Leos/Als Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
On Defense, we have been burned by having an offensive lineman release from blocking our 4 man front and putting blocks on SolE or Bighill which stops them from moving sideline to sideline. In the past, this has allowed their running back to turn the corner as the receivers only have to block out one of our LB's.

Go Lions Go!!!
I think this is a great point. And to have an O Lineman get into the second level to block Solo or Biggie, IMO, takes detailed game preparation. Teams do this against us. That is the ballgame these days. Generic, execution-focussed game plans do not cut it.

Detailed game prep as in scouting Solo's tendencies within Washington's schemes. We see how teams are ready when Solo blitzes. Ouch.

Detailed game prep, in terms of being ready if Solo is in a certain location, with certain responsibilities, and the O Line flexible in its assignments. It does not just happen within a generic (vanilla) game plan, which relies on "make them stop us" execution. Teams do stop our limited offensive scheme. And teams do prep against our rather predictable defence.

Our defence has put us some very good numbers. We have great personnel, IMO. Outstanding LBs. Great cover guys. The staff seems to want JRL for his hitting. In a few games this year, he did provide that. But as a cover guy, as a guy to cover the field ... not so much. Our D Line does well in a simple scheme. O Lines know what we will run. Mostly 4 guys rushing. Blitzes usually easy to read.

IMO ... Others may see weakness in our personnel.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Dusty wrote:LU was just on 1040 and said that John Beck did not pass the concussion protocol this week (which explains Kevin G staying in last game), so it looks line our QB's will be Kevin Glenn, Travis1 and Travis2.
Go Lions Go!!!
That also means new holder for FGs.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Dusty wrote:LU was just on 1040 and said that John Beck did not pass the concussion protocol this week (which explains Kevin G staying in last game), so it looks line our QB's will be Kevin Glenn, Travis1 and Travis2.
Go Lions Go!!!
Well at least we don't have to worry about the 40+ FG attempts, just the coffin corner punt up to the 35, that we hope makes it past the 20 yardline. :cr: :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As LU noted in his weekly chat and confirmed in talking to Montreal DC Noel Thorpe, the Als are not generally a blitzing team since they changed their defensive scheme in midseason. They play the same style as Mark Washington's B.C. defence. These teams are similar in all three phases of the game. The B.C. offence will have to be patient and not force the ball into coverage. For Kevin Glenn, that means no turnovers. The team that best protects the ball and converts its scoring opportunities into touchdowns instead of field goals will win. There's nothing original about that. It's just old-style football.
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:As LU noted in his weekly chat and confirmed in talking to Montreal DC Noel Thorpe, the Als are not generally a blitzing team since they changed their defensive scheme in midseason. They play the same style as Mark Washington's B.C. defence.
That's an interesting way at looking at it. My sense of it is that the Als are more aggressive in their defensive schemes (than BC) in that they "show" blitz more and try to confuse the Offense more than the BC schemes. If you "show" blitz more with 8-9 on the line, the Offense has to call the play based on that "blitz" formation read before the defense drops off into coverage. In this case, the defense is essentially "determining" the Lions offensive plays....Knowing this, it comes down to where the OC and RC think the open spots will be as the defense drops into coverage or blitzes and if the receivers can get there in time.

Go Lions Go!
Dusty
Champion

[quote="Dusty"]....Knowing this, it comes down to where the OC and RC think the open spots will be as the defense drops into coverage or blitzes and if the receivers can get there in time. [quote]

... my point of course is that the OC and QB / Receivers should have 4-6 plays in their arsenal to call when faced with an apparent blitz that covers the possibility that the LB and DB's are either dropping back into coverage or blitzing.....The QB and Receiver read is to go to the spot that is left by the blitzing player.....Do they plan ahead for these plays???

Go Lions Go!
Blitz
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Dusty wrote:....Knowing this, it comes down to where the OC and RC think the open spots will be as the defense drops into coverage or blitzes and if the receivers can get there in time.

... my point of course is that the OC and QB / Receivers should have 4-6 plays in their arsenal to call when faced with an apparent blitz that covers the possibility that the LB and DB's are either dropping back into coverage or blitzing.....The QB and Receiver read is to go to the spot that is left by the blitzing player.....Do they plan ahead for these plays???

Go Lions Go!
The best way to attack a blitz is to throw in the face of it and not away from it.

With regard to Montreal changing its defense in the second half of the season (eg: showing blitz and then coming out of it) I'm anticipating we'll see that on Sunday. However, I'm also guessing we'll see more blitzing by Montreal than usual because the recipe to playing our Lions offence is to bltiz a lot. I'm also guessing we'll see Montreal run a lot of inside stunts.

Defensively, we're going with 7 defensive lineman, as well as alternating Taylor, Westerman, and Mitchell. No question that our defense, which was the strength of our team for most of this season, badly faded at the end, and there is a realization that we need to get more pressure on the opposing quarterback.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

I am happy we're bringing in reinforcements on the D-line, as it's been an issue for the last couple of games (and with Khreem Smith just coming back from a rib issue). We don't normally provide a steady diet of man-to-man, but had to last game because the D-line couldn't generate a pass rush. When we couldn't generate any pressure with our front four, we had to bring extra guys and the secondary was getting burned as a result.

Other notables:

* Our Special Teams has been a mess on so many levels this year that I am not expecting miracles; only more discipline. Stay away from silly penalties which has plagued this team, and do a better job on kick coverage (Calgary absolutely GASHED us last week - which played most of the game without Jock Sanders!). McCallum to handle ALL kicking chores tomorrow (to allow Brown on the roster). This is a concern. How is he going to handle kick-offs and punting into the wind? It's going to be cold and blustery tomorrow.

* Hands up if you knew BC was 5th out of 9 teams in Yards Per Game (353.1), only 7 yards shy of 4th place Hamilton? I'm sure most of us assume only Ottawa had a worse offense. No. Where the disconnect is however, we only scored 21 points per game (3rd last in the league). So better red zone conversion is a must (red zone INTs are a killer), and fewer drops by our wideouts.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnHenry
Champion

My concern would be Brandon Rutley (but I understand he will be backup RB today). I was impressed with him in Hamilton and suggested the Lions sign him when he was available. Tim Brown will give us the edge on returns, along with Kevin Glenn and S. Logan on offence. The Lions need to spy and pick Chip Cox, who is the lynchpin of the Als defence. Neutralize Cox and the Als are done like dinner (or breakfast as it were). :cool:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Go Lions Go!!!
... who will be Kevin Glenn, according to what I just heard from LU on the 1040 pre-game show.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:My concern would be Brandon Rutley (but I understand he will be backup RB today). I was impressed with him in Hamilton and suggested the Lions sign him when he was available. Tim Brown will give us the edge on returns, along with Kevin Glenn and S. Logan on offence. The Lions need to spy and pick Chip Cox, who is the lynchpin of the Als defence. Neutralize Cox and the Als are done like dinner (or breakfast as it were). :cool:
Cox was the anchor years ago, but not as much this season. Bear Woods seems to be the guy in Montreal that I would want to take out of the picture, with the other eye on Cox. Thinking about it though, this is a playoff game and Cox may want to elevate his game when all the chips are on the table.
Entertainment value = an all time low