Ryan Phillips appreciation thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

It's about time to give this guy his due. Some respect. 176 straight games (!), and a 4-time CFL All-Star (and CFL West All-Star).

Sure, his tackling and aggression have been knocked many times on this board, although I think it's improved over time. And yea, he took a dumb objectionable conduct penalty last night (sure, he was the instigator, but I've never seen a retaliatory head-butt not get flagged!) but even at 31 years old, Ryan Phillips flat-out breaks up pass attempts. He's seldom beaten one-on-one and often has no over-the-top safety help.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

You'd have to ask the guys in the room but I'm betting he's a leader OFF of the field too.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:It's about time to give this guy his due. Some respect. 176 straight games (!), and a 4-time CFL All-Star (and CFL West All-Star).

Sure, his tackling and aggression have been knocked many times on this board, although I think it's improved over time. And yea, he took a dumb objectionable conduct penalty last night (sure, he was the instigator, but I've never seen a retaliatory head-butt not get flagged), but even at 31 years old Ryan Phillips flat-out breaks up pass attempts. He's seldom beaten one-on-one and often has no over-the-top safety help.

Yes. I agree.

About his habit of tip toeing through the tulips, dodging landmines ... It is not his job to make killer hits. His job is to cover. His style has kept him healthy all these years. In view of his great, great cover ability, I think we can overlook his occasional avoidance of contact.

He is one of the all time Lions. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

notahomer wrote:You'd have to ask the guys in the room but I'm betting he's a leader OFF of the field too.
He is. He's one of the players I've gotten to know off the field and he really is as much of a leader off the field as he is on it. Great football player and an even better human being.
Roar you Lions roar!
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
David wrote:It's about time to give this guy his due. Some respect. 176 straight games (!), and a 4-time CFL All-Star (and CFL West All-Star).

Sure, his tackling and aggression have been knocked many times on this board, although I think it's improved over time. And yea, he took a dumb objectionable conduct penalty last night (sure, he was the instigator, but I've never seen a retaliatory head-butt not get flagged), but even at 31 years old Ryan Phillips flat-out breaks up pass attempts. He's seldom beaten one-on-one and often has no over-the-top safety help.

Yes. I agree.

About his habit of tip toeing through the tulips, dodging landmines ... It is not his job to make killer hits. His job is to cover. His style has kept him healthy all these years. In view of his great, great cover ability, I think we can overlook his occasional avoidance of contact.

He is one of the all time Lions. :thup:
Funny how the very aspect of his game that I can not stand, is what allows him to run his games played streak.

I guess his idea of playing in the CFL has done him well, so cudos to his game streak.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
notahomer wrote:You'd have to ask the guys in the room but I'm betting he's a leader OFF of the field too.
He is. He's one of the players I've gotten to know off the field and he really is as much of a leader off the field as he is on it. Great football player and an even better human being.

I based my comment on seeing him and being around him on those two Operation Orange trips. And to me leadership is as much about WHAT YOU DO as to what you may/may not say.......
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I defended him when his coach trashed him suggesting he was wanting to play injured just to keep his streak alive. I thought that was wrong and noted that he was in the line up that game.

I thought as did TSN he played well and yes, continuity is a key in these teams as long as the player can do the job still.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Not the most adept of tacklers, but when you figure he's spent all these years doing both his job and whatever mediocre safety we've lined up behind him's job as well, he gets full kudos.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

You are right David, he tackles like a Spanish bull fighter, Ole, but other than that he's been a great Lion...very smart football player, plus he's honest to the fans, always telling it like it is after the game regardless of the consequences!!! Thank you Ryan!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Compared to Brian Donnelly, Ryan Phillips is a hellacious tackler.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I know he's a reciever but Eskimo Bowman sure gave a terrible effort on tackling after a Reilly INT last game. It was like he was moving from block to block hoping to be engaged rather than having to tackle.....

IMO, Phillips tackling has look fine this season......