Wally reacts to Saturday's humiliation in Edmonton.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

As expected, Saturday's debacle did not sit well with Wally. He was seething at halftime when interviewed on TSN1040 radio, and it actually got worse from there!
Wally Buono wrote: News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

#BCLions gm Wally Buono says, "Games like Saturday in Edmonton, get gm's and coaches fired".
Interesting comment here. Finally it's not a case of "the players didn't execute."
Wally Buono wrote:News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

More Bouno : "It's B.S we lost that way. Mike didn't coach well, players didn't play well, the heat is on all of us".

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Talk about tossing the HC under the bus...lol.

That is about as bad a statement on a HC that I've ever heard by a GM.

Wally should get some heat - not be fired - but let's face it gang - despite our protestations he hired junior Wally.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Most encouraging words I have heard all season from him. Hope he went into the lockerroom after the game or even for the rundown back in Surrey yesterday and delivered similar words to the players and coaching staff. Skulsky needs to step up too as club president.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:As expected, Saturday's debacle did not sit well with Wally. He was seething at halftime when interviewed on TSN1040 radio, and it actually got worse from there!
Wally Buono wrote: News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

#BCLions gm Wally Buono says, "Games like Saturday in Edmonton, get gm's and coaches fired".
Interesting comment here. Finally it's not a case of "the players didn't execute."
Wally Buono wrote:News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

More Bouno : "It's B.S we lost that way. Mike didn't coach well, players didn't play well, the heat is on all of us".

That places the onus on the re-match should the Lions make the WDSF. Make the WDSF game respectable, or face a second game of being outcoached with the "the heat is on" statement should provide an interesting off season. I am not sure but IIRC one of the Esks players celebrated with an assitant coach mocking the Lions sideline celebrations with their coaching staff. The Esks have all the right to mock the Lions during that game, and especially that antic which is old by the sounds of this board, let alone in the league.

So now comes the question, which way do you want that potential game to go? Win and another season of Benevides, or lose and potentially a coaching change.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think Benevides stays win or loose in the playoffs. K. Jones might get canned or get some help for next year and hopefully Dorazio and McMann are sacrificed.

I would like to see Jones gone and replaced by Jeff Garcia. Hopefully being on the west coast nearer to his California home and a desire to be a OC are enough of an attraction.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I think Benevides stays win or loose in the playoffs. K. Jones might get canned or get some help for next year and hopefully Dorazio and McMann are sacrificed.

I would like to see Jones gone and replaced by Jeff Garcia. Hopefully being on the west coast nearer to his California home and a desire to be a OC are enough of an attraction.
Garcia brings good name recognition and a Wally association, but he must be enjoying the ride in Montreal since his arrival there.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm pleased to hear Wally was miffed at Saturday's results. Now the big question is whether he will actually do something about it and not think this is just a bump on the road.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I'm pleased to hear Wally was miffed at Saturday's results. Now the big question is whether he will actually do something about it and not think this is just a bump on the road.
He just did as much as we will ever know, unless Benevides is fired and that won't happen until the off season. Even at that Wally may just pull the plug on his time with the Lions and leave the current mess for somebody else to clean up.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

What I liked about his comment is he stated "GM's" being fired too. Its easy to blame others but I think he made an attempt to include himself and make it clear changes are needed, including from him.

May not seem key to some but IMO, saying "YOU GUYS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH" and "WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH" are two different things......
David
Team Captain

Actually notahomer, the most telling statement wasn't pinning some blame on himself. That I would have expected.

No, to me it was "...Mike didn't coach well," not "the coaches didn't coach well." To directly name the HC as being partially responsible for a beatdown loss in a crucial game against a division foe, is quite unusual to say the least. On the Blitz rating system, that statement was worth "two Bene Belly Bumps." :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Actually notahomer, the most telling statement wasn't pinning some blame on himself. That I would have expected.

No, to me it was "...Mike didn't coach well," not "the coaches didn't coach well." To directly name the HC as being partially responsible for a beatdown loss in a crucial game against a division foe, is quite unusual to say the least. On the Blitz rating system, that statement was worth "two Bene Belly Bumps." :wink:

:rotf: and nice alliteration on the touche tummy touches...... :wink:
David
Team Captain

I can't take any credit for that. It was Blitz's rating system. I can only take credit for the symbol for this rating system. Thus, 2 Bene Belly Bumps is noted as:

)(
)(

...or maybe after this weekend it should be:

:clown: :clown:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Actually notahomer, the most telling statement wasn't pinning some blame on himself. That I would have expected.

It also cost the team any attendance increase due to 2nd place being on the line for the final home game and a home playoff date. Showing no capability of competing with the Esks, you have to think that Benevides and company lost a large number fans down the stretch drive of the season. Losing to Montreal early in the season, cost the Lions on giving away a game. Which isn't bad considering the teams response could have been playing playoff football like the Als have had to, but of course we know that Lions don't execute that way.

:clown: )( :clown:
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:What I liked about his comment is he stated "GM's" being fired too. Its easy to blame others but I think he made an attempt to include himself and make it clear changes are needed, including from him.

May not seem key to some but IMO, saying "YOU GUYS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH" and "WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH" are two different things......
Yeah...I see it that way too--Wally including himself in the indictment. I think that when he said that "Mike didn't coach well, players didn't play well, the heat is on all of us" he was just saying that everyone in the organization is responsible and must be held accountable. I don't see this as singling Benevides out particularly, but mentioning him as one part (but only one part) of the problem with the team. It's a statement that I find hope in.
LionsLip
Rookie

It will be interesting to see how many fans show up to Friday nights game against Calgary........ regardless of the Lion's troubles, if I lived in Vancouver, I would still go out and support them!