The Positives

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Well there are always some positives to take from the game, and Thanksgiving is coming up so, I thought that I would offer up some thanks to the Lions...

1. Offense is focused on two and outs to help rack up SolE's tackle chances
2. Majority of the 'gauranteed win' freebie tickets won't be used
3. I can save space on my PVR
4. I can bet on any offensive series that the Lions will go two and out and come out way ahead
5. I can bet on the post game show containing the word "execute" if I hear Benevides
6. I can bet that the Lions will draw a 5 yard no yards call, only to allow it to develop into a much larger gain
7. Scalpers tickets for GC are going to be available on the cheap side
8. I can play search on the dial once again for the Lions games
9. Once the first half is over, I know what to expect in the second half
10. No need to spend money at the Lions Sale day, unless we all chip in for David to purchase several different game worn coaches outfits.
Entertainment value = an all time low
dupsdell1
Champion

Rammer wrote:Well there are always some positives to take from the game, and Thanksgiving is coming up so, I thought that I would offer up some thanks to the Lions...

1. Offense is focused on two and outs to help rack up SolE's tackle chances
2. Majority of the 'gauranteed win' freebie tickets won't be used
3. I can save space on my PVR
4. I can bet on any offensive series that the Lions will go two and out and come out way ahead
5. I can bet on the post game show containing the word "execute" if I hear Benevides
6. I can bet that the Lions will draw a 5 yard no yards call, only to allow it to develope into a much larger gain
7. Scalpers tickets for GC are going to be available on the cheap side
8. I can play search on the dial once again for the Lions games
9. Once the first half is over, I know what to expect in the second half
10. No need to spend money at the Lions Sale day, unless we all chip in for David to purchase several different game worn coaches outfits.

I guarantee the grey cup will not sell out ( unless sask is in it)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Only 4 more games left in the season.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

When I saw the thread tittle I thought, Rammer has lost it or he must be referring to the D.

We might as well laugh at the Lions O because it hurts to much to take it too seriously.
ballhawk
Legend

dupsdell1 wrote:

I guarantee the grey cup will not sell out ( unless sask is in it)[/quote]

Pretty sad commentary on Vancouver "CFL-based" fans. So Vancouver is not going to be in the Grey Cup. Get over it!! Enjoy the game and occasion. I was at the 2005 Grey Cup and the Lions weren't in it and it was a sell-out and a pretty good game to say the least.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

ballhawk wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:

Pretty sad commentary on Vancouver "CFL-based" fans. So Vancouver is not going to be in the Grey Cup. Get over it!! Enjoy the game and occasion. I was at the 2005 Grey Cup and the Lions weren't in it and it was a sell-out and a pretty good game to say the least.[/quote]
With the Grey Cup having been here so recently before I think there might be some fatigue factor at play here. The last time it was held here only three years since the previous one was 1990 and it too had weak sales (it snapped a streak of consecutive 50k GC crowds that started in 1976 with the first one ever). I'm not sure if the main reason we're having it again so soon is that there were no other takers or Braley figured on giving himself another final big payday. This will likely be the last one here under his ownership.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
ballhawk wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:

Pretty sad commentary on Vancouver "CFL-based" fans. So Vancouver is not going to be in the Grey Cup. Get over it!! Enjoy the game and occasion. I was at the 2005 Grey Cup and the Lions weren't in it and it was a sell-out and a pretty good game to say the least.
With the Grey Cup having been here so recently before I think there might be some fatigue factor at play here. The last time it was held here only three years since the previous one was 1990 and it too had weak sales (it snapped a streak of consecutive 50k GC crowds that started in 1976 with the first one ever). I'm not sure if the main reason we're having it again so soon is that there were no other takers or Braley figured on giving himself another final big payday. This will likely be the last one here under his ownership.[/quote]

The prices weren't where they are at currently either back in the day, even the 2005 GC. I do agree it is Braley milking the GC for what it is worth, he isn't as wealthy as he is for no reason.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

On further reading to refresh myself, it was initially to have been played in Ottawa this year but delays in getting their team back in the league meant it had to move so DB stepped in.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Great stuff Rammer...sad, but true...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Spud387
Champion

I didn't buy GC tickets because of the cost. Would I love to watch it no matter who are in it? YES!

However, I'd rather spend that money in a different year and see a grey cup in a different city than at home, again, after only 3yrs.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:I didn't buy GC tickets because of the cost. Would I love to watch it no matter who are in it? YES!

However, I'd rather spend that money in a different year and see a grey cup in a different city than at home, again, after only 3yrs.
Hey,if you hang around outside the stadium right up to just past kickoff, you'll probably be able to get tickets for next to nothing. Or for nothing.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Great list Rammer..

The positives:

You still have your free guaranteed win night ticket for any of the final games.
You can't lose betting the over-under with these Lions.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy