Stampeders 14 - Lions 7 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
pennw wrote:Jcalhoun ,To your question regarding Beck , that guy couldn't even complete a pass to a wide open receiver 10 yards in front of him with out hitting the ground 5 yards up field.
I get the impression his arm is just flat-out shot.
Actually, no. Ironically, Beck might have the liveliest arm among all 4 BC quarterbacks (including a healthy Travis). It's just that between the practice field and when the stadium lights get turned on, something goes horribly wrong.

There's no way a guy with his knowledge and experience should look that uncomfortable behind centre. He's been here since April. He sees lots of first team reps in practice. He's had real playing time now. Hell, he even instructs elite level QBs at an academy in the off-season. How can he be doing silly things like throwing off his back foot instead of stepping into his throws?

DH :cool:
Some players look good in practice but not so much in game situation. Other players look awful in practice but excel in game situations. Beck seems to be the former.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz
Team Captain

Great post WCJ....thanks for responding with your insights. I'm starting to think 'agreeability' might have significance in this case. Some people are not as confident as they appear to be on the outside and I really believe that Wally is a very insecure person inside. And whenever a person says something to me...like 'oh they're just insecure....I always say take out the 'JUST" because insecure people can be very unfair, not authenctic, not upfront, and often scary.

I believe Wally's hiring practices, often presented under the guise of loyalty, are really driven by insecurity. Those who have been rewarded recognized it. When Benevedes called the Glenn trade 'the trade of the century' he was trying to flatter his boss. It's likely a behavior that he has engaged in a ton.

Confident 'bosses' are not afraid to hire people who are confident in themselves, who have strong ideas or personalities. They believe they can lead those confident people with their new ideas and bring them together. Authoritative bosses are afraid of those types. There is a huge gap between the concept of leadership and the concept of authority...they are very different things. Authoritative bosses want sycophants and flatterers. They want to hire or work with people who will mirror them as well as people they can mould. They don't look for the best of the best or want to work with the best of the best...they want to hire people who are non-threatening to their ego and rarely are these types ever really future leaders.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Well, there's the other factor that I mentioned...Benevides is a Christian like Wally...both McMann and Dorazio are born again Christians, brought in by Wally I believe, and again that's great, but someone's personal beliefs should not guide a massive business like a football team...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Blitz wrote:Great post WCJ....thanks for responding with your insights. I'm starting to think 'agreeability' might have significance in this case. Some people are not as confident as they appear to be on the outside and I really believe that Wally is a very insecure person inside. And whenever a person says something to me...like 'oh they're just insecure....I always say take out the 'JUST" because insecure people can be very unfair, not authenctic, not upfront, and often scary.

I believe Wally's hiring practices, often presented under the guise of loyalty, are really driven by insecurity. Those who have been rewarded recognized it. When Benevedes called the Glenn trade 'the trade of the century' he was trying to flatter his boss. It's likely a behavior that he has engaged in a ton.

Confident 'bosses' are not afraid to hire people who are confident in themselves, who have strong ideas or personalities. They believe they can lead those confident people with their new ideas and bring them together. Authoritative bosses are afraid of those types. There is a huge gap between the concept of leadership and the concept of authority...they are very different things. Authoritative bosses want sycophants and flatterers. They want to hire or work with people who will mirror them as well as people they can mould. They don't look for the best of the best or want to work with the best of the best...they want to hire people who are non-threatening to their ego and rarely are these types ever really future leaders.
Blitz, I love your posts when they stick to football, but I have to take exception to your first two paragraphs as they are really based on your personal speculation and are not fact based.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Well, there's the other factor that I mentioned...Benevides is a Christian like Wally...both McMann and Dorazio are born again Christians, brought in by Wally I believe, and again that's great, but someone's personal beliefs should not guide a massive business like a football team...
Might be time for these gentlemen to ask the Man Upstairs for some divine intervention. :wink:
leo4life
All Star

I believe Mr.Washington is a christan as well
leo4life
All Star

Other news WR Paris Jackson inks with Eskimos...Leos play there Nov.1st...PJ will be very fired up for that match up
David
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Blitz, I love your posts when they stick to football, but I have to take exception to your first two paragraphs as they are really based on your personal speculation and are not fact based.
No offense DanoT, but isn't what this board is for - personal opinions? Not sure how Blitz's viewpoints on Wally's hiring practices are different to anyone else's theories on here??
MexicoLionFan wrote:Well, there's the other factor that I mentioned...Benevides is a Christian like Wally...both McMann and Dorazio are born again Christians, brought in by Wally I believe, and again that's great, but someone's personal beliefs should not guide a massive business like a football team...
Yup. Kind of what I was hinting at in my earlier post MLF about the "Lord working in mysterious ways," when Stubler and Chapdelaine were dismissed but the others kept on despite less-than-stellar results year after year.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Other news WR Paris Jackson inks with Eskimos...Leos play there Nov.1st...PJ will be very fired up for that match up
Thats great to hear, IMO. Love to see Reilly firing some throws PJ's way........
Blitz
Team Captain

Blitz, I love your posts when they stick to football, but I have to take exception to your first two paragraphs as they are really based on your personal speculation and are not fact based. DanoT
Sorry you took exception Dano T. My comments were certainly speculation on the topic, as are others who have commented with their perspectives. A lot of stuff we write on Lionbackers are our opinions or views, and are not fact based, but obviously you didn't like the post and you have every right to say so.

On a different topic...I have been a fan of Paris Jackson for a number of seasons....much more so after he was taken out of our Leos staring lineup and was a very good teammate and B.C. Lion. It was great to read a couple of weeks ago, in a newspaper article, that our receivers missed his leadership this season...and its obviously not easy to be a leader while also not a starter.

So I'm very pleased to see Paris get another opportunity. :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:On a different topic...I have been a fan of Paris Jackson for a number of seasons....much more so after he was taken out of our Leos staring lineup and was a very good teammate and B.C. Lion. It was great to read a couple of weeks ago, in a newspaper article, that our receivers missed his leadership this season...and its obviously not easy to be a leader while also not a starter.

Me too! I respect and understand many fans loving of #81 Geroy Simon. He got lots of credit for being a great leader, IIRC. I wonder though if it was the kinds of things Simon was saying? I mention this because, IMO, we had another couple great recievers (Clermont and Paris Jackson) who played alongside #81. IMO, Jackson and Clermont seemed to be the kinds of Lions who led by doing. Simon is, was and always will be an awesome HOFamer. But we need the leadership of guys like Jackson too, IMO. (obviously we can't have it, Paris is an Eskimo.....)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Blitz wrote:
Blitz, I love your posts when they stick to football, but I have to take exception to your first two paragraphs as they are really based on your personal speculation and are not fact based. DanoT
Sorry you took exception Dano T. My comments were certainly speculation on the topic, as are others who have commented with their perspectives. A lot of stuff we write on Lionbackers are our opinions or views, and are not fact based, but obviously you didn't like the post and you have every right to say so.

On a different topic...I have been a fan of Paris Jackson for a number of seasons....much more so after he was taken out of our Leos staring lineup and was a very good teammate and B.C. Lion. It was great to read a couple of weeks ago, in a newspaper article, that our receivers missed his leadership this season...and its obviously not easy to be a leader while also not a starter.

I know a lot of what is said here is speculation and sometimes wishful thinking and not necessarily fact based, but when it comes to analyzing someone's personality and then drawing conclusions when you may or may not have ever met him and certainly don't really know him, is more presumptuous than I am comfortable accepting without commenting on.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Blitz wrote:

I know a lot of what is said here is speculation and sometimes wishful thinking and not necessarily fact based, but when it comes to analyzing someone's personality and then drawing conclusions when you may or may not have ever met him and certainly don't really know him, is more presumptuous than I am comfortable accepting without commenting on.
My comments Dano T. were based upon his hiring practices and certainly drawing some opinions from those hiring practices....and others have drawn conclusions from those hiring practices as well. In FACT, those hiring practices have drawn a lot of comments on Lionbackers over the years, on numerous threads. Does that mean I have it right? No. Are they presumptuous? Yes. But certainly, based on those practices, its not an unreasonable supposition based upon insularity. Other Lionbackers have drawn different conclusions, such as religion or belief systems, which is a conclusion I have not arrived at.

And yet you've not been offended by those comments and they could be considered presumptuous too, based upon the same theme and those posters may not really know him either... ...so you're reaction surprises me, having read and enjoyed your posts for a long time now. But having stated your reason...thank you for clarifying...guess we just differ on this one.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Yes, Washington is a VERY strong Christian...while he was a player, he led the team's Chappel services and worked league wide to spread the word and what he felt was the need for Christians league wide to get together after games and during the offseason...

Dano, you are such a great football mind and a great poster here, but Blitz's speculations are what make this site so great and fun to read. Most everyone does it here, including you sometimes, so just enjoy, like you, Blitz has such a brilliant mind!

David, I knew what you were leading at...I just wanted to make it a little clearer...and again, its fine whatever anyone wants to believes (I just hope it makes them happy!), but with the Lions there is a pattern here with Wally. There was a story done by LU about 5 years ago on Dorazio, and it went through all the problems he had in his life and how Wally helped him turns things around through his church. It portrayed Dorazio as a bit of a tough case and short on money. So I get and understand personal loyalties, I really do, but as Joe said, in the public forum, its a business that demands results. Wally could easily promote Kelly Bates to OL Coach and give Dorazio and organizational title, that would provide some money and a connection to the team...but the franchise, its players and fans have to come first.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein