NFL airlift arrives

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
David wrote:I am good with these signings. I was hoping some of these guys could have been signed earlier given this should be a "pull out all the stops" Grey Cup hosting season, but I guess they wanted to go by the book and wait for the expanded roster provision.

We needed another 3 technique guy on the line. Jabar has been an improvement on Khalif who's been strangely passive this season, but I have still not been completely happy with the pass rush. Incidentally, I sat next to one of the players on a recent flight back to YVR. He's very impressed with Rob Lohr; called him "a beast."

We've never replaced Korey Williams' breakaway speed so I am interested to see what the two new receivers can offer, probably for next season now. As for Leone, I don't know why Schmitt was nonplussed by the signing. His kick-offs have been great this season and his punting average (44.4) an improvement over McCallum, but it's often "like a box of chocolates." You just never know what you're going to get! Some of his punts he nails - high, tight spirals. A few are of the wounded duck variety - end over end and bounce forward for decent yardage. And then he struggles to positioning the ball at times when punting on the opponents' side of mid-field. Bottom line, they are looking to save cap space next year by having one guy do all 3 facets of kicking.

DH :cool:

I hate to be a nit picker (OK I don't hate it at all) but having only one kicker/punter doesn't save Cap Space as that former second kicker money now goes to a player at another position. So having just one kicker/punter means an additional backup/special teams guy and thus increases overall team depth.
I would say that by using one K/P, then you are saving cap space (one KP equals $100K, vs 2 K/P for $160K) for another position player on the game day roster. They are mutally inclusive of one another. Think how that would have played out this season. We wouldn't have to try and figure out who was the designated I to sit for a game.
Entertainment value = an all time low
The_Pauser
Legend

The comment that struck me the most was when Wally said they're looking for someone who can do it all: kickoffs, field goals, and punts. I guess this is McCallum's last season in BC.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

It might be Dante's last season too, Pauser, judging by Wally's comments in today's Province newspaper (Marsh was on the back cover with the headline, "Dante's Inferno"). Seems the boss was none too pleased that Dante booked off the bye week to head south instead of staying up here to rehab his knee injury (his response was that his trip was booked when the schedule first came out and he noted the bye weeks). He's on a de facto 'suspended' list - see article HERE.

All I know is that it's adding up to a not-so-favourable equation for the future Wall Of Famer (heck, I'd even put him in the Ring Of Honour):

Age (34 next season) + 'old guy' injury (hamstring) + regular injury (knee) + suitable (and cheaper) replacement (TJ Lee) + Wally voicing displeasure in the media = last season in BC.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:It might be Dante's last season too, Pauser, judging by Wally's comments in today's Province newspaper (Marsh was on the back cover with the headline, "Dante's Inferno"). Seems the boss was none too pleased that Dante booked off the bye week to head south instead of staying up here to rehab his knee injury (his response was that his trip was booked when the schedule first came out and he noted the bye weeks). He's on a de facto 'suspended' list - see article HERE.

All I know is that it's adding up to a not-so-favourable equation for the future Wall Of Famer (heck, I'd even put him in the Ring Of Honour):

Age (34 next season) + 'old guy' injury (hamstring) + regular injury (knee) + suitable (and cheaper) replacement (TJ Lee) + Wally voicing displeasure in the media = last season in BC.

Agreed. Events have come together to make it seem inevitable but it's all part of a pre-planned phaseout of older vets in the secondary; Byron Parker last year, Korey Banks this year and Marsh next year. Ryan Phillips probably has a few years left, given his age, but his time will come.
The_Pauser
Legend

David wrote:It might be Dante's last season too, Pauser, judging by Wally's comments in today's Province newspaper (Marsh was on the back cover with the headline, "Dante's Inferno"). Seems the boss was none too pleased that Dante booked off the bye week to head south instead of staying up here to rehab his knee injury (his response was that his trip was booked when the schedule first came out and he noted the bye weeks). He's on a de facto 'suspended' list - see article HERE.

Yeah, and this really sucks for me personally as Dante's one of the guys I've gotten to know personally. I guess that's what happens when you make friends with the veteran players...they get towards the end of their careers and we all know how Wally feels about mid-30's veterans.
Roar you Lions roar!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

That's what I thought too when reading the piece (Dante's last season?). He certainly seems to see the writing on the wall. Wants to do his part but if its elsewhere, okay.... Regardless Lions are getting full effort from him while here......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree with the other posters. I hope it's not true but the evidence points to this season may be Marsh's last in orange and black.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If the Lions could find a way to play an international at free safety next season, Marsh would be my choice.

OTOH, I'd like to see Bo Lokombo given a chance at FS.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:

Agreed. Events have come together to make it seem inevitable but it's all part of a pre-planned phaseout of older vets in the secondary; Byron Parker last year, Korey Banks this year and Marsh next year. Ryan Phillips probably has a few years left, given his age, but his time will come.
The huge risk is that all leave at the same time. It is a complicated issue here with Marsh and his ticket - likely bad judgment on his part but bought cheaper to ensure he got a good price possibly.

When he got the ticket he didn't know he'd be injured and that complicates things.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rodu
Champion

DanoT wrote:If the Lions could find a way to play an international at free safety next season, Marsh would be my choice.

does Lokombo have the speed to play FS? I'd like to have tried Marsh there
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:
DanoT wrote:If the Lions could find a way to play an international at free safety next season, Marsh would be my choice.

does Lokombo have the speed to play FS? I'd like to have tried Marsh there
Heard that the Lions are indeed trying out Lokombo at safety.
South Pender
Legend

Rodu wrote:does Lokombo have the speed to play FS? I'd like to have tried Marsh there
He turned in decent times in the 40 at the combine, averaging around 4.6. Not really outstanding speed for a defensive back, but might be able to compensate by good instincts and hard hitting. Not prototypical size (at 6-2, 225) for a CFL safety. But the Seahawks' Kam Chancellor--regarded by many as one of the very top (if not the top) free safeties in the NFL--is very similar physically, 6-3, 230, and with about the same speed as Lokombo (although with tremendous anticipation and lethal tackling abilities).
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm willing to bet Lokombo is faster than the current FS.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I know Dante is a popular fellow on this board and he had done stellar service over the years but I don't see any loss for him not being on the field. I have felt his game has slipped over the last 2-3 seasons. He isn't that fast, he is an ok tackler but not great IMO, he doesn't seem to be feared by other teams QB's or a interception threat so what is about him that people are worried about losing. I will say his experience is terrific which is what has allowed him to continue at a high level and he seems to be a good character guy. I think he will make a great coach someday and it would be nice if he could be that with the Lions but if it turns out to be his last season, I don't think this is going to be a huge loss. No doubt others will disagree and that is ok.

To be honest, I'm still remember him for stepping OOB's last season on an interception on the 3 or 4 yard line because he was being careless. The next set of offensive plays put Travis on the badly injured list and he hasn't been right since.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
aklawitter
All Star

If there is a duo that know the in and outs of SPIN, it's Wally and LU.