Have some Leos played their last games?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:Interesting topic although maybe a bit insensitive. There are several names here that resonate for me as long shots to be here next year or if they do return are likely to be relegated to backup status for less pay. I won't put names to my list at this time but there are a few on this squad who may not be able to compete with some of the newer faces who have filled in admirably when called upon to do so.
My intention wasn't to be insensitive. More an observation with the thought that all too often during the trials and tribulations of an ongoing season we as fans get caught up with the "now" moment. We don't look at players such as these and reflect back on what they've contributed until suddenly they're gone. My thinking is to recognize that their time as Lions may be soon coming to an end so that if they do get back into the lineup I can reflect and appreciate them while they are on the field for perhaps the last time.
I understand completely and I didn't mean to suggest anything unkind in my comments. However it is easy sometimes to overlook sometimes that we are talking about people's jobs. I am as guilty as the next person. You can imagine how you might feel if there was lots of public speculation about whether you were going to have your job next year. You probably wouldn't feel great about that no matter how fair the comments might be. These boards do get viewed by players from time to time and as such it just seems like it might be too easy for some to interpret the message in a more negative way. No offence was meant.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:I don't think the Riders DOGGEDLY pursued Burris. They would've inquired for sure. ..........So yes I believe the Riders did inquire but were politely told to take a hike. It's a difficult trade to try and swing when the player in question would be valued so much differently by the two potential trading partners.
Fair enough. I used the word doggedly in large part to one of those truth can be stranger than fiction. IOW, heard rumours and chatter about Burris/Riders due to Durants injury and I wrongly assumed it was just Riderfan mumbojumbo. So, when it came out that they had ACTUALLY inquired....I was surprised although it all makes sense the Riders would try......
peeby
Starter

I liked the heartless comment early on. Made in jest, but a good one. Me? I don't see any comments here that are out of line like in many forums or comment sections. BC Lion players would be crazy to read these things, but it'd be terrific if Wally Buono or Mike Benevides did. My knowledge of football is barely a spit in the ocean compared to what these guys know. However, within that spit, I (and others in this forum) can see some things they don't appear to see. Sometimes.

The game was changing to a running game? I believe that's why Jamal Johnson was brought in. I don't notice it changing. Well, next year when that guy with the hyphenated name who's been on the practice roster all year gets his chance, he'll still be inexperienced. He could have played this year without us losing anything in the bargain. Who really thought bringing in Jamal was a good idea but Wally? He replaced an older player with another older player (McKenzie).

By the by, feel free to use the spit analogy anytime. The other one that came to mind was being so far into a forest that you can't really see it for the trees. I think you see that in pro sports from coaches and gms. Again, hopefully none of the players read these things, but it's a good 'here's my two cents' place for people who've paid some big bucks to see some lesser football this year.
LionsLip
Rookie

I'm not sure about Tim Brown, but he kind of reminds me of Ian Smart.
The_Pauser
Legend

LionsLip wrote:I'm not sure about Tim Brown, but he kind of reminds me of Ian Smart.
I think one of Brown or Logan will be back. Obviously Harris will be back, and I think Antolin has won himself a job. That leaves one spot for Brown or Logan, and I think they'll likely keep Brown who's younger and cheaper.
Roar you Lions roar!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I wish a few coaches were close to their last game with BC.. KJ, MB.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I wish a few coaches were close to their last game with BC.. KJ, MB.
God I hope so :cr: :cr:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:I wish a few coaches were close to their last game with BC.. KJ, MB.
BUT the only firings will be those not in control - Joe P is their fall guy. That's the pattern here.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
BUT the only firings will be those not in control - Joe P is their fall guy. That's the pattern here.
Hate to say it but you're probably right. It's going to more of the same old, same old. Going to be interesting to see how this season will affect season ticket renewals.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I won't be renewing my 3-Pak. What is the point as there will be plenty of good seats available as a last minute walk up. In fact there will be so few fans in that large building in 2015 that it will be easier to introduce the fans at the start of a game instead of the players.

I may change my mind if they fire the coaching staff or at least the guys on the O side of the ball. Normally I don't advocate the firing of a HC unless there is an adequate replacement available. Since the Lions looked worse than a high school team out there, the Lions might as well look to the high school coaching ranks for replacements.

Some high school trick plays could have produced more than 1 first down and 3 points in the first half. 7 first downs in the game vs 30 by Esks????

Some players and SOME COACHES better have played their last game or a lot of fans will have seen their last game.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

LionsLip wrote:I'm not sure about Tim Brown, but he kind of reminds me of Ian Smart.
Brown is better than Smart was. Smart was not particularly elusive, and fumbled at the absolute worst times. Brown has better vision, particularly on returns to his left, and is more elusive on those rare opportunities when he could play RB.

If you needed 12 yards on a return, Smart would get you 8, and if you needed 8 yards on a return, Smart would get you 8. Just don't ask him to Juke or accelerate in the open field.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Also,

I think it has been quite some time since we've run across players who wear the uniform that posters on this board have had occasion to publicly not like personally. This particular board, I think, does a very good job of stating our opinions on how players perform professionally. So it isn't really heartless, in my opinion, to discuss who is and isn't likely to return.

These are good, likable, professional men. The march of time and the demands of the business are cruel and unfeeling. To shy away from discussing it isn't really necessary, and to discuss it isn't heartless.

I mean, I love Dante Marsh. Love the effort, love the way he plays and tackles, have really enjoyed watching him play his position. But I understand the school of thought that now views him as expendable. I hope not, but time marches on.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:Also,

I think it has been quite some time since we've run across players who wear the uniform that posters on this board have had occasion to publicly not like personally. This particular board, I think, does a very good job of stating our opinions on how players perform professionally. So it isn't really heartless, in my opinion, to discuss who is and isn't likely to return.

These are good, likable, professional men. The march of time and the demands of the business are cruel and unfeeling. To shy away from discussing it isn't really necessary, and to discuss it isn't heartless.

I mean, I love Dante Marsh. Love the effort, love the way he plays and tackles, have really enjoyed watching him play his position. But I understand the school of thought that now views him as expendable. I hope not, but time marches on.
Well said Cromartie, as we know Lions coaching staff are compiling a grading effort on each player, and whether their stock is on the rise or decline. They have to do this after having their job depend upon the play of a guy like Dante, that has to rather difficult to discuss. I still think that there is room for Dante for another year, but his salary also comes into play, and that may not work in his favour.
Entertainment value = an all time low