Lulay to forgo surgery, eyes regular-season comeback

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Rammer wrote:TEAM 1040 on the Pratt show said that all the off season surgery was completed undone according to the doctor. With that in mind, I can't see him throwing again without surgery that was deemed necessary in the off season, and it won't be with the authority that a QB needs this season.
I recall that comment being made shortly after the Ottawa game but can't recall if it was actually made by a Lions team doctor or if it was made before or after the MRI Lulay was to undergo.
Pratt offered it up this morning on his joke of a show with that other guy.
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Lulay's career is at the point where he has to play to fulfil his contract. The Lions won't carry him on the 6-game IL for a full season at $450,000, only to have him become a free agent for 2016, available to any team at any price. They're also unlikely to bring him back next year under his current contract and risk that he might play only one or two games. The only way he can try to protect his contract status is to come back and play well in the final few games of the regular season and postseason. Even then, the Lions might want to sign him to an incentive-based extension with a lower base salary and performance bonuses for games played.
Well, I don't know. This scenario (returning to action in what's left of this season) would seem to be potentially very risky, involving pressure on Lulay to return to action before he's really ready physically. I agree that the team won't carry him on IL for a full season at full salary, and that a re-worked incentive-based contract might well make sense in 2015, but I don't see the need to rush him back this season for that to play out in 2015. Frankly, I can't see either Lulay or the Lions forcing the issue in what remains of the 2014 season. In my view, Kevin Glenn can take the team the rest of the way--regardless of how far that goes--leaving Lulay to heal up properly.