Stampeders 33 - Lions 16 Post Mortem

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Buh buh buh ... Benny ... Benny ...

Benny got lots of air time for that hopeless, useless challenge of PI. LOL And he strutted pretty well, showing anger. Ripping the flag off the ground with contempt. And then he fought with his headset, which he hangs with disdain over his back, when he is off on a rant.

Other comments.

Logan looked very good. Professional.

LaRose treated the ball like a bar of soap once again.

Ummm ... Calgary had nothing to play for. Except that their preparation always puts them in position to win.

I was kind of hoping we would get to play the Eskimos. Be neat to see Benny face the guys he called clowns once again.

Stats coming ...

Oh yeah. No blog. I started it, but could not do it. Kind of like the players. Morale problem. Lack of motivation. It filters down. I pushed myself through it last week. Not this week.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ha ha ... Stats not working at cfl.ca ... Well that is appropriate.

Yee haw. Sack. 1:41 left. 3rd down. Go for it, Benny. Bonzai.

What will Benny say post game? In a morbid sense, it would be interesting to hear him in the locker room after this further messing of the bed.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

leo4life
All Star

Lions outscored 70-19 last two games...'nuff said
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Penalties. Lions 9, Stampeders 3.

Sacks allowed. Lions 5, Calgary 0.

Solo 6 tackles.

Glenn 26/36, 312.

Calgary 414 yards passing.

Logan 17/117 rushing.

The tale of another loss.

We finish 9-9 in our continuing downhill slide.

dat
Rookie

It shows how pathetic Lions coaching is. Calgary didn't have to win to clinch first so they weren't going to show too much. Even though Leos had a lot of backups starting on the D line the bottom line is they didn't play near well enough. This is how the Leos O coordinators think. Logan gets a 3 yard run. The next play they throw a 5 yard pass and he gets stuffed. Really ? Throw a 10 yard or a 7 yard pattern. What a joke. You have second a 7 and you throw a 5 yard pattern. Some teams play with an aggressive philosophy offensively. Even though BC played better than they did last week the type of plays BC called at times were ridiculous. When it`s second down the play you call should result in a first down. Leos were around . 500 at home this year. You have to go back a really long time to see that. I`ll wait to see the playoff games but I don`t have much hope. It would be great if I`m proved wrong but I can`t see it. Part of me is hoping they crash and burn the first playoff game so that they address the changes that need to be made.

DAT
dupsdell1
Champion

This team does not even have a chance next week no matter who they play , will pay attention to the score but not watching, not wasting my time . Glen is not going to win with this team.
leo4life
All Star

One more loss needed to send Benny,Jones,Dorazio,Mcmann & several players on there way
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Angus Reid said on the pregame show on radio that players wouldn't admit it but most of them probably want to be the crossover team and travel to the East for the playoffs. From top to bottom, the organization did its best to earn that crossover spot, resting half the starters on defence and playing pure vanilla coverages with no pressure on the QB. I don't think they can turn it on suddenly in the playoffs and make key plays they need to win when they haven't been able to make them in the regular season, but I guess that strategy beats a return trip to Edmonton next week. It's up to the Riders to see if they want that crossover spot more than the Lions.

Kudos to Stefan Logan, Alex Hoffman-Ellis and Solomon Elimimian for strong games. The rest of the Lions at least seemed to get through the game uninjured. A new season starts now.
leo4life
All Star

The East wont be easier & they way the Lions are playing they could be blown out....19pts scored last two games...Stamps made it look so easy...Wally said players who didnt perform well will sit out in semi final
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I didn't expect to see a Lion victory and I didn't. Some impressions:

Alex Hoffman-Ellis played well

Shawn Gore played his best game of the season. About friggin time.

Stefan Logan outstanding

JR Larose couldn't catch a cold if he was naked in the Arctic

Special teams coverage horrendous as was most of the season
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Announced crowd was just under 33K but lots of the regulars around me DID NOT bother to show. Maybe they've taken Monday off from work and decided to make a four day weekend (since Tuesday is a Stat?).
The energy in the concourse was surprisingly upbeat and people seemed happy to be there. I was still shell-shocked from watching the game last week. So, IOW, tonight WAS a dramatic STEP up from that but still...... :dizzy:
Can't figure out why Coach challenges that PI. If it hadn't been called PI and Hufnagel challenged it, I woulda liked his chances. Based on the live action and the replay on screen, not sure why it was challenged other than HOPING
My section had the electronic surveys so I made sure to do one. Some interesting questions to be sure. You can tell they do try to see if certain things are worth continuing (what I'd do for a living if I wasn't a BC Lion). One problem though is that they ask you for things like your email address and then didn't provide enough space to type it in. Amateurish, IMO. Do it right or don't bother.

Also, re: the What I would do gameday promotion: In our section we were laughing because todays version was asked of Coach Benevides. People were joking it should have been rephrased "what am I going to be doing when I get fired next week?" And of course, his answer "PLUMBER" got some comments whereby I don't have to fill in the blanks for you... :wink:
Heard lots of chatter here @ Lionbackers, at the games and elsewhere about not renewing season tickets. I already have and probably will next season too. THis season was dissappointing. There will come a time when maybe the $$$ is just too much. The frustrating part for me is I have NEVER sat through (I know OTHERS HAVE) a season where my team WON MORE games on the road and I had to watch the Lions LOSE so many at home. The concept of Dome-field advantage or entering the ferocious LIONS DEN, is just laughable, now, IMO. I loved the days when this was turf to be defended and it almost ALWAYS was. Oh well, it won't be hard to next season to do better at home than they did this season.
I do realize the season is not done. The Lions still get to play in at least one playoff game and their goal of winning another homefield Grey CUp does NOT end until they lose a playoff game. I'll be cheering and hoping but my logical mind just does not see them getting it done.....
I also don't understand the logic behind the 'crossover is better'. Okay the records of the East teams has not been good. Okay the Esks and Stamps look like they are CLEARLY a step above everybody else. Then again, one of the most AMAZING CFL runs was the Lions of 2012. Started slow, rebounded and then won the Grey Cup here. So, how would one describe the Montreal season? Certainly had an even WORSE start to their season than the 2012 Lions yet those same AL's are now close to winning their divison. And we want to crossover to play them? OKay, I guess......
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It says a lot when your most dangerous offensive weapon on the night is a guy who has been off for 3 weeks because of injury.

At the game tonight and I am glad to say that this torturous seasons is coming to a close.

Best moment of the night? Probably the 50-50 draw, or more specifically the woman making the draw. Yowza.

Apparently if Bene weren't a coach he would be? ...... a plumber. I have two thoughts on this.

1. It is good that he has a back up trade.

2. He is already a plumber. A head plumber trying to fix a badly blocked toilet and failing utterly.

Should I be concerned that our QB seems to be more dangerous (to our own team) as he approaches the red zone of our opponent?

Does our head coach actually understand what the PI call was for? It was text book screening even if the flag was late coming out. Apparently either our coach or the spotter in the booth don't seem to understand this call.

This was an uninspired effort by an uninspired team. I don't think East or West is going to matter much. If (I mostly think when) we make a quick exit from the post season, it will be interesting to hear the spin.

I couldn't help but wonder which players played their last game as a Lion tonight.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
swervynmerv
Legend

leo4life wrote:The East wont be easier & they way the Lions are playing they could be blown out....19pts scored last two games...Stamps made it look so easy...Wally said players who didnt perform well will sit out in semi final

Does that include our Head Coach?

To paraphrase Jack Nicholson in Batman "This Team Needs an Enema"!!!
Blitz
Team Captain

As our Leos lost last night 33-16 to the Calgary Stampeders, the difference between both teams was obvious as I looked down to the sidelines. On one side was John Hufnagel, the Stamps Head Coach. Here was a guy who had more than earned his dues in both the CFL and NFL. He looked poised, confident, intense, and in control. On the other side was Mike Benevedes, who had not earned his dues, and he looked angry, confused, and alone.

On the other side was Dave Dickenson, the discarded ex-Leo quarterback who had been trained and brought along by Hugnagel in his early years as an offensive coordinator and now considered Head Coaching material. On our side was Khari Jones, trying to do it all by himself. On the other side was Rich Stubler, an experienced, veteran defensive coordinator who has almost seen it all, and on our side was Mark Washington, a rookie defensive coordinator who had enjoyed an outstanding first season until three games ago when the wheels starting coming off.

On the visitors side was Pat DelMonaco, the Stamps first year offensive line coach. DelMonaco joined the Stamps after 4 seasons in Winnipeg. His offensive line was giving all three Stamps quarterbacks time to read a novel in the pocket. On our side was veteran Dorazio, mostly obscure, except to whisper in Benevedes ear on ocasion, watching our offensive line, with 3 Internationals in the lineup, give up 5 sack.

The GM of the Stamps, John Hufnagel, knows he has a Head Coach who can teach as well as motivate. The GM of the Leos, Wally Buono, does not have the same scenario. In spite of revamping his scouting system in the off-season, has brought in some tremendous new talent to augment what was expected to be a Grey Cup favorite. But the results have not been there. Buono has stepped in, put most of the pressure on the players, and revamped the lineup. It didn't make a difference. That should have been obvious. That is not where the problem lies.

Here are some post game thoughts.

COACHING :thdn:

Calgary came into this game with very little to play for. The Stamps tied a record for 15 wins in a season and won 8 games on the road. Jon Cornish won the rushing title and only played 9 games. Bo Levi Mitchell was a first year starter at quarterback for the Stramps.

Our B.C. Lions have been going in one direction since the 2012 playoff loss. Mike Benevedes inherited a Grey Cup winning team. He had an experienced offensive coordinator in Chapdelaine, who had revamped his offence in 2011 and basically left alone, had the best offence in the CFL in 2012. Benevedes, in his rookie Head Coaching season, brought in vet Rich Stublerm, who would lead the defence to break many CFL records. All Benevedes really had to do was hand out ice cream treats, put new slogans in the dressing room, and respond to interviews about his relationship with Wally, as the media and press wrote up 'feel good's stories about mentor Wally and Mini-Me Benevedes.

But eventually, a Head Coach, has to earn his stripes the hard way. He has to truly lead and teach, as well as motivate. When the time arrived for that, Benevedes could not answer the call.

Our Leos finished this season with a 4-5 home record and disappointed crowds. We've gone from being a team that was unstoppable at home for many seasons to a team that cannot play well in our own house. The mystique of our Leos playing at home in B.C. place, is gone.

Our Leos were simply outclassed last night. Once you get past the differences in coaching, the next big difference is on offensive line. Calgary's offensive line not only opens holes for its running backs but does a great job of protecting its quarterbacks. Put Kevin Glenn back in a Calgary uniform last night and he would have looked like a very different quarterback.

Mark Washington had looked like he was going to enjoy a truly excellent first season as our defensive coordinator. But in the last 2 games the wheels have come off. We gave up 559 yards against Edmonton and 469 yards last night against Calgary. Worst of all, we gave up 414 yards in the air.

Eventually, if you don't solve your weaknesses, teams will find them and exploit them. We haven't gotten enough pressure on quarterbacks all season. We have a free safety who might as well be a pilon. There is no tougher position to play on pass defense than short side halfback. Now try playing that spot without free safety help. Cord Parks, playing the short side halfback spot for the first time this season, has had a very tough job. So have all our other defensive backs. So, punishing Parks, by taking him out of the lineup, was not the answer. Punishing Dante Marsh, an 11 year vet, in the way Benevedes did, was not the answer.

The answers were that we need to get a better pass rush, we need to blitz better, we need a decent free safety, and we need an offence to move the football, so that our defense is not out on the field too often.

What we have is a tired, dispirited defense who have played their hearts out and they were the ones who were singled out by Wally as the problem with lineup changes when they have been our backbone for most of this season. That was not the solution and now they are probably even more dispirited.

On offence, Khari Jones has mainly tried to do it by himself. Mike Benevedes has no clue as to how to help Khari Jones. Dorazio cannot provide him with the protection his quarterback needs. Joe PaoPao cannot give him the veteran experience and insights that would help. Jones is basically alone, cannot come up with the solutions on his own, and does not have a surrounding cast who can help him.

Chuck McMann is Chuck McMann, another Buono sycophant, whose penalty laden special teams, continue to play medicre football with the occasional flash which creates hope, before crashing down to medocrity again.

OFFENCE :thdn: :thdn:

Great to see Stefan Logan back in the lineup and performng well. Logan showed that he still has enough 'stuff'' to make a differnce in a playoff game. Ernest Jackson showed that he can get open and Arsenault made a big catch.

However, 5 sacks, too much pressure, and a vanilla passing attack, spelled another offensive game in which we failed to put enough points on the board.

DEFENCE :thdn: :thdn:

Jamal Johnson played well enough in Bighill's spot, Hufmann showed once again that he can come into the lineup and play well. We did a decent job on run defense. But we didn't get any consistent quarterback pressure or sacks. LaRose was torched for what was the turning point of the game and also dropped a sure interception, keeping him at one interception in 8 seasons while playing free safety - astounding.

With Marsh back in the lineup playing with a new shortside half in Lee, and with Yell back at wide-side half, it was too many changes in the secondary, no quarterback pressure and no free safety, and once again our pass defense was dismal.

Our defense was our one huge strength we were going to rely on going into the playoffs this year. With a very solid defense, the hope was our offence could get it together for a couple of playoff games.

Now we are going into the playoffs, looking like the wheels are starting to come off.

WRAP

Not sure what our Leos can do in one week of practice, before a playoff game. Somehow they have to try to get it together. Wally cannot be a happy guy. No playoff revenue last year or this year. The team Prez also blows over a million dollars on a guaranteed win night. His protege is losing his team. Not a good scenario.

A very short time to get this team prepared and ready to win a playoff game. This will be an interesting week.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I saw what BCFAN saw...a team desperately trying to get the Eastern Div crossover spot...which is pathetic and an indictment all the way up to Wally! The logic of trying or hoping to lose so that you can then win is BEYOND DUMB! CGY was ripe for the picking last night...they played the same way against WPG last week and got beat by a team who had lost 8 in a row...they kicked the snot out of us last night running nothing but VANILLA systems with a lot of back up players. Glenn completed a lot of passes for a decent yard total, but he should have, CGY was giving up EVERYTHING UNDERNEATH with little or no blitzing. Glenn should NOT have been dinking and dunking all night, especially with Logan running as hard as he did...we should have been pushing the ball down the seams looking for big plays. And with all of that, we still were the keystone cops in the red zone...BRUTAL!

Defence? Washington must have felt at home last night, calling such a "soft" game...we should have done EVERYTHING we could have to win that game and try to get the ship righted, but that lacklustre effort and performance (coming off of the disaster in EDM) ONLY further accentuates our problems...even good teams have a hard time turning it on and off, forget about lacklustre teams like the Lions.

Going East, on the road, in winter, is not easy...MTL, HAM and TOR all played well down the stretch...anyone here, or on the Lions, that thinks we are just going to waltz into HAM or MTL and beat them with our OFFENCE, Sts, and Washington's predictable, passive defence, is merely kidding themselves. This team is a mess, sadly with lots of talent and depth...and until the whole staff is fired and a BRAND NEW system is brought in here by someone with knowledge and an edge (like Chris Jones), this mess is only going to continue.

A big BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! to the Lions for mailing in that game, from the players right up to Buono! Trying to win by losing? Hmm, what would Einstein say???
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein