Montreal vs lions semi final ticket count

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dupsdell1
Champion

I know it is early but has anyone looked at the tickets available for the semi final , and the price ? There must only be 5-6 thousand sold as of today .
Ravi
Legend

dupsdell1 wrote:I know it is early but has anyone looked at the tickets available for the semi final , and the price ? There must only be 5-6 thousand sold as of today .
Early round playoff games in any league are a notoriously tough sell and that has been the case in the CFL for decades. Edmonton should do okay this week only because they are facing Saskatchewan. A Lions/Eskimos first round playoff game would have been a tough sell as well.
dupsdell1
Champion

I guess we will see how the week goes but I would say they will not even hit the 20,000 mark . again look at the prices they are charging EF prices for ESMF game
Bosco
Team Captain

Montreal hasn't sold out one game all year, and that's with separate Ben Cahoon and Anthony Calvillo jersey retirement days.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I see the game is not at Olympic but rather Molson, where they haven't played a playoff game since they HAD to against us in 1997 on account of the U2 scheduling conflict at Olympic (there's apparently NO conflict this year) and thenceforth made it their permanent home. And to think they got over 50k just two years ago at Olympic for the EF.

There was even a time in the Calvillo era when they would play their final home game of the regular season at Olympic, most recently in 2007 when they finished 3rd and had no home playoff game but got 44,510 on Oct 20 (Molson capacity is currently 25,012 but at the time was only 20,202). They also got 45k for their home finale in 2006 (35k in the EF), 51k in 2005 (31k in the ESF) and 53k in 2004 (51k in the EF).

For anyone who was thinking, "Hey, we can play indoors if we cross over!"... well, between Molson and no Argos if we even do make it past Mtl, this would have to be a bit of a wet blanket.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:I see the game is not at Olympic but rather Molson, where they haven't played a playoff game since they HAD to against us in 1997 on account of the U2 scheduling conflict at Olympic (there's apparently NO conflict this year) and thenceforth made it their permanent home. And to think they got over 50k just two years ago at Olympic for the EF.

There was even a time in the Calvillo era when they would play their final home game of the regular season at Olympic, most recently in 2007 when they finished 3rd and had no home playoff game but got 44,510 on Oct 20 (Molson capacity is currently 25,012 but at the time was only 20,202). They also got 45k for their home finale in 2006 (35k in the EF), 51k in 2005 (31k in the ESF) and 53k in 2004 (51k in the EF).

For anyone who was thinking, "Hey, we can play indoors if we cross over!"... well, between Molson and no Argos if we even do make it past Mtl, this would have to be a bit of a wet blanket.
I think that the Big Owe had structural damage, and that in order to play inside, the Als would have to pick up the cost for the repairs. That isn't going to happen anytime soon, as in all likelyhood there would be more damage in the near future making this an ongoing issue. Besides, like most CFL teams that go from hosting a divisional final game a semi-final isn't exactly the event that the fans have fresh in their mind, especially outdoors at this time of the year.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I see the game is not at Olympic but rather Molson, where they haven't played a playoff game since they HAD to against us in 1997 on account of the U2 scheduling conflict at Olympic (there's apparently NO conflict this year) and thenceforth made it their permanent home. And to think they got over 50k just two years ago at Olympic for the EF.

I think that the Big Owe had structural damage, and that in order to play inside, the Als would have to pick up the cost for the repairs. That isn't going to happen anytime soon, as in all likelyhood there would be more damage in the near future making this an ongoing issue. Besides, like most CFL teams that go from hosting a divisional final game a semi-final isn't exactly the event that the fans have fresh in their mind, especially outdoors at this time of the year.
Don't follow you there. Olympic is indoors, no? Which would make it more attractive than outdoor Molson from that POV, notwithstanding the other structural issues?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

Just heard from a Montreal Radio station that around 11,000 been sold , they are expecting close to 20,000
Ravi
Legend

sj-roc wrote:I see the game is not at Olympic but rather Molson, where they haven't played a playoff game since they HAD to against us in 1997 on account of the U2 scheduling conflict at Olympic (there's apparently NO conflict this year) and thenceforth made it their permanent home.
They did play playoff games at McGill in '98, '99, and '00. I don't believe they have played a playoff game at McGill since the 2000 EF. I suspect that a large part of the reason why they are back at McGill this year for the playoffs is that they have had little time to sell this game. Most years, the Als have clinched a home playoff game - often the East Final - with three or four weeks left in the regular season which gave them five or six weeks to promote and sell the game. They did not have that luxury this season.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I see the game is not at Olympic but rather Molson, where they haven't played a playoff game since they HAD to against us in 1997 on account of the U2 scheduling conflict at Olympic (there's apparently NO conflict this year) and thenceforth made it their permanent home.
They did play playoff games at McGill in '98, '99, and '00. I don't believe they have played a playoff game at McGill since the 2000 EF. I suspect that a large part of the reason why they are back at McGill this year for the playoffs is that they have had little time to sell this game. Most years, the Als have clinched a home playoff game - often the East Final - with three or four weeks left in the regular season which gave them five or six weeks to promote and sell the game. They did not have that luxury this season.
Ok, I stand corrected on the venue for their home playoffs in the early AC years. But this still has to be considered a step back for the Alouettes, not to be using Olympic Stadium for the playoffs for the first time in well over a decade, and one in keeping with the general malaise that seems to have gripped the whole league this year. League-wide regular season average attendance as I noted here elsewhere was down nearly 6.4% this year over last.
dupsdell1
Champion

Well if it is A very low crowed at least it is beneficial to the lions no noise.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Well if it is A very low crowed at least it is beneficial to the lions no noise.
Exactly and if the Lions can get off to quick start it will silence the crowd even more.
dupsdell1
Champion

Do not worry I do not think there will be any one there.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

I have tickets for the 1st row toward the northwest corner, and there were tons available when I got them Sunday evening. They are definitely overpriced -- anything at all central is in the $100 range, no matter how far back. Directly behind the eastern end zone is $36, and those are the cheapest. I was tempted to buy first row there to hopefully catch the eye of any TD-scoring Lion (I plan to drape a BC flag down if I can), but decided to get better sightlines instead (for $53, still plan to drape the flag down).

On that note, there is a possibility that I may not actually be able to make the game for personal reasons. If that happens, is there anyone in this region who would be interested in some tickets at a discount? (Ironically I just cancelled the event insurance that I had purchased by accident).
dupsdell1
Champion

Leo_on_Rideau wrote:I have tickets for the 1st row toward the northwest corner, and there were tons available when I got them Sunday evening. They are definitely overpriced -- anything at all central is in the $100 range, no matter how far back. Directly behind the eastern end zone is $36, and those are the cheapest. I was tempted to buy first row there to hopefully catch the eye of any TD-scoring Lion (I plan to drape a BC flag down if I can), but decided to get better sightlines instead (for $53, still plan to drape the flag down).

On that note, there is a possibility that I may not actually be able to make the game for personal reasons. If that happens, is there anyone in this region who would be interested in some tickets at a discount? (Ironically I just cancelled the event insurance that I had purchased by accident).

If you go have a good time I am sure you will be able to sit anywhere you want .