Lousy year for CFL?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

agent2
All Star

Here's my top ten list of why this year has been sub standard...
10. Too many blowouts
9. Too many injuries
8. Officiating
7. Lopsided divisions
6. Too many empty stadium seats (overpriced?)
5. Lack of star power
4. Bad QBs
3. Bad coaching
2. Mediocre broadcasters and analysts
and the No. 1 reason...
Gawdawful third uniforms (except BC)
dupsdell1
Champion

Then do not watch
notahomer
Hall of Famer

It has seemed to be a different type of year and there are probably a myriad of reasons. IMO, the biggest change this year was the addition of the Ottawa Redblacks. The Redblacks brought about a lot of impact to the CFL. Over the long term, IMO, this is ALMOST definately a GOOD thing but in the short term....?

Just from a Lions perspective how has Ottawa impacted the CFL? Well we lost DeMarco. How would this season have gone with him at the helm instead of Glenn? Its a moot point simply because this is the reality and we lost him in the expansion draft fair and square, but I ponder it nonetheless.

Also from a Lions perspective. Another trip (which I happened to be on!) to the East. Those two games versus the Redblacks would have been played against a team from the Western Divison like the Riders for e.g. Skulsky would LOVE to have the Riders play in BC Place twice a season just from a business perspective.

Our divison tightened up too with the addition of the Bombers. Traditional members of the West, it only made sense to move them back to our divison, I guess. In some ways it might have been neat to see the East with FIVE teams. Let them have the extra team.

Again, I think the addition of Ottawa in the short term had good/bad impacts upon the Lions (and therefore other teams). In the long term I hope the impacts are (they will be, IMO) more positive. But the addition of a team like this means that all teams probably have some players WHO WOULD NOT have been playing anymore but expansion bought them some more playing time AND/OR thrust some youngsters into playing when in the past they would have had some more seasoning.
I do think things work in cycles too. Defense starts to do exceptionally well, so eventually the Offense figures out a wrinkle thats challenging. And of course, other teams offenses do a better job of copying that wrinkle than other teams defenses do 'IRONING THE WRINKLE OUT'. Soon a wrinkle your offence adds, is being used against your defence. I persoanlly enjoy watching defensive football when its good football. Watching a low scoring game simply because the offences SUCK is not that much fun. Watching a low scoring GAME due to strong defences...fine in my books. Strangely, many of us don't mind the flipside of the equation, WEAK DEFENCES. For some watching the Lions score 45 points and LOSE doesn't seem as frustrating as winning (versus the Redblacks :wink: ) 7-5.
As far as the officiating. I know they do a job I couldn't. Officiating is TOUGHER than many think. I for example frequently agree with flags thrown on the Lions defence that people nearby think ARE TERRIBLE CALLS. My gripe is consistency. Often I feel I will have things figured out, you seem to understand where the theorectical line is being drawn and THEN WHAM, :dizzy: a call happens that contradicts other calls made EVEN THAT GAME. A purrfect example of this (and I know its fine by the rules) was Coach Benevides throwing a challenge flag and not only not having that challenge overturn the call but a penalty (other Lionbackers claim it wasn't a penalty but I haven't seen the replay) was called for a chopblock :bang:

My thing with it being a possible 'poop' year for the CFL is again, something that PROBABLY will be a good thing in the long term. Ottawa returned and there was little or no problem with their stadium/schedule. That being said, the Ticats certainly had a lot of struggles with their HOME this season. Now that Tim Hortons Field is built and nearly FINISHED, its a bump in the road that won't have to be figured for. In terms of scheduling etc... it probably caused problems that DID end up showing up in the on field product.

So, of course, the Argos have to be brought in at this. Their schedule ABSOLUTELY SUCKED, IMO. Short turnaround between some home games. Poor practice facilities etc.... Once these problems get fixed, hopefully again, it won't affect the on field product.
Injuries. These happen every season to every team to a degree. But a season where the leading rusher was on the 6 game injured list? Weird, IMO but it happened. Same with how certain teams were majorily impacted by key components of their team being injured.

One Lionback joked that Darian Durant should be the most valuable player (the actual award is 'most outstanding player'). I loved his line simply because Durant has shown how valuable he is to his team by looking at his teams record since being injured. So, IOW, he certainly WAS not my vote for 'outstanding player' (and wouldn't have been had he not gotten injured) but makes sense he is the 'most valuable". The Argos recieving core and of course various aspects of the Lions roster certainly seemed to be hit harder than usual. No doubt of course, there are stats somewhere showing that NO, this was actually a normal year, but it certainly seems injuries have played a role in MOST teams seasons. QB is one position especially challenged.....

I realize 2014 is not yet done. The playoffs are still to come. I have little doubt that they'll provide their usuall levels of entertainment and enjoyment for me. One thing I do give the CFL credit for is giving us fans opportunity to TUNE UP our game that we pay to be entertained by. So, when the offer comes if you have some suggestions or ideas on rule changes either in terms of how the teams are set up (roster sizes, national/international etc....) or gameplay (PI video reviews, scoring reviews etc...) suggest them. The CFL has made changes before. Some have worked and others were scrapped (like the four sided blocking, IIRC). Next season, I'm going to continue enjoying my favourite professional sports league.....
agent2
All Star

OK. I got two responses from my tongue-in-cheek top ten list... from either end of the intelligence spectrum. One thoughtful and insightful the other a knee jerk response often used by folks unable to accept constructive criticism. I've been a lifelong CFL fan (since the 60's) and will be so until I die. I jokingly raised these points because I'm concerned that too many people are doing exactly what dupsdell suggested (not watching). I agree some of the difficulties this year stemmed from the addition of Ottawa (particularly roster ratios and the watering down of Canadian talent). I also fully understand the difficulties officials deal with, so maybe my beef should be more with the coaches, inability to get teams playing on one page (listening Mike?). The CFL seems to have embraced the new corporate marketing strategy (see BC Ferries) of less volume/higher margin, result: more empty seats. I'm away most of the summer so only attend a few fall games each year but now its a struggle for me to get my "casual fan" buddies to go, they complain about paying $100 (plus extras), to sit in the upper deck. The CFL should think twice about turning off the casual fans, families, kids and high priced upper deck seats won't help. Oh yeah.... I ordered a Lions third jersey a month ago and was told it'll be several weeks because they ran out of letters... sheesh :sigh:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Injuries definitely factored in but one need only look at some of the normal bell-weather stats to see that not just BC's but all offences had a trying season.

The numbers:

3 - the number of 1000 yard receivers; Bowman, Denmark & Carter. Only Bowman broke past 1100 yards. Last year there were 7. In 2012 there were 9.

1 - the number of 1000 yard rushers. Amazingly while nobody else could crack 1000 Jon Cornish pulled it off in only 9 games. Last year there were 2. In 2012 there were 4.

1 - the number of 4000 yard passers. Ricky Ray led with 4595. Ironically the much maligned Kevin Glenn finished 2nd in passing with 3918 yds. Last year there were 3. In 2012 there were 5.

Teams with 500+ points for: 1. Last year there were 4. In 2012 there were 2.
Teams with 400 to 499 points for: 3. Last year there were 3. In 2012 there were 5.
Teams with less than 400 points for: 5. Last year there was 1. In 2012 there was 1.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Injuries definitely factored in but one need only look at some of the normal bell-weather stats to see that not just BC's but all offences had a trying season.

The numbers:

3 - the number of 1000 yard receivers; Bowman, Denmark & Carter. Only Bowman broke past 1100 yards. Last year there were 7. In 2012 there were 9.

1 - the number of 1000 yard rushers. Amazingly while nobody else could crack 1000 Jon Cornish pulled it off in only 9 games. Last year there were 2. In 2012 there were 4.

1 - the number of 4000 yard passers. Ricky Ray led with 4595. Ironically the much maligned Kevin Glenn finished 2nd in passing with 3918 yds. Last year there were 3. In 2012 there were 5.

Teams with 400 to 499 points for: 3. Last year there were 3. In 2012 there were 5.
Teams with less than 400 points for: 5. Last year there was 1. In 2012 there was 1.
And what about receiving TDs? Manny Arceneaux led the league with 8. Eight.
LFITQ
Team Captain

I'll just throw this out there. There seems to be a large number of former players in the CFL this year that are coaches. Perhaps there isn't enough new blood and new ideas out there? Maybe a little too close to the players and thereby not getting enough out of them? Purely conjecture with no evidence to support it, but throwing it out there as a potential reason for the sad season.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
Hambone wrote:Injuries definitely factored in but one need only look at some of the normal bell-weather stats to see that not just BC's but all offences had a trying season.

The numbers:

And what about receiving TDs? Manny Arceneaux led the league with 8. Eight.
Yeah, I think all of these decidedly unsexy stats would go under two of the OP's entries: "9. Too many injuries" and "5. Lack of star power".

I had a look at the team reps for MOP. Not to knock anyone on the list, but that has to be the weakest field in a loooooooong time. Three players are on defence, and not that the MOP should never be on D, but with there already being a MODP award, it kind of makes the MOP a de facto MOOP. Except this year when there's such a lack of obvious offensive candidates (as evidenced above by the paucity of players reaching typical benchmarks) that you have to start looking at the other side of the ball.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IMO, in order to increase the O play and stats the league needs to put increased restrictions on the amount of contact that a DB can initiate with a receiver. In other words the receivers need a better opportunity for getting open. :2cents:
ballhawk
Legend

DanoT wrote:IMO, in order to increase the O play and stats the league needs to put increased restrictions on the amount of contact that a DB can initiate with a receiver. In other words the receivers need a better opportunity for getting open. :2cents:
I couldn't agree with the above post more, this is indeed one of the major problems in the CFL. The DBs are allowed to get away with murder up here compared to the NFL.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
korey&dante4ever
Champion

ballhawk wrote:
DanoT wrote:IMO, in order to increase the O play and stats the league needs to put increased restrictions on the amount of contact that a DB can initiate with a receiver. In other words the receivers need a better opportunity for getting open. :2cents:
I couldn't agree with the above post more, this is indeed one of the major problems in the CFL. The DBs are allowed to get away with murder up here compared to the NFL.
YES
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Big Time
Champion

This has been the worst year I have ever witnessed in the CFL. In no short order:

- the worst QB situation in the entire league
- unbelievably lopsided divide between East and West teams
- the challenge for pass interference has been one of the biggest failures in league history
- the officiating has been the worst in history

I really can't stress the last two points enough. While the first two points have something to do with luck, timing, and injuries, the last two points are entirely in league control and have completely diminished my love for the game. Even the commentators on TV have started to comment about how many flags are thrown. The refs don't seem to have a clue from game to game what a penalty is, and the result is either players getting away with murder, or players not being able to play football without a penalty. The pass interference challenge has exacerbated this situation to the point where half the challenges are of the "What the hell, I'll just challenge because who knows what the refs will call this time" variety. As long as this rule is in effect, there will not be a single hail mary that goes unchallenged. Guaranteed.

Honestly, there has to be some castaway NFL refs that could come up north and replace these refs. How it is that long time veteran CFL referees can be so unbelievably, astonishingly, inexcusably atrocious is easily the biggest failure of the Mark Cohon regime. Whenever Andre Proulx is announced as a referee, I immediately know that we are in for a game of flag football. It has actually gotten worst over the years where true CFL fans can't even defend the sorry state of affairs. As a fan of this league for going on three decades, I'm truly embarassed by the performance of officials this year. For the first time ever, I have felt like the league has truly descended into bush league territory.

These are harsh words and it pains me to write them. I can only hope that the CFL sees this as tries to do something, anything, to improve the situation.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

nothing wrong with the officiating. As far as all the flags go, blame the idiot players who cannot play within the rules.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Ravi
Legend

Big Time wrote:Whenever Andre Proulx is announced as a referee, I immediately know that we are in for a game of flag football.
Kirk Penton did an analysis in his weekly Winnipeg Sun and found that games reffed by Proulx produced the LEAST number of flags. IMO, Proulx and Kim Murphy are the best head referees. The worst? It has to be Dave Foxcroft who is inconsistent with his own calls and seems unsure of himself much of the time.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Ravi wrote:
Big Time wrote:Whenever Andre Proulx is announced as a referee, I immediately know that we are in for a game of flag football.
Kirk Penton did an analysis in his weekly Winnipeg Sun and found that games reffed by Proulx produced the LEAST number of flags. IMO, Proulx and Kim Murphy are the best head referees. The worst? It has to be Dave Foxcroft who is inconsistent with his own calls and seems unsure of himself much of the time.

Knowing that the Proulx crew has been heavily criticized in the past, I have paid attention when his crew was working. I found several games where they did a very good job and didn't seem to throw too many unnecessary flags. So my seat of the pants observation is that Proulx has gotten a undeserved bad rap in the past.

As far as PI challenges and challenges in general it is the Command Centre which has the biggest problem with consistency, the officiating crews less so.

I don't really know what Big Time's problem with QBing is about. Lots of injured QBs this season but it happens every year and so the best teams are the ones with capable backups. The CFl is a bit thin on backup QBs but there is a very nice crop of young QBs, starting with Reilly, Willy, Mitchell, Collaros, Crompton. :beauty: