Stampeders vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Attendance 33,752
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

They stick with Glenn for almost the whole game and put Partridge in to get sacked with twenty seconds remaining? :tp:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:Ten seconds from the three minute warning and they call a timeout?
Ten seconds away from ceding it, that's why it was called. Use or lose it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:That challenge will fail...

So you challenge while your player is dumb and plays it like a dumb 12 year old.. he should be reminding his player what PI is instead.

Just shows Mikey is detached from the game.
I watched it live and agree, complete waste of a challenge. TBH I was wondering why the official was so slow flagging it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Bobbyp wrote:Why doesnt TSN do the commercial during the challenge?
Because — as I learned during my own pique of frustration earlier this season — apparently the guys in the Command Centre in Toronto can only review the play by watching the TSN broadcast and whatever same replays they happen to offer to the fan watching from his sofa. So — nothing can happen during an ad break.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Sounds like the lions are trying to make the most of it This Friday I do understand about security measures because of Ottawa, but man on a Friday night , with how slow things will be to get in , I predict that we will not see half the fans show up as it is a Friday night and too slow to get into the building and most off all nothing to play for with both teams , that is why I am staying away.

But I am still a big fan
There was nothing slow about it. I showed up at the gate around 6:45pm and there wasn't even a lineup. Got through in no time. If anything it might actually have been the easiest time of it I had all year.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:One penalty for Calgary and eight for the Lions in the first half
I think it's a new league by-law that the Lions have to have eight bad things and only one good thing happen to them in the first half of every game from now on.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:They stick with Glenn for almost the whole game and put Partridge in to get sacked with twenty seconds remaining? :tp:
I fail to see the logic on that move. Another questionable move by Benevides.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

After Manny's TD late in the 2nd quarter, I thought OK the Lions have a chance. And then the Stamps march down the field with ease and score a TD. That is when I knew the Lions were done and I thought about leaving then and there as I was headed to Sun Peaks after the game.

The Lions did move the ball in the 3rd but no finish. It is very frustrating to only come away with 3 points in the entire second half.

As far as saying with Glenn all game, I can see the point of view that says Glenn gives the Lions the best chance to win. The problem is that Glenn has never been the kind of QB to take a team on his back and force a win so to speak. He needs time in the pocket and receivers who get open.

Realistically does anyone think that there would have been a different result with Beck in there? OTOH it would have been nice to see what we got in Beck for next year.

Can we make it official: the Lions special teams are an embarrassment. :puke:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Can we make it official: the Lions special teams are an embarrassment. :puke:
We actually ended up with slightly better average field position on the night (own 35.8 for us, versus own 34.3 for Cgy). Problem was Cgy had held the edge until about midway through Q3 and mounted a 24-13 lead in the process. Then came Logan's 38yd punt return to set us up well into Cgy territory, but we couldn't even get a first down on that drive and had to settle for a FG to cut it to 24-16, only to have Cgy answer right back with one of their own, 27-16.

Then on our next drive Glenn threw his second of two passes picked off near the Cgy goal line, which they parlayed into another FG, 30-16. Next drive, we turned it over on downs — throwing for 4 yards when it's 3rd & 8? :sigh:

Still over 7 minutes left, still a slim chance — but then Cgy proceeds to march the ball 73yds for five first downs, taking nearly five minutes off the clock and kicking yet another FG to make it 33-16 with under 2:30 left, and that was pretty much it.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Glenn threw for over 300 yards (admittedly, both teams were using vanilla defences) and his two interceptions were the result of bad routes by a receiver. He wasn't the problem. I agree with leaving him to try to lead the team from behind. It's a key situation the Lions are likely to face in the playoffs.