Dear Ticket Purchaser

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

How much value did you get for your BC Lion ticket(s) purchase for 2014?

100%
19%
80 - 99%
19%
70 - 79%
No votes
60 - 69%
No votes
50 - 59%
14%
49% below
48%

Total votes: 21
Rammer
Team Captain

Just wondering how many fans here feel that they got their value on their ticket purchase investment. Remembering that this is for the home games only, based on entertainment and commitment from the Lions to keep you invested with the team.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I didn't vote because I don't know how to put a % value or lack of value on my disappointment with the BC Lions. Instead I will vote with my wallet and not purchase my usual 3-Pak for 2015.

I may still time a trip from Victoria to the Lower Mainline with a BC Lions home game. I should have no trouble finding good single game seats next season. Of course this is assuming that there are some positive coaching changes and improved play; otherwise I am better off dozing off on my sofa while watching a Lions game in my living room as opposed to spending big $ to sit on my hands for 3 hours at BC Place.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I didn't vote because I don't know how to put a % value or lack of value on my disappointment with the BC Lions. Instead I will vote with my wallet and not purchase my usual 3-Pak for 2015.

I may still time a trip from Victoria to the Lower Mainline with a BC Lions home game. I should have no trouble finding good single game seats next season. Of course this is assuming that there are some positive coaching changes and improved play; otherwise I am better off dozing off on my sofa while watching a Lions game in my living room as opposed to spending big $ to sit on my hands for 3 hours at BC Place.
It is also unfair as the final game between the Lions and Stamps hasn't been played out. With the potential of a loss moving the Lions to the crossover, and the game looking to be a third pre-season game, the value may be depleted further.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:It is also unfair as the final game between the Lions and Stamps hasn't been played out. With the potential of a loss moving the Lions to the crossover, and the game looking to be a third pre-season game, the value may be depleted further.
The fact the Calgary game is more like a pre-season affair dips me below 50 percent.

My breakdown:

3 real stinkers: Edmonton, Winnipeg (July visit), Saskatchewan. Three putrid 2nd half offensive performances. Only a FG (vs Edmonton) in six quarters at BC Place. Almost unthinkable during the Wally era.

Dominated home game: vs. Toronto: Down 21-9 at the half and 28-9 after 3 quarters.

Full value games: wins over Montreal, Hamilton, Winnipeg (Sept visit), Ottawa.

ST holders shortchanged this year. If offensive woes weren't bad enough, got to see Montreal and Hamilton at their worst when they had QB issues. Both completely different teams since Labour Day with Crompton and a healthy Collaros. Who knows .... might have been two more losses if both were firing on all cylinders then.
The one Western team to visit twice was Winnipeg which we got to witness their Jeckel and Hyde season.

Bombers moving to the West meant potetnial 2nd visits by traditional rivals Sask, Edm and Calgary were replaced by their return visit and Ottawa.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

To steal a phrase used by fishermen, a bad day of football beats a good day of anything else. I don't consider this a bad season, since the Lions have a winning record and are in the playoffs for an 18th straight season. I've been a fan of the team, win or lose, for over 50 years. There have been many truly bad seasons in that span. The team's record doesn't enter into my decision to purchase tickets, or to watch games on TV or by whatever means are available.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:To steal a phrase used by fishermen, a bad day of football beats a good day of anything else. I don't consider this a bad season, since the Lions have a winning record and are in the playoffs for an 18th straight season. I've been a fan of the team, win or lose, for over 50 years. There have been many truly bad seasons in that span. The team's record doesn't enter into my decision to purchase tickets, or to watch games on TV or by whatever means are available.
Good for you BCF, but for me the quality of play becomes a factor.
Beating Ottawa 7-5 :puke:
Keeping opponents to 0 TD and still losing, at least twice IIRC: :puke:
No ability to surprise the opponent with plays designed to exploit weaknesses: :puke:
Great D but limited run stop capability: :puke:
Posturing and statements by the HC: :clown:
Penalaties=lack of discipline is on the Head :clown:
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:To steal a phrase used by fishermen, a bad day of football beats a good day of anything else. I don't consider this a bad season, since the Lions have a winning record and are in the playoffs for an 18th straight season. I've been a fan of the team, win or lose, for over 50 years. There have been many truly bad seasons in that span. The team's record doesn't enter into my decision to purchase tickets, or to watch games on TV or by whatever means are available.
Back in the day the Lions weren't competitive, but there was still some offensive capability. In today's Lions, there might be 5 games without an offensive TD by the Lions. FG's don't exactly get you to rise out of your seat, tell friends about 'the play', or at least casual fans. I like defensive football, it wins football games, but even with the Lions D, the Lions have difficulty winning games. While the Lions are 'boasting' a winning record in 2014, that could turn to be 500 ball after the weekends game. ST holders are paying full dollar for a preseason game, and a final game that neither team will be showing much on schemes (just in case they meet in the WDF), and are going to be resting key players. Toss in the Rider and Bomber games here that the Lions lost and that is 4 of the home games that don't get value IMO, and then as Sammy elaborated on the two games the Lions didn't show up for in the second half.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I voted below 49%. Boring, boring, boring. Inability to score touchdowns, tired of Glenn throwing interceptions, tired of receivers dropping passes, tired of seeing our QB's getting sacked. For $68.90 (X3) I expect to see more than Paul McCallum kicking field goals.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:It is also unfair as the final game between the Lions and Stamps hasn't been played out. With the potential of a loss moving the Lions to the crossover, and the game looking to be a third pre-season game, the value may be depleted further.
Does that matter? More often than not the Lions' last game of the season is meaningless for one team or the other, if not both as it was last year. This year there actually is a bit of playoff placement intrigue. Last year there was none whatsoever IIRC.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:Back in the day the Lions weren't competitive, but there was still some offensive capability. In today's Lions, there might be 5 games without an offensive TD by the Lions. FG's don't exactly get you to rise out of your seat, tell friends about 'the play', or at least casual fans.
There's a bit of that going around though.

Offensive TDs:

CGY - 49
EDM - 38
TOR - 36
BCL - 32
WPG - 32
SSK - 31
HAM - 28
MTL - 26
OTT - 24
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Rammer wrote:Back in the day the Lions weren't competitive, but there was still some offensive capability. In today's Lions, there might be 5 games without an offensive TD by the Lions. FG's don't exactly get you to rise out of your seat, tell friends about 'the play', or at least casual fans.

Offensive TDs:

CGY - 49
EDM - 38
TOR - 36
BCL - 32
WPG - 32
SSK - 31
HAM - 28
MTL - 26
OTT - 24
Good point. The trend to more defensive-oriented, lower-scoring football extends across the league. By most measures, the Lions rank around the middle of the pack offensively and near the top defensively. Around here, that's considered a bad season by some people.
jmc24
Rookie

I couldn't agree more. Yes , this season has been fairly disappointing as far as excitement level is concerned but I too do not factor that in when renewing my seasons tix for another year. Remember the great span from 2004 - 2008? If we bail on the Lions in this situation, do we need to pay extra for exciting football.. and wins.. and division titles?.. NO. The BC Lions are like family to me and I will support them win or lose....Not blindly of course...If a bad owner steps in or if the club is badly mis-managed , that's a different story but we aren't there yet ( please fire Benny though ). Football is SO MUCH BETTER live. I'll be back , for a 20th straight year...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Won a prize (from the name of the game contest)...... therefore I voted 100%.

Things worked out well. The guarantee win night that ended up getting me a free ticket for my girlfriend, allowed her to come with me prior to the stadium opening for a photo op.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, without winning a PRIZE that was worth more than my season ticket, I'm not so sure 100% would have been my answer. I guess, I'd say 80 percent. I love watching the BC D and there have been some really big plays on Specials. That being said, the BIG PLAYS on offence were so rare that when they did happen, they were EXCITING.....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Hambone wrote:

Offensive TDs:

CGY - 49
EDM - 38
TOR - 36
BCL - 32
WPG - 32
SSK - 31
HAM - 28
MTL - 26
OTT - 24
Good point. The trend to more defensive-oriented, lower-scoring football extends across the league. By most measures, the Lions rank around the middle of the pack offensively and near the top defensively. Around here, that's considered a bad season by some people.
All the same, we've had too many TDless games on offence, second only to expansion Ott. Mtl is tied with us — but most of their offensive woes came pre-Crompton/Garcia/etc. And if I'm not mistaken, we're one of the few teams to have a seasoned starting QB at the helm every week.

(NB: Tor played two games in week eight with five TDs on offence in the 1st and one in the 2nd for the total of 6 shown here).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Hambone wrote:

Offensive TDs:

CGY - 49
EDM - 38
TOR - 36
BCL - 32
WPG - 32
SSK - 31
HAM - 28
MTL - 26
OTT - 24
All the same, we've had too many TDless games on offence, second only to expansion Ott. Mtl is tied with us — but most of their offensive woes came pre-Crompton/Garcia/etc. And if I'm not mistaken, we're one of the few teams to have a seasoned starting QB at the helm every week.

(NB: Tor played two games in week eight with five TDs on offence in the 1st and one in the 2nd for the total of 6 shown here).
Not all those are showing offensive TD/s either, a few are by the D and ST's. That of course goes for all teams, but the O were TD'less for 5 games...no O TD in a loss to the Riders IIRC.