Leos/Red Blacks Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Don't forget guys to create your in game diaries tonight by the quarter...they will be greatly appreciated!

MLF
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Special teams make a huge difference in the psyche of a team as they are critical in setting the tone as well as getting field position.

However the opposite creeps in when the tone is penalties - other than the 5 yard variety. I know teams these days don't worry about the 5 yd kind and appear to coach to get the guy down and take he 5 yarder. I think that is not the best thinking process as it can lead to the 15 yards.

Trick plays is not Wally or Wally Jr as these dudes think only of the bad result not how it too can set a tone and inspire confidence.

Nothing set the tone better for the first year in the dome than Don Matthews Lions opening the season and first home game vs. SASK with a recovered onside kick off. That sent BC Place into a frenzy as the full dome went wild. It was not only unbelievable it was brilliantly executed. Remember Lui Passaglia is not just a PMcCallum kicker type - big Lu played soccer and could feather a chip shot. Lui could also make a football play on a fake punt. Paul Mc - not so much.

Players love trick plays but if the coaches don't believe in their abilities to teach and players to execute - then these wont' work. Introducing these things into practices get players focused again.

My fear in the way pro football is coached these days is that too often DEF players aren't catching enough passes and like the Argo - Branden Smith - yesterday - can't even catch a pass right in the hands. In his case Rod Black said there was nothing between him and the end zone on that ill fated Collaros pass. Smith dropos and on the next play into coverage Collaros tosses a TD. I like that Black calls it as he sees it. A sure TD blown and no excuse.

I like trick plays in all sports if not overdone. Really focuses guys' minds in practice. Makes it exciting . Not all are smart enough though to do these things. But when you have them like Wally coached Lions and not use them - it doesn't inspire a team.

Joe Galat before he came to BC to screw us up had a bad Als team and they would direct snap on 3rd down and gamble.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy