. You can claim it's coaching but if the Receivers are open, I'd argue it's the players. There appears to be a fixation on blaming the coaching which admittedly is deserved, but to overlook the fact we have poor quarterbacking and inconsistent receiving, not to mention stupid selfish penalty taking, in my opinion gives an undeserved pass to our personnel.
Unfortunately the talent isn't in the most important position, QB. The penalties are nothing new, that has to be weeded out during the season by the HC, that is unacceptable down the stretch run, let alone in a playoff game. Lions receiver ability took a huge hit when Taylor went down.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Fred.Fonce wrote:First timer here. I just couldn't lurk anymore!

Phillips shouldn't have done what he did but that penalty was a joke. No way that should have been called, particularly in a playoff game. But, a team is a reflection of its head coach. When the coach jumps up and down on the sidelines yelling at the refs, what can we expect?

A MB coached team is so frustrating to watch...undisciplined, poorly prepared, poor in-game adjustments. Glenn is a decent QB when protected and terrible when rattled. That's been the book on him his entire CFL career. Can't he throw on the run at all? They don't appear to work to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

i hope I am surprised, and they come out much better in the second half.
Great post.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Fred.Fonce wrote:First timer here. I just couldn't lurk anymore!

Phillips shouldn't have done what he did but that penalty was a joke. No way that should have been called, particularly in a playoff game. But, a team is a reflection of its head coach. When the coach jumps up and down on the sidelines yelling at the refs, what can we expect?

A MB coached team is so frustrating to watch...undisciplined, poorly prepared, poor in-game adjustments. Glenn is a decent QB when protected and terrible when rattled. That's been the book on him his entire CFL career. Can't he throw on the run at all? They don't appear to work to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

i hope I am surprised, and they come out much better in the second half.
Great post.

Welcome aboard.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Were they fighting each other on the way to the dressing room?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

30 minutes left in the season
ziggy
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:I would agree that it isn't all coaching but the stupid and selfish penalty taking goes right to coaching IMO. This has been an issue all year. Wally would either bench or cut guys who continually hurt their team that way but Benevides seems to have done absolutely nothing about it. He is more than evident when something good happens but when a player screws up, he generally just stands around.
I think a lot of the penalties are also a result of being beat. Phillips is a veteran, he should know enough to walk away!
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Were they fighting each other on the way to the dressing room?
Sounds like it, hope Benevides doesn't get in the middle of it....
Entertainment value = an all time low
agent2
All Star

Benevides must make a qb change in the second half or he will be facing questions all off season about his desire to stick with Glenn, regardless of the game's outcome. His job may depend on it.
prj
Starter

Nothing separates the CFL from the NFL more than the level of officiating. It's a mind set thing, I suspect, where the CFL guys really believe there are 3 teams on the field, all looking to make an impact. It's not like that in the NFL! The call on RP was a classic, even by the standards set by Paul Dojack. It was as unprofessional a situation as I have seen in following this team since 1954. (And I've seen some doozies!)

The solution? How about hiring a NFL official to come and run the CFL officiating office? We hire our talent guys from the US ...
SammyGreene
Team Captain

4 defenders around Green and still a 1st down catch.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Another major
SammyGreene
Team Captain

And Als marching to put the nails in the coffin.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions needed a defensive stop on this drive and instead they rolled over.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

From a post last week

"The X factors. - undisciplined penalties of the major or after the play is over variety. It is about time, players realize that can't go around taking objectionable conduct calls (listening Rolly), facemasks and so on are just not going to mean anything but abject failure. "

I had no idea just how true those words would be.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

The talent is here in BC, including on the offence...take away any consistent success for 18 weeks and this is what you get...any athletic activity, right down to riding a bike, comes from experience and KNOWING. The Lion's don't know how to win, how to adjust or how to make plays...it takes confidence to achieve and without it, it can make ALL PRO players look ordinary and competent pros (Glenn) look like amateurs! This is COACHING plain and simple. It is their job to put players into positions to SUCCEED and give their team every possible chance for success...ours don't do this...even on defence.

Where is the intensity and awareness from Washington? Our offence needs a turnover, not another relatively 4 minute drive from the MTL! Washington just sits back and lets this youngster slowly get his feel for the game and slowly he is making plays, instead of TURNING THE BALL OVER, which is what he would be doing UNDER PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!!

And I guarantee to everyone here that with a new OL coach next season and a proper Offensive system, our OLINE personnel will suddenly look like the best in the CFL! Or are you trying to tell me that Olafoye is a bum? That Hardrick is hopeless? Or that we don't have any CDN talent on the line? BULL! They need coaching and some help! Just look at Jones in EDM...same bunch of underachievers playing like OLINE all stars!!!!

One word...COACHING!!!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein