Esks crush the Lions 37-3 -- Post Mortems and Stats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulrophobia

Coulrophoobia, a fear of clowns...... I really shouldn't make fun because some people are genuinely afraid of clowns....

Regardless, I certainly do NOT put the Eskimos in that category. The only POSSIBLE clownish type behaviour is the goofy tumbling/somesaulting they do but there is an easy way to get them to stop doing it, DO NOT LET THEM GET TO THE QB
Big Time
Champion

So many good posts here. Can't touch upon it all. I'll add my two cents and try to keep it brief.

- Benny calling the Esks clowns after they beat BC 37-3? If you want a summary of why Bene is out of his league as a head coach in the CFL, this sums it up.

- ALL of the Lions problems go back to coaching. Terrible play calling? Coaching. Lack of discipline? Coaching. Inconsistency? Coaching. Unprepared for games? Coaching. Sure, you can blame the players but the coach is setting them up to fail. Can't act surprised when they do.

- Reading between the lines from comments by Wally, Bene, and some of the veterans, this team is on the verge of a player mutiny. A healthy Dante Marsh sitting on the sidelines? This guy was supposed to bring you leadership yet it sounds like they want him to sit until an attitude adjustment. Sounds to me like Marsh is saying things the coaches don't want to hear. I've met Marsh on a number of occasions. He doesn't beat around the bush. I suspect that many of the vets are feeling the same way. This team is in absolute turmoil.

- Bene's comments both in the media and on the sidelines show me a man who is at a loss on how to fix his problems.

Quite frankly, Bene calling another franchise clowns, even if it was off the cuff, is unprofessional and flat out ridiculous. The only clown I'm seeing is the head coach that can't keep his emotions in check both on and off the field. He's one loss away from pulling a Kavis Reed. Remember his meltdown last year? I knew he was toast the second I saw it happen. I feel the same way about Benevides.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I would like to see Mike Benevides apply for the CFL Commissioner job.

Can we draft him into the job?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Well said, Big Time. And you are not a fan that complains or criticizes much, it seems to me.

Player mutiny? We are not privy to the room, nor to the private conversations of the players. But this we know ... We know how they play. And many of the players mailed that performance in. Many. And that is on the coaches. Starting with the coach that called the Edmonton team clowns. Well there are many guys on that Edmonton team that garner much respect. Paris Jackson. Jarious Jackson. Mike Reilly. On and on ... A serious, hard working, professional team.

Benny's comment is baloney, blather and bull shoot. He does run his mouth. He does posture.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

This total thrashing of the Lions by the Esks got me to thinking. When was the last time the Lions looked like someone had done film work, found tendencies in the opposition, and then figured out ways to exploit the opponent? And the answer this season is: NEVER

In the past I have refrained from being a Benevides critic. Initially I even liked his interviews as a refreshing change from Wally's cliches. However after 3 years of MB I find him to be a :clown:, and then he ends up describing himself in his post game interview not the Eskimos :clown: :
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
leo4life wrote:Any one catch the 1410 post game interview? A emotional Benny said "Next time we meet those clowns we will be ready" (Eskimos) LOL.Ok Benny you got taken to school by a rookie HC twice this season.They say the third time is the charm,well it will be your going away party along with a few others hopefully.
What does it say about Benevides' ability to prepare his team to be ready ?
Benny is losing it and is the most unfocused he's been since taking over. His message is unclear - may as well just rant like Kavis Reed. They aren't listening to him and can only listen to their coordinators and position coaches. Unity of command went out the door a long ago.

Other than calling the Eskimos clowns to paraphrase Hufnagel pre a Stamps GC game - the lions have the Esks exactly where they want them. The Esks think their pussycats, lousy, uninspired and could come out in the playoffs flat and be out of the playoffs and on to the Stamps where Glenn can feel comfortable and do them too.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Now I understand why Jarius Jackson, Barron Miles, Dave Dickenson, Paul LaPolice and unrestricted free agents don't want to come to BC and be part of the Barnum and Bailey circus act.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/11/03 ... k-quickly/

Adam Bighill had surgery today to fix a broken hand, will hopefully be back for the SemiFinal round of playoffs....
cromartie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:This total thrashing of the Lions by the Esks got me to thinking. When was the last time the Lions looked like someone had done film work, found tendencies in the opposition, and then figured out ways to exploit the opponent? And the answer this season is: NEVER
And you've hit upon the thing that vexes me the most about this franchise, and really this goes all the way back to Wally. "We play our game, and make other people beat us at it."

That's a nice theory, but it doesn't work in reality. As many people have noted on here, the coaching staffs across the league are too good, and the talent nowadays is too evenly matched to persist in that philosophy. That is one thing that absolutely comes to Wally, and it needs to change with the next staff.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/11/03 ... k-quickly/

Adam Bighill had surgery today to fix a broken hand, will hopefully be back for the SemiFinal round of playoffs....
If you saw Bighill take the ALS challenge, you know this guy has mind over matter in spades. He is going to be in that game with a leagues 4th best tackle record of 77, no doubt in my mind.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I agree Rammer, Biggie will play and will be at his best...phenomenal player, a warrior, who Mark Washington asks to play like Baryshnikov. No matter how well our D has done statistically this year, there is no way this type of Defence gets it done in a one game, winner take all format. With the cover guys that we have (in abundance), and with three aggressive, athletic LBs our D should play an aggressive style...flat out!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
notahomer wrote:http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/11/03 ... k-quickly/

If you saw Bighill take the ALS challenge, you know this guy has mind over matter in spades. He is going to be in that game with a leagues 4th best tackle record of 77, no doubt in my mind.
Well I heard somewhere (TSN radio probably and also LU from the Province) that Bighill had to have help putting his socks on after the game. Not putting him down, I know what major injuries like broken feet/hands are like. Glad he's on the way back. I had little doubt that if it was just DESIRE for him to get back, he will I'm sure, but sometimes the medical staff might still say, not quite yet. Doesn't sound like it'll be the case for Biggie...