Benevides Article

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ballhawk
Legend

A very positive write-up on HC Benevides in the article, Go West, Young Man. Great job coach and best wishes for the team! As a true Lions fan I will continue to be at the games and support the team win or lose, and attend the Grey Cup in Vancouver as well, whether or not the Lions are in it. This is my team. Go Lions Go!
Last edited by ballhawk on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I like Coach Benevides as a person. In fact I took his advice on where to go out to eat when we were in Ottawa.

I also feel Benevides is as critical as I am with how Coaching/Player execution has gone this year. I consider myself a 'TRUE' Lions fan too, but whaddya I know :dizzy:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

So where is the article or a link to it?
ballhawk
Legend

DanoT wrote:So where is the article or a link to it?
Go to the BC Lions website. Currently it is the 3rd article.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/article/go-west-young-man
Go West, Young ManFriday, October 17th, 2014

Kadie Smith

There are some moments in your life that stay with you no matter where you go, some relationships that affect you through every other, some monumental thing that is able to transcend the moment so that you feel it’s significance immediately. For Mike Benevides, that moment came as he was preparing to graduate high school.

Benevides was the captain of his Central Tech high school football team in Toronto at the time, and he and his team were at a year-end banquet, year books in hand. As he scanned the signatures, he saw there was one missing, that of Bill Naylor, one of the coaches and a man Benevides calls his mentor.

“I managed to catch him just as he was leaving,” said Benevides. “In the back he wrote ‘go west, young man.’ He died the next morning.”

As the captain, the former 270lb. lineman was charged with the task of informing the team of Naylor’s passing. “As an 18 year old, that’s a pretty traumatic thing to got through,” Benevides said. “I loved him; I cared about him. He was this huge figure, a guy that taught me things about life and about discipline and self respect.”

The words were felt immediately. At the time, the Ontario native was struggling with choosing a University and grappling with the all-too-real dilemma for a lot of Canadian kids in football: how can I continue playing? He took the words at their most literal sense and went west, to Bakersfield College in California on a full football scholarship. From there, it was Calgary, where he first met Wally Buono, and then Vancouver. Those words resonate with him every day. “I’ve kind of just kept going west,” he said with a smile.

The former defensive coordinator has always had a love for the game, but admits that even as a player it was the preparation, the strategy, the scripting and play calls that really grabbed his attention. He’s a focused and serious man, intense on the sidelines and quiet in the office. Poised and professional at all times. Coaching just called to him.

Now the head coach of the BC Lions, Benevides has the chance this season to do something unique: win a Grey Cup with the Lions as a Canadian coach in Vancouver, the city that he and his family call home, the city where he has raised his children, the city where he has set down roots and grown both in his personal life and as a professional.

“Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could be a head coach in the CFL,” said Benevides. “I had no visions of where I’d end up. This is one of the best things that’s ever happened to me. Moving here in 2003 with my wife enabled us to grow as a family.”

His story of origin is as well known as the man who came before him, the man with whom he honed his skills and sharpened his direction, first in Calgary and then BC. It is perhaps because of Wally that Benevides is so prolific. Taking over the head coaching position in 2012 from one one of the winningest coaches in CFL history will garner you some attention.

“Working for or working under a legend, in our business, that’s typically something you don’t do,” he said. “I look at it as an honour though.”

The two have a unique relationship that has changed from a mentor/pupil one to one the head coach calls contemporary. They’re different in coaching styles and approach, but having been together for so many years, Benevides says there’s a lot of Wally in him. Both are children of immigrant parents, both have hard edges to them bred of competitiveness. Both are extremely opinionated, tough even. Everything they have, they’ve had to earn.

“I think over time we’ve learned about each other,” Benevides said of his confidant. “We’ve gone through the wars together. He and I have been together a long time, time for me to gain his trust and respect for he to understand how I work and vice versa. When I took the head coaching job he was very clear and I was very clear that I’m going to do it my way.”

His own way is something Benevides says continues to be bred by those words left on a picture so many years ago, a figurative meaning that he applies to different aspects of his life. Go your own way. Go into the unknown. Trust your instincts.

This season, the Lions are poised and ready to come back from an upsetting 2013 where they lost to the eventual cup winners, the Roughriders, in the Western Semi-Final. After what Benevides describes as the best training camp he’s been a part of, the Lions had their fair share of turmoil and adversity in the first half of this season, but he’s confident they’re growing each day to where they want to be.

With a wealth of talent in the likes of star running back Andrew Harris, veteran pivot Kevin Glenn and their go-to Travis Lulay coupled with the defensive prowess of arguably the league’s best shut-down duo in Soloman Elimimian and Adam Bighill, the possibility is there for the Leos to repeat their championship 2011 season. Add the rookie phenoms Josh Johnson, Ronnie Yell and Alex Bazzie and the future looks bright in BC with Benevides at the helm.

Go west, young man. It’s funny how one sentence can have so many different meanings.
Good man. Good citizen. Good father. Hard working guy. A players' coach.

Our results have been sliding downwards. This is pro sports. How good are you? How does the public perceive you? That depends on your win/loss record.

IMO the biggest problem facing both Mike Benevides and his mentor, Wally Buono, is the level of coaching and management they face in the CFL. As I have suggested numerous times, that level has been rising dramatically since the arrival of Kent Austin, John Hufnagel, Marc Trestman (since departed to the NFL), and others. IMO in hiring staff, one should look for the highest credentials possible. Those men just named fill that requirement. Why not demand the best credentials?

As is, we seem to be middle of the pack. And we would seem to be in danger of sliding even more.

Can Benny bring us success in the playoffs? Can we make it to the playoffs? Big questions. In pro sports the bottom line is always going to be: What is your record? Did you win championships? Is the play of the team entertaining? Does the team look organized? Does the team look well coached at all times? It there consistency?

Fair questions, methinks.

As with most fans, I would be delighted if we can squeak into the playoffs. I would be delighted if we can make noise in the playoffs.

But, but, but ... How can people say mean things about Mike Benevides? It is pro sports. It goes with the territory. It is life in the fish bowl. It is life under public scrutiny. It is a lifestyle chosen by the individuals. They can get the glory. And they can get the criticism. They choose to face the heat that comes in their profession.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:IMO the biggest problem facing both Mike Benevides and his mentor, Wally Buono, is the level of coaching and management they face in the CFL. As I have suggested numerous times, that level has been rising dramatically since the arrival of Kent Austin, John Hufnagel, Marc Trestman (since departed to the NFL), and others. IMO in hiring staff, one should look for the highest credentials possible. Those men just named fill that requirement. Why not demand the best credentials?
Sometimes it takes a combination of circumstances to attract the highest credentials. Trestman's hire was met with quite a bit of initial skepticism given he had zero 3 down history. He was an outside-the-box hire by Popp who seems to be known for that but with very mixed results. While the credentials of Austin and Hufnagel were outstanding I think situation was important to them. Both returned as GM/HCs. Austin would not have considered a return to the CFL for a role that didn't include significantly more control than an HC role offered. It may have been the same for Hufnagel who had been an NFL OC from 2004-2006.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:IMO the biggest problem facing both Mike Benevides and his mentor, Wally Buono, is the level of coaching and management they face in the CFL. As I have suggested numerous times, that level has been rising dramatically since the arrival of Kent Austin, John Hufnagel, Marc Trestman (since departed to the NFL), and others. IMO in hiring staff, one should look for the highest credentials possible. Those men just named fill that requirement. Why not demand the best credentials?
Sometimes it takes a combination of circumstances to attract the highest credentials. Trestman's hire was met with quite a bit of initial skepticism given he had zero 3 down history. He was an outside-the-box hire by Popp who seems to be known for that but with very mixed results. While the credentials of Austin and Hufnagel were outstanding I think situation was important to them. Both returned as GM/HCs. Austin would not have considered a return to the CFL for a role that didn't include significantly more control than an HC role offered. It may have been the same for Hufnagel who had been an NFL OC from 2004-2006.
Certainly Austin and Hufnagel demanded much autonomy. And it seems clear they deserve it. Amazing credentials. Same with Trestman. When his time comes, Dave Dickenson will show a full, deep comprehensive resume.

"attract the highest credentials"? ... Well ya gotta pay the bucks. Ya gotta give up autonomy. Ya gotta roll the dice a bit, albeit with good odds. You may well have to go outside the organization. You may have to bypass long time friends. Not easy choosing a great, new leader.

Or a team can be less ambitious in its search. Or a team can stay in house, promote from within, even without outstanding credentials.

It seems clear that Mark W on our staff is building an impressive resume. One fully expects his time will come. His squad always looks well prepared and motivated.

Could Benny win the Cup? Could Benny eventually look like a great hire? I think so. The odds might be against it though. Some of his comments, emotional reactions, decisions, game management and onfield results raise questions in the minds of some fans.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well we are all 'TRUE' fans, IMO. We can get into all kinds of debates over various things.

Are on season ticket holders true fans? (not, IMO). It goes on and on, and there is NO SUCH THING that would exclude one claiming to be a BC Lions fan to therefore be a TRUE FAN, IMO. I have spent a variety of measurables (time, money, emotion) following this team BUT I consider myself to be a fan in all the same ways anyone else who wants to claim that label. IMO, a 'true fan' doesn't need to spout a certain idea or concept or ideas, wear jersies or hats or even COME TO THE GAMEs. Not everybody can, but we are all true fans.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Poised and professional at all times. Coaching just called to him.
Poised ?? :thdn:
ballhawk
Legend

notahomer wrote:Well we are all 'TRUE' fans, IMO. We can get into all kinds of debates over various things.

Are on season ticket holders true fans? (not, IMO). It goes on and on, and there is NO SUCH THING that would exclude one claiming to be a BC Lions fan to therefore be a TRUE FAN, IMO. I have spent a variety of measurables (time, money, emotion) following this team BUT I consider myself to be a fan in all the same ways anyone else who wants to claim that label. IMO, a 'true fan' doesn't need to spout a certain idea or concept or ideas, wear jersies or hats or even COME TO THE GAMEs. Not everybody can, but we are all true fans.....
Anyone who travels to Ottawa and other venues with the team must be regarded as a fan to say the least. Notahomer, you are indeed a true fan.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Notice this drill with what I consider a bizarre like QB motion to stutter step one direction and turn and through to a stationary Receiver. WTF.

No wonder this receiving corps isn't working right. Run FFS.. Move.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:

Notice this drill with what I consider a bizarre like QB motion to stutter step one direction and turn and through to a stationary Receiver. WTF.

No wonder this receiving corps isn't working right. Run FFS.. Move.
Lulay in full dress. We've played five games since he went down in Ott so I guess with the league rules for the 6-game list this means he's now allowed full participation in team practices. I haven't thought about it all that much as I basically wrote him off for 2014 after the latest setback.

http://www.tsn.ca/qb-lulay-takes-part-i ... e-1.111601
QB Lulay takes part in some drills at Lions' practice

B.C. Lions quarterback Travis Lulay took part in some drill work on Monday but didn't take any reps with the team.

Lulay continues to rehabilitate his right throwing shoulder in hopes of returning to the lineup before the end of the season.

Cornerback Dante Marsh, who is coming off a hamstring injury, will not practice this week as he deals with a presonal issue and will not play against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this week.

Running back Stefan Logan participated fully in practice on Monday while receiver Emmanuel Arceneaux and cornerback Ronnie Yell did some drills but did not take any team reps.

Head coach Mike Benevides will decide if Arceneaux and Yell will play on Saturday after Tuesday's practice in pads.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://bclions.com/video/index/id/104867

Some pretty focused, good comments from Benny. No blather. Wanna be a football coach, anybody? Wanna be a pro football coach, anybody? Benny is showing some lines in the forehead. Goes with the territory.

Kinda like the U.S. Presidents. Before and after pictures. Those guys go grey fast.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm happy with Benevides as the Lions HC, but I would be a lot happier if he hired a new O line coach and ST coach for next season.
Blitz
Team Captain

Obviously professional Head Coaches are most often judged by win-loss records and playoff performances. However, a Head Coach, with a very talented team can underperform but have more wins than his counterpart in another city who may not even have a winning record but has exceeded expectations.

There has never been one personality style that has proven to be better than another. In the NFL we've seen Head Coaches with very different styles such as Peter Carroll, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, and Tony Dungy win Super Bowls.

In the CFL, Don Matthews, Dave Ritchie, Wally Buono, and Mark Trestman had very different styles and philosophies but all hoisted the Grey Cup.

I think its important to judge character when looking at a Head Coach. Is this a person of integrity, maturity, and professionalism, no matter what personal style they have? This is the area I have struggled with most with Mike Benevedes. He not only does not take personal responsibility when he should but his sideline demeanor too often does not exhibit professionalism. His berating of his offensive and defensive coordinators on the sidelines, his over the top demonstrative sideline antics, his pre-game and half time speeches, his posing, his ranting, not only show a lack of poise but appear to be deficiencies in character.

Having a personality that gets excited or is a players style of coach like Pete Carroll is different than Benevedes style on the sidelines. Carroll is still very professional in his conduct. There have always been taskmaster style of coaches and what are often called 'player style' coaches. Both can be successful. I don't see Benevedes as a player style Head Coach as much as a 'ME"' style Head Coach, based upon my observations over the past 3 seasons.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)