The Spin is On

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The spin is definitely on for our Leos after reading two articles in our two major newspapers sports sections today.

First of all, this intro in a Lowell Ullrich article in the Province today
The current disparity in the level of play between the defence and offence is no different now than when Mark Washington played for the B.C. Lions, when he sat in on meetings and occasionally had teammates wonder why the unit formerly run by offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chapdelaine couldn’t score.

It is the pursuit of perfection that is responsible for maintaining proper focus these days now that Washington is the defensive co-ordinator of the CFL team. Keeping his group grounded while the offence under Khari Jones is behaving as the Lions once did under Chapdelaine requires only requires a simple act.
Mark Washinton played for our Leos from 2003-2008. Chapdelaine was our offensive coordinator in 2005-2006, of those seasons. Our offence finished 2nd in the CFL in scoring in 2005 and 1st in 2006. In the seasons that Mark Washington played for our Leos our offence, in terms of scoring finished 2nd in 2003, 1st in 2004, 2nd in 2005, 1st in 2006, 1st in 2007, and 3rd in 2008.

Mark Washington didn't have to sit around in meetings as a player wondering why our offence couldn't score. However, I'm sure there were some offensive players during that time who worried if Washington could defend the opposition receiver. Washington only had 8 interceptions during his career with our Leos and he had to be moved to nickel (he was replaced by rookie Ryan Phillips) because his pass coverage skills were the weakest of our secondary during his time with our Leos.

The second article is by Mike Beamish and it's even more deceptive. It begins as follows:
Beat goes on for bruised, bandaged brigade

Struggling squad refuses to feel sorry for itself despite near-record injury list

Then after piling up a list of our most recent injuries the article states:
According to the Canadian Football League’s chief statistician, Steve Daniel, the Lions have used 40 different players in a starting role at least once this season, and 65 players have dressed for at least one game. That is four short of the team’s all-time record of 69 players employed in 2002.
This is very deceptive. It makes it seem as if the need to use so many players in a starting role has been due to injury. The reality is that we did not have many injuries for most of this season. The use of so many starting players has mainly been due to rotational choices at offensive left guard and tackle, receiver, and defensive line.

We've had a lot of injuries to key players lately but for most of the season to date, we did not suffer a lot of injuries.

The Beamish article has an "appearance" that he went out to dinner with Wally and Benevedes the evening before writing the article and was added to the Lions publicity department. The article sounds so all heroic as the 'struggling squad marches, without feeling sorry for itself as it marches on through adversity.

The reality is that we lost most of our games this season due to poor play by our offence, when most of our starters were in the lineup, including Arsenault, Taylor, Harris, Logan, etc. We also lost to Ottawa with Lulay as our starter.

Numerous posters have written on Lionbackers that injuries would be the excuse to keep on going next season with our same Leo coaching staff.

:thdn: It seems like the spin is on. :thdn:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

"You spin me right round, baby. Right round like a record, baby. Right round round round. I (I-I-I) got to be your friend now, baby."

No surprise really, in fact we are likely going to hear them coming in bunches for the remainder of the season. Especially from the head jok...coach guy. Granted the Lions aren't playing like they can, if they weren't injured, but every team this season has looked at a lengthy IL at some point, including key players ala the Lions of late. That the Lions offense isn't putting up numbers now, glosses over the inept offensive play calling. I see David asked when was the last time the Lions went for over 10 yards on a first down....well even if it was last game, the opposition D are well aware that it isn't done enough for them not to crash down on the receivers in the 10 yard zone. This is reminding me more and more of how Paopao likes to draw up plays...maybe KJ is leaning on the experience of Joe.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Blitz, I agree that the article that compares Washington's days as a player on a strong D with a weak O was a less than believable stretch and to me reads like a sports reporter trying to find something to write about.

I don't recall much about Washington's play as an individual but I do recall that he came to the Lions late in his career, he suffered some injuries and when ever he didn't play the Lions lost. When Washington was in the game he was a leader and was a on the field coach, resulting in a lot of Lions wins. Thus it was a natural for him to become a DB coach as soon as he retired.

IMO, Washington as a rookie DC, is doing a great job with a talented group. Pass rush and run stopping are still a concern.
pennw
Legend

Blitz wrote: The reality is that we lost most of our games this season due to poor play by our offence, when most of our starters were in the lineup, including Arsenault, Taylor, Harris, Logan, etc. We also lost to Ottawa with Lulay as our starter.
Actually , we won that game even though it felt like a loss . :wink:
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Blitz, I agree that the article that compares Washington's days as a player on a strong D with a weak O was a less than believable stretch and to me reads like a sports reporter trying to find something to write about.

I don't recall much about Washington's play as an individual but I do recall that he came to the Lions late in his career, he suffered some injuries and when ever he didn't play the Lions lost. When Washington was in the game he was a leader and was a on the field coach, resulting in a lot of Lions wins. Thus it was a natural for him to become a DB coach as soon as he retired.

IMO, Washington as a rookie DC, is doing a great job with a talented group. Pass rush and run stopping are still a concern.

Mark Washington has done a very good job this year as our defensive coordinator. However, it was completely unnecessary as well as a cheap shot to make the comment that he did. Washington had his struggles at times as a defensive back..I remember him getting torched over and over again in a game against Winnipeg. However, he did much better at nickel, where is brights and solid tackling were an asset.

Washington's defense this season is not an aggressive defense, gets few sacks, run defense is average, but we are an outstanding pass defense, even with LaRose. That's mainly because we have excellent coverage guys at corner and halfback as well as nickel and Bighill is also an superb cover linebacker. Washington deserves credit for our ability to keep opposition teams out of the end zone.

However, the Beamish article was skillfully written to be misleading. A fan who was not knowledgeable would assume that the reason for an almost record number of different starters this season was due to injuries. It also serves Benevedes well for sports readers to think that.

In terms of the Ottawa "loss' that was actually a win for our offence, even without scoring a touchdown ..I apologize penw...I think it must have just felt like a loss to me... :wink:

I love your singing posts WCJ....a little rock and roll with a touch of blues.. :thup: :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
Blitz wrote: The reality is that we lost most of our games this season due to poor play by our offence, when most of our starters were in the lineup, including Arsenault, Taylor, Harris, Logan, etc. We also lost to Ottawa with Lulay as our starter.
Actually , we won that game even though it felt like a loss . :wink:
It sure DID feel like a loss (and I'm not talking about Lulay's injury). :dizzy:
Blitz
Team Captain

This spin thing is going on and on. Today it was Ed Wllles and Cam Cole making out as if the reason our offence has sucked this season is due to injuries. We've mostly had our full offensive lineup healthyy except for Lulay and Steward (who was pencilled in as a backup guard to start the season) for most of this season. We had our full offensive lineup against Ottawa last time we played them, including Lulay and didn't score and offensive touchdown.

We had Arsenault, Harris, Logan, and Taylor for a ton of games this season and our offence was awful. Now all these sports writers are making out as if the offence has been injury depleted all season.

And here is Wally orchestrating the whole thing....to protect his protégé.
For now, the man in charge says what is happening to the Lions is no way a result of letting the wrong players escape but simply a byproduct of the worst concentration of injuries in more than a decade.

I'm so happy for Lionabackers and so many knowledgeable posters. If I was relying on the sports media right now, I would have a completely distorted view of what has happened this season. I would be feeling great sympathy for Benevedes and Jones. Certainly that is the theme that appears to be the desired outcome for us Lions fans to be feeling from the sports writers right now. I'm not buying into it.

Right now its an injury depleted lineup on offence. But that is not why our offence has struggled for most of this season. Its struggled because we didn't game plan well, play call well, block well, make half time adjustments or score...and that happened with most of our offensive stars in the lineup.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The football writers should quit drinking the Kool Aid served up by Buono
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:The football writers should quit drinking the Kool Aid served up by Buono
They LOVE the stuff....especially the strawberry!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus Wally gives them a nice big smile or nod after one of those articles...it must be really ego inflating when that happens. Who knows...perhaps an Italian dinner one day ..is a tantalizing prospect.

Instead of writing INJURY PLAGUED SEASON, they could write INJURY PLAGUED LATTER SEASON but they would not be able to use the Lions water fountain at practice if they did that.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It's ridiculous and great job Blitz calling out the organization. The Wally kool-aid should have been served before the season opener then instead of Benevides gushing about the trade for the QB who led the Stampeders to a 1st place in 2013.

Let's see. Harris, Taylor and Logan all were healthy when the Lions were held to 3 2nd half points in their season opening loss to Edmonton or how about the god awful 24-9 loss a week later in Montreal? Don't forget the 23-6 home loss debacle to the Bombers or managing a measly 3 points in the final 40 minutes on "guaranteed" win day against the Riders.

The offence has been putrid for almost the entire season regardless of the injuries.

There was a tough stretch at the end of the 2005 season after the 11-0 start (one that Blitz and others predicted was coming) but NEVER in the Buono era has the offence looked as inept from the start of the season as it does now.

Meanwhile thanks to the work of the Mad Scientist rookie T-Dre Player has gone from being a starter to not even being on the active roster. Other young lineman like Kirby and Norman have regressed considerably to the point where the Lions are now burning 3 international spots on the oline and it still can't create running lanes. When is enough is enough?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Great comments Sammy, everyone...Blitz you are bang on here...this is a pathetic effort by Wally to protect his backside for extending MB for NO FOOTBALL REASON AT ALL. The injuries of late are key, but this offence STUNK with no adjustments LONG BEFORE the rash of injuries...and most of the injuries can be placed on the shoulders of the offensive coaches, especially Dorazio who encourages passive play from the OLinemen...the more you go laterally without force and purpose, the greater chance that your 300 + lb. body will get hurt. If you have OLinemen going North/South or pulling laterally, they tend not to get injured. Harris got hurt twice this season from trying to do TOO MUCH and running into brick walls...

This whole organization is a mess right now and the best thing that can happen, sadly, is if we lose out which will put MASSIVE pressure on Wally to change his staff...and as I have said all season long, this mess lays at the doorstep to Wally Buono...a 5 year slide under Wally...we need really smart X's and O's guys in here that can out game plan a John Hufnagel or Scott Milanovich...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

We've had some injuries on defence TOO! Hope come they have opened up like a sieve and let tons of TD's.......