TSN New Website is Crap!!!?? Is this just me? haha

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

First off, TSN do a great in sports coverage... panels to CFL game commentators including my favourite - Rod Black.

But this year it irks me that:

1. They don't put the games up on their site other than via cable companies.

2. Their new website versus their old is crap.

Like so many other sites have done - Canada.com did it and I suspect their numbers are down as I no longer go for their sports coverage etc - TSN is no doubt going to lose their audience as it is the lamest, most p... poor site layout I have seen.

Corporate should be looking to fire whoever is responsible for this debacle.

Or is just my take?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You're not the only one Toppy. I much prefer the old one. Change is not necessarily for the better.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:First off, TSN do a great in sports coverage... panels to CFL game commentators including my favourite - Rod Black.

But this year it irks me that:

1. They don't put the games up on their site other than via cable companies.

2. Their new website versus their old is crap.

Like so many other sites have done - Canada.com did it and I suspect their numbers are down as I no longer go for their sports coverage etc - TSN is no doubt going to lose their audience as it is the lamest, most p... poor site layout I have seen.

Corporate should be looking to fire whoever is responsible for this debacle.

Or is just my take?
Yah, I was a regular visitor to the site and I prefer the old one but I thought it might just be me. One of the things that really frustrates me about the NFL.COM site, for e.g. are automatic VIDEO's. I appreciate the fact there are audio files, stats and videos but let me pick which ones I want. Things like VIDEO's have these LOUD ADVERTISEMENTS TOO. I realize ads are needed to fund things but.......
aklawitter
All Star

I don't mind it. The mobile website is a lot better than the old.

I like that the radio sub-sites are finally streamlined into the main site.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I agree, latest iteration is poor. Just very inefficient use of the available space. Don't like how the main sports menu has become a submenu to a larger menu from which I'm never going to select anything but "Sports".

And I don't get this Bardown thing they're doing. It's just a meaningless word to me and I don't even care to know more about it.

As good as TSN is on my tv screen it's become that bad on my desktop monitor. The only use I have for it is the occasional time I want to check their program listings.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
peeby
Starter

I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP!! Actually, that should be, Hey, they've changed their website and I can't get around it. That's how I feel. Was using TSN to get scores, etc, because I never really liked the Sportsnet one. Any better ones I (a certified old man) should know about?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I use the TSN mobile app for scores, stats and headlines when I'm watching TV or sitting in the stands. It hasn't changed. It's great for the CFL and other pro sports but doesn't cover the NCAA. I use ESPN for that. The main TSN website used to be good but, as others have said, is now crap.
Dusty
Champion

I don't like the new TSN site either. I do not find it useful and am going there fewer and fewer times. I was pissed that they stopped making the games available as a video (after the broadcast) but figured it was part of their business model. I don't subscribe to cable so I don't watch TSN on TV. Now I hardly look at the website..... and get annoyed at the games when there are so many long TV timeouts..... Bah Humbug on TSN....
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I was peeved too about the lack of access to their archived video's. Last time I checked, Bell and Cogeco were the only two cable companies that had access. Of course they took the time to encourage the user to pressure your "local" cable company to get on board. Anybody tried to pressure Shaw into anything? Anybody had difficulty just getting ahold of a real person to speak to? I sent an email to TSN and told them that they could do their own ruddy promotion work. I wasn't impressed. Haven't really looked to much at the new layout but I didn't see it as an improvement.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I liked using the game logs for reference back to games. They have disappeared on TSN.ca. The ones on CFL.ca are often only partially complete such as the Lions/Stamps game last weekend.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

new website SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wish they had a "go back to classic view" button
sea2sky
prospect

Totally agree ... shows traits of someone who has likely been a user of such a site . E.G. no fast way to see game score summaries other than a clumsy toggle across the page. Old site much much better ... in this case change has not been an improvement.
Heathcliff
Rookie

I used to spend a fair amount of time browsing the TSN site, watching videos, reading articles and finding out about upcoming events I might want to watch.

The new layout is absolutely horrendous. I dislike the general trend on major sites toward mobile-friendly browsing; I understand the desire to be mobile-friendly but as far as I'm concerned it completely ruins my browsing experience. Since they switched over to the new layout I have stopped browsing their site altogether, not because I'm angrily boycotting but because I simply get zero pleasure from browsing it and I would much prefer to be doing other things. Good luck to them with this disastrous new site.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

You are right Toppy, its horrid!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:First off, TSN do a great in sports coverage... panels to CFL game commentators including my favourite - Rod Black.
Rod Black? This is masterful trolling. Well done.