BC Place - Megaproject

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I'm sure others have seen this before but they are showing Megaroof: Rebuilding of BC Place on Knowledge HD on Shaw right now up here in PG. It's being replayed again at 11:00 tonight and 6:00pm tomorrow night. Very interesting.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:I'm sure others have seen this before but they are showing Megaroof: Rebuilding of BC Place on Knowledge HD on Shaw right now up here in PG. It's being replayed again at 11:00 tonight and 6:00pm tomorrow night. Very interesting.
Yes, I recall we had a thread about it a couple of years ago where someone even posted a youtube video of it, but "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Discovery International" is what you get when you try to open it now.

Speaking of the roof I wonder how it's holding up with some of the heavy rain we've had so far this fall. It was in the news a couple months ago that the roof sprang a leak during a Whitecaps game.

There was also a story two weeks ago on CTV's website entitled "Public never told about falling debris at BC Place", an article which IMHO seems a little biased. The article really refers to risk of falling debris while opening/closing the roof, back in 2012 (and now presumably no longer the case), which is never done with the public in attendance anyway (except on opening night 2011/09/30 when it went off without a hitch).

There's also reference to a "widely-reported leaking problem [that] has been mocked repeatedly over the years" but I don't know about that. This isn't Montreal's Olympic Stadium we're talking about. The original roof collapsed in Jan 2007 some 23-24 years after installation as it was nearing the end of its originally forecast lifespan and there was the Whitecaps incident (incorrectly reported in the article as occurring during a Lions game). I'm not aware of any other "repeated mocking".
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Well, there's that part where they manufacture drama about the transition from the Lions opener to the Whitecaps opener but, other than that, it was a good show.