Wally reacts to Saturday's humiliation in Edmonton.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Ugh... LU said on his weekly podcast today Benevides was given a 2-year extension now just one and is under contract through the 2016 season. Chalk that up as one of the biggest Buono blunders during his 14 years here.
I see that as a parting gift from Buono to Benevides for all his tenure. Can't say that I blame Wally, as he was as loyal a soldier under Wally's watch, plus it doesn't cost the Lions any SMS cap room. This was a swim or sink year for Benevides and as such the contract was either going to move forward with Benevides or it was a golden handshake. Looks like it is shaping up to be of the golden variety.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:I'm sorry but the thought that the players don't want to win is completely laughable. It's one of these fan-made conspiracies that is so completely out of touch that anyone on that roster, from the top guy to the bottom guy on the practice roster would completely laugh off that idea.

These guys are professionals. They get paid to do this. It's their job and their livelihood. They are a proud bunch, and they all badly want to win that Grey Cup. They want to play well because playing well means more money on their next contract for some, and for others it means they'll have a job next year doing what they love to do. To suggest they're deliberately playing poorly because they want to get their coach fired, is also career suicide for some.

There's a lot of fan-made conspiracies that I hear, both on the boards and talking to people outside. But this is one of the most ridiculous ones I've heard in a while.

:whs: .........I will admit though I have been guilty of some of those fan-made conspiracies.... :wink:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

notahomer wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:I'm sorry but the thought that the players don't want to win is completely laughable. It's one of these fan-made conspiracies that is so completely out of touch that anyone on that roster, from the top guy to the bottom guy on the practice roster would completely laugh off that idea.

These guys are professionals. They get paid to do this. It's their job and their livelihood. They are a proud bunch, and they all badly want to win that Grey Cup. They want to play well because playing well means more money on their next contract for some, and for others it means they'll have a job next year doing what they love to do. To suggest they're deliberately playing poorly because they want to get their coach fired, is also career suicide for some.

There's a lot of fan-made conspiracies that I hear, both on the boards and talking to people outside. But this is one of the most ridiculous ones I've heard in a while.

:whs: .........I will admit though I have been guilty of some of those fan-made conspiracies.... :wink:

I don't think players try to loose in order to get the coach fired very often if ever, but when a coach does a lot of ranting, not much teaching, not much strategies, and not building up confidence, then players will tune him out. This pretty much is what happened to Kavis Read. There were consequences.
The_Pauser
Legend

DanoT wrote:
I don't think players try to loose in order to get the coach fired very often if ever, but when a coach does a lot of ranting, not much teaching, not much strategies, and not building up confidence, then players will tune him out. This pretty much is what happened to Kavis Read. There were consequences.
I agree that could definitely be happening in this case. Especially when it's purely a "motivational" coach and not much else, the message gets old, the act gets stale, and players will tune it all out. I just hope that doesn't cost us in the playoffs, but then again our offensive scheme is so horrendous that we might not be able to over come it.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Ugh... LU said on his weekly podcast today Benevides was given a 2-year extension now just one and is under contract through the 2016 season. Chalk that up as one of the biggest Buono blunders during his 14 years here.
I see that as a parting gift from Buono to Benevides for all his tenure. Can't say that I blame Wally, as he was as loyal a soldier under Wally's watch, plus it doesn't cost the Lions any SMS cap room. This was a swim or sink year for Benevides and as such the contract was either going to move forward with Benevides or it was a golden handshake. Looks like it is shaping up to be of the golden variety.
We'll know soon enough
Big Time
Champion

Some thoughts on the MB extension.

First, we don't know whether he gets paid in full if he gets fired. The CFL is not like the NHL or NFL. For all we know, Wally can turf MB and MB gets little compensation. Remember all the talk about John Torterella getting paid for the full term of his 5 year deal with the Canucks? He only got half when he got canned.

Second, if MB has lost the room which I believe he has, no respectable franchise would keep the coach to save a few bucks. Not even in the CFL. I don't believe his extension will be a factor if Wally believes MB has to go.

Third, as a fan, I don't give a crap if firing MB costs the Lions a ton of money. The team comes first. I don't know what CFL coaches make in terms of salary but even a full salary for three years is not going to break the bank. Let's be real here.

My own sense is that if the Lions flame out in the playoffs, MB is gone. His contract is irrelevant.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:Some thoughts on the MB extension.

First, we don't know whether he gets paid in full if he gets fired. The CFL is not like the NHL or NFL. For all we know, Wally can turf MB and MB gets little compensation. Remember all the talk about John Torterella getting paid for the full term of his 5 year deal with the Canucks? He only got half when he got canned.

Second, if MB has lost the room which I believe he has, no respectable franchise would keep the coach to save a few bucks. Not even in the CFL. I don't believe his extension will be a factor if Wally believes MB has to go.

Third, as a fan, I don't give a crap if firing MB costs the Lions a ton of money. The team comes first. I don't know what CFL coaches make in terms of salary but even a full salary for three years is not going to break the bank. Let's be real here.

My own sense is that if the Lions flame out in the playoffs, MB is gone. His contract is irrelevant.
He gets the full year left in full with the legal obligation that the fired employee must try to mitigate the loss - that is look for work and not turn a job just to let the payments continue.

I raised my eyebrows when Greg Marshall appeared at the Lions training facility and basically said he was taking a vacation after being fired by the Riders after quite a time period IIRC. I was waiting for the Riders to be threatening legal action.

In precedent cases the law requires that in a judgment the plaintiff must mitigate - or in the case of a contract being paid out they will stipulate this in the final agreement that the person will make efforts to find work.

When they do get work there is often a provision to negotiate a final settlement offer forcing at times the plaintiff to take the difference only in between a lesser pay than and the one he had before.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Not sure if anyone listened to Wally's interview on TSN1040 the other day, but he significantly toned down the rhetoric, especially as it pertains to the Head Coach. Unfortunately, he succumbed to the "this was an exceptional year" bit in which he tells listeners that you can't use injuries as an excuse....then proceeds to do just that! Problem is, we could all see issues early in the season when we had a full compliment of starters (save for Travis). I suppose the club would likely explain that away as "new coordinator, new terminology, getting players on the same page etc." (BTW, Wally said he wants Lulay back for camp next year)

Also, notice how we haven't had access to the locker room in several weeks? Not even after the Bomber win in which John Beck was presented the game ball. No more pregame speeches on TSN/postgame speeches etc. By design? Hell yea!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:Not sure if anyone listened to Wally's interview on TSN1040 the other day, but he significantly toned down the rhetoric, especially as it pertains to the Head Coach. Unfortunately, he succumbed to the "this was an exceptional year" bit in which he tells listeners that you can't use injuries as an excuse....then proceeds to do just that! Problem is, we could all see issues early in the season when we had a full compliment of starters (save for Travis). I suppose the club would likely explain that away as "new coordinator, new terminology, getting players on the same page etc." (BTW, Wally said he wants Lulay back for camp next year)DH :cool:
Not in the least surprising. Boilerplate for the mass audience. Not necessarily his true feelings or intentions, however. Still, I think Benevides will be back in 2015. Hope I'm wrong....
JohnHenry
Champion

The salaries of CFL head coaches and OC/DC coordinators are guaranteed for the length of their contract. There is no buyout unless the coach and team choose to negotiate a settlement (i.e. G. Cortez took a reported $700k settlement for the final years of his Ticat contract, after he signed as OC with the Riders). If the fired coach takes another job in professional football during the term of his contract, then his new salary is normally deducted from what his previous team owes him. That's why coordinators will sometimes "volunteer" with their new club for one season, while collecting a full salary from their old team (as Jamie Barrisi did with B.C. after he was fired as the Ticats OC.)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:The salaries of CFL head coaches and OC/DC coordinators are guaranteed for the length of their contract. There is no buyout unless the coach and team choose to negotiate a settlement (i.e. G. Cortez took a reported $700k settlement for the final years of his Ticat contract, after he signed as OC with the Riders). If the fired coach takes another job in professional football during the term of his contract, then his new salary is normally deducted from what his previous team owes him. That's why coordinators will sometimes "volunteer" with their new club for one season, while collecting a full salary from their old team (as Jamie Barrisi did with B.C. after he was fired as the Ticats OC.)
It has nothing to do where he takes another job - football or elsewhere. As to volunteering in legal terms the other team could take that coach to court and if they prove there was a job there to take get their payout reduced.

It is the legal precedence set by the Supreme Court of Canada that force a person to mitigate the loss.

There is often contract language that provides for termination and payouts or continuation of payments as per the set schedule and terms for reduction if other work is taken.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote: Also, notice how we haven't had access to the locker room in several weeks? Not even after the Bomber win in which John Beck was presented the game ball. No more pregame speeches on TSN/postgame speeches etc. By design? Hell yea!

They had one after the Lions clinch a playoff spot. Shows Benevides said something about going to the "dance" (playoffs). It then showed Benny doing a dance. Video has since been removed.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
David wrote:I don't think Marc Trestman will be back in the Chicago next year, but I am not sure if he will be coming back to Canada anytime soon. I believe he will have O-coordinator opportunities in the NFL and/or head coaching in US college.

I would be just as happy with Scott Milanovich, whom I have heard has not been happy with the situation in Toronto this year and all of the inherent challenges there. He's a HC with an offensive mind, which is what we need. I just don't know his contractual situation and whether he has an out clause. Milanovich has overcome a lot with the circus in Toronto and his teams always seem well prepared. I really like his dealings with the media too. I have watched several scrums and pressers of his this year.

I don't think the problems in Chicago are as much MT's failings as they are being saddled with a mercurial, phlegmatic, diffident (albeit immensely talented) QB with a massive long term contract. For Bears fans and CFL fans who wish MT success in the NFL, this Onion article isn't as funny as one might think:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/bears- ... e-g,37314/

EDIT: Dumb typo
The Bears problems start with a Defense that is too old. Cutler is only one part of the problem.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Not sure if anyone listened to Wally's interview on TSN1040 the other day, but he significantly toned down the rhetoric, especially as it pertains to the Head Coach. Unfortunately, he succumbed to the "this was an exceptional year" bit in which he tells listeners that you can't use injuries as an excuse....then proceeds to do just that! Problem is, we could all see issues early in the season when we had a full compliment of starters (save for Travis). I suppose the club would likely explain that away as "new coordinator, new terminology, getting players on the same page etc." (BTW, Wally said he wants Lulay back for camp next year)

Also, notice how we haven't had access to the locker room in several weeks? Not even after the Bomber win in which John Beck was presented the game ball. No more pregame speeches on TSN/postgame speeches etc. By design? Hell yea!

Yes, and good points David based on what I remember of the interview. Definately remember him saying Lulay is the hope but you can't plan for then now considering this year ain't complete yet......
The one thing I remember (maybe it was Wally on TSN radio) or Benevides (also on a TSN show) talking about how this is being set up ala 1994. BC Lions go on the road and beat Edmonton, BC Lions then go and so the same thing in Calgary before returning home to play in the Grey Cup.

Sounded weird because IT MEANS NOTHING. Yes, the 2011 and 1994 Lions are both examples of teams that looked terrible that then went on to playoff success AT HOME. But what does that really have to do with 2014? NOTHING, IMO. Just that its possible.

There was a point when Buono was asked about the Lions next home game (meaning the Grey Cup) but he just said something along the lines of 'we'd hope to'.....
The other common comment made by Benevides/Buono and BC Lions players is that the Stamps home game is FAN APPRECIATION NIGHT and that the best way they can appreciate the FANS is to get that loss behind them and provide their BC LIons fans a WIN.....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

David wrote:...........Also, notice how we haven't had access to the locker room in several weeks? Not even after the Bomber win in which John Beck was presented the game ball. No more pregame speeches on TSN/postgame speeches etc. By design? Hell yea!

Well I guess they decided a pre-game video was worth showing..... http://bclions.com/video/index/id/105861