Fire Khari Jones

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This sort of answers what I have felt from the swagger of this REC corps is that they think they are better than they are.

How is that this problem wasn't addressed by the HC - REC coach has no power.

Right now if I were Wally and was looking for a change in the internal culture I might do two calls:

1. Geroy Simon.
2. Arland Bruce - well that is problematic as he has law suits but leak something to the media that 'it's too bad Arland Bruce has retired'. See how fast Arland signs a release clearing the Lions and the CFL and all things football for head injuries. He could claim he's been to a faith healer even and be in the fold for the final run.

Geroy might have played a role in getting Kruck demoted along with the kabal of REC they had at the time but he 's not one to suffer bad play and IMO he might be ablt to still contribute on the field.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
It’s the little things that are killing the B.C. Lions these days, so that was why support staff were busy marking out their workspace Wednesday as if a road rally was about to take place on the practice field.

Something as simple as not running pass routes deep enough was critical in the loss to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. It’s why staffers used small plastic cones to tape down proper yard markers at Tom Binnie Field in Surrey, which is lined for youth soccer, so their receivers can work properly.
Teaching the receiver to run 10 yard patterns is a good start.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Teaching the receiver to run 10 yard patterns is a good start.
CATCHING the ball has been a problem too but I get it, running 4 yard patterns when its 2&five is a problem they need FIXED...
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Teaching the receiver to run 10 yard patterns is a good start.
CATCHING the ball has been a problem too but I get it, running 4 yard patterns when its 2&five is a problem they need FIXED...
I commented on that in the game-day thread. Antolin and Arceneaux both killed drives by running four-yard crossing routes instead of five. Arceneaux should know better.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:Danny Barrrett- Running Backs coach UCF. Someone must have his number on their Rolodex/Contacts list
You'd have to think he's still on Shivers friends and family plan, no?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote: I realize all teams suffer injuries but I'd say the Lions coaches and GM would be doing a better job if they had Travis Lulay at QB all season. :wink:
With a proper and accommodating offensive game plan, we'd have Travis Lulay at QB right now. So there's that.

But I appreciate your optimism, regardless. (I really do. I hate being a pessimist, and I'd love to be wrong about things.)
David
Team Captain

We seem to constantly require 3 downs to obtain 10 yards (John Beck is one of our most active ball carriers). When was the last time we threw for 10+ yards on first down. Anyone??

Bueller? :dizzy:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:
JohnHenry wrote: I realize all teams suffer injuries but I'd say the Lions coaches and GM would be doing a better job if they had Travis Lulay at QB all season. :wink:
With a proper and accommodating offensive game plan, we'd have Travis Lulay at QB right now. So there's that.

But I appreciate your optimism, regardless. (I really do. I hate being a pessimist, and I'd love to be wrong about things.)
I think most posters are being realistic about the Lions chances not pessimistic. And surprisingly very few haters here which I think speaks to the very high level of analysis that we get on Lionbackers.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:We seem to constantly require 3 downs to obtain 10 yards (John Beck is one of our most active ball carriers). When was the last time we threw for 10+ yards on first down. Anyone??

To answer your specific question, it happened four times in the Hamilton game. Glenn threw for 34 yards to EJ on first down in the first quarter, Arceneaux threw a 17-yard TD pass to Gore on first down in the third quarter and Glenn threw back-to-back first-down passes of 16-yards to Haidara and 10 yards to Antolin late in the fourth quarter.

More generally, the Lions' ball-control offence relies heavily on first-down runs and short passes. I've mentioned previously that the Lions are among the league-leaders in second-down conversions and have the third fewest number of 2-and-outs. They run 50% of the time on first down (only Saskatchewan runs more) and pick up an average of 5.3 yards on those first-down runs, leaving them regularly in second and 5.
South Pender
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
David wrote:We seem to constantly require 3 downs to obtain 10 yards (John Beck is one of our most active ball carriers). When was the last time we threw for 10+ yards on first down. Anyone??

To answer your specific question, it happened four times in the Hamilton game. Glenn threw for 34 yards to EJ on first down in the first quarter, Arceneaux threw a 17-yard TD pass to Gore on first down in the third quarter and Glenn threw back-to-back first-down passes of 16-yards to Haidara and 10 yards to Antolin late in the fourth quarter.

More generally, the Lions' ball-control offence relies heavily on first-down runs and short passes. I've mentioned previously that the Lions are among the league-leaders in second-down conversions and have the third fewest number of 2-and-outs. They run 50% of the time on first down (only Saskatchewan runs more) and pick up an average of 5.3 yards on those first-down runs, leaving them regularly in second and 5.
Those are very interesting statistics, B.C.FAN, and a bit of a surprise to me. It`s always great to get hard data on things; it can change our perspective. Having a lot of 2nd-and-5s doesn`t represent a case of putting oneself in the situation of having a real uphill battle to make first downs. Although 2nd-and-2 is better obviously, 2nd-and-5 is doable in the CFL. And, as you say, the Lions are among the league-leaders in converting on 2nd down. I`m surprised (but definitely not doubting your data).
notahomer
Hall of Famer

As for stats, one defensive player (Bighill?) trotted out the stat that 83% of the time a defense scores a TOUCHDOWN, (which the Lions Ronnie Yell- edit- OOPS J Johson got the TD-did versus Hamilton), that team wins the football game.

Don't know where he got that stat from but it makes sense......doesnt' mean its a legit stat though....
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:As for stats, one defensive player (Bighill?) trotted out the stat that 83% of the time a defense scores a TOUCHDOWN, (which the Lions Ronnie Yell- edit- OOPS J Johson got the TD-did versus Hamilton), that team wins the football game.

Don't know where he got that stat from but it makes sense......doesnt' mean its a legit stat though....
Well then the Lions at least beat the odds in that game...sigh!
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

notahomer wrote:As for stats, one defensive player (Bighill?) trotted out the stat that 83% of the time a defense scores a TOUCHDOWN, (which the Lions Ronnie Yell- edit- OOPS J Johson got the TD-did versus Hamilton), that team wins the football game.

Maybe it means that 83% of the other teams have a better O than the Lions and can therefore take advantage and get the win when the D scores.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:

Under Lions HC Mike Benevides the Lions Offense is becoming boring for the most part.

The games mostly boring these days that the Lions play.

Until Pierce and Logan came into the BC OFF and excited BC fans it dawned on me that this was the most exciting it had been all that season,
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I hadn't heard that stat either and don't know where it came from. However, when I went looking in the official Game Notes for this week's B.C.-Ottawa tilt I found some other interesting stats that help explain the Lions' lack of scoring.
These two clubs rank #8 and #9 in terms drive starting points with long fields to cover. Ottawa has begun a
CFL-low 17 drives in the opposition end and BC is #8 at just 22. The other 7 CFL clubs average 29 opportunities each.
With Tim Brown and Stefan Logan injured, the Lions aren't getting good field position on their returns. They also got pinned inside their own 10-yard line twice last week, leading to the final 7 Hamilton points in a game determined by field position.
Last week, BC started their drives on average at their own 33-yard line and not once in Hamilton’s end
of the field. In the last 3 games, BC has started only 1 of 45 drives in the opponent’s half of the field.
The defence scored on a turnover last week, but the defence and return teams haven't been giving the offence good field position. It's easier to score on a short field. Leaguewide, teams score TDs on 10% of drives that start in their own end of the field and 30% of drives that start in the opponent's end. The Lions have scored TDs on 10.55% of their drives that start on their own side of the field, slightly better than the league average. Calgary has started 15 more drives than the Lions in the opponent's end and has scored 11 more TDs in that situation. The Calgary offence often gets the credit but defence and special teams put them in a position to succeed.

It's easy to criticize the offence but teams usually need all three phases of the game to win games. The B.C. defence and special teams can do more to help the offence by winning the battle for field position.