Let's start the speculation - Trestman to B.C.?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

With Marc Trestman having a tough second year with the Chicago Bears, is there any chance that he could end up in B.C. if the Bears fire him? Depending on how the Lions do in the post-season, they might be the only CFL team willing to make a head coaching change this off-season. Scott Milanovich said today that he intends on being back with the Argos next season so there is unlikely to be an opening there. Could Trestman and Buono coexist? Would Braley be willing to shell out for Trestman? Trestman could really revitalize the football market in Vancouver as Wally did over a decade ago.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Wally is not that many years from retirement so Braley could offer Trestman a GM/HC position and have Wally stay on as a part time advisor.

Of course we are assuming a lot: that Trestman and the Bears part ways and some other NFL team doesn't offer Trestman a job.

I am ever hopeful as the current coaching staff is just not getting it done.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There is indeed a Santa if that comes to pass. :cr:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Re: Wally reacts to Saturday's humiliation in Edmonton.....

Postby cromartie » 11/04/14 12:11
** Here's a wild scenario for you. Marc Trestman loses his job after the Bears slump to a 6-10 finish thanks to a broken locker room and an aging defense. How's that for a turnaround for you?
You're welcome.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

After the Bears debacle yesterday Trestman might not last the season...the question is does he want to stay in the NFL as an Asst or a HC in College? When Trestman comes available if Wally does not make a major play for him, it will cost the Lions a ton...Wally has already passed/missed on Hufnagel, Chris Jones, Mike O'Shea, Scott Milanovich, Kent Austin, Rich Campbell, Dave Dickenson...these are the brightest minds in the CFL, we have Chest Bumper and two rookie coordinators in over their heads as they have NO SUPPORT!

Offering Trestman the HC spot with a plan for him to take over as GM in another year would make a ton of sense and it would be hard for Marc to turn down IMO. Plus, if Braley wants to sell, having Trestman as HC would make the deal go very well...he would be the Lion's best asset!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Of course I would be happy if it were to happen. But it seems to me Trestman's sticker price is too high at this point. Another NFL team, even as OC, or a HC position in an American college is more likely, if he gets fired in Chicago.

Mike Benevides might be with us for a while yet. Wally does not give up easily. Heck, if we win a game or more in the playoffs, I expect pretty much status quo here with the Lions.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Of course I would be happy if it were to happen. But it seems to me Trestman's sticker price is too high at this point. Another NFL team, even as OC, or a HC position in an American college is more likely, if he gets fired in Chicago.

Mike Benevides might be with us for a while yet. Wally does not give up easily. Heck, if we win a game or more in the playoffs, I expect pretty much status quo here with the Lions.
Exactly Joe, if he doesn't mind the US College route, he would be offered a house and a MULTI MILLION DOLLAR deal from a number of major US programs...almost any NFL team would love to have him as their OFF COORDINATOR...its not an easy sell to BC without the Lions stepping us with Coach, GM and BIG MONEY!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
dupsdell1
Champion

what happens if some fluke the lions win the cup this year , benny will stay for another 5 years OHHHHNOOO
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Of course I would be happy if it were to happen. But it seems to me Trestman's sticker price is too high at this point. Another NFL team, even as OC, or a HC position in an American college is more likely, if he gets fired in Chicago.

I will just ask Wally to take the same approach to his HC and OC as he does his football players. Benevides shows no sign of an upside, his team has performed at a lower level each season he has been in charge. It is time to change the perception with the fans, and if it was Trestman (a purrfect fit in my mind), it would likely come at the cost of Wally's GM position as well.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

The maximum a CFL team could pay a HC/GM SuperBoss like Hufnagel or Buono, is about $500k per (although I doubt Wally ever made that much). It was rumoured Trestman was making near that as Als HC (around $400k?), so there's not much room for an upgrade. He could probably make 7-figures as a NFL OC and would probably have several suitors for his services.

Another question is Trestman qualified to be a CFL GM?...negotiating contracts and in charge of player personelle, etc. He might be a inspiring coach but not everyone is cut out for management.

While Trestman might be tempted to come back to the CFL to "run his own show" (like G. Cortez who was lured from the NFL to essentially be the Superboss in Hamilton).. I'd put my money on him re-signing with Montreal.

:roar:
South Pender
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:The maximum a CFL team could pay a HC/GM SuperBoss like Hufnagel or Buono, is about $500k per (although I doubt Wally ever made that much). It was rumoured Trestman was making near that as Als HC (around $400k?), so there's not much room for an upgrade. He could probably make 7-figures as a NFL OC and would probably have several suitors for his services.

Another question is Trestman qualified to be a CFL GM?...negotiating contracts and in charge of player personelle, etc. He might be a inspiring coach but not everyone is cut out for management.

While Trestman might be tempted to come back to the CFL to "run his own show" (like G. Cortez who was lured from the NFL to essentially be the Superboss in Hamilton).. I'd put my money on him re-signing with Montreal.
Good points. In the Bears' game last night, the studio crew (either Cris Collinsworth or Al Michaels) mentioned Packers' HC Mike McCarthy`s comment about how he can`t imagine doing both jobs--HC and GM (currently Ted Thompson, who has done a great job for the Packers). It's unclear whether Trestman could do both well. I see Trestman as a bright x's and o's guy, although I`m not sure just how inspirational he is. One look at the Bears' offense the last few games might suggest that his inspirational ability may be less than great. The Bears have truly outstanding players at the skill positions: Cutler (who is loaded with passing talent despite his tendency to pout), Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery (two of the most explosive WRs in the NFL), Martellus Bennett, a huge and talented TE, Matt Forté (a fine RB and pass-catcher out of the backfield, although not a great blocker--somewhat like Andrew Harris), and a decent O-line. Yet they played last night like a third-rate offense, and against a defense that is not one of the better ones in the NFL. If we're consistent on this forum--laying most of the blame for the Lions`offensive woes at the feet of Benevides and Jones--then we should also direct blame for the Bears`inept offensive production this season at the feet of Trestman (and to a lesser extent Aaron Kromer, the OC, although Trestman seems to do much of the play-calling). So it seems a little incongruous to me that we're going gaga over Trestman at this time. I'm well aware that he did a good job in Montreal, but whether he would be a highly successful HC-GM here isn't at all crystal clear to me.

Another HC that seems to be consistently praised on this forum is Scott Milanovich. But is he that good ? He has amassed a 28-26 (winning percentage of 52%) in his three years of head coaching in Toronto, despite having the best quarterback in the CFL. It's true that he played at a high level himself (whereas Benevides didn't, and that might have eroded his credibility with the players), but I would rate his performance as a coach as mediocre. Kent Austin? In his two years in Hamilton, he has amassed a winning percentage of .53--not exactly evidence of a great record. Sure he went to the GC, but did so from a very weak Eastern Division. This year he's 9-9, exactly the same as Benevides. I think an argument could be made that both of these guys have been out-coached this year by Tom Higgins.
Rammer
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:The maximum a CFL team could pay a HC/GM SuperBoss like Hufnagel or Buono, is about $500k per (although I doubt Wally ever made that much). It was rumoured Trestman was making near that as Als HC (around $400k?), so there's not much room for an upgrade. He could probably make 7-figures as a NFL OC and would probably have several suitors for his services.

Good points. In the Bears' game last night, the studio crew (either Cris Collinsworth or Al Michaels) mentioned Packers' HC Mike McCarthy`s comment about how he can`t imagine doing both jobs--HC and GM (currently Ted Thompson, who has done a great job for the Packers). It's unclear whether Trestman could do both well. I see Trestman as a bright x's and o's guy, although I`m not sure just how inspirational he is. One look at the Bears' offense the last few games might suggest that his inspirational ability may be less than great. The Bears have truly outstanding players at the skill positions: Cutler (who is loaded with passing talent despite his tendency to pout), Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery (two of the most explosive WRs in the NFL), Martellus Bennett, a huge and talented TE, Matt Forté (a fine RB and pass-catcher out of the backfield, although not a great blocker--somewhat like Andrew Harris), and a decent O-line. Yet they played last night like a third-rate offense, and against a defense that is not one of the better ones in the NFL. If we're consistent on this forum--laying most of the blame for the Lions`offensive woes at the feet of Benevides and Jones--then we should also direct blame for the Bears`inept offensive production this season at the feet of Trestman (and to a lesser extent Aaron Kromer, the OC, although Trestman seems to do much of the play-calling). So it seems a little incongruous to me that we're going gaga over Trestman at this time. I'm well aware that he did a good job in Montreal, but whether he would be a highly successful HC-GM here isn't at all crystal clear to me.

Another HC that seems to be consistently praised on this forum is Scott Milanovich. But is he that good ? He has amassed a 28-26 (winning percentage of 52%) in his three years of head coaching in Toronto, despite having the best quarterback in the CFL. It's true that he played at a high level himself (whereas Benevides didn't, and that might have eroded his credibility with the players), but I would rate his performance as a coach as mediocre. Kent Austin? In his two years in Hamilton, he has amassed a winning percentage of .53--not exactly evidence of a great record. Sure he went to the GC, but did so from a very weak Eastern Division. This year he's 9-9, exactly the same as Benevides. I think an argument could be made that both of these guys have been out-coached this year by Tom Higgins.
CFL is a much different beast than the NFL as far as offense goes. Trestman is restricted in the NFL, whereas in the CFL he can explore many more options in running his schemes. Perhaps the CFL is the better fit. Personally I doubt that this would happen, but if you place enough thought into it, the universe can align.
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

Rammer wrote:CFL is a much different beast than the NFL as far as offense goes. Trestman is restricted in the NFL, whereas in the CFL he can explore many more options in running his schemes. Perhaps the CFL is the better fit. Personally I doubt that this would happen, but if you place enough thought into it, the universe can align.
There are differences for sure, but I'm not sure about the NFL being "restricted." It is true, I think, that the defenses that Trestman has had to plan for in the NFL are probably more sophisticated than what he schemed against in the CFL, but my point had more to do with his ability to get his Bears offense operating at the level you'd expect with the contingent of outstanding play-makers he has. Frankly, against both the Patriots and the Packers, his offense has looked inept--even with the weapons in it--scoring an average of 18.5 points in those two games (while giving up an average of 53 points) against two defenses that aren't the best. Clearly, something is wrong with the Bears' offense, and it sure isn't a lack of talent. Trestman has just been unable to capitalize on that talent this season, and that's his job. Last season, Trestman's Bears had the 2nd-highest point total in the NFL--445 points for, or an average of just under 28 points per game. So far this year, in 9 games, the Bears are averaging about 21.5 points per game--with the same offense. Much of that has to fall on Trestman.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

So a couple of notes on this thread.

Remember that Trestman was out of NFL options when he came to Montreal. This is his first, and probably last, Head Coaching opportunity. Certainly, he can go the college route after he's let go by the Bears (and there's no chance he's let go before the end of the season), so really, for him, it's a matter of money.

Speaking of which, if the Bears do let him go, they're on the hook for the remainder of the money, less any money he gets from any other NFL job. But a CFL job? That's a different story.

If I'm him, I'd look at what has happened to me if I was let go by the Bears and say "well, I took my shot and it didn't work out," make peace with myself and go back to where I found success.

Unless Jerry Kill takes off from U Minnesota to a bigger job, in which case I'm sure he'd go after that job again.

If you want an even longer shot, Doug Nussmeier is going to be out of a job at the end of the year at Michigan. Having earned his pension, I wonder if he might look up north again.

As for Milanovich, he walked into this season with a bare cupboard back seven and a franchise working on monetary bare bones, and then promptly lost almost every offensive skill position player on the roster to injury. So he gets a free pass. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:So a couple of notes on this thread.

Remember that Trestman was out of NFL options when he came to Montreal. This is his first, and probably last, Head Coaching opportunity. Certainly, he can go the college route after he's let go by the Bears (and there's no chance he's let go before the end of the season), so really, for him, it's a matter of money.

Speaking of which, if the Bears do let him go, they're on the hook for the remainder of the money, less any money he gets from any other NFL job. But a CFL job? That's a different story.

If I'm him, I'd look at what has happened to me if I was let go by the Bears and say "well, I took my shot and it didn't work out," make peace with myself and go back to where I found success.

Unless Jerry Kill takes off from U Minnesota to a bigger job, in which case I'm sure he'd go after that job again.

If you want an even longer shot, Doug Nussmeier is going to be out of a job at the end of the year at Michigan. Having earned his pension, I wonder if he might look up north again.

As for Milanovich, he walked into this season with a bare cupboard back seven and a franchise working on monetary bare bones, and then promptly lost almost every offensive skill position player on the roster to injury. So he gets a free pass. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Some interesting speculation there for sure, Cro. With the job Kill has done at Minnesota I speculated on Saturday (to myself) that his name could pop up in Ann Arbor.

I'd like to see Nuss back with the Huskies and say bye bye to Jonathan Smith.

FWIW Dilfer was on The Herd this morning and he basically laid the blame on the GM and the Cutler money, not on Trestman.