Lions/Als East Semi

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The The 46-man roster and depth chart are up for the semi-final. Lulay is in at second-string QB for the injured John Beck, even though he hasn't thrown a pass with any velocity in practice. Iannuzzi is listed as starting WR ahead of Haidara. There appear to be no other changes on offence.

On defence, Mitchell and Menard are backups in a 6-man D-line rotation, with the return of regular starters of Bazzie, Taylor, Westerman and Smith. Bighill is back at linebacker with a cast on his surgically repaired hand. The regular starting secondary of Marsh, Parks, LaRose, Phillips and Yell also returns, as does Torri Williams as dime back.

Tim Brown and T.J. Lee are expected to be scratched.
David
Team Captain

That's interesting, B.C. FAN, as I am hearing Schmitt will sit while Brown returns kicks and will back up Logan at RB. Not relishing the thought of McCallum's kick-offs into wind bouncing down to like the 22-yard line with a 20-25 yard return.

We'll see....

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:That's interesting, B.C. FAN, as I am hearing Schmitt will sit while Brown returns kicks and will back up Logan at RB. Not relishing the thought of McCallum's kick-offs into wind bouncing down to like the 22-yard line with a 20-25 yard return.

We'll see....

Brown didn't fly to Montreal with the team and admitted to Mike Beamish that he wouldn't play:
Though he took some reps at running back, wearing defensive tackle Eric Taylor’s No. 79 jersey in the relaxed session, RB/KR Tim Brown is not part of the travelling party either. Brown was named the CFL’s special teams player of the month for August with 526 combined return yards in just two games and a 75-yard touchdown return. But he has had difficulty getting on the game roster all season as the Lions manipulate the ratio because of injuries. “I was just out there giving Lo (Stefan Logan) some rest,” Brown said. “I ain’t goin’.”
Vancouver Sun article

I'd love for the Lions to pull the wool over everyone's eyes and throw some special-teams surprises at Montreal, including Brown, but I'm not expecting it.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:lI'd love for the Lions to pull the wool over everyone's eyes and throw some special-teams surprises at Montreal, including Brown, but I'm not expecting it.
Then again,there is hope. There are these tweets today from Lions' players, with a pic of Brown in an away jersey and cold-weather gear:
adekolu
1 hour ago
@tim7brown hits the locker room with a quick #punch #love what do and do what you love! #playoff #football #fever
andrewharris33
@tim7brown that boi about to go offfff!!!
David
Team Captain

Perhaps a bit of subterfuge, B.C.FAN??

Also, wasn't Brown's name on the depth chart for tomorrow?

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Perhaps a bit of subterfuge, B.C.FAN??

Also, wasn't Brown's name on the depth chart for tomorrow?
Yes, as was Schmitt's and T.J. Lee's. The Lions have until an hour before game time to declare their two scratches.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Benevides confirmed Saturday to Dan Ralph of The Canadian Press that Brown will take Schmitt's roster spot.
Benevides said running back/returner Tim Brown will be on the roster at the expense of punter Ricky Schmitt, meaning veteran Paul McCallum will handle the kicking duties.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Mike Benevides confirmed Saturday to Dan Ralph of The Canadian Press that Brown will take Schmitt's roster spot.
Benevides said running back/returner Tim Brown will be on the roster at the expense of punter Ricky Schmitt, meaning veteran Paul McCallum will handle the kicking duties.
That is a good move IMO, and it says the direction that the Lions are thinking of for next season. Of course that is dependant upon Benevides being in the pilots seat.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Mike Benevides confirmed Saturday to Dan Ralph of The Canadian Press that Brown will take Schmitt's roster spot.
That is a good move IMO, and it says the direction that the Lions are thinking of for next season. Of course that is dependant upon Benevides being in the pilots seat.
LU reporting this morning Benevides' job seems safe but not the same for Khari Jones with Wally looking to bring Jeff Garcia to BC.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Rammer wrote:
LU reporting this morning Benevides' job seems safe but not the same for Khari Jones with Wally looking to bring Jeff Garcia to BC.[/quote]

Wally is doing baby steps then, good baby steps, but baby steps none the less.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have officially scratched Schmitt, so McCallum handles all kicking duties and Brown is in as a returner and backup RB.

And in a second roster surprise, Torri Williams is also scratched, meaning T.J. Lee draws into the lineup as the extra DB. I'm not sure if this was health-related move but I like Lee's coverage skills and versatility in the secondary.