Esks crush the Lions 37-3 -- Post Mortems and Stats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dat
Rookie

Blitz wrote- " Benny wanted Chapdelaine gone because he felt the fans didn't have confidence in him and perception was reality when it came to attendance ".

This year is BC's worst point output since 1979 (and that was even with 2 games against Ottawa this year) and with a lot of fans complaining about the supposed poor coaching-----------interesting isn't it ? Didn't see any post game coaching interviews on the Lions website or the news. Wonder how many fans will want to renew tickets after watching this group. I don't include the defence in this. Regardless of what they do coaching wise I think they need to make a change in the type of some of the players they have and opt for bigger and more physical. One of BC's few first downs was a swing pass to Lumbala where he put his head down and broke a few tackles. I think we should abandon the 175 pound Logan scatback type and go back to someone like a Messam who can run over people. Other than Eric Taylor and occasionally Khreem Smith we need more push on the D line. Bazzie is athletic but a little undersized. I still am optimistic that if they make some good moves in the off season they can get back to respectability. They need a solid RB, another good D lineman and a kick returner. ( Tim Brown did a good job here but is there anything left). Coaching ? Let's see what happens the last few games of the season.

DAT
ziggy
Legend

cromartie wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:Many pundits here were calling for John Beck to start the game after last week's performance, but he didn't look so hot either. Was that the coaches fault? But he had the same coaches last week? There must be more to this than just coaching... :violin:
Ladies and Gentleman, the last holdout of "the game plan was fine, the players just didn't execute." :tp:
I'm with him! Coaching is part of the problem but certainly not all of it. We were out played ,out coached and out worked. We also have some talent issues, particularly at QB , but it to isn't our only challenge!
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Ziggy, you can't say that we have a talent issue at QB...we started the season with Lulay and Glenn at QB...that's a CFL coaches dream tandem, with NFL vet John Beck backing them up. Sorry, but that was the best QB situation in the league and a LOT BETTER than CGY's UNdynamic duo.

The reality is, this coaching staff has allowed all three of our QBs to consistently be steamrolled game in and game out...Andrew Harris was having a big season, because he was doing impossible things to get yards, on almost every play Harris was pushing himself to the limit to make plays without much help. He was injured doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING!

Blitz, I have quit being critical of the Offence because it is beyond a joke and not worth saying the same things over and over and over again. I wanted CHAP gone because he was stubbornly trying to run a system that didn't work with our Ass't Coaches and personnel, and that for CHAPS to change it took a gun to the head. I was tired of that. CHAPS is a very smart guy and innovative Offensive mind, light years ahead of Jones, but either Chaps needed to stay with bigger packages and commitment to the run or he needed to demand a new OL coach...he did NEITHER.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
longtimefan
Starter

An interesting "read". I believe that Wally has outlived his "best b4 date" at this point. Defense has been good but Khari is a second string OC just as he was as a QB imho. Chappy would at least do something when the fire was lit under his feet, not always but and this hurts, I'd rather see him back than have Khari continue as OC. Dorazio has to go !!!. Time for a change from top to bottom. David Braley must be cringing when he looks at the potential money he'd lose if he sold the team now. I live in Winnipeg ...not a fan of the team....and see the potential for the Lions to possibly replicate what has befallen the Bombers unless major changes are made. A question...non coach of the year...Bennie or Mike O'Shea...my vote goes to Bennie
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Esks changed coaching and culture.

Lions changed coaching and culture with Benny trying desperately to be no more than a mini-Wally with a few new wrinkles tossed in such as a better interview (at least he was to start his HC career - now not so much) and chest bumps and animation on the sideline as he focuses on how to act in front of the cameras - and fans now see what some of his saw when he was DC.

Mini-Wally doesn't cut it in the pros.

The culture of the team has changed - eroded - and it's no longer a culture of winning other than the D seems to be decent - for the most part but not matched by the offense. The malaise on offense is at the feet of the coaches.

If Khari came in and interviewed and said to the Lions this was his offense would a decent HC hire him? I doubt it.

When your team practices missed field goals by rolling over and practicing playing dead like a bunch of obedient dogs you know your team is in trouble. Some of these new QB drills are dumb too....stutter step one way and blindly throw to a guy who is dead ass standing still and not moving. Why practice INTs - REC learn to stand still and not get the ball (by the way that drill is not even putting the ball downfield more than a few yards) and the QB learns to toss INTs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
leo4life
All Star

Any one catch the 1410 post game interview? A emotional Benny said "Next time we meet those clowns we will be ready" (Eskimos) LOL.Ok Benny you got taken to school by a rookie HC twice this season.They say the third time is the charm,well it will be your going away party along with a few others hopefully.
South Pender
Legend

ziggy wrote:I'm with him! Coaching is part of the problem but certainly not all of it. We were out played ,out coached and out worked. We also have some talent issues, particularly at QB , but it to isn't our only challenge!
I agree with ziggy and JohnHenry. Certainly offensive scheming has been...um...offensive, but I'm not sure the coaches are to blame for lack of drive and poor play on the part of the players. It could be argued that good (and credible) coaches would have the players playing up to their talent level, but the players have to have sufficient pride and commitment to give their best regardless of the game plan. I don't think we've seen this from the players at all times. There's plenty of blame to go around here, and a lot is properly directed at the HC, OC, and O-line coach--but not all of it. I also disagree with the notion that we have the best talent in the CFL. For sure we have some talented players (and I don't see Kevin Glenn as the problem), but our O-line has continued to be a problem for the offense, and, although much of this is undoubtedly on Dorazio, some of the poor play is surely on the players--both talent- and effort-wise. Just my $.02.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

leo4life wrote:Any one catch the 1410 post game interview? A emotional Benny said "Next time we meet those clowns we will be ready" (Eskimos) LOL.Ok Benny you got taken to school by a rookie HC twice this season.They say the third time is the charm,well it will be your going away party along with a few others hopefully.
I heard the interview and thought "Clowns?", :dizzy: the Lions and their coaches were the clowns, the Esks were the Lion Tamers.
leo4life
All Star

Benny continues to choose the wrong words time and time again...hes not respected by many imho
ziggy
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:Ziggy, you can't say that we have a talent issue at QB...we started the season with Lulay and Glenn at QB...that's a CFL coaches dream tandem, with NFL vet John Beck backing them up. Sorry, but that was the best QB situation in the league and a LOT BETTER than CGY's UNdynamic duo.

The reality is, this coaching staff has allowed all three of our QBs to consistently be steamrolled game in and game out...Andrew Harris was having a big season, because he was doing impossible things to get yards, on almost every play Harris was pushing himself to the limit to make plays without much help. He was injured doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING!

Blitz, I have quit being critical of the Offence because it is beyond a joke and not worth saying the same things over and over and over again. I wanted CHAP gone because he was stubbornly trying to run a system that didn't work with our Ass't Coaches and personnel, and that for CHAPS to change it took a gun to the head. I was tired of that. CHAPS is a very smart guy and innovative Offensive mind, light years ahead of Jones, but either Chaps needed to stay with bigger packages and commitment to the run or he needed to demand a new OL coach...he did NEITHER.
Well MLF I think I can say we lack talent at QB. Travis has been injured and has not played significant minutes this year, doubt that's a coaches dream. Glenn is a backup at best ,who lacks mobility, accuracy and maybe even desire, once again not a coaches dream. Beck is a 33 year old NFL journeyman learning the CFL game. I'd say we currently are very weak at QB! Don't let disdain for the coaching blind you to the obvious other issues.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Any one catch the 1410 post game interview? A emotional Benny said "Next time we meet those clowns we will be ready" (Eskimos) LOL.Ok Benny you got taken to school by a rookie HC twice this season.They say the third time is the charm,well it will be your going away party along with a few others hopefully.
Calling the Eskimoes clowns after the way they outcoached, outscheme, outplayed your team ? Better look yourself in the mirror Benny
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Long time season ticket holder. Believe me when I say I've seen some terrible Lion teams over the years from Paul Brothers, Don Moorhead, Major Harris etc. but the performance against Edmonton was the worst. 10 completions and a mere 7 first downs in a game is a travesty. I agree with other posters that this team has given up on the so called coaching staff. Wally Buono has been exempt from criticisms because of his Hall of Fame stature and coaching record. That is all in the past. What has he done lately. Since appointing Benevides as his replacement this team has steadily regress season after season. I'm frankly tired of seeing his sideline cheerleading and hearing his hyperbolic comments. Time to clean house and start over again. If no major changes are made in the off season it won't be surprising if the Lions are playing in front of less than 20,000 fans again.
ballhawk
Legend

During the Als - Argos game today Dunigan said, regarding the Als mercurial rise in the Eastern standings from the ashes, "the Als have the talent, they just didn't have the system." The same could probably be said of the Lions - they just don't have the system, forlornly evident on the offensive side of the ball through the season.

My image of the Lions on offense is that of Glenn darting around in a panic in the backfield (even when he is not rushed), limiting his field of vision, and throwing bullet 5 yard passes mainly to the two slot positions occupied by Taylor/Jackson and Arceneaux/Tuinei, ignoring other receivers, particularly the wide-outs. So often it has been 3rd and 3.

Is it Glenn's fault or a fault in the system? Likely a combination of both.

Glenn is both a saviour and a disappointment. Without the acquisition of Glenn at the start of the season the Lions wold have found themselves in a real pickle. He came in for the short-term, ready to relinquish QB duties to Lulay when he was ready, no later than mid-season. As we are all too well aware, Lulay suffered a setback, and Glenn became the man pretty well for the rest of the season. Without Glenn the Lions would not be 9-8 and in play-off contention; with Glenn the Lions, on offense, have been mediocre on most counts through the season. You can't have your cake and eat it too! In my opinion, the Lion's main problem has been at QB (if Lulay was available this discussion board would be entirely different). But I do agree, there is a system problem with the Lions - the scheme, play-calling, game plan, whatever you want to call it needs total overhauling. (By the way, I don't mean to be overly critical of Glenn; I appreciated his play over the years, but perhaps like Burris, age is creeping in as a major factor in a performance sport like football)

I do not want to put down the defense because they have generally been great. A bad game against Edmonton for sure, but let's just say that Edmonton was particularly stellar on that evening. I don't think the defense deserves criticism for the season they have had.

One last thing. I spend many, many days watching the Lions training camp sessions. The Lions have two young Canadian receivers that are going to make there mark on this team and in this league as wide-outs in the future. Time and time again they made spectacular plays. I'm referring to Adekolu and Tomusiak. Obviously, this year the Lion's decided to stick with age and expeience. Let's see what happens to this receiving group next year with a healthy Lulay and the new offensive scheme.

I'm not giving up on the Lions. I will continue to support them and attend games. This is my team. The pinnacle of success may not be immediate. It might take a couple of years or five. So be it.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Interesting choice of words. IMO, the Esks certainly did NOT act unprofessionally in their play. They came and dominated a team the way I wish the Lions would @ BC PLace. Clowns? Not getting it.... :dizzy:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What does it say about Benevides' ability to prepare his team to be ready ?