Leos/Eskimos Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Our 9-7 Leos take on the 11-5 Edmonton Eskimos on Saturday in a key game that will play a role in playoff matchups.

Lets have a closer look at the potential outcomes, as reported in the Province, as our Leos play their last two games of the season.
PLAYOFF PICTURE
Here’s the scenarios facing the 9-7 Lions heading into the final two weeks of the CFL’s regular season:
Lions finish second if …
B.C. beats Edmonton by at least eight points, defeats Calgary at home Nov. 7 and Edmonton loses or ties at Saskatchewan Nov. 8.
Lions finish third if …
B.C. loses to Edmonton and finishes even in points with 9-8 Saskatchewan.
Lions finish fourth if …
B.C. loses twice and Saskatchewan wins its remaining game, sending the Lions to the crossover playoff.
This game will be a battle between the two best defenses in the CFL. Our Lions still allow the fewest points but our has dropped behind Edmonton in yards allowed because we've has been vulnerable to the run. It’s a potentially huge factor Saturday.

On offence our Leos will have to play a lot better than we did against Winnipeg, where we were losing going into the fourth quarter. Glenn was injured in that game but will likely return to starters spot with John Beck, who threw two key touchdown passes against Winnipeg in the fourth quarter in reserve. Travis Lulay remains on the injury reserve list, a move to save our Leos money against the cap but will be pulled from the injury reserve list for the playoffs. Mike Reilly will start for Edmonton.

Kevin Glenn has thrown for 3,538 yards this season while Reilly has tossed passes for less yardage at 3,039 yards. Reilly spots a slightly better passing average (64.9%) to Glenn's 62.7% and also has a slightly better quarterback efficiency average(89.0) to Glenn's 86.8%

Offensively Edmonton has scored 438 points to our 361 points. Edmonton averages 354 yard of offence per game to our 338 yards. Edmonton has given up 313 points while we have given up less at 295 points. Edmonton has moved into 1st place in the CFL in terms of least yards against, only giving up 296 yds per game to our 292 yards against. Overall, looking at points for and against for both teams, the odds favor Edmonton.

Sol E. has an opportunity in this game to break the CFL record for tackles in a season. Marsh tried to practice this week but will be out for this game as a starter again (and perhaps may not get his spot back with Yell and Lee playing so well.

Here are my KEYS TO THE GAME

WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE

In the infamous words of B.C. Fan, winning the turnover battle is often the key to victory. In a game between two teams that are closely matched it becomes even more important. Our 10 sacks against Winnipeg showed what pressure can do and Parks key interception in the fourth quarter was the turning point in that game. But those sacks came against a medicore Bombers offensive lien and against a quarterback who was badly beaten up physically and mentally before that game began.

David Menard, with this two sacks last game, showed his potential and Smith still has a motor. Westerman has looked good as a starter over Mitchell but its time for Bazzie to step up this game. Odell Willis, with 13 sacks and 5 fumbles is a defensive player our offence needs to pay special attention to because his pressure can create turnovers.

Our Leos are a Plus 6 (3rd in the CFL) for the season in the takeway/giveaway category while Edmonton is close behind with a Plus 5. However, Edmonton has created more turnovers than our defense and this is an area in which we could step up.

WIN THE SPECIAL TEAMS BATTLE

A second area that can be a difference maker in a key matchup is special teams. Our Leos have finally seen the light regarding Iannuzzi as a receiver and are giving deserved opportunities to Haidara and Adekolu (who deserves reps) But step down on the depth chart for Innazuzzi, combined with the desire to use 3 imports on the offensive line and more import recievers gave Iannuzzi, the former college punt returner, a chance to be our return man last game and he took advantage of the opportunity.

Iannuuzzi has looked good in the past in his limited opportunities as a returner but last game he showed excellent potential with his 168-yard return game against the Bombers, not to mention a 92-yard kickoff return score that was called back to penalty.

WRAP

Lots of key battles in this game with two excellent defenses. My keys to the game - turnovers and special teams - could be key difference makers in a game that will likely say a lot about where each team is at, as the playoffs loom.

Go Leos go!! :rockin: :beauty: :roar:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Expectations regarding the Eskimos' offence versus our defence.

* Eskimos will try to establish the run. Solo is waiting. D Line is waiting. I expect the Eskimos will have some good game prep in this battle. I expect Mark W will have his guys well prepped also.

* Oh yeah. Reilly is very dangerous on planned and improvised runs. Big guy. Covers ground fast.

* Will our stout pass defence be challenged by a creative game plan? Dunno ... But our pass defence has been outstanding. The talent of our DBs is as good or better than any I recall seeing with our team.

* Will we be able to pressure the QB? Not like last game, methinks.

* Will we use the blitz effectively? Not like last game, methinks.

Expectations of our offence vs the defence of the Eskmos.

Hmmmm ...

What do we get from our Leos? Dunno ...

Jones will have prep for Earnest Jackson. Enough prep, or is EJ just too big for most CFL DBs? Will EJ keep his tremendous mental preparation to go along with his huge physical skills?

Will we have a pop gun passing game? Dunno ... We seem to have the makings of a good passing attack.

Will Jones blitz Kevin Glenn into the ground?

Will Jones stuff our run game?

Will Odell Willis run our O Line ragged?

Will we be able to establish a run game? Dunno ... It will be tough.

This game will tell us much about our team, our season, our Head Coach, our O Line coach, our ST coach, our overall preparation, our chances for success in the playoffs, and on into the future. Could this be a passing of the guard from a former "flagship of the league," us, to a new contender for that honour, under Chris Jones?

We have hopes. We will see ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Wonder how many of us are secretly hoping the Eskimos will win? Not me, I'm willing to have to shell out more $$$ so I can watch a Western Semi @ the DOME.
----------------------------------------------
I have seen the BC Lions come out with a strong performance DURING ROAD games in these kinds of instances. I fully expect this will be another time when the Road version of the Lions will put in a strong performance, especially since it is important.
Hope to see a strong dose of RUN. There is a nasty edge that is being sharpened by this version of the O-line. I hope to see some of the SummerSaulting D-line be SMASHED. good solid game with big version of run can not only set up time for our passing game, but keep ex-Lion Mike R. off of the field.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions need to keep the ball away from Mike Reilly and the offence. Ball control. Run the ball effectively. Keep Reilly in the pocket, don't let him outside
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz has already quoted the first of my three keys but I'll repeat it here:

1. Win the turnover battle. The Lions lost the turnover battle 5-1 in the season opener against Edmonton, including a career-high four interceptions thrown by Kevin Glenn. The Esks needed all of those turnovers to pull off a come-from-behind 27-20 victory. I don't expect a repeat of that performance.

2. Keep Mike Reilly in the pocket. Reilly is most dangerous when he scrambles. The Lion pass rushers need to be disciplined and they probably need to keep Bighill or another linebacker at home to spy on Reilly in passing situations.

3. Outpass the Esks. Turnovers and rushing yards are the stats that most closely correlate wih victories but the B.C. offence has emerged lately on the strength of the passing game, especially at the hands of Ernest Jackson. If Jackson and colleagues can pick up more yards than Adarius Bowman and his Eskimo colleagues, the Lions should be able to put up the points they need to win the season series.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Elimimian needs to stop Reilly from running, but I think the Esks will be game planning to get a guy on him or run plays away from him. I would like to see Bighill do more in run stopping and less dropping into pass coverage.

Antolin needs another big game and he will get it if the O line performs. :cr:

Iannuzzi needs another solid game as a returner to cement his new KR position long term. :cr:
David
Team Captain

Simple. If the Esks' 3-headed backfield monster of John White, Kendial Lawrence, and Mike Reilly are allowed to gash the Lions' defense like Paris Cotton did last week, we'll have about as much chance of walking out of Commonwealth Stadium with a "W" on a cold November afternoon as Jian Ghomeshi has of getting $50 million out of the CBC!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
LionsLip
Rookie

....all of the above mentioned plus all the undeciplined penalities that could have cost us the game against Winnipeg!
Blitz
Team Captain

Good article on Jarious Jackson in the Vancouver Sun today.

Interesting that so many ex-Leos are now Edmonton Eskimos. They not only include Jarious Jackson, Mike Reilly, and now Paris Jackson, who will start for the Eskimos against our Leos but also Hugh O'Neil, Justin Sorensen, Adam Baboulas, Andrew Jones, Akeem Foster and Cauchy Muamba ..and all were originally drafted by B.C.

Paris Jackson believes our Leos are missing a veteran presence...saying that without vet leadership its 'like the blind leading the deaf".

While I hope our defense has a great game, I won't be sad to see Paris Jackson make a couple of nice catches in the game today.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Facing Mike Reilly in this game, it certainly gives pause to the notion that, if Lulay had hurt his shoulder earlier than he did, Mike Reilly would likely be our starting quarterback right now. Lulay has missed a ton of games since Reilly went to Edmonton at the end of 2012 whereas Reilly has been a key to the Eskimos resurgance as a football team.

The Eskimos consider his intangibles — "his leadership, along with his ability to rally the troops and a refusal to quit — that makes him such a valuable part of the Eskimos’ success this season. That and his legs. He’s seventh in the league in rushing, with 72 carries for 562 yards and six touchdowns"
JohnHenry
Champion

Blitz wrote:Facing Mike Reilly in this game, it certainly gives pause to the notion that, if Lulay had hurt his shoulder earlier than he did, Mike Reilly would likely be our starting quarterback right now. Lulay has missed a ton of games since Reilly went to Edmonton at the end of 2012 whereas Reilly has been a key to the Eskimos resurgance as a football team.

The Eskimos consider his intangibles — "his leadership, along with his ability to rally the troops and a refusal to quit — that makes him such a valuable part of the Eskimos’ success this season. That and his legs. He’s seventh in the league in rushing, with 72 carries for 562 yards and six touchdowns"
Few would have envisioned Travis suffering multiple shoulder injuries. When healthy, he's equal or superior to Reilly in every facet of the game...including leadership, his ability to rally the troops and refusal to quit. While Reilly is a frequent scrambler, Travis has a higher rushing average and is much better at evading the rush (taking far fewer sacks and hard hits as Reilly). Travis is also a better passer by a considerable margin, passing for 59 Tds with only 16 Ints during the Lions incredible run from the 7th game of 2011 through 2012 (incl. playoffs). Travis had a passer rating of over 100 through that stretch, while Reilly is nowhere near that mark. Travis won the GC MVP and league MOP. Reilly currently sits 7th in QB passing this year with 18 Tds - 10 Int and a 89 passer rating.

I won't even begin to list all the superlatives Lulay brings to the table. Reilly is a very good QB but he's no Travis Lulay. Would I want a healthy Reilly over an injured Lulay? I guess you'd have to lean toward Reilly in 20/20 hindsight...but when Travis gets healthy, it will be no contest.

The Lions need to keep Reilly in the pocket today, where he struggles to find his receivers. The DE's need to contain Mike rather than try to lunge at him for the sack...and the Lions should prevail today! :thup:
green road kill
Rookie

Well guys it"s crunch time, playoffs are here and our Leo's are facing a tough division rival.The Esks are very good and well coached team, but there is reson to believe our Leo"s can lay some hurt on these guys.

WIN UGLY ( LOOSE PRITTY)

Last week the Lion's did just that ,but an ugly win beats a pritty loss any day of the week.The main point to be taken from that game, is that despite all the penelties and sloppy play,when the game hung in the ballence , they dug in and got the win . Something that has not happend verry offtin this year.
Edmonton is a good team ,here are some reasons to think we have a shot.

THE O LINE

Finally, finally we have a group that has played together fore more than a quater with out at least one guy ,having a season ending injury , and it is realy starting to show.The better this group gets, the better we will be.

MANNY EJ.

Both of them are big fast strong inside recievers and will give the Esk db"s fits.

UNCHAIN THE DOGS.

Last week we came with pressure and it showed 10 sacks, will it be as easy today no, but Rielly is human ,hit him enough times and it will tell .the Esk run game ,BIGGY SOLE SICKEM

The last game here the Esks didn"t look anything like world beaters, it was more a case of IMPLODING ROAD KILL that gave them a win.The Lion chances could be better than alot of people think