Fire Khari Jones

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Not disagreeing that Buono and Dickenson probably have had their moments on opposite sides of the fence. However, some of the decisions that SOME Lionbackers most question were ones where Buono chose Dave over another LIons QB at the time :wink:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I will argue that the downward slide started before 2011 and carried over to the first five games in 2011.
I agree TLK, this is a FIVE YEAR (thank you David Bowie) down turn that is all on coaching and mgt. Wally struggled to find adequate talent after OB left (2009/10)...we had a good team in 2011 but they were tripping over themselves...add Mitchell to free up the DEs to get pressure and Bruce to solidify the receivers, and the talent was as good as anyone else's...then at 1-6 Wally read the riot act to this coordinators, JC dumped the spread offence and MB relied heavily on Rich Stubler's ideas and everything turned around. But JC went back to a largely spread offence and Lulay got killed...teams made adjustments against our talent and tendencies and we never changed, until we got rid of Stubler and Chaps, and that only made us worse.

This is ALL ON WALLY BUONO...he stayed too long as HC, he passed over on a run of young, brilliant HCs that were available, and then surrounded himself with "yes men" who he then turned the ship over to...the problem is that NONE OF THEM are in control of the ship because none of them are Captains, especially MB whose football knowledge is shockingly limited.

Everyone says that Dickenson in BC is not possible...maybe, but the Lions have to find someone who has the intelligence, confidence and experience to dance with the other great coaches in this league. If you can't coach on par with Hufnagel, then you shouldn't be hired...Hufnagel and Dickenson versus Benevides and Jones? Wow....
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I will argue that the downward slide started before 2011 and carried over to the first five games in 2011.
You won't have to argue too hard IMO.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
You won't have to argue too hard IMO.
Agreed. The slide started after Dave Ritchie moved on from the organization. And after Bobby Ackles passed away.

And our Grey Cup win in 2011 was like a passing comet, seemingly a one time deal from out of nowhere. We rode Lulay, his legs, his arm and his leadership. Andrew Harris carried the rock. Arland Bruce gave the team confidence. Khalif Mitchell dominated. Since then it has been downhill and accelerating.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:It is worthwhile to note that a lot of the postings on this forum is fan conjecture, speculation. For example, Wally did not look around before anointing Benevides as his successor. We really don't know that for a fact....perhaps he did.....or not. It seems that if something is repeated again and again it takes on a life of it's own.
JC left to the Esks organization because he knew and publically stated that he was superseeded by Benevides for Wally's inner circle. That was when this forum was first given the successor for Wally, it was well known years before Benevides fell into the job vacancy left by Wally. I have stated previously that the Benevides contract given this year was to be a safety net for Beny if the axe had to fall, and that is the way things are shaping up. Nothing will be done until seasons end, but if the results aren't there, Wally softened the blow for Benevides should he have to drop the axe.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:It is worthwhile to note that a lot of the postings on this forum is fan conjecture, speculation. For example, Wally did not look around before anointing Benevides as his successor. We really don't know that for a fact....perhaps he did.....or not. It seems that if something is repeated again and again it takes on a life of it's own.
JC left to the Esks organization because he knew and publically stated that he was superseeded by Benevides for Wally's inner circle. That was when this forum was first given the successor for Wally, it was well known years before Benevides fell into the job vacancy left by Wally. I have stated previously that the Benevides contract given this year was to be a safety net for Beny if the axe had to fall, and that is the way things are shaping up. Nothing will be done until seasons end, but if the results aren't there, Wally softened the blow for Benevides should he have to drop the axe.
I think JC left for a promotion which he blew - Assoc. HC IIRC and OC. He failed to click with the players and his grating style didn't fit. He was laughed at for his hand signals and never really clicked with his future HOF QB who is easy to work with - Ricky Ray.

IIRC he said he when he left that he didn't always feel included in key decisions - something that almost prevented his return to the undoing of what was looking decent to me and heading in the right direction - Kruck-Dorazio with Kruck calling the plays and some exciting run packages that make it not predictable. We had QB injury issues at the time and if that had settled down we'd have been fine. The irony of that is the RUMOURED not always inclusive of Casey Printers in QB meetings. Rumour only.

Truly what I hope Wally is doing is getting these coaches on the same page and finding some new schemes to break the current patterned play and get some offense going. Much like a few seasons ago and JC came out with changed formations and some innovative play calling.

This year for the final games there are no late arrivals from the past to inject new enthusiasm into this offense and team and that only got us so far but it was exciting when Buck came on as did Logan and injected some life into a boring offense.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C. vs. Hamilton. 15 carries - 34 yards - 3 Internationals on the offensive line. Not much more needs to be said. JC is not here. The run game has even more problems now.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
leo4life
All Star

Agree Blitz and who is the common denominater in this offenseive mess? Dorazio,Wally and Benny...lots of blame to go around!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: I can't see Lapo here as his TSN gig is too good. He also wasn't brilliant either at all times.
There's a difference between coming as OC and coming as HC.

I can't tell you I'm in love with the guy. But the week before he was fired, his players played their guts out for him, at home, and they just barely lost to a much better Lions team. Plus, Winnipeg was a complete ownership and front office tire fire when he was HC, so I don't know that he ever got a clean shot at it. Someone in the front office thought that they had found the next Marc Trestman in Gary Crowton and force fed him on LaPolice at the beginning of 2012 at the expense of his then OC, a guy you might remember by the name of Jamie Barresi. That didn't end well for anyone.

I'm not sure what most of you expected after 2007. Championship teams get old, there is a churn as players age out or depart via free agency. I expected a decline after '07, because the window on that era of championship level players was closing, in no small part because we couldn't make a decision between Dickenson and Printers and couldn't keep either of them upright.

Now, did we get "lucky" in 2011? You could argue that we had good personnel made better by some key free agent acquisitions and some key injuries from our opposition, along with a weak GC opponent. But it was inarguably a blip on the radar. If anything, I thought the talent was better in 2012 than 2011, making that season, like 2007, that much more disappointing. (Although, to be fair, that 2007 Western Final was the Grey Cup, and might be the best defensive CFL game of the modern era). Last year is about what you would expect in the 2nd post championship season, honestly.

So do I expect us to be declining now? I'd argue that, ignoring wins and losses for a second, from a personnel/talent standpoint, we're in a better position now than we were in 09,10 or 13. The front office reshuffling Wally did in the offseason resulted in some significant improvements. We have much better NI talent on the Oline than we have in quite some time, our back seven on defence is very good, though the secondary is aging at a couple of key positions. While there is still work to do, we should have competed with Calgyra for the regular season title. So Wally's work, in my mind, is half done. But the coaching staff is clearly failing this team, and the quarterback position is in a serious state of flux due to health issues. Those are two tall orders that a dispassionate GM is going to have to address aggressively this offseason.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: I have stated previously that the Benevides contract given this year was to be a safety net for Beny if the axe had to fall, and that is the way things are shaping up. Nothing will be done until seasons end, but if the results aren't there, Wally softened the blow for Benevides should he have to drop the axe.
Interesting theory. It sure seems that scenario may be coming to fruition.
JohnHenry
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Rammer wrote: I have stated previously that the Benevides contract given this year was to be a safety net for Beny if the axe had to fall, and that is the way things are shaping up. Nothing will be done until seasons end, but if the results aren't there, Wally softened the blow for Benevides should he have to drop the axe.
Interesting theory. It sure seems that scenario may be coming to fruition.
I agree Bene's 1-yr contract extension could potentially be his going away present. Buono made it clear last year he wasn't happy with the coaching and expected an improvement. Bene had to be extended, you can't realistically have your head coach becoming a free agent at the end of the season. Wouldn't the players have less respect for their coach if they think he'll be gone next year? What if the team does a dramatic turnaround with Bene giving his "Any Given Sunday" speech leading to triumphant Grey Cup victory in Vancouver? Wouldn't you want your head coach to be signed for next season (or should we fire the Grey Cup winning coach anyway?)

I wouldn't underestimate Benevides. He's a different kind of coach but might have the right personality to lead a CFL team. The season is 18 games long plus playoffs. The coach should be judged on his wins vs. loses...and right now Bene is one of the winningest coaches in Lions history. Some may claim he was "handed a stacked team" and did nothing with it. Well, who gave him that stacked team? The winningest coach in CFL history. So I wouldn't underestimate Buono either. He knows what he's doing. Wally will get the ship righted. Let's not forget we lost our starting QB, RB and top receiver, along with a cornerback and a revolving door at tackle and guard. I realize all teams suffer injuries but I'd say the Lions coaches and GM would be doing a better job if they had Travis Lulay at QB all season. :wink:
leo4life
All Star

Benny is not head coach material and Wally will have to make changes as the fan base will not tolerate another season of excuses.Injuries are a factor yes but the team struggled when healthy.Leos need to ship out Dorazio and Mcmann at seasons end at the very least imho
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Glenn is saying all the right things. Talking about 'you guys' (the media). Seems to be circling the wagons, us/VerusWORLD kinda thing.

Sorry ain't buying it. I want to watch a professional football team. I see maybe the effort MIGHT be equal but

Certainly the product called BC Lions defence is easy to watch, easy to cheer for and when troubles arise, that product adjusts.

However the product known as BC Lions offence is not easy to watch (most of the time anyways), easy to cheer for but almost never get to and when troubles arise, the troubles persist.

One thing I do agree with Glenn on. It will be cool to look back at all this criticism if the Lions are able to overcome it and win all of their remaining games, including those in the playoffs.....
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Danny Barrrett- Running Backs coach UCF. Someone must have his number on their Rolodex/Contacts list
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
It’s the little things that are killing the B.C. Lions these days, so that was why support staff were busy marking out their workspace Wednesday as if a road rally was about to take place on the practice field.

Something as simple as not running pass routes deep enough was critical in the loss to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. It’s why staffers used small plastic cones to tape down proper yard markers at Tom Binnie Field in Surrey, which is lined for youth soccer, so their receivers can work properly.

B.C. might get a bit of experience back in the lineup if returner Tim Brown does not react adversely from a second day of practice Wednesday after suffering a groin injury Sept. 19 against Toronto.

However, receiver Emmanuel Arceneaux watched for a second straight day. B.C.’s top four receivers at practice had just 12 years of combined CFL experience, meaning coaches have to exercise patience at the most critical part of the season.

“(The yard markers) just help for the function part of practice,” said receivers coach Joe Paopao. “It’s like raising children; you have to be patient but demanding. Right now we’re fighting for our lives offensively just to get some continuity. We’ve had one (decent) drive in two games.”

No one sequence better illustrated B.C.’s problems than their first possession in the second quarter in Hamilton, when the Lions had a cozy 10-3 lead.

On second-and-five, rookie Keola Antolin ran four-yard crossing route, forcing a punt near midfield. Ricky Schmitt’s coffin-corner kick was superb, but the Lions gave up 36 yards and a rough-play penalty, leading to a field goal.

The series of small mistakes is adding up to a season that is starting to spin out of control.

lullrich@theprovince.com
© Copyright (c) The Province
Interesting metaphor by Paopao. "its like raising children; you have to be patient but demanding". What is puzzling in part for me is Paopao then goes on to state the same kinds of things that Fans, Reporters, TV broadcasters state that simply gets a guy like Glenn to say 'thats what we expect out of you guys'. I prefer Gore and Paopao's comments which sound more like how the results on offence seem to me: The Lions offence sucks and they'll be done soon if changes don't happen.