Lions 41 - Ottawa 3 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

FINALLY the offence got untracked.... at least for one game. Like the way the Lions attacked the width and length of the field. Runs up the middle, sweeps to the outside, short, intermediate and long passes. Ottawa defenders didn't know what was coming next.
Alputt
Champion

Was only the strong survive Taxi Cab carnage on Pacific Blvd as 31,000 Lions fans and a sell-out home opener crowd of 18,000 Canucks faithful jostled for cabs in downtown Vancouver... All winners tonight! :good:
Blitz
Team Captain

Our B.C. Lions offence dialed up well over 500 yards of offence, our defense set a record for a stretch of games keeping the opposition out of the end zone. In other words, FINALLY, a game in which our offence and defense both played excellent football and our special teams coverage was solid as well.

Here are my post-game thoughts.

Before this game, I wrote our Lions needed to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING different to change the direction of our offence. We certainly did. Secondly, I, along with numerous other Lionbackers led by WCJ, did not buy into the injury "pity party" being advanced by our Leos brass and promoted by our sports writers. We had our best game offensively of the season with a cast of receivers and a tailback who wanted to prove that excuses are for losers and they were winners.

OFFENCE

I watched our offensive plays in this game in shock. This was not "JonesBall". This was the first game of "KBall, a very different type of football, more closely aligned with "JaquesBall". We saw a lot of differrent things offensively in this game. First of all, we were in the two back, four reciever set a ton, with Lumbala making key blocks. We didn't just run the inside zone read but instead threw in some really nice counter plays with the off-side guard and tackle leading the way.

We also moved the pocket a ton more than any previous games. We semi-booted Glenn a lot and used misdirection play action. We used four receivers to the wide side of the field at times and we even used the tight bunch formation for the first time this year. We even lined up Lumbala in the slot and used him on a pick play for Antonlin's touchdown. This was very different offence,

The result: An easier time for our offensive lineman, more time for Kevin Glenn to throw the football, and therefore more opportunity for vertical throws, which opened up the passing attack.

Kevin Glenn: Which CFL quarterback has more wins than any other CFL quarterback since 2011. No, its not Travis Lulay or Ricky Ray or Henry Burris or Darian Durrant. The answer is Kevin Glenn.

Last night Glenn showed what he can be, given time to throw. Glenn showed how tough he is, when on the first offensive play of the game, he took a wicked hit to throw to Ernest Jackson deep and also ripped his finger nail off, hitting Norman's helmet on the play. But on the next series, Glenn was back in, with a glove on, playing through the pain. Give Glenn time and he can make big time throws.

This game also showed that you don't have to keep Glenn in the pocket. He showed that he can semi-boot off play action and throw very successfully.

Ernest Jackson: Ernest Jackson had a tremendous game but that should not have been a shock. It wasn't to me. I've been a huge fan of Jackson since his first year and remember well my support of him in the debate of whether he or Kierrie Johnson should be our starter. I've always liked his size, speed, toughness, and especially his excellent hands and willingness to make the tough catch.

It was a treat last night to see my belief in Jackson rewarded. We just targeted Ernest Jackson more last night and he proved, that he can more than handle the spotlight of an offence. His 195 yards of receiving was huge and he proved that Arsenault is not the only receiver on our Leos who has the ability to get deep.

Keoli Antolin: He sat on the practice roster, after an excellent training camp, until activated last game. Antolin showed great bursts of speed, both when hitting the line of scrimmage and also when getting into the second layer. He also showed that he can be a weapon out of the backfield in the passing game and he can pass block effectively as well, when needed. Antolin rushed for 147 yards and had 45 receiving yards - that's almost 200 yards of offence from a tailback in only his second pro start.

Shawn Gore: It can be easy to forget that Shawn Gore is the only Leo reciever since 2003, other than Geroy Simon, to lead our offensie receivers in passing yardage. Gore played a solid game against Ottawa and showed flashes of that previous ability to lead our receiving core.

Lav Tuinei: This new starting import reciver had 5 catches for 57 yards but it was his smoothness, his confidence, and his ability to come back to the football aggressively that impressed me. He was a big target at 6 feet 5 inches and he showed that he can go deep. Tuinei's numbers also don't show the pass interference calls he created.

Kirby Fabian: Kirby Fabian had to come into the game for an injured Dean Valli. Playing in his old right gurad spot, that he started at, last season, before he was injured, Fabian looked back at home. Shunted out of the starting linup this season, as was Ernest Jackson, Fabian also looked like he wanted to prove something and he did in this game. Fabian looked solid and effective at right guard during his time of action. You never want to see a player injured but it was good to see Fabian get his opportunity to get back on the field and play well.

This was our best offensive game of the season because 1) we changed a lot of things scheme and play call wise 2) we moved the pocket 3) we used the two back set a lot with Lumbala 4) we went vertical to a receiver other than Arsenault and 5) We threw to our outside receivers deep, medium, and short - when we threw the same hitch screen twice in a row you knew something was different in our offensive thinkng for the first time this season. 6) ) our offensive players who either stepped up or stepped in didn't read the newspapers this week or they read them and felt pissed off and wanted to show they could get it done.

DEFENCE

Our offence this season has been so unimaginative until last night and we have been so hungry for points, touchdown, drives, anything, so therefore the spotlight was on our offence. It overshadows what was another excellent defensive performance.

This was a record-setting performance by our Leos defence, which didn’t allow a touchdown for the fifth time in six outings and third in a row. The five-in-six mark is a league record

Our defense has players who can just plain cover people. Burris was held to 143 yards passing as we kept the Red Blacks out of the end zone and limited them to one field goal. It was also obvious in this game, by watching the sidelines and post-game, which B.C. Lions coaches are the most respected. Its obviously our defensive coaches of Washington, Holland, and Hairston. You can see the rapport and respect between coaches and players. Perhaps Jone's success in this game can create that same sold 'BELIEVE' feeling on offence. As for Benny, well the players can't turn their backs on his high fives and hugs.

Even with Yell out, we just blanketed Ottawa's receivers most of the night and Burris had to make some outstanding throws when he did complete the football. Lee was impressive again. Our pass coverage players of Parks, Phillips, Torri Williams, Parker, Lee, Bighill, Josh Johnson have outstanding cover skills. Yell and Marsh, when healthy, bring high levels of ability.

With Eliminian roving the middle line a heat seeking missile, this is a tough defense to score against.

We don't have the huge pass rush but Bazzie continues to impress with his quickness and his smarts. Westerman has stepped into a starting role and we haven't missed Mitchell since he has.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Chuck ("The Fog") McMann had our downfield coverage units flying around against Ottawa but perhaps that had more to do with the fact they were pumped up by our offence as well as our defence and wanted to be part of the success story. Adekolu recovered a botched Ottawa punt for a big turnover later in the game. We really didn't spring Brown and we had a too many men on the field penalty on special teams but we didn't give up any big returns, which was an improvement.

WRAP

If Jones will stick with KBall for another game ( keep the running game diversity, utilize the Lumbala two back set, keep the misdirection play action, move the pocket as we did last night, and take advantage of formations as we did against Ottawa, and continue to integrate receivers who can get it done if we throw to them eg: Ernest Jackson) our offence has an opportunity to play a role in writing a success story for the rest of the season.

This was one game, against Ottawa at home. But even so, this was a different offence, not just because players stepped up but because we ran our offence differently. And a big reason we ran our offence differently, used different formations and plays is because we were without both Taylor and Arsenault. It forced us to do things differently and it was those differences that made all the DIFFERENCE, which resulted in offensive SUCCESS.

Benevedes was back, unfortunately...high fiving, fist pumping, hugging, and then having a little tantrum on the sidelines in the last 3 minutes, over what, who knows. But with an excellent performance on both sides of the footballball - over 500 yards of offence, no touchdowns against, and decent downfield special teams coverage, it was easier to put up with.

Hopefully we can use this game as a spring board for the remainder of the season. With a championship calibre defense, we've known all season that, if we could get our offence going and our special teams just not giving up big plays, we have the talent to beat anyone.

I'm going to savor the victory!!!! :beer: :beer:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Great post Blitz. Your comments are spot on about the Lions increased use of the 2 back set. I really dislike 5 or 6 receiver sets as the QB rarely gets a chance to look for the 5th or 6th guy. Better to have the HB and FB be the 5th or 6th read on occasion, and then after they have made a block and slipped in behind a LB, get a short pass.

On Tuinei's TD, Lumbala was lined up as a SB and made enough of a brush block on a defender to give Glenn the time to throw. However the defender got in Glenn's face causing a looper pass that Tuinei made a great aggressive adjustment to in the end zone.

On Antolin's TD celebration he was doing a "paddling a surf board". Antolin is from Hawaii. I'm not a big fan of TD celebrations but what the heck, LETS GO SURF'IN for the rest of the season.
Rammer
Team Captain

Why does it take the Lions coaching staff up to the point of getting fired to make changes in the offense? The fan frustration gets to the point of no return and then by some miracle, the offense makes changes and has success. Don't they understand how predictable that they are until the changes are made? To watch the passes in behind the D last night was a treat, especially all those new fans that were in attendance (boy scouts and cheer families).
Entertainment value = an all time low
Dusty
Champion

Excellent summary Blitz. During the game, I said to my seat mate that some of the plays from our Leos were a surprise to me. And if I was surprised, then the Redblacks must have been too. I like the play action-misdirection plays and it was nice to see more of them. On the O-Line, I thought Jermarcus Hardrick was a beast, pulling blocks on both sides of the line and wanting to dominate the line of scrimmage. It was fun being in the stadium last night.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Why does it take the Lions coaching staff up to the point of getting fired to make changes in the offense? The fan frustration gets to the point of no return and then by some miracle, the offense makes changes and has success. Don't they understand how predictable that they are until the changes are made? To watch the passes in behind the D last night was a treat, especially all those new fans that were in attendance (boy scouts and cheer families).
x2

Got to fix those little mistakes where players are not going in with either the right information and/or preperation to run those key plays (Beck needed to call timeout on short yardage down near goal-line). And our recievers deserve KUDOS for taking AWAY two balls that would have been INTS in most games the Lions played so far this year.....

I must have been asleep when they announced this in the stadium (THEY HAD TO HAVE SAID SOMETHING) regarding ex Ottawa RoughRider, Sask. Rider and current BC Lion Paul McCallum moving into second place behind LUI on the all-time CFL scoring list! :beer: Noway he's getting higher than second and that is nothing to be ashamed of......!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rammer wrote:Why does it take the Lions coaching staff up to the point of getting fired to make changes in the offense? The fan frustration gets to the point of no return and then by some miracle, the offense makes changes and has success. Don't they understand how predictable that they are until the changes are made? To watch the passes in behind the D last night was a treat, especially all those new fans that were in attendance (boy scouts and cheer families).
It has almost become an annual tradition. :dizzy:
The_Pauser
Legend

Keep in mind not to get too high (just like we shouldn't get too low if we lose next week, or lose against Edmonton/Calgary at the end of the season). This was only Ottawa...by far the worst team in the league. Sure we were worried about this game based on our recent play, but this was a game where we were favoured by 10 points despite our poor recent play. Ottawa is a very bad team, and we were supposed to win anyway. We were supposed to win this big anyway (funny sidenote: the over/under was 44.5, and I considered placing a bet on the under...would have been sweating near the end had I done that).

Granted there were a lot of great things to take away. The biggest thing that I get excited about was the playcalling. On 2nd down we completely cut out the "throw the ball to a receiver who is 3-5 yards behind the first down mark." I would say almost all of the plays were to players who were at or past the first down mark, and what do ya know...we converted on a lot of 2nd downs. Did we even have any 2 and outs?

The defense is definitely championship calibre. And you know what they say...defense wins championships. We'll see if this holds true this year. I don't expect our offense to put up 41 points every game, but if we can keep the game plan very similar to what we saw last night we should at least put up a few touchdowns every game. Spot our D with 21 points in a playoff game and that could be all we need.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Maybe it was coincidence. Maybe it was just me. Did the Lions run not seem to spring to life after Valli went down and get replaced by Fabien? I thought the run attack was average up to that point but really didn't become dangerous, especially on the right side, until Fabien replaced Valli.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Great comments everyone...Joe thanks for that awesome diary...it was great again to go through your thoughts as the game progressed. Blitz bang on analysis of what went right, much of which we have been screaming for most of the season...as I said, playaction passing off of an effective ground game is virtually uncover able...and with Jackson's and Tuinei's height, neither can be stopped without interfering...will it continue is now the key for the Lions...they have 3 tough games remaining, including a must win game vs. the Bombers next week. Jones must keep the same game plan going forward...

Blitz both you and I were vindicated for our support of EJ as a legit receiver...many of us felt he would be a great target Glenn if he ever got moved inside...also for Antolin who we both supported out of TC.

Another great effort by the D...and hey, the LB blitzes even worked...

Big game next week!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Hambone wrote:Maybe it was coincidence. Maybe it was just me. Did the Lions run not seem to spring to life after Valli went down and get replaced by Fabien? I thought the run attack was average up to that point but really didn't become dangerous, especially on the right side, until Fabien replaced Valli.
Very good observation Hambone, I noticed the same thing...If his knee is fine, then we should move forward with Fabien, he's a real talent, especially at that RG position. The Lions have moved this young player around too much. Settle him at RG and hope he stays healthy!

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

It was clear that all the coaches got a talk from Wally this week...Paopao needs to stay down on the field to help that young, inexperience WR crew...Lulay can stay up in the box...Wally sure lit another fire under MB again...early in the game he was in the face of Jones after a 2 and out and Jones ended up just walking away...then, for some bizarre reason, he got in the grill of Washington too...

But again, WHY does it have to be the shotgun to the head before we get solid game plans???

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Maybe it was coincidence. Maybe it was just me. Did the Lions run not seem to spring to life after Valli went down and get replaced by Fabien? I thought the run attack was average up to that point but really didn't become dangerous, especially on the right side, until Fabien replaced Valli.
Yes, I noticed that too. I'm not saying Valli is a nice guy or anything but Fabien seems dominating without stepping into doing too much. IOW, Fabien seems to have some nastiness that Valli doesn't use the same way....

(I'll give that 'game diary' a shot on a road game. In the stadium there is no way I could keep notes etc...)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

notahomer wrote: Yes, I noticed that too. I'm not saying Valli is a nice guy or anything but Fabien seems dominating without stepping into doing too much. IOW, Fabien seems to have some nastiness that Valli doesn't use the same way....

(I'll give that 'game diary' a shot on a road game. In the stadium there is no way I could keep notes etc...)
I hear you. Valli isn't a choir boy nor afraid to get involved when nastiness ensues but it seems like his involvement is usuallu reactionary as oppoesed to being the one who instigates.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.