Grey Cup halftime show is Imagine Dragons

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Never heard of them. Doubt very much that fans will suddenly rush to buy Grey Cup tickets to hear them play a couple of songs.
You haven't? How on earth have you managed to avoid hearing Radioactive? Lucky SOB.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Never heard of them. Doubt very much that fans will suddenly rush to buy Grey Cup tickets to hear them play a couple of songs.
You haven't? How on earth have you managed to avoid hearing Radioactive? Lucky SOB.
Would I be dating myself too badly if my first thought went to that Jimmy Page/Paul Rodgers post-Zep/BadCo project?

[video][/video]
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
Never heard of them either. I prefer classical and old time rock n'roll
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

With Bruce Allen on the Grey Cup committee, you can be sure the halftime act will be first class. Imagine Dragons are extremely hot with the twentysomething crowd, who filled Rogers Arena to see the band in February. I'm not sure that many music fans will buy tickets to see them play a few songs at the Grey Cup halftime show but they'll definitely tune in on TV, which is what really counts.
dupsdell1
Champion

I agree the cfl is going out of the box . instead of having these old Canadian bands which we all know , the CFL is trying go younger , but unforantly not too many are going to the game just to watch this group there is a thing called a football game going on , I say the game will sell out, but it might take till when the playoffs start, as I see on ticket master there has not been a huge push.
BC 1988
Legend

I don't think the band announcement will make a difference in selling out the GC. Ticket prices are too high to draw people just for a short performance.

The GC will sell out anyway if one of EDM, CGY, or SSK are in it (and of course BC, but that would take a miracle).
Rammer
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:I don't think the band announcement will make a difference in selling out the GC. Ticket prices are too high to draw people just for a short performance.

The GC will sell out anyway if one of EDM, CGY, or SSK are in it (and of course BC, but that would take a miracle).
Like being the first team to finish 4th and do a crossover and represent the East?
Entertainment value = an all time low
BC 1988
Legend

Rammer wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:I don't think the band announcement will make a difference in selling out the GC. Ticket prices are too high to draw people just for a short performance.

Like being the first team to finish 4th and do a crossover and represent the East?
Yes, that would have been realistic with Harris in the lineup, and HAM without their #1 QB.
The first big test will be tomorrow. Right now, I thnk HAM will be in the GC again this year.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Their most famous song would be Radioactive in which they won a Grammy for Best Rock Performance, followed by Demons in which they won Alt Rock Song of the Year at the iHeartRadio Music Awards.
[video][/video]

But what's shocking and maybe even disappointing is that for the longest time, almost all of the Grey Cup halftime performers were CANADIAN musicians which is fittingly appropriate for what is perhaps Canada's biggest sporting event.

It looks like the trend was broken in 2005 Grey Cup also held at BC Place when the American hip hop group The Black Eyed Peas performed at halftime. Then in 2007 Toronto followed suit when American Lenny Kravitz performed. :hmm: After that all the halftime performers were all Canadian but just when you thought that it will be a Canadian-only event going forward, that trend is broken yet again with the Imagine Dragons were are certainly NOT Canadian as that band is originally from Las Vegas, as is their lead singer Dan Reynolds.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

No reason why the GC halftime *has* to be Canadian. The Super Bowl halftime has featured The Who and Paul McCartney in recent years and I don't think anybody south of the border cared all that much that they're not American. As I also mentioned recently, Tom Jones played at the AFL Grand Final in Melbourne a week ago even though he's not Australian.

There's only so many Canadian acts anyway. There are logistical factors that will rule out some acts in a given year as they could be touring in other far-flung parts of the world or otherwise busy on some other project, e.g., filming promotional videos or recording a new album or whatever, so you could be left with limited options if you insist on them having the right birth certificate. You have to cast a wider net.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I suppose to be fair the NFL have used non-American performers - aside from Paul McCartney, the English band Rolling Stones sang in 2006. And Canadian Celine Dion sang in the pregame festivities in 2003.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

How about this group

Every day that passes is one you can't get back
smphantom
Legend

Excellent choice for the Half Time Show! Now, if only the Lions can get rid of their "Demons" and find a way to get to the Grey Cup.
Stay thirsty my friends.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
Never heard of them either. I prefer classical and old time rock n'roll
LOL. Radioactive isn't a band (or it might be, who knows) it's the name of one of their crappy songs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Goes to show how much I follow that band.