Bombers and Coach O'Shea

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Many Bomber fans were calling for Marve to be put into the game. While I understand they didn't want to see Willy continue getting beat down as he had all season. OTOH, we were withing 1 score of winning the game. Keep in mind I'm not saying we deserved to win but were at least in a position to win.

All that said, our playcalling was at a peewee level and our OL blocking not existent. It's always interesting to see what plays impact momentum and final results. Football is a game of "ifs".

The Bombers for the most part haven't been able to win games that were " winnable " which is something good teams do. IIRC, there were about 5 games that were lost by less than 7 points. There were 3 games won by less than 7 points by making that 1 play needed to secure the win.

For 2014 it didn't really matter that the Bombers missed any chance of a crossover. They weren't going to progress from that point IMO even if they lucked out with reaching that spot in the standings. Too many consistent problems not addressed and the failure to " make " that important play during a game.
Last edited by Blue In BC on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:Many Bomber fans were calling for Marve to be put into the game. While I understand they didn't want to see Willy continue getting beat down as he had all season. OTOH, we were withing 1 score of winning the game. Keep in mind I'm not sayingwe deserved to win but were at least in a position to win.

All that said, our playcalling was at a peewee level and our OL blocking not existent. It's always interesting to see what plays impact momentum and final results. Football is a game of "ifs".

The Bombers for the most part haven't been able to win games that were " winnable " which is something good teams do. IIRC, there were about 5 games that were lost by less than 7 points. There were 3 games won by less than 7 points by making that 1 play needed to secure the win.

For 2014 it didn't really matter that the Bombers missed any chance of a crossover. They weren't going to progress from that point IMO even if they lucked out with reaching that spot in the standings. Too many consistent problems not addressed and the failure to " make " that important play during a game.
Sounds like you're describing the Lions.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:The biggest question is why did the bombers stop running the ball in the 2nd half? If the QB is getting sacked then run the ball or use screen passes.

The big problem for the Bombers was that the Lions were getting pressure on the QB with only a 4 or 5 man rush. If Lions can do that and then put 7 -8 guys in pass protection, then no one will be open.

O'Shea might be a little too stubborn and not quick enough to adapt. Or am I describing Mike Benevides (minus the emotions)? :shock:
That's coaching! Marcel was left to his own devices. HC has to be clear that success is built on - vary the theme with some variations on it with different looks and plays but stick with what works .

He is too cool and almost like a HC who knows he is to be fired - ALTHOUGH I BELIEVE HE KNOWS THAT WON'T HAPPEN. But running around like someone who hasn't a clue like MB does is not helpful.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/o-shea-says-willy-sho ... d-1.119467

I like Coach O'Shea and think the Bombers would be smart to bring him back to give it another shot next year. BUT, there is NO WAY Willy wins the MOP. Glad the Coach wants to support his players....

Who would I pick? Since it does seem to be an offensive award (literally and figuratively :wink: ) I'd probaby say Jon Cornish. I don't know how you miss so many games and still lead the league in rushing......

If the MOP was not an offensive award (its not technically) I fully support the concept of nominating SOL.E as the winner.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Agree, no way Drew Willy is deserving the MVP.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Agree, no way Drew Willy is deserving the MVP.
I can NOT remember which Lionbacker made the comment but he said "The award is now called the most outstanding player because it is obvious there is a difference between MOP and MVP.....Darian Durant is the most valuable player since we see what the Riders have done since he was injured".
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/o-shea-says-willy-sho ... d-1.119467

I like Coach O'Shea and think the Bombers would be smart to bring him back to give it another shot next year. BUT, there is NO WAY Willy wins the MOP. Glad the Coach wants to support his players....

Who would I pick? Since it does seem to be an offensive award (literally and figuratively :wink: ) I'd probaby say Jon Cornish. I don't know how you miss so many games and still lead the league in rushing......

If the MOP was not an offensive award (its not technically) I fully support the concept of nominating SOL.E as the winner.
That comment by O'Shea was insane.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Ravi
Legend

DanoT wrote:The Bomber fans are mad at Grigsby for asking for his release so they are glad that he is gone.

I think O'Shea is trying to change the culture to one of discipline and accountability and winning.

Apparently it cannot be accomplished in just one season.

Every one says RBs are plentiful and easy to replace. Great ones, not so much but Grigcby was never all that great, imo.
I agree. Grigsby only averaged 4.5 yards per carry and that was dropping. That was an excellent move by O'Shea. The Bombers went from 3 to 7 wins in a year which is about as much improvement as could be reasonably expected with that team. They will be even better next year.