Leos/Als Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The weather is more than a little 'crisp' here in B.C. as our Leos prepare for the East Semi-Final in Montreal. If they don`t win this will be our last `Keys to the Game`for the 2014 season.

The experience of cold weather this week is likely a good thing for our Leos. The weather for the game is predicted to be cloudy with a 60 percent chance of snow flurries or rain showerswith a low of minus 4 and a high plus 4.

Its playoff football weather. November separates the men from the boys. Our B.C. Lions have a great chance to win both their Eastern playoff games and still play in the Big Dance in Vancouver. It`s not as if Montreal or Hamilton are power houses.

Of course, there are mutliple factors to winning a football game. There is the game in the trenches, turnovers, the running game, penalties, special teams, etc. In my view there is only one key to winning this game. I look forward to reading yours.

KEYS TO THE GAME.

There is one KEY to winning this game. It`s not offensive line play or defensive line play, pass defence, running the football effectively, shutting down the run, defense, turnovers or special teams.

The key to winning this game is attacking and defeating the Montreal blitz. Montreal will bring heat and lots of it. It will come from a lot of directions and with different players. It will be pressure football, do or die, hang it all out on the line.

Our Leos have struggled against blitzing teams this year. On top of that, the key statistic for this regular season, is that our offence failed to score points. In fact we scored the least amount of points in the last 26years.

To beat the Montreal bliitz we need to go double tights or single tights and use Lumbala as well as Logan. We need to pass out of maximum protection. We need to be able to screen and check down and get the football off, if the pressure arrives too quickly. We need to attack deep. And we need to hit the holes with quick hitters in the running attack and with a seam Logan can run the football a long way against a blitzing defence.

If we can`t do those things and we are not prepared strategically for a blitzing defense it could be a long day. Pressure kills, sacks can me morale destroying. But blitzing teams can also be destroyed. They give up a lot to get that pressure and to play that style.

This will be a game of strategy and in particular, Montreal`s defensive strategy vs. our offensive strategy.

Our defense will play well enough, if they are not on the field all day, to give us the opportunity to win this game.

The key is to attack the Montreal defense, to burn it early, if possible, and often.

Go Leos go!! :beauty: :beer:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The one key you mention is huge, Blitz.

Gotta luv a DC that brings the house. All In. Showdown. In your face. Here we come. Matthews set that culture in Montreal years ago, and it endures.

Will we be ready for the pressure? Who knows? Rarely been ready in the last few years. Just as we have been reluctant to blitz, so have we been unable to attack a blitz.

Cold weather? Good. CFL football at its finest.

No prediction here. No call. Gonna enjoy the game though.

Rather important for Benny's future, methinks. Do fans feel he has been good enough in his three years? Do fans think he can raise the level? All that is on the line here is the future of the franchise.

Go Lions.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz you went all positive on me...anyways if it is your last "keys" to the game for the season, let me be first to say thank you for informing and entertaining us all season, yourself and Joe made this year barely acceptable by your great thoughts!

As for the game, the Lions for a decade now have not shown that they can defend the blitz...MTL is hot and their young QB can make plays with his legs...it may very well come down to S Ts and neither team has excelled there...if the Lions D can generate turnovers, we can win this game, if not, I see us getting blown out with lots of injuries along the way...we will see what happens.

Again, thank you so much for all your time, effort, hard work and unique genius for this and all Lion seasons...

MLF
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well its probably just confirmation of your KEY to the game BLitz but IMO, turnovers are a big deal. IIRC, (and it was probably due to a blitz) the Al's scored early/often on the Lions their one trip to Montreal already this season. If the Lions can avoid that OR EVEN have the AL's dig themselves a hole (ala a swing pass lateral that ends up in their endzone with a BC player ontop of the ball) who knows....

That Al's game early this season was very frustrating. Our offence dug the team a hole, IMO, and we spent the rest of the game scratching at the walls just bringing in more DIRT on top of us. Hope this game is different.... :cr:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Blitz you went all positive on me...anyways if it is your last "keys" to the game for the season, let me be first to say thank you for informing and entertaining us all season, yourself and Joe made this year barely acceptable by your great thoughts!

MLF
You're welcome, MLF. I always look forward to your comments. Telling it like you see it, and you see it very well IMO, with an ex-player's perspective.

And Thank You, Blitz, MLF, and all of our very knowledgeable, very passionate bloggers. Win or lose, reading the comments helps us to deal with each game, for the team we love.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree with Blitz; neutralize the Alouette blitz will be the key. From what I've seen of the Lions in 18 games, I'm not overly optimistic that the Lions is capable of making the Alouettes pay. What will probably happen is Kevin Glenn trying to throw a quick pass to one of the running backs but Montreal will be covering him tight and pick off the pass.
South Pender
Legend

Right on, Blitz; great analysis as always. It has really surprised me that the Lions have had such trouble with blitzing defenses. They don't seem to have developed hot reads as one bail-out in the face of a fierce blitz. Attacking defenses--particularly those that attack a lot with blitzing LBs or safeties--can be burned badly by teams in which receivers and backs (along with the QB) can recognize that a blitz is coming and quickly drop into empty spots in the D. No one gets away with blitzing Peyton Manning because he and his receivers and outlet guys react quickly to the blitz and make the blitzing defense pay and pay dearly. And it doesn't take a QB of Manning's skill to counter a blitz--just an offense trained to recognize it when it happens and react quickly to neutralize it. I guess it gets back to offensive coaching, but it doesn't seem that hard to have read-and-react plays in the offensive repertoire, and with a quick-release QB like Kevin Glenn, we should be able to make blitzing teams pay. I guess we'll see whether they're up to the challenge on Sunday.
LionsLip
Rookie

Lets show lots of intensity and attack! Play disciplined football and eliminate the needless penalties! :beauty:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great breakdown as always Blitz! Thanks again.

Sure would like to see Tim Brown in the line-up. Given our struggles offensively and his game breaking ability the Leos need to be firing on all cylinders on special teams. Of course, how the Lions utilize the ratio is going to play a big part in the decision. I think last week they sat an import receiver (Tuinei) for an extra d lineman (Lohr). But Logan and Brown returning kicks in a sudden death playoff game would be impressive.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Great breakdown as always Blitz! Thanks again.

Sure would like to see Tim Brown in the line-up. Given our struggles offensively and his game breaking ability the Leos need to be firing on all cylinders on special teams. Of course, how the Lions utilize the ratio is going to play a big part in the decision. I think last week they sat an import receiver (Tuinei) for an extra d lineman (Lohr). But Logan and Brown returning kicks in a sudden death playoff game would be impressive.
So you don't want Iasnnuzzi returning punts/kicks? :)

The concerns that I have going into this game is the Lions know little of Crampton, a newbie QB to the Lions D always seems to perplex them. Secondly, since the Lions handled the Als in their last meeting, the Lions OC/DC are likely to go back to that drawing board and use it as our game plan. If I am Montreal, I am adapting to that game plan and bringing change, Lions likely will not bring anything new to the table. The mindset is if they execute they should be able to win once again. Not that they won't even playing those same schemes, but it just concerns me going into a winner take all contest.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:Right on, Blitz; great analysis as always. It has really surprised me that the Lions have had such trouble with blitzing defenses. They don't seem to have developed hot reads as one bail-out in the face of a fierce blitz. Attacking defenses--particularly those that attack a lot with blitzing LBs or safeties--can be burned badly by teams in which receivers and backs (along with the QB) can recognize that a blitz is coming and quickly drop into empty spots in the D. No one gets away with blitzing Peyton Manning because he and his receivers and outlet guys react quickly to the blitz and make the blitzing defense pay and pay dearly. And it doesn't take a QB of Manning's skill to counter a blitz--just an offense trained to recognize it when it happens and react quickly to neutralize it. I guess it gets back to offensive coaching, but it doesn't seem that hard to have read-and-react plays in the offensive repertoire, and with a quick-release QB like Kevin Glenn, we should be able to make blitzing teams pay. I guess we'll see whether they're up to the challenge on Sunday.
It really surprises me too South Pender that our Leos have such trouble with blitzing defenses. Few hot reads, poor receiver adjustments, inability to pick up inside stunts (you block a blitz insider out), too much spread offence and not enough max protection in the past (and release the tight ends on occasion and throw to them), screens are so very rare, few hitch screens and poorly executed, no motion swing or screen passes and the list goes on.

You make a very good point that with Kevin Glenn as a quick release passer, its a strenght and we really should be able to attack blitzing defenses from the quarterback position. We have strong, good sized receivers with speed. We have 3 Internationals on the offensive line. Lumbala is a very good blocker who can also release. Logan is deadly in space with the ability to cut back. There should be no excuses.

But as Rammer noted, we'll likley just go out there and execute the same old offence as we have all season with few adjustments. I sure hope I'm surprised.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

South Pender wrote:Right on, Blitz; great analysis as always. It has really surprised me that the Lions have had such trouble with blitzing defenses. They don't seem to have developed hot reads as one bail-out in the face of a fierce blitz. Attacking defenses--particularly those that attack a lot with blitzing LBs or safeties--can be burned badly by teams in which receivers and backs (along with the QB) can recognize that a blitz is coming and quickly drop into empty spots in the D. No one gets away with blitzing Peyton Manning because he and his receivers and outlet guys react quickly to the blitz and make the blitzing defense pay and pay dearly. And it doesn't take a QB of Manning's skill to counter a blitz--just an offense trained to recognize it when it happens and react quickly to neutralize it. I guess it gets back to offensive coaching, but it doesn't seem that hard to have read-and-react plays in the offensive repertoire, and with a quick-release QB like Kevin Glenn, we should be able to make blitzing teams pay. I guess we'll see whether they're up to the challenge on Sunday.
Great post SP...I have been trying to say this for 3 years here...the thing that's weird is that we have had QBs and OCs with the skills and brains to know all of this, and really make teams pay, BUT WE DON'T. Is this Wally? Has Wally coached his coaches into running their system no matter what and a defy teams to stop you??? And that its all based on execution??? I mean that's what we heard from JC for YEARS as he defended continuing to run his systems against all out blitzes, and he's a very smart guy...

Whatever it is, it is NOT hard to make blitzing defences pay...as SP said, it doesn't take a HOF QB, just an offence ON THE SAME PAGE...one hot audible (let's say RED for hot so Red 86) would mean slot receivers hook...where they are simply looking for an empty space 5 yards off the LOS to sit down in...not rocket science...and if the safety rushes up to make the tackle and misses, it can turn into a huge gain. Or like Blitz said, run motion out of the backfield, say Logan...SOMEONE HAS TO GO WITH HIM as there is no left to account for an extra receiver...this causes confusion...and if you get a LB in a trailing position to Logan, that could be 6 points...I just don't get how this TEAM (which includes all of our coordinators past and present) REFUSES to make adjustments, and thus invites the opposition to attack us the same way again and again and again. When JC was forced to make short-lived adjustments, teams didn't react very well...go figure...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
swervynmerv
Legend

At this point in the season, like the majority of Lion fans, I will just sit back on the couch and cheer my team on. There are lots of negatives and things I could rant on but I'm going to wait til the end of the season to comment on the season fully once we are done.

It is possible that if things go well, the Lions could well end up in the Grey Cup representing the east and that would make the Grey Cup more enjoyable to watch. Do I think the Lions will win both playoff games and represent the East? My heart says yes and they do have a better chance than they did the last time they went East.

Either way, it's a win-win. The Lions turn it around and make it to the GC at home or they lose out and the dissection of the team will begin. Either way, I look forward to one of those threads!

Enjoy the playoffs to all the Lionbackers out there and as always "Go Lions Go"!!!! :cheer:
dupsdell1
Champion

swervynmerv wrote:At this point in the season, like the majority of Lion fans, I will just sit back on the couch and cheer my team on. There are lots of negatives and things I could rant on but I'm going to wait til the end of the season to comment on the season fully once we are done.

It is possible that if things go well, the Lions could well end up in the Grey Cup representing the east and that would make the Grey Cup more enjoyable to watch. Do I think the Lions will win both playoff games and represent the East? My heart says yes and they do have a better chance than they did the last time they went East.

Either way, it's a win-win. The Lions turn it around and make it to the GC at home or they lose out and the dissection of the team will begin. Either way, I look forward to one of those threads!

Enjoy the playoffs to all the Lionbackers out there and as always "Go Lions Go"!!!! :cheer:

Yes if the lions get to the Cup would be taking part in History were the no crossover team has ever got to the cup , in fact I think a lot of people would look at it as the grey cup Lions vs ? Not the eastern team Bc Lions .
Dusty
Champion

LU was just on 1040 and said that John Beck did not pass the concussion protocol this week (which explains Kevin G staying in last game), so it looks line our QB's will be Kevin Glenn, Travis1 and Travis2.

Picking up the blitz from the outside by Lumbala is certainly a major key, but giving the QB some protection from stunts over the middle will also be important. I think our QB's will also need to use their feet and be (more) prepared to throw to the wide side.

On Defense, we have been burned by having an offensive lineman release from blocking our 4 man front and putting blocks on SolE or Bighill which stops them from moving sideline to sideline. In the past, this has allowed their running back to turn the corner as the receivers only have to block out one of our LB's.

Go Lions Go!!!