Let's start the speculation - Trestman to B.C.?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Big Time
Champion

I see Trestman as a long shot. However if I'm Wally, I'd try to move heaven and earth to get Dave Dickenson installed as the head coach. I believe he reached out for the OC position last year, but was turned down. DD coming back would be a dream come true.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:So a couple of notes on this thread.

Remember that Trestman was out of NFL options when he came to Montreal. This is his first, and probably last, Head Coaching opportunity. Certainly, he can go the college route after he's let go by the Bears (and there's no chance he's let go before the end of the season), so really, for him, it's a matter of money.

Speaking of which, if the Bears do let him go, they're on the hook for the remainder of the money, less any money he gets from any other NFL job. But a CFL job? That's a different story.

If I'm him, I'd look at what has happened to me if I was let go by the Bears and say "well, I took my shot and it didn't work out," make peace with myself and go back to where I found success.

Unless Jerry Kill takes off from U Minnesota to a bigger job, in which case I'm sure he'd go after that job again.

If you want an even longer shot, Doug Nussmeier is going to be out of a job at the end of the year at Michigan. Having earned his pension, I wonder if he might look up north again.

As for Milanovich, he walked into this season with a bare cupboard back seven and a franchise working on monetary bare bones, and then promptly lost almost every offensive skill position player on the roster to injury. So he gets a free pass. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Regarding Scott Milanovich ...

I agree about Milanovich, cro. I have spoken well of him on this site. He also lost Chris Jones and Mike O'Shea from his staff, to promotion as Head Coaches. That in itself speaks well of a Head Coach, sending assistants on to a higher level job. I like what I see of his game prep, his schemes, the morale of his team, his sideline demeanour, which shows intensity but self-discipline. He did not whine about his horrible facilities situation. He did not whine about injuries or lost staff. I would suggest, that with his background as both a player and a coach, he has Xs and Os creativity and mastery.

I too would take him in a heartbeat. Plus he did win that Grey Cup. They can't take that away from him. And he has a resume full of credentials. There is lots to like there, and not much, if anything to dislike, at least for me and some others.

Even his media comments I find agreeable. He doesn't give blather. He thinks before he speaks. He considers the question carefully. He respects the reporter. He gives the reporter and the viewer something worthwhile, without, of course, giving up too much.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

cromartie wrote:As for Milanovich, he walked into this season with a bare cupboard back seven and a franchise working on monetary bare bones, and then promptly lost almost every offensive skill position player on the roster to injury. So he gets a free pass. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Well, he's 20-16 (.555) in the two preceding years, so it's not just this year. And incidentally that 20-16 regular-season record is identical to Benevides' record over his past two seasons (discounting his first year, 13-5, which could be seen as his inheriting a winning team from Wally). I'm genuinely curious about why Milanovich seems to generate such admiration on this forum, although it's possible I've sensed more than actually exists.

Oh, just for forumers' information, Marc Trestman's present salary with the Bears is $4.25M. A typical coordinator in the NFL makes $1M or a little more. US college head coaches make huge dollars: the top 50 make well in excess of $2M, and a fair number make >$4M. Somehow, I find it hard to see Trestman coming back to the CFL for the likely <$500K. But who knows; I suppose it could happen.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

For myself, I am a fan of the CFL itself, as well as being a lifelong fan of the Lions. Easy enough for me to acknowledge other teams, both players and coaches, along with our own Lions.

I recall quite a few years ago, when I was still a keen fan of the NFL, talking with a friend, another rather keen NFL fan. He asked what my favourite team was. Before I could answer he said he figured that I liked all of them. LOL ... Not quite, but I do find stuff to like with many well run football organizations.

As noted a few times, I am personally happy to see what I consider to be an influx of creative, effective, top level coaches in this league, some new, some re-cycled. This seemed to go into high gear with the arrival of Kent Austin in Saskatchewan. Then came John Hufnagel in Calgary, Marc Trestman in Montreal, Scott Milanovich in Toronto, the return of Kent Austin with Hamilton, and Chris Jones in Edmonton. Chamblin might be there too. He did win that Grey Cup. And Tom Higgins, a Grey Cup winner himself as a Head Coach, has done a nice job settling down the Alouettes.

Guys come and go, but IMO we have seen a rising curve in the level of coaching in the CFL. All to the good ... as long as your team keeps up with the pace.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

cromartie
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
FWIW Dilfer was on The Herd this morning and he basically laid the blame on the GM and the Cutler money, not on Trestman.
It's a Harbaugh or bust for me at Michigan.

I saw a nice stat from Albert Breer of NFLN today:

The Bears have four remaining players from their 2009-2012 drafts.

That's not good.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Milanovich is a beauty.
I think we were nuts to let go of the only coach we had (jarious jackson) that has ever been exposed to a trestman/milanovich offense (when jarious backed up ray in toronto in 2012). That wealth of knowledge of that offense literally just dissapeared with the departure of jarious. And now look what mcadoo and jarious are doing in edmonton.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:

That's not good.
Yeah, I saw that as well. Ridiculous.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
cromartie wrote:

That's not good.
Yeah, I saw that as well. Ridiculous.
:dizzy: amazing but not in a good way.....
bit late throwing in my :2cents: I thought Trestman would struggle here in the CFL, gladly admit I was wrong. Heard lots of good things coming out about his regime at the start but its the wins/losses that matter ESPECIALLY in the NFL. I love having a strong defence BUT do not see why we can't have one due to a offensive guru as head coach. So, IOW, if he wants to coach here, it'll be fun to watch I'm sure, just keep a solid D......
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: Guys come and go, but IMO we have seen a rising curve in the level of coaching in the CFL. All to the good ... as long as your team keeps up with the pace.
And in that one simple sentence is encapsulated most of issue here in BC. Our teams haven't been keeping up with the pace and the long term outlook seems pretty grim if the status quo is maintained.

Next season is going to have to start with a QB search. I don't know if Glenn will be back or Lulay will be able to go. In years past we have always had someone in the bull pen ready for that day but now we find ourselves without much of a plan B. Beck probably isn't an answer and what do we know about Partridge?

Our coaching is a big question mark and if there are changes, the issue will be what are we changing to? Who is available? Who would be willing to come? If changes aren't forthcoming does it mean that Wally may also be on the block if we have another dismal season.

Lot's of questions. Very few answers.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote: Lot's of questions. Very few answers.
And the season continues on pace. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:As noted a few times, I am personally happy to see what I consider to be an influx of creative, effective, top level coaches in this league, some new, some re-cycled. This seemed to go into high gear with the arrival of Kent Austin in Saskatchewan. Then came John Hufnagel in Calgary, Marc Trestman in Montreal, Scott Milanovich in Toronto, the return of Kent Austin with Hamilton, and Chris Jones in Edmonton. Chamblin might be there too. He did win that Grey Cup. And Tom Higgins, a Grey Cup winner himself as a Head Coach, has done a nice job settling down the Alouettes.

Guys come and go, but IMO we have seen a rising curve in the level of coaching in the CFL. All to the good ... as long as your team keeps up with the pace.
I'm somewhat skeptical about Jones mostly due to some of the antics and other BS he's pulled off this season such as deliberately having his team fail to come out for the National Anthem on time (3 times), his disdain for the coaches post-game handshake ritual and if I recall early season denying media of access to the locker room. He could turn into one of those good coaches with a short shelf life to be frequently recycled.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:As noted a few times, I am personally happy to see what I consider to be an influx of creative, effective, top level coaches in this league, some new, some re-cycled. This seemed to go into high gear with the arrival of Kent Austin in Saskatchewan. Then came John Hufnagel in Calgary, Marc Trestman in Montreal, Scott Milanovich in Toronto, the return of Kent Austin with Hamilton, and Chris Jones in Edmonton. Chamblin might be there too. He did win that Grey Cup. And Tom Higgins, a Grey Cup winner himself as a Head Coach, has done a nice job settling down the Alouettes.

I'm somewhat skeptical about Jones mostly due to some of the antics and other BS he's pulled off this season such as deliberately having his team fail to come out for the National Anthem on time (3 times), his disdain for the coaches post-game handshake ritual and if I recall early season denying media of access to the locker room. He could turn into one of those good coaches with a short shelf life to be frequently recycled.
Yes, he is extreme. And that makes one wonder if he will get on the wrong side of the players eventually. I expect he takes an "us against the world attitude" for his team.

For the time being, his approach is working. He has the players totally onside. They have bought in. And IMO he is doing a terrific job as Head Coach.

As time goes on we will hear/see how the other coaches feel about Chris Jones. Does he not shake hands with guys like Milanovich and O'Shea as well, guys he has worked with? I would expect that he maintains good relations with ex-colleagues. If he has disdain for all opponents that is somewhat bizarre and short-sighted.

It seems clear that Benny took offence, using the word "clowns." I cannot think that Benny meant the entire Eskimo team, rather, I expect he meant Jones. Maybe Hervey also. Who knows? But Benny would not have directed that at guys like Jarious Jackson, Mike Reilly, et cetera.

The hand shake thing? Not necessarily a big deal. Bud Grant usually did not do it. Didn't mean anything, in that he might be friends with the opposing coach, speak beforehand, et cetera, but wanted to get off the field just after. He usually semi-sprinted to the dressing after games.

David
Team Captain

I'm with you, Hambone. There's something altogether untrustworthy about the guy. I wouldn't buy a new car from the guy, let alone a used car; he's very easy to root against. As a matter of fact, I never want to see a guy injured and I really admire Mike Reilly, but when he hobbled back to the huddle in the 4th quarter of a blowout win in obvious discomfort and the camera cut away to Jones's usual look of intensity on the sidelines, I couldn't help but mutter "serves you right for keeping him in the game."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:I'm with you, Hambone. There's something altogether untrustworthy about the guy. I wouldn't buy a new car from the guy, let alone a used car; he's very easy to root against. As a matter of fact, I never want to see a guy injured and I really admire Mike Reilly, but when he hobbled back to the huddle in the 4th quarter of a blowout win in obvious discomfort and the camera cut away to Jones's usual look of intensity on the sidelines, I couldn't help but mutter "serves you right for keeping him in the game."

I agree with DH and Hambone as I don't really like Jones and his attitude, but I would trade MB for Jones in a NY Minute.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:I'm with you, Hambone. There's something altogether untrustworthy about the guy. I wouldn't buy a new car from the guy, let alone a used car; he's very easy to root against. As a matter of fact, I never want to see a guy injured and I really admire Mike Reilly, but when he hobbled back to the huddle in the 4th quarter of a blowout win in obvious discomfort and the camera cut away to Jones's usual look of intensity on the sidelines, I couldn't help but mutter "serves you right for keeping him in the game."

You mean like if you were the opposing coach and he did come out and do the post-game handshake the first thing you'd be doing as you turned away to head for your locker room is to check and see if you still had your wallet? :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.