Lions 41 - Ottawa 3 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MexicoLionFan wrote: Very good observation Hambone, I noticed the same thing...If his knee is fine, then we should move forward with Fabien, he's a real talent, especially at that RG position. The Lions have moved this young player around too much. Settle him at RG and hope he stays healthy!
I was hoping for that too going back to when Steward proved he can more than do the job at LT. Steward, Hardrick, Norman, Fabien and Olafioye would make for a young, athletic OL with tremendous upside. Olafioye who doesn't turn 27 until December would be the wiley old veteran of the bunch.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote: Very good observation Hambone, I noticed the same thing...If his knee is fine, then we should move forward with Fabien, he's a real talent, especially at that RG position. The Lions have moved this young player around too much. Settle him at RG and hope he stays healthy!
I was hoping for that too going back to when Steward proved he can more than do the job at LT. Steward, Hardrick, Norman, Fabien and Olafioye would make for a young, athletic OL with tremendous upside. Olafioye who doesn't turn 27 until December would be the wiley old veteran of the bunch.
I think that would be an excellent offensive line. My concern is back up center if Norman ever got hurt. I also would like to see us either draft a player who played center in college or have an import who was learning the position on the roster for next year. It would give us options.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From the article by Lowell Ullrich ...
The CFL game at B.C. Place Stadium had all the makings of what would have been a colossal collapse. Of course, the B.C. Lions had no business losing to the Ottawa Redblacks, and they were almost down to volunteers on offence not more than a minute into their game Saturday.
Yes, there could have been a collapse. But team character and talent prevailed.
Sure, it was a win against a first-year team that has not won a road game but it was enough to halt a three-game losing streak in which Lions coach Mike Benevides said his team was suffering from a “crisis of confidence.”
I had noted confidence as an issue earlier. We found some in a hurry on Saturday.
The confidence began to regenerate after the Lions receivers met as a group following their walk-through Friday.

“It was just a little meeting just to keep us going,’ said Jackson, downplaying the rally session.
Well, Yes, players meetings can do that. They can also lead to lack of confidence in the coaches. Our receiver group is very, very talented now. From the injured guys to the new guys. Arceneaux, Taylor and Burnham. Jackson (new status) and Tuinei. Nationals: Gore, Haidara, Poblah, Iannuzzi and Adekolu. This is a deep and talented group. Just took us a while to get the group airborn.
“The biggest thing was the win but I’m excited about the young players who stepped up in this game,” said Glenn, who passed for 345 yards. “What we did was that we banded together as a team. Everybody bought in and contributed.”
Glenn led the way. He is a very solid pro. Underrated. Underappreciated.
And with Glenn and Jackson playing pitch and catch, the running game opened up underneath too. Antolin also got his first CFL touchdown in the fourth a play after a 56-yard run which also put him over the 100-yard mark. The native Hawaiian had practised his first career touchdown, pretending he was surfboarding in the end zone after he had scored.

“I came a long way to get to this point,” Antolin said. “I got to give it to the hoggies up front for opening the holes.”
Yes, keeping it simple had the big hogs pounding on the RedBlacks.
Lost among the offensive fireworks was the fact the Lions defence punished the Henry Burris-led Ottawa offence. The Lions did not allow a touchdown for the third straight game and fifth time in six outings, a league record.

“We never found a way to respond,” said Ottawa coach Rick Campbell. “I’m hoping this is an anomaly.”

Solomon Elimimian eclipsed the franchise record for tackles Saturday by maintaining his recent, six-takedown average. He is only nine tackles away from the league record with three games remaining.

“We’ve been through so much as a group. I think that was upset everyone was that everyone was counting us out,” said Elimimian. “There’s so excuses regardless of who was or wasn’t playing. This really was a must-win game for us.”
Great defence. Kudos to Mark Washington for an outstanding job all year. Along with Johnny Holland and Carl Hairston. Solomon. Biggie. Ryan. They can give a team confidence.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I guess Buono and the coaches can park the injury card for the next two weeks.
Rammer
Team Captain

Benevides used the us against the world stance so infamous to Lion legend coach Ritchie. It worked, brought out the animal side of the OL, and the results speak for themselves. Now can he keep this up and more importantly can the players find that level for the remainder of the season and deep into the playoffs.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

There was a lot of chatter abot a few leadership things on the TV broadcast, which I obviously missed live since I was at the game.....

For e.g. Dante Marsh apparently was asked to give a 'speech'. This was due to possible rifts OFFENCE/DEFENCE (Bighill versus Player on Tuesday) that probably WERE NOT happening according to any players asked. Marsh had this AWESOME "31" hanging off a chain. Looked ready to go sign a contract for some rap music.........

Just that group of injured recievers being there to support/cheer on their team-mates.

Also, the whole Redblacks need to choke down some :crow: over Glenn. Glenn of course claims it doesn't matter and even cites how he left WPG as being the toughest. It would have to hurt though. Glenn was set on the Stamps, even led them to the Grey Cup game a couple seasons ago. Gets claimed to be the MAN by the expansion RedBlacks who then also go after Burris. So, it seems like none of it matters but I'm betting he enjoyed beating the Redblacks just a little bit more than he would have had they NOT taken him FIRST OVERALL in the draft.... Only Glenn knows, I guess....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/10/12 ... wed-truth/
Showing up the day after a game can be viewed as a punishment to players after a loss, so the idea of making the B.C. Lions turn up to work the morning after a 38-point win and with no contest for 13 days could have been seen as a bit different.

But Mike Benevides said he had a message for his players as they headed into a bye week Sunday and the only way to make his point was for the Lions to watch how they thoroughly dominated the Ottawa Redblacks.

It obviously took awhile, but the head man saw what he wanted to see from his team Saturday, and Benevides wanted to make the point that they have a chance to still have a promising finish this season if they turn in efforts like the one the Lions had just put on tape.

“This was a heck of a statement,” Benevides said before his team scattered Sunday.

“We got to keep doing with this approach. Why not? You have to find a way to give them confidence and create an environment that’s going to galvanize them and piss them off. When you play pissed off you’ve got a chance. Today’s tape was a great expose on what it needs to be and has to be.”

Those on the sideline Saturday noticed a far more ornery man in charge and even afterwards Benevides was snapping at reporters. Heat of the game, he explained later. But you definitely got the feeling Benevides wasn’t the least but displeased, for example, when Jermarcus Hardrick and Khreem Smith got into it briefly during practice last week because in the case of the offensive line, not to mention a few other parts of the field, the aggressive nature of the Lions was pleasantly noticeable. Benevides said he singled out two linemen, Kirby Fabien and Matt Norman, for their aggressiveness in the team’s general meeting Sunday.

But it was controlled aggression, with the Lions taking just six penalties. And on a night when the defence rose up again to pitch its third touchdown shutout and fifth in six games, the most stunning part of what took place is that the defence didn’t draw a single flag.

Benevides made one other positional change he thought made a difference but had nothing to do with the roster the Lions put on the field, moving receivers coach Joe Paopao to the sideline with Travis Lulay going upstairs to the spotters’ booth.

“When you had guys playing their first game, S.J. Haidara and Stephen Adekolu being so young, Ernest Jackson and Kito (Poblah) maturing, having Joe on the sidelines with communication after every drive paid dividends. Travis gave us vision in a sterile enrivonment,” Benevides said.

Mix in solid run blocking and pass protection, five touchdowns and more smothering defensive work and you have a recipe for a few days of relaxation before the stretch drive officially kicks off with the return to practice in a little over a week.

Lowell Ullrich province.com
Watched the post-game video and its obvious Coach Benevides wanted to get this game to SINK IN before letting the players take some time off via their BYE.
As mentioned, there was that taste of nastiness by the O-line. Personally I didn't notice it from Norman as much but maybe thats becasue it was so obvious comeing from Fabien. He was NASTY but legal.....
I know its a team game but IMO, the Special Teams gameball maybe shoulda gone to Paul McCallum. IIRC, Brown was the well worthy reciepient based on his efforts but Paul is now sitting at 2,999 points and IS SECOND OVERALL behind another Lions legend in the all time scoring list. Well, they can give him a game ball and some kinda recognition after he breaks the 3000 point mark!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting, nota.
“This was a heck of a statement,” Benevides said before his team scattered Sunday.

“We got to keep doing with this approach. Why not? You have to find a way to give them confidence and create an environment that’s going to galvanize them and piss them off. When you play pissed off you’ve got a chance. Today’s tape was a great expose on what it needs to be and has to be.”
Statement? Only if it carries over. Each game, one at a time.

To me he sounds all over the map in his comment, but, what the heck, they win, he gets to crow a bit.
Benevides made one other positional change he thought made a difference but had nothing to do with the roster the Lions put on the field, moving receivers coach Joe Paopao to the sideline with Travis Lulay going upstairs to the spotters’ booth.

“When you had guys playing their first game, S.J. Haidara and Stephen Adekolu being so young, Ernest Jackson and Kito (Poblah) maturing, having Joe on the sidelines with communication after every drive paid dividends. Travis gave us vision in a sterile enrivonment,” Benevides said.
Good move. Joe PaoPao is everybody's favourite uncle. Calms the nerves. Knows the game.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

In reflecting back on this game offensively, the keys to our passing attack were 1) we gave Glenn time to throw 2) part of the reason that Glenn had time to throw was that we used misdirection play action, moved the pocket, and we often used semi-boots for Glenn (which we rarely have in the past), and we used motion and formation effectively as well.

With all that said, Ottawa played us defensively with a lot of man coverage. Our receiver talent became evident, even though we had a lot of depth receivers playing. The key to future games is also to have very well designed offensive pass plays against zone.

Too often this season Khari Jones has been calling layered crossing patterns against zone defense instead of flooding zones or designing patterns to exploit seams. Hopefully the changes that we saw in our offence against Ottawa will continue.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
ziggy
Legend

I thought Glenn had one of his best games of the year. He looked fully involved and like he truly wanted to win. Last time I saw that fire in him was our firat game against Calgary!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Rammer wrote:Why does it take the Lions coaching staff up to the point of getting fired to make changes in the offense? The fan frustration gets to the point of no return and then by some miracle, the offense makes changes and has success. Don't they understand how predictable that they are until the changes are made? To watch the passes in behind the D last night was a treat, especially all those new fans that were in attendance (boy scouts and cheer families).
It has almost become an annual tradition. :dizzy:
Welcome to Wally's world or should I say mini-Wally's world.

That is how it is in Wallyland.

I still want to know why Paopao was at field level this week.

And now we know.... see LU's column:

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
pennw
Legend

Blitz wrote:In reflecting back on this game offensively, the keys to our passing attack were 1) we gave Glenn time to throw 2) part of the reason that Glenn had time to throw was that we used misdirection play action, moved the pocket, and we often used semi-boots for Glenn (which we rarely have in the past), and we used motion and formation effectively as well.

With all that said, Ottawa played us defensively with a lot of man coverage. Our receiver talent became evident, even though we had a lot of depth receivers playing. The key to future games is also to have very well designed offensive pass plays against zone.

Too often this season Khari Jones has been calling layered crossing patterns against zone defense instead of flooding zones or designing patterns to exploit seams. Hopefully the changes that we saw in our offence against Ottawa will continue.
The key that I saw , was that BC did NOT try to force running plays early in the game like they usually do when the box is stacked , only to get stuffed resulting in the usual 2 and out pattern . Instead went to almost all pass plays early and made those vertical pass plays. Then introduced run plays later in the game more as the defense was forced out of stacking the box . The whole 50% pass/run play on first down formula is what was making the the BC offense so predictable . The passes previously had also been of the short variety on first down when they went pass first , all allowing defenses to stack the box and force lots of 2 and outs. The whole "keep doing what is working" the previous play ,is what makes an offense predicable . Mixing things up makes things unpredictable and harder for defenses to stop . If you go, lets say , 5 run plays in a row you will probably be punting the ball after the 5th attempt . Likely won't get to the 5th play in the first place . Nice to see a break in some old patterns even if it was 'just Ottawa' .
pennw
Legend

I thought too , taking away Glenn's usual go to receivers helped him tremendously in forcing him to spread the ball around , although he did make Jackson his go to guy as the game wore on . At least Glenn Knows knows now that his other receivers are all very capable guys . He's going to need to be diverse moving ahead as teams will take away his go to guy should he get to focused on any one receiver , just like they did to Manny . No doubt the Stamps took notice of Earnest Jackson , as did some other DC's. Good on the receiver for coming up real big with their focus on catching everything .
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
Blitz wrote:In reflecting back on this game offensively, the keys to our passing attack were 1) we gave Glenn time to throw 2) part of the reason that Glenn had time to throw was that we used misdirection play action, moved the pocket, and we often used semi-boots for Glenn (which we rarely have in the past), and we used motion and formation effectively as well.

The key that I saw , was that BC did NOT try to force running plays early in the game like they usually do when the box is stacked , only to get stuffed resulting in the usual 2 and out pattern . Instead went to almost all pass plays early and made those vertical pass plays. Then introduced run plays later in the game more as the defense was forced out of stacking the box . The whole 50% pass/run play on first down formula is what was making the the BC offense so predictable . The passes previously had also been of the short variety on first down when they went pass first , all allowing defenses to stack the box and force lots of 2 and outs. The whole "keep doing what is working" the previous play ,is what makes an offense predicable . Mixing things up makes things unpredictable and harder for defenses to stop . If you go, lets say , 5 run plays in a row you will probably be punting the ball after the 5th attempt . Likely won't get to the 5th play in the first place . Nice to see a break in some old patterns even if it was 'just Ottawa' .
Establish the passing game, then incorporate the run. Usually it's the other way around.
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
pennw wrote:

Establish the passing game, then incorporate the run. Usually it's the other way around.
And that is what makes it predictable ; it's the usual way . Predictable is easy to defend , it happens to BC far too much with our 50% first down formula .