Stampeders vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

In all probability last home game for the Lions this season including the Grey Cup. Which Lion team will show up ? Calgary resting Jon Cornish (out with a concussion) and Maurice Price. Drew Tate starting in place of Bo Levi Mitchell. Heard a rumour that Benevides is buying ice cream for the team if they win.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Some notes from the Lions' weekly game day email:
It’s the final regular season home game for the Leos as they welcome the first-place Calgary Stampeders to BC Place for their only visit of the 2014 season tomorrow night. Kick-off is at 7:00pm.

This game is proudly presented by TELUS - who will be distributing 10,000 thundersticks to fans in the lower bowl end zones.
Thundersticks, woo-hoo.
With Remembrance Day just a week away, the Lions are honoured to pay tribute to our armed forces personnel with Friday night’s Salute to Veterans. Fans attending the game are encouraged to remain in their seats during halftime to acknowledge these distinguished men and women.
This has become the de rigueur halftime show for the season closer. :thup:
Due to recent events it's important you are aware of various security measures taking place in advance of going to the game. You may want to allow for a little more extra time than usual to get through the gates, as there will be a large crowd on hand and BC Place security will be maintaining their policy on 100% bag checks while also increasing pat down checks. To avoid delays we recommend avoiding bringing bags or extra items if possible.
I guess this means the Oct 22 shooting in Ott.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

Sounds like the lions are trying to make the most of it This Friday I do understand about security measures because of Ottawa, but man on a Friday night , with how slow things will be to get in , I predict that we will not see half the fans show up as it is a Friday night and too slow to get into the building and most off all nothing to play for with both teams , that is why I am staying away.

But I am still a big fan
David
Team Captain

Huge changes for tomorrow:

Logan in (Antolin sits). Brown backing him up.

Marsh in (Torri Williams sits). Jamall Johnson replaces Bighill (hand) with Hoffman-Ellis behind him.

On the D-line, Khreem Smith sits (rib injury). Westerman in his place. Dixon listed ahead of Taylor, then Mitchell and Olson draw in with Lohr and Menard backing them up at tackle and end, respectively. Wally pretty much spelled out on his radio interview that there would be changes this week ("I have a say in who plays"). I guess this means they haven't been too pleased with the play of Alex Bazzie (who was dominant for a stretch early in the season but has likely hit the proverbial rookie wall).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

T.J. Lee also starts at HB ahead of Cord Parks. Fans complain about a lack of offence and the Lions replace half the starters on defence. This will be interesting.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Huge changes for tomorrow:

Logan in (Antolin sits). Brown backing him up.

Marsh in (Torri Williams sits). Jamall Johnson replaces Bighill (wrist) with Hoffman-Ellis behind him.

On the D-line, Khreem Smith sits (rib injury). Westerman in his place. Dixon listed ahead of Taylor, then Mitchell and Olson draw in with Lohr and Menard backing them up at tackle and end, respectively. Wally pretty much spelled out on his radio interview that there would be changes this week ("I have a say in who plays"). I guess this means they haven't been too pleased with the play of Alex Bazzie (who was dominant for a stretch early in the season but has likely hit the proverbial rookie wall).

So much for that's "Benevides' team". Wally not happy with the lineup that Benevides been fielding.
David
Team Captain

Yup, interesting TheLionKing. It's not a good sign when we see/hear Wally front and center in the media. It means he feels the need to assert himself as the face of the franchise to get the message out to the fans (whatever narrative he's looking to weave - when things are going well, we rarely hear from him as it's "Mike's team," ever notice that?). Monday's message was "games like Edmonton will not be tolerated." While he was softer on Benevides in his TSN1040 interview, he left no mistake to listeners that he would have a say in who's playing and who's not playing tomorrow.

Yes, that's interesting about Cord Parks, BCFAN. He struggled against the Esks I thought, but has played pretty well this year even though his INTs are way down (the exception being the Argo game at BC Place when he got torched deep by Ricky Ray, but he's done that to a lot of DBs).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:T.J. Lee also starts at HB ahead of Cord Parks. Fans complain about a lack of offence and the Lions replace half the starters on defence. This will be interesting.
:rotf: Great point!
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:T.J. Lee also starts at HB ahead of Cord Parks. Fans complain about a lack of offence and the Lions replace half the starters on defence. This will be interesting.
:rotf: Great point!
Can you imagine if the offense did change the same number of players as the D is changing? They can't function after 17 + 2 games, let alone the final exhibition game of the season. One good offensive display in 17 games, and that one against the worst team in the league. Thankfully games are won on the back of how good your D is, but if your O is as putrid as the Lions is this season, they can give up TD's to lose those efforts.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote: I guess this means they haven't been too pleased with the play of Alex Bazzie (who was dominant for a stretch early in the season but has likely hit the proverbial rookie wall).

I think that's sometimes the case for guys coming out of college who have been used to a 12 game schedule and now find themselves having to endure game 18, 19 or whatever.
leo4life
All Star

Heard Kevin Glenn and Khari Jones were dancing after the walk through LOL.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Heard Kevin Glenn and Khari Jones were dancing after the walk through LOL.
Why not ? They had free ice cream compliments of Benny. :wink:
leo4life
All Star

Free ice cream win or lose LOL
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Early Stampeder lead 3-0
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Nice cutback by Logan