Dave Naylor, TSN: Toronto is not a football town

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Where else is there a city where the matter of a football team winning or losing isn't a matter of concern for most of the city's sports fans.

Nowhere, that's where. Except here.
Wrong. Try St. Louis, where the Rams are an afterthought. Or Los Angeles, back when they had either the Raiders or the Rams. Or Miami. Or Atlanta pre Michael Vick. Or Indianapolis pre-Peyton Manning. Or Tampa Bay now. Or Miami when a good Heat team overlaps with a bad Dolphins team. Or San Diego just about any time, brah.

There are a lot of misconceptions about sports markets and their relative elasticity. Since I've had my fair share of flight delays, I've given this a lot of thought. What I've come up with is that you can divide North American sports markets into essentially four types:

1) College Towns. These are markets where a strong university presence dictates that one college sport, usually football, assumes the dominant financial, marketing and media coverage base. For the most part, there is no overlap between a professional team and a college team in these markets. Where there is, however, college sports dominates. Columbus, OH is probably the primary example of this. Ohio State football rules coverage there, and the Blue Jackets suffocate beneath it and Ohio State in general. Jacksonville, FL because it resides in SEC country, could be considered a town where SEC football ranks nominally above the NFL. (There's a reason that Florida and Georgia play in Jacksonville every year).

2) Sports Ambivalent Towns. These towns have no dominant sports franchise. They tend to consist of transient populations or populations without a cultural tradition of community centered professional sports. Can you make a profit there? Usually, but television ratings will be so/so, franchise finances are such that you have to put some effort in to break even, and a great deal of effort to get to profitability. The idea that the identity of a town is centered around professional sports is really not part of the local fabric. These towns tend to be concentrated where you think and include: Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Las Vegas, Raleigh-Durham, San Diego

3) The One Sport Town. This comprises the majority of sports markets in North America. In these markets, one team in one sport can generally throw open the doors and generate revenue hand over fist regardless of how good they do. Other teams can usually get by in these markets as well, however they need to do significant community outreach and field a winning product in order to generate substantially profitable revenue. These markets include: Cleveland (Browns), St. Louis (Cardinals), Dallas (Cowboys), Los Angeles (Lakers), Pittsburgh (Steelers), Cincinnati (Bengals), Indianapolis (Colts), New Orleans (Saints), Houston (Texans), Buffalo (Bills), San Antonio/Salt Lake City/Oklahoma City (NBA), Portland (Timbers), Nashville (Titans), Milwaukee (Brewers), Kansas City (Chiefs), Green Bay (Packers) .

Every Canadian market falls into this category. For all of these markets, with the exception of Regina, the NHL team is the center of the market, and ancillary teams have to compete for the remaining pool of disposable income through a combination of marketing, smart spending/investment, a competitive on field product and strong and constant community outreach.

4) Durable Markets. Either through geographic isolation, a tradition of professional sports as the centerpiece of cultural identity or sheer numbers, these markets support every professional sporting endavor to a sustainable break even point, provided the franchise makes a reasonable effort. These markets include New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Phoenix, Seattle and San Francisco/San Jose

There is an expectation that Toronto should fall into category #4. It does not, and never will. Toronto has the deeply engrained cultural tradition of hockey among the majority of the hardcore sports fans, and those people will invest their time and money in the Leafs come hell or high water. That's it, that's the list. Certainly the other teams can market themselves as "cool" which happens when they play well enough or get a dynamic enough of a personality to generate a buzz or if they open a new stadium. But that buzz is not sustainable. You have other barriers to generating and sustaining interest in sports properties in Toronto that aren't unlike Los Angeles; geographic sprawl, a wide range of things to spend your disposable income on beyond just professional sports, and a lack of cultural root in baseball, football, basketball or soccer. (Or, in the case of the Argos, as with Montreal, a deep set of roots that rotted and died out entirely in from 1960-1990).

Toronto is not a football town. NFL or CFL. It is not a baseball town. It is not a basketball town. It is not a soccer town. It is a hockey town, period. Full stop. Stop expecting it to be anything else. Montreal isn't either. It is a town whose relationship with those sports is akin to Cleveland's with basketball. They'll show up and invest when the product on offer has sufficient marketing buzz and is top tier...and the Browns (or in this case, the Leafs) aren't playing. It is what it is, and that's all it's going to be. Can you do things to help? Sure, and Montreal shows a very clear path to a sustainable market presence. But don't pretend the Argos will ever own the town or be the talk of the town, because they won't. In that sense, Naylor's right.

it's also what makes Toronto a $2 billion mistake as it relates to the NFL. GTA residents will treat an NFL team like Canadians treat American entries in any product line into the market: high sampling, low to sustainable but lower than projected retention. Fortunately, the NFL understands that they can keep the Bills in Buffalo and it will still draw from the GTA under what Richard Florida calls the Torbuffchestercuse regional approach and generate as much, if not more, revenue than yanking the team from that market and putting it in Toronto.

But Naylor doesn't really see the big picture. Most of us don't. What happened in the early 1990s is that marketers got a lot more savvy to the division of disposable income. You aren't just competing against other professional sports teams anymore. You're competing against an ever large pool of opportunities to get disposable income, many of which come with less overhead and larger margins than professional sports. As such, expectations of sports people tend to be unrealistic. Toronto is frustrating, but it isn't unique.
You've made some good points, Cromartie, but there's something you said at the start I want to come back to.
Wrong. Try St. Louis, where the Rams are an afterthought. Or Los Angeles, back when they had either the Raiders or the Rams. Or Miami. Or Atlanta pre Michael Vick. Or Indianapolis pre-Peyton Manning. Or Tampa Bay now. Or Miami when a good Heat team overlaps with a bad Dolphins team. Or San Diego just about any time, brah.
Maybe those markets don't support their NFL teams as well as they could. But unless I'm mistaken, I don't think sports fans in these cities fawn over football teams in other markets. When they root for a football team (or whatever sport), I would think they generally root for their own. Not someone else's. That's one of Naylor's main points. And that's The Problem With Toronto. Not getting strong support for a team in your area is one thing. That's not uncommon as you state. But to support a team from another area at the expense of your own is quite another. I think Toronto is unique in this regard.

One other thing you said I would disagree with (somewhat facetiously), I would say Toronto is NOT a hockey town. It's a Leafs town. Several AHL and OHL teams that have come and gone out of the GTA in the last couple generations. None of them have won over the locals the way the Leafs have. Also, I'm not sure I would quite include Phoenix as a "durable" market what with the Coyotes. Maybe it does fit that bill for their MLB/NBA/NFL teams but I don't know about the NHL. Maybe things will stabilise with the new ownership and their Arizona rebranding, so I'll rank it incomplete for now.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

You're generally correct, but with your list of "one sport towns" I would suggest that fans of the Indians, Dodgers, Angels and Reds might disagree somewhat with you.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:3) The One Sport Town. This comprises the majority of sports markets in North America. In these markets, one team in one sport can generally throw open the doors and generate revenue hand over fist regardless of how good they do. Other teams can usually get by in these markets as well, however they need to do significant community outreach and field a winning product in order to generate substantially profitable revenue. These markets include: Kansas City (Chiefs).
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:You're generally correct, but with your list of "one sport towns" I would suggest that fans of the Indians, Dodgers, Angels and Reds might disagree somewhat with you.
And most definitely for the next two weeks, the Chiefs and 49ers will be taking a backseat to their Royals and Giants in light of the World Series.

ImageImage

Going back to the issue of team uniform colours, will Lions fans be rooting for the Giants simply because their uniforms consist of Orange while those of the Royals do not?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote: I would say Toronto is NOT a hockey town. It's a Leafs town.
Bob McCown has been touting that concept for years.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:You're generally correct, but with your list of "one sport towns" I would suggest that fans of the Indians, Dodgers, Angels and Reds might disagree somewhat with you.
The relationship between the Indians ownership and sports fans in Cleveland is downright toxic at this point. I live here, you'll want to defer to me on this one. The fans show up if the team is winning, and they don't if they aren't, and it's been that way with the Indians since the local economy started to contract and the team entered a period of sustained mediocrity in the 1950s. The sellouts in the 1990s were the exception, not the rule, and they are again.

You can debate whether Cincinnati likes the Reds or Bengals more. It may be that the Reds have the durable mantle in Cincinnati while the Bengals play second fiddle.

Los Angeles is an interesting market. (And let's do the demographically honest thing here and separate Los Angeles and Anaheim, because they are seperate MSAs). You could make the argument that there is no durable team in Los Angeles, and I would buy that, though I think the Lakers have persevered the longest.

In Anaheim, you could suggest that the Angels are the dominant team (over the Ducks), and I would buy that, but the market has proven that it couldn't support the NFL (back when the Rams played there), and there hasn't been a professional basketball team there since the Amigos in the early 1970s. Anaheim may be durable, it may not, but we don't really know until the NFL and NBA set up shop there.
Maybe those markets don't support their NFL teams as well as they could. But unless I'm mistaken, I don't think sports fans in these cities fawn over football teams in other markets. When they root for a football team (or whatever sport), I would think they generally root for their own. Not someone else's. That's one of Naylor's main points. And that's The Problem With Toronto. Not getting strong support for a team in your area is one thing. That's not uncommon as you state. But to support a team from another area at the expense of your own is quite another. I think Toronto is unique in this regard.
I don't think it's unique at all. Any market with a large number of transplants is going to contain some number of these fans. Phoenix, Miami and Tampa all have a significant number of non-home market fans at their games. I'd point to Miami as the most similar market in this regard. Heck, if you watched MNF this week, over half the fans in attendance at that game in St. Louis were 49ers fans. I live in a market where the NFL is the clear number one, and probably around 20% of the total NFL fanbase in Cleveland actually roots for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'd argue the same Packer/Viking problem persists in Minneapolis as well.

And that's my point. Toronto isn't unique, it has the same transient challenge that a southern market has, along with the sprawl of Los Angeles and the challenge of being a secondary sport in an NHL town.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Going back to the issue of team uniform colours, will Lions fans be rooting for the Giants simply because their uniforms consist of Orange while those of the Royals do not?
Not this guy. I'll be rooting for the Giants because I've always rooted for the Giants. They've been my favourite team since the days when the "Say Hey Kid" Willie Mays was patrolling center field and Kapp and Fleming were leading the Lions.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Los Angeles is an interesting market. (And let's do the demographically honest thing here and separate Los Angeles and Anaheim, because they are seperate MSAs). You could make the argument that there is no durable team in Los Angeles, and I would buy that, though I think the Lakers have persevered the longest.
I don't know if you can call the Lakers durable or that they have perservered. The only thing they've had to endure or perervere through is year after year of watching a winning team. Their record has been .500 or better in all but 7 seasons since moving to LA over 50 years ago. The success they've enjoyed is unparalleled in North American pro sports. They've missed the playoffs only 6 times in their 66 year history. Twice came in the back to back seasons of 74-75 & 75-76 which is the only time they missed the post season more than 1 year in a row. They've missed the playoffs 3 times while winning 10 NBA Championships in the 38 seasons since. The Lakers may have perservered but the resolve of their fans has never been tested other than that brief 2 year stretch back in the mid-70s. With a aging team in decline in the NBA's very tough Western Conference Jack Nicholson and the rest of the Laker fanbase may be facing the first ever test of their resolve.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
I don't think it's unique at all. Any market with a large number of transplants is going to contain some number of these fans. Phoenix, Miami and Tampa all have a significant number of non-home market fans at their games. I'd point to Miami as the most similar market in this regard. Heck, if you watched MNF this week, over half the fans in attendance at that game in St. Louis were 49ers fans. I live in a market where the NFL is the clear number one, and probably around 20% of the total NFL fanbase in Cleveland actually roots for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'd argue the same Packer/Viking problem persists in Minneapolis as well.

And that's my point. Toronto isn't unique, it has the same transient challenge that a southern market has, along with the sprawl of Los Angeles and the challenge of being a secondary sport in an NHL town.
I can see there being tons of snowbirds living in the Sun Belt who still root for the northern teams from where they grew up, so I could understand that. But I don't think this sort of reasoning applies to Toronto and the GTA, unless I missed a huge influx of migrants from the other side of Lake Ontario over the last 30 years or so. As for the Cle/Pit & Min/GB dichotomies, I suspect the lack of success of the hometown team compared to their more storied "neighbour" could be coming into play here. I've heard of this anecdotally in Toronto, not for the Argos but rather the Leafs, where the Habs garner some support from that rival market after decades of Leaf mediocrity.

Although they've had stretches of poor performance at various times, it's not like the Argos have been particularly horrific in their overall history. They have the most Grey Cup championships among ALL teams/cities currently in the loop, including five in the last 24 years (only the Bulls, Lakers, Spurs and Yankees among NA major leagues can match or better this). The last 5 Stanley Cups in Toronto would take you back to 1951 — more than twice as long ago.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Anyone catch a peek at the front page of todays Province newspaper? A photo of a guy (IIRC a ticket broker) holding a huge fan of tickets to events. A few were Canuck tickets but the ones he seemed to be showcasing were SEAHAWK tickets!?!?!

I read the article inside pertaining to the front page photo. Skulsky claims we are up 3% in season ticket sales this year but down about 4% overall due to all the home losses. I realize his numbers maybe correct (3% increase) but isn't there a usual 'Grey Cup bump' with season tickets with a corresponding dip the year following?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Anyone catch a peek at the front page of todays Province newspaper? A photo of a guy (IIRC a ticket broker) holding a huge fan of tickets to events. A few were Canuck tickets but the ones he seemed to be showcasing were SEAHAWK tickets!?!?!

I read the article inside pertaining to the front page photo. Skulsky claims we are up 3% in season ticket sales this year but down about 4% overall due to all the home losses. I realize his numbers maybe correct (3% increase) but isn't there a usual 'Grey Cup bump' with season tickets with a corresponding dip the year following?
GC hosting rights usually do bring a one year bump (and dip the year after) in both ST sales and overall attendance, so being down this year would counter this trend. But attendance is down virtually across the board this year (—5.57% overall comparing this year through Oct 18 to all of 2013), with only Hamilton (and resurgent Edmonton) registering increases over last year's attendances; in Hamilton's case this is only because they were playing in such a small venue (13.3k capacity) last year.

With season tickets being cheaper on a per-game basis, the fact that a larger proportion of Lions tickets are from such sales would suggest their revenues are also down (notwithstanding 2013->2014 price increases).

If you wanted to put a positive spin on it, the attendance drop in BC is not as large as that of the league average, and less than half that seen in Mtl & Tor.

EDIT, OCT 18/14: The original figure had an error in the % changes for Ssk & Edm and has now been corrected. Also added attendance of the Oct 17 Ott @Ham game (billed as a 20,125 sellout) to the data. Changed some preceding text accordingly also.
Last edited by sj-roc on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

OH I guess its easy to be a critic (especially one with a Lions bias :wink: ) but it did make me laugh you'd have an article about all the big events (including this event called the Grey Cup :dizzy: ) and have a picture of a guy showcasing all the Seahawk tickets he's got for sale on your front page.....

Hope in about a months time they have to show another picture of the guy with a mittful of Grey Cup tickets he's hoping to sell to Lotuslanders wanting to see the Lions play in the Grey Cup.....

Oh well... :bang:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:OH I guess its easy to be a critic (especially one with a Lions bias :wink: ) but it did make me laugh you'd have an article about all the big events (including this event called the Grey Cup :dizzy: ) and have a picture of a guy showcasing all the Seahawk tickets he's got for sale on your front page.....

Hope in about a months time they have to show another picture of the guy with a mittful of Grey Cup tickets he's hoping to sell to Lotuslanders wanting to see the Lions play in the Grey Cup.....

Oh well... :bang:
Um, who are you addressing here? :S
Bosco
Team Captain

Back to the question of Toronto not being a football town - my son and I attended the 2012 Grey Cup , a pretty big event considering that: A) The league was celebrating the 100th Grey Cup and: B) The home town Argos were IN the game.

On the Wednesday evening before the game, a waitress at a pub just a few blocks from Rogers Centre was wondering why she was seeing so many people dressed in CFL jerseys and why it seemed to be extra busy for a Wednesday night.

On Friday, a couple of employees at our downtown hotel posed the same question. When advised that it was the Grey Cup, one exclaimed "Oh, I love football...who's playing?" :dizzy:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:If you wanted to put a positive spin on it, the attendance drop in BC is not as large as that of the league average, and less than half that seen in some other markets (far less in at least a couple of cases). The most surprising one to me is the drop in Edm, where you might think the on-field turnaround would have enhanced crowds over last year. They only have one home game left (against us on Nov 1) and even if their listed capacity of 56,302 sold out for this game they'd still end the year 1.85% off from 2013. I guess some STHs were turned off from renewing in the immediate aftermath of that 4-14 season and they've yet to return as part of the walk-up.
For Edmonton a big factor is the number of games with rivals Calgary and Saskatchewan. When you look at their numbers over the last 2 years you find:

2014 average versus Sask & Calgary: 41026
2013 average versus Sask & Calgary: 34756

2014 average versus the rest of CFL: 30380
2013 average versus the rest of CFL: 29968

They've enjoyed an 18% increase when the Stamps and Riders have come to town this year but only a 1.4% increase versus the rest. Last year the gap between Stamps/Riders vs the rest was 4788/game. This year that gap has more than doubled to 10646. What helps minimize the opponent impact last year versus this is the fact they had 4 home dates last year against their biggest meal tickets but only get 3 visits this year.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
sj-roc wrote:If you wanted to put a positive spin on it, the attendance drop in BC is not as large as that of the league average, and less than half that seen in some other markets (far less in at least a couple of cases). The most surprising one to me is the drop in Edm, where you might think the on-field turnaround would have enhanced crowds over last year. They only have one home game left (against us on Nov 1) and even if their listed capacity of 56,302 sold out for this game they'd still end the year 1.85% off from 2013. I guess some STHs were turned off from renewing in the immediate aftermath of that 4-14 season and they've yet to return as part of the walk-up.
For Edmonton a big factor is the number of games with rivals Calgary and Saskatchewan. When you look at their numbers over the last 2 years you find:

2014 average versus Sask & Calgary: 41026
2013 average versus Sask & Calgary: 34756

2014 average versus the rest of CFL: 30380
2013 average versus the rest of CFL: 29968

They've enjoyed an 18% increase when the Stamps and Riders have come to town this year but only a 1.4% increase versus the rest. Last year the gap between Stamps/Riders vs the rest was 4788/game. This year that gap has more than doubled to 10646. What helps minimize the opponent impact last year versus this is the fact they had 4 home dates last year against their biggest meal tickets but only get 3 visits this year.
Thanks for this post, Hambone. It made me realise there was actually an INCREASE (of 7.09%) in Edm's attendance so far this year over last year's average — in SPITE of there being as you note fewer hot draws. The boost would no doubt be even higher if Ott (against whom they drew 31,521) were switched out for a second game vs Ssk (who drew 42,161 in their only Edm visit this year).

There was an arithmetic error in my graphic with the % changes from 2013 for both Edm & Ssk — I accidentally got last year's figures switched on these two teams, so of course the %s came out wrong. It never did look right to me in the initial version that Edm was down (I was totally expecting an increase based on their on-field resurgence) but I posted out of expediency. So I've edited that post to correct this and while I was at it, I threw last night's 20,125 Ham crowd into the data. This also means that Ssk's crowds are down more than I'd first shown, which I suppose is largely due to reduced capacity over what they had for much of their 2013 GC hosting year, in addition to whatever usual post-GC hangover there might be.