NFL airlift arrives

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rodu
Champion

South Pender wrote:
Rodu wrote:does Lokombo have the speed to play FS? I'd like to have tried Marsh there
He turned in decent times in the 40 at the combine, averaging around 4.6. Not really outstanding speed for a defensive back, but might be able to compensate by good instincts and hard hitting. Not prototypical size (at 6-2, 225) for a CFL safety. But the Seahawks' Kam Chancellor--regarded by many as one of the very top (if not the top) free safeties in the NFL--is very similar physically, 6-3, 230, and with about the same speed as Lokombo (although with tremendous anticipation and lethal tackling abilities).
doesn't hurt that Chancellor plays with one hell of a free safety, on a smaller field
we'll see how he does in the Spring I suppose
David
Team Captain

According to NEWS1130 radio:
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 1h1 hour ago

#BCLions qb Jordan Rodgers will get lots of extra work with coaching staff today. Lions have 1 week to make decision on Rodgers.
They're also reporting that the club will either activate Travis Lulay or put him on the 6-game injured list this Friday. This really muddies the quarterbacking waters for 2015.

Travis Lulay - we all know he's #1 but do you invest in a guy who's one (fairly innocent) hit away from going on the 6-gamer? Or worse. Paralyzing salary too with so much uncertainty.

Kevin Glenn - not surprisingly, his play has picked up lately with better protection up front. Has reduced his interceptions too. But still orchestrates long stretches of "2 and outs" (the $64,000 question: is it him, the receivers, or coordinator?). Glenn is going to be a sought after FA this off-season, although no one is likely to just hand him the starter's role. Wally might have to unless something develops in this area (trade, FA signing, Beck becomes off-the-charts good).

John Beck - played a solid game in emergency 4th quarter duty Saturday (and won his first CFL game), exactly what the club needed from him. Our best short yardage QB in years. Has he shown enough for the past 18 weeks though? He's also a 33-year old journeyman. A great teammate and a "true pro." I only see him coming back though if Lulay retires.

Travis Partridge - intriguing prospect about whom not much is known. Looked solid, poised in preseason but was facing vanilla defences and no "starting 12." I've been told he's looked good at practice, running scout teams but take that for what it's worth. Will likely be invited to camp but will have to show progress.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:According to NEWS1130 radio:

#BCLions qb Jordan Rodgers will get lots of extra work with coaching staff today. Lions have 1 week to make decision on Rodgers.
They're also reporting that the club will either activate Travis Lulay or put him on the 6-game injured list this Friday. This really muddies the quarterbacking waters for 2015.

Travis Lulay - we all know he's #1 but do you invest in a guy who's one (fairly innocent) hit away from going on the 6-gamer? Or worse. Paralyzing salary too with so much uncertainty.

Kevin Glenn - not surprisingly, his play has picked up lately with better protection up front. Has reduced his interceptions too. But still orchestrates long stretches of "2 and outs" (the $64,000 question: is it him, the receivers, or coordinator?). Glenn is going to be a sought after FA this off-season, although no one is likely to just hand him the starter's role. Wally might have to unless something develops in this area (trade, FA signing, Beck becomes off-the-charts good).

John Beck - played a solid game in emergency 4th quarter duty Saturday (and won his first CFL game), exactly what the club needed from him. Our best short yardage QB in years. Has he shown enough for the past 18 weeks though? He's also a 33-year old journeyman. A great teammate and a "true pro." I only see him coming back though if Lulay retires.

Travis Partridge - intriguing prospect about whom not much is known. Looked solid, poised in preseason but was facing vanilla defences and no "starting 12." I've been told he's looked good at practice, running scout teams but take that for what it's worth. Will likely be invited to camp but will have to show progress.

If the Lions see enough in Rodgers, they will likely pay him a bonus to work on the playbook the Lions give him to prepare for TC. I can't see why they wouldn't invest in him, nothing to lose given the current Lulay situation. If the Lions have to decide on 6 gaming Lulay again, that is a pretty large indicator that we aren't going to be seeing him start anytime soon. Too much on the line to throw the life line on him at this point, unless the ship is sinking and that will only be in a playoff game that is going south on Glenn.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I take it Lulay's time is up on the 6-game injured list as of Friday, hence a decision needs to be made? He must be facing some kind of progress test at practice this week to decide which way to go.

In some ways too bad Lions are mathematically still in the hunt for 2nd place. With Glenn taking a shot to the head Saturday, I would keep him out for pre-cautionary reasons against the Eskimos and give Beck his first-ever start and see what he does with it. Heck, even give Partridge some playing time too then use the Calgary game to get Glenn ready for West or East semi-final.

As David points out, Beck's future is now as a 33 year old journeyman. Partridge should be ready for a more increased role next year and Rodgers could be part of the equation too. Where would that leave Beck given he really hasn't seen much playing time?

Wally will probably try to go with the Buck/Jarious formula he used a few years ago by asking Lulay to take a significant pay cut with an new incentive loaded deal and try to re-sign Glenn as well. Given how much the offence has sputtered this year it won't have season ticket holders quickly renewing but what other options are there?
dupsdell1
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:I take it Lulay's time is up on the 6-game injured list as of Friday, hence a decision needs to be made? He must be facing some kind of progress test at practice this week to decide which way to go.

In some ways too bad Lions are mathematically still in the hunt for 2nd place. With Glenn taking a shot to the head Saturday, I would keep him out for pre-cautionary reasons against the Eskimos and give Beck his first-ever start and see what he does with it. Heck, even give Partridge some playing time too then use the Calgary game to get Glenn ready for West or East semi-final.

As David points out, Beck's future is now as a 33 year old journeyman. Partridge should be ready for a more increased role next year and Rodgers could be part of the equation too. Where would that leave Beck given he really hasn't seen much playing time?

Wally will probably try to go with the Buck/Jarious formula he used a few years ago by asking Lulay to take a significant pay cut with an new incentive loaded deal and try to re-sign Glenn as well. Given how much the offence has sputtered this year it won't have season ticket holders quickly renewing but what other options are there?

The worst thing that can happen is if they end up hosting a playoff game or getting to the grey cup that would cover up a lot of things that have to be changed for next year, to keep the season ticket holder they have already , because if the lions end up losing the next 2 games cross over to the east get beat , i see a huge decline in season ticket holders .
South Pender
Legend

I can't see John Beck as the future at QB for the Lions--despite a good showing in limited action against the Bombers. In my view, he's a backup at best. It's hard to tell about Jordan Rodgers. He didn't impress many NFL scouts. The main rap on him seems to be mediocre arm strength, something that might be even more of a factor on the bigger CFL field. Still, although a little smaller than the prototypical NFL QB prospect, he has good size for the CFL. Played at Vanderbilt (like Jay Cutler) and so has seen top-tier action. Not sure whether he has enough speed (at 4.79 in the 40) to be much of a running threat. Was an undrafted free agent and has been on the PR of three NFL teams, failing to stick in each case. I'd like to see him get a few reps in the last couple of games. Here's a very brief scouting report on Rodgers:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=QB
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:According to NEWS1130 radio:

Yes, it is interesting.

Until we hear otherwise, this is still Travis Lulay's team, it seems to me.

Cautions:

* Another demotion for the very professional, underrated Kevin Glenn?

* Lulay's salary is near the top in the CFL.

* How many hits can Lulay withstand?

* 2015 has to be at least in the back of the mind for longer term planning.

* Are we prepared to ride the 2014 season on Kevin Glenn?

* Could bringing in Lulay upset whatever fragile chemistry we have?

* Could Lulay inspire our offence and our entire team as he did in that wondrous 2011 season?

Travis Lulay or Kevin Glenn? On the resolution of this situation, rides our 2014 season, and in all probability, our 2015 season. Not an easy decision for Wally and Benny. Could mess us up.

What do we have in John Beck? Not sure. I liked his composure against Winnipeg. He came out slinging. He is very good on short yardage, wisely choosing to slide in behind the ferocious Jermarcus Hardrick. His arm is top level. Mobility is probably satisfactory. For me it comes down to his composure. If he can throw it and beat defences, he can be a good one for us.

Travis Partridge? Dunno ...

Jordan Rodgers? Dunno ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I thought I read somewhere that Rodgers had shoulder surgery in the past. Anyone else hear this or know which shoulder?
South Pender
Legend

DanoT wrote:I thought I read somewhere that Rodgers had shoulder surgery in the past. Anyone else hear this or know which shoulder?
He had surgery for a sports hernia leading up to the Jaguars' 2013 training camp.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Why does the Lions have a week to decide on Rodgers ? Is this a league policy on the extra players on the practice roster or it the Lions' decision ?
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=WR

Although the smaller of the two, Adams is much more-highly rated by the NFL scouts, going in the 4th round to the Carolina Panthers.
Adams became a bit of an internet sensation with his crazy punt return for a TD against Tennessee in 2011.

South Pender
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
South Pender wrote:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=WR

Although the smaller of the two, Adams is much more-highly rated by the NFL scouts, going in the 4th round to the Carolina Panthers.
Adams became a bit of an internet sensation with his crazy punt return for a TD against Tennessee in 2011.

Just amazing elusiveness! He's obviously very fast (4.55 in the 40 at the combine), with a good burst when needed. Regarding my comments in another thread about excessive celebration, I like the way Adams just slammed the ball onto the ground when he reached the endzone and then walked away. Like he's been there before. No asinine theatrics!