Solomon Elimimian wins both MOP and Defensive MOP

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

LionsLip
Rookie

Awesome!!! :yahoo: .......... now if we can get some of the others to follow his lead or show them the door!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Elimimian press conference

http://bclions.com/video/index/id/107193
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well this puts a small upturn to a season that was marked by frustration, underwhelming team performances and an ignominious exit from the playoffs. Good for Sol. I'm sure he would have much rather been in the big game than win these awards but it is nice tribute nonetheless. I honestly didn't think they would give him both but they surprised me and did just that. I guess when you break a league record by the margin he did, anything is possible. I was very impressed by his acceptance speech crediting players like Brent Johnson and Cameron Wake. A very classy guy who appears to very humble as well. I can think of 8 other teams that would love to have him on their squad. We are very lucky.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

A very nice spot in an otherwise tire fire of a season. And yet it makes you wonder how Cameron Wake was overlooked, you know?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I think most people here know that I have always been Sol's #1 fan, from the first day he came here...not only because of his heart and great effort, but because of his FEROCITY. His massive hitting strikes FEAR into the opponents and forces Defences to play on their heals and not their toes...when we were struggling mightily through 2010/11, trying to find our identity on a young football team, it was Elimimian's play that held this team together through a lot of dark, dark times with NO OFFENCE! When we were losing all those games at Empire, as BAD as our Offence was, we were still in most games until late...CGY in particular hated to play us because Sol delighted in destroying their players...

For a long now, he's been the BEST BC LION, and for me I didn't need to see these awards last night to KNOW IT! Wally has UNDER valued and appreciated Sol and risked losing him through his difficult return from the NFL and the injuries he sustained. I criticized Wally a lot for this, because all we needed was some better DT play to keep the LBs OFF OF Sol and Biggie so that they could roam free like heat seeking missiles and destroy everything in their path! You win championships with DEFENCE, and we still don't play an aggressive defence in BC under Sol. We should be overtly aggressive with our D and unleash our LBs to create HAVOC but we don't...for me watching this season was bittersweet, because as well as Sol played, he could have been used to such a greater effect! This MUST change starting next season, while we are blessed to have Sol, Biggie, JJ and Bo, we need to ATTACK! This is why I strongly feel that the game of football has passed Wally by!

Congrats Sol, the best CFL LB in a LONG TIME...well deserved my friend!!!!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: Missed his speech (actually two speeches for the two separate awards, I guess), I was going to ask if anyone here caught it. Normally you thank your coach in this situation but when the guy just got fired this can be a bit awkward. Sounds like he navigated those choppy waters safely.
What channel was it on? I was up and down the grid searching for it to no avail.
South Pender
Legend

Wonderful accomplishment for Sol; well-deserved. And, as mentioned, it does take some of the pain out of a traumatic season for Lions fans. Interesting article by Mike Beamish in the National Post yesterday (also in the Vancouver Sun) about Sol's family and their really-impressive accomplishments--certainly a lot of things I didn't know:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Missed his speech (actually two speeches for the two separate awards, I guess), I was going to ask if anyone here caught it. Normally you thank your coach in this situation but when the guy just got fired this can be a bit awkward. Sounds like he navigated those choppy waters safely.
What channel was it on? I was up and down the grid searching for it to no avail.
Huh, I just assumed it was on TSN without actually having looked for it — I rarely watch award shows of any type anyway. I think the last time I caught the CFL awards on tv might have been when Printers was MOP.

So it really wasn't broadcast anywhere? Surprised to hear it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Missed his speech (actually two speeches for the two separate awards, I guess), I was going to ask if anyone here caught it. Normally you thank your coach in this situation but when the guy just got fired this can be a bit awkward. Sounds like he navigated those choppy waters safely.
Huh, I just assumed it was on TSN without actually having looked for it — I rarely watch award shows of any type anyway. I think the last time I caught the CFL awards on tv might have been when Printers was MOP.

So it really wasn't broadcast anywhere? Surprised to hear it.
I saw it on a news highlight reel in the internet. I had failed to find it live on TV.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
almo89
Legend

Just saw the speech. It was very classy. Solly got his teammates to come on the stage as well. Very nice tough. Well deserved Solly
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Wonderful accomplishment for Sol; well-deserved. And, as mentioned, it does take some of the pain out of a traumatic season for Lions fans. Interesting article by Mike Beamish in the National Post yesterday (also in the Vancouver Sun) about Sol's family and their really-impressive accomplishments--certainly a lot of things I didn't know:

Good article. Didn't realize SolE's brother is coaching on Burnaby Mountain
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
South Pender wrote:Wonderful accomplishment for Sol; well-deserved. And, as mentioned, it does take some of the pain out of a traumatic season for Lions fans. Interesting article by Mike Beamish in the National Post yesterday (also in the Vancouver Sun) about Sol's family and their really-impressive accomplishments--certainly a lot of things I didn't know:

That was a good story.

I would have bet against winning both as small politics suggests that it is better to spread the love around.

But this season has been zany anyway.

Cohon is going out looking good in many eyes but if I were a player it wouldn't be fast enough for this guy's personal involvement in giving the players the boot kicking they got in labour negotiations. Not only did the CFL win big time they sent a message that only the Mafia in their glory days could have sent as strongly and it was basically 'boys, don't @#$% with us ' or 'we'll crush you again.'

I am not a Cohon fan for that reason alone but I also think the CFL has lost the plot under his leadership here and the season reflects this.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

That was a good story.

I would have bet against winning both as small politics suggests that it is better to spread the love around.

But this season has been zany anyway.

Cohon is going out looking good in many eyes but if I were a player it wouldn't be fast enough for this guy's personal involvement in giving the players the boot kicking they got in labour negotiations. Not only did the CFL win big time they sent a message that only the Mafia in their glory days could have sent as strongly and it was basically 'boys, don't @#$% with us ' or 'we'll crush you again.'

I am not a Cohon fan for that reason alone but I also think the CFL has lost the plot under his leadership here and the season reflects this.
Comparing the CFL management and how it treats its players to the Mafia in their glory days...a bit over the top don't you think?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Good thing we didn't trade him straight up for Kevin Glenn, eh? (And where did the guy that posted that go, anyway?)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Good thing we didn't trade him straight up for Kevin Glenn, eh? (And where did the guy that posted that go, anyway?)

Maybe it was Sol using a psuedonym :shock:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.